Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

ImpAtom posted:

Well, the closest I can think of then is Alpha Protocol. It's probably not really what you're thinking of, but I seriously can't think of another RPG/RPG-like game set in modern day that doesn't have sci-fi, fantasy or horror elements to it.

Yeah, it looks like Alpha Protocol is the closest I'm likely to get. It's a shame it apparently isn't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JihadforChrist
Mar 19, 2010
EDIT *Deleted my post because I don't want to possibly spoil this game for anybody its so awesome. Sure I edited my post like a crazy madman and I stand by it.*

JihadforChrist fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 2, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Recently Wizardry-type RPGs have been the ones interesting me the most. I'm almost finished with Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, and I also just discovered Doom 2 RPG on my iphone. And of course, Etrian Odyssey 3 just came out if those two run out of stuff for me.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

Yeah, it looks like Alpha Protocol is the closest I'm likely to get. It's a shame it apparently isn't very good.

I wouldn't say it's bad, but chances are you won't get your money's worth. The writing is some kind of cross between a bad Bond movie and Burn Notice, so you might find it okay. The gameplay is decent, but boss bottles feel like they were ripped out of a 1990s platformer. Level design varies between places that work really well and Time Crisis-esque rail shooter levels that completely suck.

It's the sort of game I'd recommend buying on discount and enjoy once through. It's not terribly long, but multiple playthroughs would be pretty boring even with different decisions and missions to do.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Recently Wizardry-type RPGs have been the ones interesting me the most. I'm almost finished with Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, and I also just discovered Doom 2 RPG on my iphone. And of course, Etrian Odyssey 3 just came out if those two run out of stuff for me.

May I suggest Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven. It's loving awesome.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

sixide posted:

I wouldn't say it's bad, but chances are you won't get your money's worth. The writing is some kind of cross between a bad Bond movie and Burn Notice, so you might find it okay. The gameplay is decent, but boss bottles feel like they were ripped out of a 1990s platformer. Level design varies between places that work really well and Time Crisis-esque rail shooter levels that completely suck.

It's the sort of game I'd recommend buying on discount and enjoy once through. It's not terribly long, but multiple playthroughs would be pretty boring even with different decisions and missions to do.

I've heard about a hundred different opinions on AP, all of them different. It has to do with how they learnt to play the game, and what they came in expecting, most of the time anyway.

Personally I loved the game once I fixed some of the issues I had with it /(mostly due to my own computer setup) , and I still look back at it fondly. Multiple playthroughs can be plenty awesome (though it's one of the few games where I'd say it's ok to cheat after a playthrough or three, to smooth out the exploratory experience and to experiment with the many hidden gems the game has).

I know a lot of people who came to this game not wanting to like it and whom are now gushing about it quite loudly. I'd give the recommendation to power through it at least halfway (and give it a rental if that's your thing), to help you decide if there's anything in there you'd want to enjoy. The AP thread is always open for questions if you're confused about anything :)

As for Gaia, yeah it was kinda depressing but frankly it was all the more fun for it. It made you feel like you were actually exposed to danger and hardship and made the story all the more compelling (though a few clichés are indeed hinted at in some of the events of the story, most of the game is just rock-solid writing).

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

The latest wizardry game (8? or 7?) got on my nerves so hardcore due to the constant random encounters

I was so happy to pull into town after the tutorial dungeon + stroll to a safe haven and what do i see? Gigantic groups of bandits and raiders roaming around as I go from place to place.

The game scales with level and repopulates monsters immediately so you cant even clear out a town and enjoy yourself, after dispatching the raiders you have to start slogging through androids and poo poo.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

MeinGott posted:

I have always wanted to play the Final Fantasy games but never do since I will play an RPG then put it on hold for a while and pick it back up. Is there a specific FF I can do this with and not be: "Duhh what the gently caress was I doing?", or does that really not matter?

