Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Loyd has an interesting idea in that he’s supposed to be a detective but I feel like the only real observations he makes are really obvious so it doesn’t work.

If the sequel plays that better then he’s miles up above Rean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont care about lloyd's detective shtick. everyone in the game treats him the exact same as people complain about cold steel treating rean and unlike rean he isn't kind of funny sometimes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah but I’ve accepted that that’s just what trail protagonists are now.

Side characters just exist to suck them off as a player cypher.

At least the detective poo poo made his character a little different. As without it Loyd and Rean just kind of feel the same

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I dunno, I feel like Zero is easily the strongest of the 'first' Trails games, though I admit that the first half or so (everything before the second or third day of the festival) is a bit slow. I think as an overall game I only like 3rd better, though there are certainly aspects of other entries that I prefer when singled out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think the first Sky game is the best of them. Has fun characters a strong self contained plot with a rather realistic villian with actual realistic goals.

I mean he’s not got the most realistic goals but compared to what comes later he’s about as close as you could get

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The crossbell games were the ones I always found most interesting conceptually, so that's a bummer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean you can play it yourself, you may not agree. Hell maybe you will love Lloyd

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Reading the arguments about Tales' combat system was fun when keeping in mind just how loving awful the Star Ocean 4 combat was. I guess all the creative talent was used up creating EDGE MAVERICK.

i'll go with the old cliche and suggest they exhausted all their creative might on nappy time

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the first Sky game is the best of them. Has fun characters a strong self contained plot with a rather realistic villian with actual realistic goals.

I mean he’s not got the most realistic goals but compared to what comes later he’s about as close as you could get

I like that he constantly undermines and underestimates himself and at first you think hes just a smarmy rear end in a top hat but no, hes really that insecure. and that one trait informs everything he does. hes good folks

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Lloyd a lot. He's not the most complex protagonist but it's refreshing to have someone who is relatively likeable and competent and can be a degree of proactive in advancing the story. I think he develops a good rapport with p. much every main character, in particular KeA, and sometimes that's all you really need from a JRPG protag IMO.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

meanwhile I dont think I could even begin to explain what the villains motivation or plan is in trails 2

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like likable and relatively competent describes most shonen protagonists.

It’s more refreshing when you get aasholes at this point.

Well intentional .

It’s why I liked Velvet

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trails is basically a shounen manga made into JRPG series, and that's good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

As much as I like specific executions of it, rear end in a top hat or similar MCs, especially guys, are pretty common too.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I want to get into the Trails games but getting into a series made up of that many full length RPGs is daunting. Also, I'm not sure whether to start with Sky or Cold Steel. I assume the former but have heard the latter is also a decent starting point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zinkraptor posted:

I want to get into the Trails games but getting into a series made up of that many full length RPGs is daunting. Also, I'm not sure whether to start with Sky or Cold Steel. I assume the former but have heard the latter is also a decent starting point.

The first Sky or the first Cold Steel are both fine starting points really. I'd say give Trails in the Sky a go first just to see if it gels with you, but don't be afraid to jump to Cold Steel 1 if it doesn't and try from there. (Sky's plot is in an entirely different country in the same continuity, and doesn't influence Cold Steel's starting point at all).

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. I wish I could get a console version of Sky, just because I prefer to play RPGs either sitting on a couch or handheld, but the PC will have to do.

I guess I could get a vita tv but that would require getting a vita tv.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just play Cold Steel 3 on the switch, advertised as the best starting point

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Zinkraptor posted:

I guess I could get a vita tv but that would require getting a vita tv.

Do not play the PSP versions of Sky at this point, they're missing significant script revisions and convenience features.

There's various ways to get a PC output to a TV, just pick whatever is most convenient and do that instead.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lloyd is okay whenever the story focuses on the way he and his friends have been affected by guy's death, but like. i don't think he's got anything going on in terms of lighter character interaction. he doesn't really do anything interesting on his own and the way he reacts to other characters poking fun at him, and the way people poke fun at him in general, is pretty one note. i don't need him to be super complex i just need his interactions with other people to feel like he has some kind of distinct back and forth and the game doesn't do that very much. at least rean feels like trails is kind of self-aware of how much of a dork he is and builds some of his better humor around that, lloyd is just extremely plain in a way that's rarely played with in a memorable way. elie kinda has the same issues but she's more ingrained into the situation going on in the plot in ways that make her work better

though if there's one thing i'd complain about in both lloyd and rean it's that it's weird they both get treated as generally competent and capable by halfway through their first games while by that time in sky fc it was still making jokes about estelle being too incompetent to let her wander outside alone but i guess that's more of a sky issue

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 17, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

babypolis posted:

meanwhile I dont think I could even begin to explain what the villains motivation or plan is in trails 2

??? Their plan is to resurrect an ancient machine that literally alters reality and makes dreams come true, I don’t remember what every individual instance of the Enforcers dicking around served to that end but it’s a pretty insane goal even by JRPG standards so it’s hard to forget.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

??? Their plan is to resurrect an ancient machine that literally alters reality and makes dreams come true, I don’t remember what every individual instance of the Enforcers dicking around served to that end but it’s a pretty insane goal even by JRPG standards so it’s hard to forget.

yeah thats the point, its some insane poo poo done just for the sake of it. how does any of it relate to the goals of ourboros, or the villains weird plan to ... advance human society? somehow?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

babypolis posted:

yeah thats the point, its some insane poo poo done just for the sake of it. how does any of it relate to the goals of ourboros, or the villains weird plan to ... advance human society? somehow?

