Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are the first 2 Breath of Fire games worth playing? Noticed that both of them were on Switch's SNES app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

The Colonel posted:

bofiv has masters but i think it tones them down so much that there's basically only one actually worth using? idk i'm only like four hours in and just met the first one

they're still quite useful for the stat increases on level up, they just changed how they give you new skills. instead of leveling up various amounts you have to do things like perform a 10/20/30-hit combo or bring certain items to them. there are also less of them iirc? its been a while since i played.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are the first 2 Breath of Fire games worth playing? Noticed that both of them were on Switch's SNES app.

1 yes, if you can stomach early rpgs.

2 no, unless you've got a balance patch and a retranslation patch. the original snes version is garbage

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just let me equip my lod to go fishing

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

1 is pretty decent and 2 is great. They're both worth playing but if you only pick one make it 2.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Breath of Fire 1 is a short 'n sweet game, it's kinda simple but doesn't overstay its welcome. IIRC it's roughly 20-25 hours. I'd say play it if you're interested, there are a couple mechanics that make it a bit different from other JRPGs of the era.

Breath of Fire 2 shows its age honestly. There are a few surprise solo sections, and the game's party and experience mechanics aren't as simple and elegant as the first. Couple that with a bunch of half-baked mechanics that are too rough in this game to be good (and which get refined more in subsequent games), and you get a janky old SNES JRPG that someone playing for the first time in 2020 might have a really hard time appreciating. DEFINITELY don't play on Switch, because the NSO version uses the official translation, which is legendary for how bad it is (example: they manage to reverse "Yes" and "No" prompts several times over the course of the game. Play on emulator, where you can get the retranslation patch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Amppelix posted:

oh my god BoF III is loving taunting me with how many side excursions there are until you can bring your first new party members to any of the masters

the optimisation brainworms have definitely set in: i'm intentionally keeping nina's level as low as possibly by running away from battles and killing her off so she doesn't get EXP until i can finally get her to the sorcerer guy

this is surely 200% unnecessary for this game's difficulty level but i completely can't help myself!

In my bof3 play through earlier this year I kept Ryu at lvl 1 until Bunyan was available and teleport was lvl 1 until gygax was available. Reid can solo the Nue so it’s not too bad. Teepo can smash the ghosts on his own with a silver dagger too.

Peco stayed lvl 1 until another master opened up so he could grab shadowwalk for ryu, though super combo from Bunyan can destroy bosses just fine when paired with stuff like last resort and charge.

Lvl 1 ryu just needs frost (teepo got it from his master) and you can powerlvl on the sandman enemies at the mountain to windia. Having frost makes them practically free and they’re a ton of xp compared to everything else.

Really though, If you want to mix max then you don’t worry about masters it’s all about filling your village with item dupers and duping items that permenantly increase speed/ap because then you end up with a ryu who gets extra attacks vs everything while having the ap to run your best dragon form for a stupidly long time. Though a few wisdom fruits suffice there too. Speed for EX attacks is the big thing.

And one of the gambling rewards can be a king goo sword but you need obscene luck or savestate abuse to get one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow I love that it's making me do three whole dungeons with just two party members right now

this in a game with no leaked experience. can't wait to not use Garr for the next several hours after this with how overleveled he'll be compared to everyone. He was forced for the last dungeon before the timeskip too!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bofiv is fun but i wish fou lu's journey in the early going was not vastly more interesting than ryu's just because fou lu actually has a personality. the main party dynamic has that awkward silent protag thing going on for me where cray, nina and ershin are pretty alright but ryu's so just, kinda there, that i'd forget he exists if he didn't have cool dragon powers

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I was actually super invested in BoF3 just for it's intro where your an actual baby dragon just going on a rampage because frightened babby and miners are attacking you and then your captured and like... I don't really know where I thought it was all going exactly but I wound kinda disappointed after a bit. And also I got real sick of the horse dudes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think if there's one thing i wish psx jrpgs had, it's faster menus

you always forget how slow the menus in psx jrpgs are until you play them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i had the psx port of chrono trigger

even 14-year old me found that a struggle

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I never touched FF5 and Chrono Trigger for like a decade because the anthology was so bad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gba menus put those of just about every other system to shame, golden sun and the intelligent systems games move at lightspeed

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I played Chrono Trigger to completion on that Anthology.

No regrets. It wasn't ideal but my SNES was beyond saving by then

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Colonel posted:

One of the only things I remember a out Xrnosaga was that it was the first game I played where opening the menu made me impatient. Like, it was some thing where metal panels slid in from the side of the screen (I think) and it felt like it took forever.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

vagrant story is probably one of the worst for it, weapon swapping is a total chore

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I got a few hours into Vagrant Story and stopped entirely because the weapon switching sucked so much rear end.

It's baffling. There's ways to quickslot items and magic, but not weapons? When the game is practically designed around encouraging you to swap weapons depending on the situation?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's why the pro lazy strat in vagrant story is to combine weapons with affinity grinded up on dummies so you just have +100 in everything on one weapon, and because your affinity is so high you can completely ignore the blunt/edged/piercing split

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

bofiv is fun but i wish fou lu's journey in the early going was not vastly more interesting than ryu's just because fou lu actually has a personality. the main party dynamic has that awkward silent protag thing going on for me where cray, nina and ershin are pretty alright but ryu's so just, kinda there, that i'd forget he exists if he didn't have cool dragon powers
i mean i think they actually took into account the fact that he doesn't participate much: Nina is more of the main character than Ryu is, and they don't expect him to carry scenes or anything.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Amppelix posted:

i mean i think they actually took into account the fact that he doesn't participate much: Nina is more of the main character than Ryu is, and they don't expect him to carry scenes or anything.

that's lame though!!! jrpg protags who can't participate in scenes are dull as hell and having a character who ends up just speaking as the lead in place of them only highlights their issues

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

that's lame though!!! jrpg protags who can't participate in scenes are dull as hell and having a character who ends up just speaking as the lead in place of them only highlights their issues

Yeah, if you're com a do that, you might as well just make the protagonist a ghost that characters equip to be able to do the impossible things the story requires* like beating up demons in SMT or deal damage to Heartless or whatever.