E: spelling is so hard :(

Why not try playing a DS game? Dragon Quest 9 and suikoden tierkeis both have logs where you can just look back at what happened recently. That was a major selling point for me when playing those games.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Aight, just making sure we don't go further without seeing Skies of Arcadia Originally for the dreamcast, theres another version for GCN out there, but if you're an rpg fan PICK THE gently caress UP OUT OF THIS GAME. loving sky pirates!? loving evil empire!? Awesome, engaging characters than you give shits about!? Oh and the protagonist isn't emo! I've played through this over ten times wand I don't really plan on stopping any time soon!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Everyone should play Nier. Probably the best unique rpg to come out in a long time.

Edit: This especially goes for the guy who wants a game in a setting outside the norm. Games fuckin crazy.

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 2, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Aight, just making sure we don't go further without seeing Skies of Arcadia Originally for the dreamcast, theres another version for GCN out there, but if you're an rpg fan PICK THE gently caress UP OUT OF THIS GAME. loving sky pirates!? loving evil empire!? Awesome, engaging characters than you give shits about!? Oh and the protagonist isn't emo! I've played through this over ten times wand I don't really plan on stopping any time soon!

It is worth noting that if the Grand List of Console RPG Cliches wasn't the design document for Skies of Arcadia, something close was. If you have to ask yourself 'is this person going to turn out to be evil,' the answer is yes. If you ask yourself 'is there a deus ex mechina coming' the answer is yes. If you ask yourself 'am I going to solve this problem with the power of hope and friendship' the answer is yes.

All that said, though, it's a very well done retelling of a story we've heard a thousand times before.
(also it is a minor plot point that you discover the world is round)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Mandrill posted:

Everyone should play Nier. Probably the best unique rpg to come out in a long time.

Nier is probably one of the only RPG's I like on the next gen consoles. Story is great, music is even better.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They probably don't get the hype they should because they're already in everyone's homes, but it's worth giving a shout out to the Dark Cloud series anyway.

They're the first games made by Level 5, so if you've ever played Rogue Galaxy you'll know what to expect. Zelda-style combat, giant randomized dungeons (including a bonus 99 floor dungeon at the end). But I like Dark Cloud more than any of Level 5's later games, because they throw a lot of different ideas at the wall.

As you clear each floor of the different dungeons you're slowly restoring a town back to order, and rebuilding it, and like SimCity you are placing the buildings down and laying out the city, after which they will provide you with their wares and chests and quests and NPCs, as well as future party members.

The games have some eccentric mechanics, like weapons that level up but can break if not maintained (and you lose it for good), dehydration, photography, inventing items, optional minigolf after clearing dungeon floors, special floors with draconian restrictions (ie cant cast spells, cant gain XP), and everyone's favorite, fishing.

And while I'm talking about kitchen sink games, I'll also mention Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. I'm pretty sure all BOF fans hate this game, but it's pretty decent. The game has a time limit that speeds up whenever you cheat by using your Dragon powers, and encourages you to start over, keeping accumulated party XP and gaining new cutscenes. The battle system is kind of quirky but not in a bad way. It's grid based, and radius based, so there's a bit of a tactical flavor to it.

But whatever you guys do never play a Xenosaga game or you will pick up your PS2 and throw it out the window. Worst RPG I've ever played, possibly worst game I've ever played.

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I really want to play an RPG (preferably jRPG) with a setting outside of the standard fantasy fare. Can anyone recommend some? I've already played all the FF's, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1, Shin Megami Tensei 2, Persona 2&3, Grandia, Front Mission 3, Snatcher (not really an RPG), KotOR 1&2, Fallout 2&3, Lost Odyssey, Deus Ex, Septerra Core, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 2, and Star Ocean 2%3.

One of my first Final Fantasy memories is the opening of FFVI with the panorama of the Imperial City; that and FFVII's Midgar really left an impression on me. I think that those two cities were some of the coolest creations in video games, and it was a shame that the player didn't get to explore them more, imo. So I'm hoping someone can maybe point out a game that I've missed that has that kind of setting that you get to explore at some point. But speaking more broadly, have I missed any good higher-tech-than-feudal-setting RPG's?
Albion. Great RPG with a unique (for CRPGs at least) setting though much of it is actually low-tech. Not sure how easy it is to get it running on a modern computer but I'm gonna try some day, never finished it when I played it a few years ago for some reason.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Persona 4 is the best RPG out there. It has the best writing, the best characters, the best voice acting, the best plot and a delightful battle system that doesn't get tedious no matter how long you play.