The general plan from what I can tell seems to be reviving ancient technology, and it's already working even if the big grandiose acts don't succeed. They didn't even really fail in Liberl, look how many general advancements have come in Orbal tech in a handful of years. They've advanced from an early 1900's society to laptops and giant robots. They just let the Anguis do whatever because win or lose, those big ancient devices they release will wind up being activated and reverse-engineered.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 17, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

babypolis posted:

ouroboros' plan is apparently to gather up a number of super-powerful ancient artifacts and get them into one place to do...something disappointing, no doubt

the artifacts in question weren't meant to actually be used on their own but weissman was a loony turncoat who got off on one of those "i shall remake the world in my own image" power trips and wanted to use the artifact to do it

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

cheetah7071 posted:

BotW is mostly a beloved game but there's a notable set of people who it just did not work for on any level

That’s the entire Zelda franchise, for me.

perc2
May 16, 2020

On a related note, is the Cold Steel series good if I have a sudden hankering for an epic JRPG with lots of abilities, customization, collectables and mini-games? Basically I'm looking for something with deep systems and lots to do, but I have a feeling the price of following an extremely cutscene and dialogbox heavy story wouldn't be worth the tradeoff. Any other suggestions for a modern PC JRPG that would deliver? Being on Steam would be ideal, I've seen a lot of questionable RPGMaker titles but willing to grab one if it has lots of extranarrative content and general quality if that makes sense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cold steel's customization basically amounts to slightly less than materia, and there's a decent amount of collectibles (especially if you count out of the way sidequests as 'collectibles' but minigames aren't really a thing besides a card game that's less gwent and more a minigame in the lion king edutainment pc game.

i think the gameplay in cold steel is decent but its nto at all what id recommend if you wanted an extremely gameplay-heavy jrpg, especially since the gameplay is at all times completely subservient to the plot. so it does stuff like give you guest party members you can't customize at all, end the first game on a duel with a combat system you've never used before, go several hours without anything more than running around and talking to people, etc. and there's definitely not anything really resembling exploration.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
It does have Duvalie, though, so ya know, everyone should play it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
duvalie is only in the later cold steels...

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

The Colonel posted:

duvalie is only in the later cold steels...

yeah, but you gotta play the first one to get there

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

CubeTheory posted:

yeah, but you gotta play the first one to get there

the duvalie price

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently I can buy infinite undiscovery and also its somehow still 20 bucks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CubeTheory posted:

the duvalie price

worth it

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
my entire irl friend group hates Duvalie despite the many impassioned character analysis I have given, please advise how to get new friends

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

perc2 posted:

On a related note, is the Cold Steel series good if I have a sudden hankering for an epic JRPG with lots of abilities, customization, collectables and mini-games? Basically I'm looking for something with deep systems and lots to do, but I have a feeling the price of following an extremely cutscene and dialogbox heavy story wouldn't be worth the tradeoff. Any other suggestions for a modern PC JRPG that would deliver? Being on Steam would be ideal, I've seen a lot of questionable RPGMaker titles but willing to grab one if it has lots of extranarrative content and general quality if that makes sense

Are you okay with tactical JRPGS, because if so Disgaea 5 sounds up your alley (no collectibles unless you count the completion notebook though, and no mini games period). It’s a pretty satisfactory 30-40 hour grid-based JRPG for the main campaign and if you jive with that you can play the postgame for another 30, or probably forever if you don’t burn out on having an essentially never ending gameplay loop.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

CubeTheory posted:

my entire irl friend group hates Duvalie despite the many impassioned character analysis I have given, please advise how to get new friends

They are your McBurns.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally my only complaint with duvalie is that weird line in cs3 where she kind of has a crush on rean and its never acknowledged again, and the random bit towa has about angelica and george is way weirder than that so its forgivable

pretty sure that second thing doesnt come up in cs4 or hajimari no kiseki so i have no idea what that line was about. towa needs a diagram of what a lesbian is.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Last Celebration posted:

Are you okay with tactical JRPGS, because if so Disgaea 5 sounds up your alley (no collectibles unless you count the completion notebook though, and no mini games period). It’s a pretty satisfactory 30-40 hour grid-based JRPG for the main campaign and if you jive with that you can play the postgame for another 30, or probably forever if you don’t burn out on having an essentially never ending gameplay loop.

It's my favorite poo poo of all time and I have 100s of hours into it, yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Estelle was great and I'd love them to do a lead like her again instead of generically nice bland fuckboys. Kirito rear end anime porridgemen.

Edit: Rean has his moments but he's still boring as poo poo 90% of the time.