*I'm thinking of it like how Dragon ball Z Fighterz's story mode works, very few of the characters can access their full power because of plot radiation but when you possess them you can use more of it and level them up. It frees characters to still be characters and if you're willing to take that a bit further they could also do things like float around through walls as a scout or something.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just let me play as the charismatic chick or whatever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Just let me play as the charismatic chick or whatever
yeah lol

idk why people think 'the female lead gets all the personality but the plot still hinges on the boring dude' is a defense

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, if you're com a do that, you might as well just make the protagonist a ghost that characters equip to be able to do the impossible things the story requires* like beating up demons in SMT or deal damage to Heartless or whatever.

*I'm thinking of it like how Dragon ball Z Fighterz's story mode works, very few of the characters can access their full power because of plot radiation but when you possess them you can use more of it and level them up. It frees characters to still be characters and if you're willing to take that a bit further they could also do things like float around through walls as a scout or something.

This sounds pretty Ar Nosurge to me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

yeah lol

idk why people think 'the female lead gets all the personality but the plot still hinges on the boring dude' is a defense

It's a lot less common than it used to be, thankfully

I feel like it was drat near every JRPG back in the PS2 era

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i think the ps2 is actually where you started getting the most interesting subversions or games pushing back on it, lots more games on the ps2 with ensemble casts, and either notable female leads or a pretty equal split between male and female characters in how core they are to the story, like wild arms 3, shadow hearts and ar tonelico 2. even ffx i think is a fair bit better about it than some people remember.

weirdly i think the games from that era that actually were worst about it were tales of symphonia and tales of destiny 2, which... it's a thing that's attributed pretty often as a problem with earlier games in the series but i think the weird thing is that it's not even that common in tales games, it's just. insanely, a thing in a few games from around that period lol. it's funny that tales of eternia kind of shares a name with destiny 2 just cause of awkward us release fuckery but in actuality has an insanely well balanced cast in comparison despite coming out before it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

reid is one of the least interesting party members in eternia and the girls outshine him but him being not that involved is actually a plotpoint and hes kind of funny, and he has an actual arc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My perception of the PS2 era was probably influenced by obsessively playing every game gust put out, and all of their PS2 games either follow the bland male lead with charismatic female sidekick pattern, or just don't have anybody with charisma in the entire game

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 27, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Atelier Viorate exists!!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

as do Lillie and Judie, and I'm sure someday I'll get hungry enough for Atelier content to learn kanji just to play them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

as do Lillie and Judie, and I'm sure someday I'll get hungry enough for Atelier content to learn kanji just to play them

tbh the psp version of viorate is better from what i remember

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Viorate's lines in Nelke didn't inspire confidence in her as a character tbh, though being the last pre-Iris game I imagine it probably has better gameplay than the other two.

Lillie is the one I'm most interested in, because I know Hermina and Ingrid get their origin story there, and they had a great dynamic in Elie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

My perception of the PS2 era was probably influenced by obsessively playing every game gust put out, and all of their PS2 games either follow the bland male lead with charismatic female sidekick pattern, or just don't have anybody with charisma in the entire game

imo croix in ar tonelico 2 is okay, he's got a fair amount of personality and he's not that critical to the plot by the end as much as he's just the person keeping the group together through his relationships with everyone, which works well enough given that he doesn't even really resolve the heroines' emotional arcs for them if you don't go for their endings, the game lets them resolve their stuff on their own which avoids the weird issue of making everything feel too reliant on croix. hell i'd go as far as saying that his relationship with jakuri in her ending is pretty decently written, compared to how uh, nothing lyner's dynamics with people really were in at1

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 28, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

imo croix in ar tonelico 2 is okay, he's got a fair amount of personality and he's not that critical to the plot by the end as much as he's just the person keeping the group together through his relationships with everyone, which works well enough given that he doesn't even really resolve the heroines' emotional arcs for them if you don't go for their endings, the game lets them resolve their stuff on their own which avoids the weird issue of making everything feel too reliant on croix. hell i'd go as far as saying that his relationship with jakuri in her ending is pretty decently written, compared to how uh, nothing lyner's dynamics with people really were in at1

The Ar Tonelico dynamic is a bit weird because the two heroines have to be fully co-equal, which means neither can be a no-asterisk main character. There's ways around this--for example, they could have had Croix only be the main character for the intro, and once you meet both of them and make a route choice, you control them for the rest of the game, but I don't really mind it, except in the context of how many games followed that dynamic and this is just yet another in the pattern.

I sort of file AT in the same category as FFX, which is to say, it has the dynamic but at least they do something with it and justify it.

e: though honestly Tidus isn't no-charisma; he spends 2/3 of the game looking like an extraneous main character and then suddenly seizes the spotlight in the last third in an interesting way so it looks like it's this dynamic for the earlygame

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 28, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

She was fun enough in [shudder] trinity universe

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol I forgot that had Gust characters

Time to dig out my copy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nelke made it seem like Vio's only character trait was carrots Carrots CARROTS!!!! but that could have just been Nelke and not indicative of the original game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1321225211539156992

This is fairly amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol I forgot that had Gust characters

Time to dig out my copy

I played through both routes, I dunno what's wrong with me