Get bent! Get bent! Get bent!

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's also important to mention that this game is an indirect sequel to Space Jam.

Anyone who read that and said "eh I don't know, I might like it" just do yourself a favor and download it. I got it on a whim and then didn't actually play it until 6 months later, but it pretty much took over my weekend.

I never would have guessed that the save point speeches were actually said by anyone ironically.

Not all the save point speeches are copied from the internet, but the ones that that aren't are written like ones that are. Bento Box is even mentioned in one of them, if I remember right.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Thuryl posted:

Have you tried Anachronox? The gameplay is a bit clunky, but if you could tolerate Septerra Core...

This is one of my favorite RPGs. There's actually a mod out there that allows you to speed up battle so it's plenty bearable. I wouldn't recommend trying to play it without it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Megaflare posted:

This is one of my favorite RPGs. There's actually a mod out there that allows you to speed up battle so it's plenty bearable. I wouldn't recommend trying to play it without it.

Holy poo poo.

I loved the plot, sense of humour and designs in the game, but couldn't stand the battles and so never finished it. Might give it another try with that.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

This thread is my favorite thread. I love me a good RPG.

Dr_Amazing posted:

What are some more games that are in the style of the first two fallouts and Arcanum?

Planescape: Torment is the king of the old-school isometric point-and-click RPGs. It starts off simple enough: The Nameless One-- that's you-- wakes up in the morgue with amnesia and is trying to figure out how the gently caress he got there, who he is, and what exactly is going on in this bizarre city full of portals to other dimensions.

Oh, and there's a wise-cracking floating skull who taunts the enemy so hard it gives them penalties.

Wacky hijinks, dungeon-crawling, and perpetually burning wizards make it fun for the whole family.

Beyond that, Baldur's Gate and its sequel are both very good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

JihadforChrist posted:

Can we please talk about Illusion Of Gaia now?
I love Illusion of Gaia so much, and definitely consider it superior to Terranigma. It's definitely one of the darker SNES games, and it was so cool visiting many real locations.

I wish they'd release it on the VC, I'd love to replay it. And get all frustrated over not finding all of the red gems all over again.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

^^^^You and me both. Glad I got ahold of a copy of Illusion of Gaia at a used games store.

JihadforChrist posted:

Can we please talk about Illusion Of Gaia now?

One of the most overlooked SNES rpg's ever Illusion Of Gaia (also known as Illusion Of Time) is one of the most unique and somber games I've ever played.

I second this. I loved it as a kid and I just replayed it recently and still enjoy it. Much of the game is pretty sad when you get into it, like Jihad said, it deals with themes like loss of loved ones, slavery, cruelty, and stuff like that.

Its part of a loosely bound SNES trilogy: Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma. (I heard Granstream Saga is the 4th in the series, but I haven't played it yet. Its for PS1)

I recommend Terranigma for the same reasons as Illusion of Gaia. Enix didn't have an american publisher at the time it came out, so it only got an english release in Europe, I dont think its seen any kind of rerelease so finding a rom is the only way to get it. I found out the hard way trying to get used game stores to find a copy.

Terranigma is also an action RPG, its been awhile since I played it but unlike Gaia you level more traditionally and can find the occasional store. Its based around a boy named Ark, and your job is to revive the world. You start off raising the continents and then reviving different forms of life and eventually people. And like Gaia it takes place on Earth, you can even meet Christopher Columbus, and at one point the Wright brothers will develop airplanes.

The themes are very much the same as Gaia too. Even before humanity is revived you deal with many human problems like the loss of loved ones, and after the revival suffering, greed, etc. Much of the cast doesn't show up until halfway through the game this time around, but the historical mashup setting is pretty interesting.

I mentioned the loosely bound trilogy, these games all have a certain amount of crossover. Soulblazer and Terranigma both have you reviving life that is sealed away by monsters. A boss from Soulblazer is also a secret boss in Illusion of Gaia. Gaia and Terranigma both take place on Earth. There is also some repeating spritework. The Moon Tribe in Gaia has the same sprite as some enemies later on in Soulblazer, and I know I have seen others. This is a serious spoiler for Terranigma but Dark and Light Gaia are in both Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma but in opposite roles.

Edit: If you are interested in these games be careful reading Claven666's post two below mine, he has no spoiler tags at all. Goddamn, spoiler that poo poo Claven.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 2, 2010

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I played an old SNES rom that I'd like to try again. It had a really generic name like ninja quest. It was interesting in that you didn't have a preset party, but instead had this giant list of NPC characters you could randomly run into that you could fight, bribe or talk into joining you. There was also some sort of espionage side thing where you could sneak into palaces to find information, but I don't really remember how that worked.

Anyone know what I;m talking about?

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
As long as we're talking about Illusion of Gaia, we might as well get on the subject of Soul Blazer and Terranigma. I wouldn't classify any of these three games as a true RPG, but they definitely all have some RPG elements.

Soul Blazer basically puts you in the shoes of an angel. You're working for the Creator to bring various different dimensions back from the dead after they've been laid to waste by the demon Death Toll. You do this by killing monsters in that universe's version of the underworld. Monsters spawn from monster lairs, and once you've killed all of the monsters in that particular monster lair you can heal it. Every time you heal a monster lair, a part of the world comes back to life. Some of the monster lairs can't be found unless you get items from people you have previously brought to life. Because the game deals a lot with mortality and death, there are some quite poignant moments. Plus, the music rocks.

Fine, pansies, but when you get through it you'll see I really give away nothing about what actually happens. Terranigma pretty much has the same plot as Soul Blazer, but you're a demon tasked with resurrecting the world so souls can be reaped from it again. Of course, as you do not know you're a demon and are supposed to be evil until halfway through the game, you say "gently caress no" and try to protect the world. Your character fights with pointy sticks and is actually a pretty bad-rear end fighter. The story is pretty complex and the music is quite awesome. I've never managed to finish Terranigma, mostly because something even more awesome comes along. In this case, I'd start playing it and then New Vegas would come out, rendering the point moot.

Then, there's King's Field. It is extremely hard to get the ball rolling with these games as your character always starts of pretty squishy, but every entry I've played has been extremely imaginitive and engrossing. The games take place in a very dark fantasy setting where humankind has to scratch out an existence while horrible monsters roam the earth trying to slaughter them. The game stresses exploration and discovery, and like most true "open world" games you're barred from the more advanced areas by monster strength, though some places are locked by magic or items. The graphics and game speed of the first King's Field are bad/slow but it is worth playing just because there is a relatively large amount of game to explore.

E: f/b

Radical and BADical! fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 3, 2010

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Aight, just making sure we don't go further without seeing Skies of Arcadia

Stop right there.

I wanted to love this game again after not playing it for several years. It's got a great storyline, excellent characters, and a setting that is simply outstanding. I'll definitely give you all of those points.

But the game is so balls-on-a-cheese-grater impossible when it comes to battles. I don't see how I didn't go (more) insane as a result. You have random encounters every five seconds no matter where you go, big actions take way too long to charge up and use unless you're high level, and bosses are always the same level as you. This was okay in Lunar, because your characters were simply stronger through leveling than without anyway, but in Skies of Arcadia it doesn't matter what you do. 85% of bosses after the first third of the game will decimate you, over and over again, until you tear out your hair. Oh, and 50% revival chance with basic revive items and spells? ARGGGGGGH. Prepare to spend eight turns trying to revive the same character who got insta-killed because there's only one item in the whole game that protects against it!

Ship battles were pretty sweet, though. That's what the entire game should've been.

Oh, and whoever is recommending Soul Blazer, Terranigma, and Illusion of Gaia is absolutely right. Play those games.

^^^ Edit: Sheesh, man. Use some [/spoiler] tags for Terranigma. You just gave away the whole plot like it was nothing.

Miketopus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 2, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dr_Amazing posted:

I played an old SNES rom that I'd like to try again. It had a really generic name like ninja quest. It was interesting in that you didn't have a preset party, but instead had this giant list of NPC characters you could randomly run into that you could fight, bribe or talk into joining you. There was also some sort of espionage side thing where you could sneak into palaces to find information, but I don't really remember how that worked.

Sounds like you might be talking about Inindo: Way of the Ninja. I vaguely remember it being pretty good.

If we can promote our own stuff here, I've made a few RPGs over the years, all are freeware, most are incomplete: http://superwalrusland.com/wiki/index.php/Super_Walrus_Games

Walthros is complete and about 7-12 hours long depending on whether you do sidequests. It was my first attempt to draw pixel are, and most of the graphics are from 1998. The writing's kind of painfully dated to me, but it's got a unique setting (dinosaurs, talking walruses, fish aliens as heroes) even if it's got a very generic story (find crystals!)

I'm proud of Village People: The Videogame, but the version online is just an early demo.

These games are all 8-16 bit JRPG style games so don't play them if you hate those.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 2, 2010

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

But speaking more broadly, have I missed any good higher-tech-than-feudal-setting RPG's?

The World Ends With You uses modern Tokyo as a setting, highly recommended if you have a DS.

Live a Live (SNES) presents a variety of short chapters placed in different eras, ranging from prehistorical to futuristic.

Nathilus posted:

The Way

No, don't. The series devolves as it goes on, forgets plot points and has reveals that would be retarded by Square-Enix standards. The gameplay becomes increasingly more boring and painful as well.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Yeah man, spoiler Terrienigma. I literally just started playing it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Miketopus posted:

bosses are always the same level as you.

Only the bounty hunt fights level with you. Every other boss stays the same I'm pretty sure.

As for good rpgs, anybody mention the Shadow Hearts games yet? I haven't played Koudelka (which from what I've seen is a mix of very slow-paced strategy rpg combined with resident evil), but I've beaten the rest of the games. The battle systems are pretty fun, with Shadow Hearts 1 making you do a sorta quick time event to pull off anything, Shadow Hearts Covenant adding in combos, area of effect attacks, and different kinds of attacks, and From The New World adding even more to the battle system to make each fight relatively unique and giving you the option to chain together all of your characters' attacks into an 8-turn long combo.

The games are a combination of lovecraft horror and comedy, the locations range from modern buildings of pre-world war 1 Europe and China (shadow hearts), world war 1 Europe and Japan (covenant), and post-world war 1 North America and South America (from the new world). The plot of the games are okay but the dungeons are always varied (especially from covenant and on), the battles are always tough but fair, and I can't think of another video game that has had Princess Anastasia Romanov be best friends with a gay pro-wrestling vampire who studies under the Great Gama. They're all PS2 games, I'd suggest checking them out.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Back to Alpha Protocol for a second: It's one of my favorite games. There's a lot of things people look for in RPGs - hell, there's a lot of different things I look for in RPGs - but my personal favorite is the "choose-your-own-adventure" sense. In this regard, in terms of player action affecting the plot, Alpha Protocol is probably the best game ever released. It has it's flaws, to be sure - the combat is only so-so, it glitches occasionally, and apparently the PC release is awkward to control? But I beat it four times without stopping. I've never finished a second play through of any Bioware or hell, Black Isle game (actually... might have beaten Fallout 2 twice) but Alpha Protocol allows you to react in so many interesting and different ways, that it blew me the gently caress away. So if the interactive storytelling thing is part of what draws you to RPGs, I actually can't really recommend anything more than Alpha Protocol. (Vampire: Bloodlines, as mentioned, is also really good at this. I also loving love in Vampire that your decisions don't necessarily change your actions, but they completely re-contextualize them so you're doing similar things for different reasons. It's a clever and very successful way to give player choice in a game where they probably didn't have the resources to map out whole different levels or whatever.)

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish we'd get another one of these on the PC, even as an indie game.

Claven666 posted:

:words: about Terranigma
You should know better than this.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Dark Cloud stuff

I love these two games, I've replayed the second one more times than I can remember. The second kind of expands on the first while changing a few things, like less playable party members than the first, making weapons not break permanently when they break, and making fishing much less worth doing. My favorite addition, though, is an invention system, which if you're diligent about it, allows you to make things way before they start showing up in shops or chests. Basically, you go around in the towns or cities you have access to and take pictures of things-- anything from generic things like trees and rocks to location-specific things like glowing mushrooms or gemstones, then you combine three of these "ideas" to make a blueprint for an item, which can then be built out of raw materials. I thought it was pretty cool the first time around when I wasn't using a guide, but then when I replayed with a guide I realized how much amazing gear you can get early using it.

The town-building is a little different, too, in that instead of very specific town parts, like "Macho's House" or whatever you'll just build generic houses of various types (steel, wood, straw) and put whoever you want inside them. This allows for a little more customization of your villages, though you'll still have some specific guidelines you have to meet, like Place 15 Trees or X lives next to Y. This is sort of a good and bad thing, because while I like more customization, the items you want in your village have to be built out of materials which you can either find in dungeons or buy. This ends up taking up a lot of money if you want it to get done quickly.

Even with all my love for the series, for anyone that hasn't played them, be sure to play them in order. After playing DC2 a few times it's really hard to go back to the original. Dark Cloud was one of the first games I bought for the PS2 and going back to it is pretty hard because it's missing a lot of cool stuff and feels slow compared to the second, so I'd really recommend playing them in order so that the first one doesn't feel like a step back. If you only have time for one I'd say to play the second, though.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
If you're getting wrecked by normal bosses in Skies of Arcadia you are doing something horribly wrong. It's one of my favorite, if not my favorite game ever, but it isn't exactly very challenging. And there are spells and items later in the game that are guaranteed revives and jesus your post reads like you really just have no idea how to play the game

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

FuzzyPickles posted:

I recommend Terranigma for the same reasons as Illusion of Gaia. Enix didn't have an american publisher at the time it came out, so it only got an english release in Europe, I dont think its seen any kind of rerelease so finding a rom is the only way to get it. I found out the hard way trying to get used game stores to find a copy.

I loving love Terranigma. The other two games in the series are superb as well, but Terranigma took everything that made the series great and kicked it up to 11. If you loved the creepy/sad parts of Illusion of Gaia you especially owe it to yourself to play this game, because there's a goat that needs to have some words with you.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

Roasted Donut posted:

If you're getting wrecked by normal bosses in Skies of Arcadia you are doing something horribly wrong. It's one of my favorite, if not my favorite game ever, but it isn't exactly very challenging. And there are spells and items later in the game that are guaranteed revives and jesus your post reads like you really just have no idea how to play the game

I probably just meant the bounty bosses. It's been a while since I picked it back up because of them, so my memory is a mite fuzzy. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime. But you have to admit, they are a pain. And Risan is a spell destined to make you hate yourself and the world until Riselem is accessible.

Mid-post edit: Also, RANDOM ENCOUNTERS. I would have enjoyed this game much more if I didn't fight literally fifty encounters between Sailors Island and Horteka.

Also, Terranigma is pretty much the best of the trio, yeah. Love the soundtrack more than the others, too.

Miketopus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 2, 2010

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Miketopus posted:

Stop right there.

I wanted to love this game again after not playing it for several years. It's got a great storyline, excellent characters, and a setting that is simply outstanding. I'll definitely give you all of those points.

But the game is so balls-on-a-cheese-grater impossible when it comes to battles. I don't see how I didn't go (more) insane as a result. You have random encounters every five seconds no matter where you go, big actions take way too long to charge up and use unless you're high level, and bosses are always the same level as you. This was okay in Lunar, because your characters were simply stronger through leveling than without anyway, but in Skies of Arcadia it doesn't matter what you do. 85% of bosses after the first third of the game will decimate you, over and over again, until you tear out your hair. Oh, and 50% revival chance with basic revive items and spells? ARGGGGGGH. Prepare to spend eight turns trying to revive the same character who got insta-killed because there's only one item in the whole game that protects against it!

Ship battles were pretty sweet, though. That's what the entire game should've been.

They fixed the battles and just made the game overall better for the Gamecube port, so anyone looking to play Skies of Arcadia (which is excellent) should pick up Skies of Arcadia Legends for Gamecube and not the original Dreamcast version.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SomeChump posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: One of the best freeware RPGs around in terms of game mechanics and production values, it would still be an entertaining game with a vanilla plot. What makes this special though is the consistently excellent humour. Set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse caused by the incredibly destructive b-ball technique the 'chaos dunk' which destroyed the city of New York, it follows former b-ball star Charles Barkley and his son Hoopz in his quest for redemption and protect his son from the fascist state forces led by collaborator Michael Jordan. It is absolutely ruthless in its parodies of jRPG conventions and internet culture including an underground village of furries, a plastic surgery full of anime cosplayers, unexplained allusions to Christian mythology, save points which rant about the superiority of Japanese videogames (all real, copied from forums) and all presented completely straight faced. It's the best freeware game I've played outside of Cave Story.

There were quite a few callbacks to in-jokes; for example, the broke gambler is one of the game's developers, the turkey fur's portrait was a drawing of the author's "fursona" (he lied about being a furry on some fur message board and managed to get one of them to draw a sketch; the original story fell off the internet, shame because I wanted to reread it, but the picture lives on in Barkley), though the game suffers from a distinct lack of Dilbert.

Nathilus posted:

One freeware series I really enjoyed was The Way. Warning. This link contains an ad that blasted me with music. http://rpgmaker.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way

That game had a good library of music shamelessly ripped from a variety of sources (such as The Musashi Legend, which it puts to very good use :black101:) I make it a point to copy the intro midi from Episode 1 to the custom track slot for Episode 6's tournament sidequest, it just feels right. Pity the plot fell apart at the very end :lost:.

While it's a simple fact that you can't win a single plunge in Episode 1 because your stats are so bad and the opponents are veterans, it is possible to win Episode 2's tournament if you're lucky.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 3, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Meme Emulator posted:

The latest wizardry game (8? or 7?) got on my nerves so hardcore due to the constant random encounters

I was so happy to pull into town after the tutorial dungeon + stroll to a safe haven and what do i see? Gigantic groups of bandits and raiders roaming around as I go from place to place.

The game scales with level and repopulates monsters immediately so you cant even clear out a town and enjoy yourself, after dispatching the raiders you have to start slogging through androids and poo poo.
Well, I should have said that I am a pussy and have yet to play an ACTUAL Wizardry game, just games that are like that.

Back in the day Might and Magic: World of Xeen and Anvil of Dawn were my favorites.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Whizbang posted:

They fixed the battles and just made the game overall better for the Gamecube port, so anyone looking to play Skies of Arcadia (which is excellent) should pick up Skies of Arcadia Legends for Gamecube and not the original Dreamcast version.

Yeah absolutely this. The dreamcast version is just ridiculous with the random battles. The GC version...slightly less so. The only area that is really bad with random encounters is South ocean I think, which is just a huge pain in the rear end regardless.

Also yeah, some of those bounty fights are just brutal, and really really long. The Ixa'Ness triplets and the cat guy that shoots money everywhere were both horrible to deal with unless you used the item that puts your spirit at max automatically.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I've been playing a hell of a few games of the Shin Megami Tensei series. I particularity liked Devil Survivor because the typical premise of being able to fuse demons and it being a SRPG go well together, making it a great game worth playing. I also liked Persona 4 a bit, but I've never really cared about the plot (and boy there was a whole lot of plot going on). I'm currently playing Digital Devil Saga, but for some reason the game bores at times despite liking the Mantra system. Currently, I'm considering putting that game on hold to play the PS2 Devil Summoner games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Inindo: Way of the Ninja

I loving loved that game. It can be brutally tough in some areas, but there's honestly never been another game even a little like it.