Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Feels Villeneuve posted:

considering that asgore is literally planning a genocide her letting you go because you're so dang determined is almost certainly a worse move

It definitely was for everyone I met in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snake Maze posted:

While Toriel does jump straight to "You should live here with me and be my child" in a way that some people find suspicious or offputting I can't think of anything she does or says that could be described as gaslighting.

she's trying to provide a happy home to entice the player to stay because whatever she tried for the other six didn't work

Feels Villeneuve posted:

considering that asgore is literally planning a genocide her letting you go because you're so dang determined is almost certainly a worse move

she tries to stop you but she lets you go because she literally can't. the human SOUL lets even a small child beat a wizard queen up

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leraika posted:

I got ash and the others during the event but I haven't bothered to do anything with them but stick them in my command center. Saving all my money/mats for kal'tsit

Arknights's studio split from the GFL one, I thought.

Yeah but he wasn't asking about an arknights rpg.

The Colonel posted:

no i will say i dont think caligula's combat is still all that much like yiik, yiik is lots of minigames that waste your time forever for very little satisfaction while caligula is trying very hard to be dynamic and tactical but just ends up rewarding mashing one attack over and over again in most situations so it requires way less input than it seems to be asking for. yiik requires more input than it deserves

the only part of caligula's combat that feels like it really willfully wastes your time is enemy shields, it at least gives you a decent counter for them but if you don't shield break when they come up then it really does just waste way too much of your time for basically no reason, but that's still just like a couple button presses and not doing an elaborate twenty seconds of minigames to deal 4 points of damage to one guy

I meant similar in the sense it presents systems you don't have much reason to interact with and the difficulty increase is just longer fights.

Also mashing one attack a lot :v:

I think the only no frills jrpg I've played that managed to make bosses generally interesting is jimmy and the pulsating mass.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 24, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Just started Dragon Age Inquisition and I’m having a hard time understanding what is even the point of the inquisition and why I should care.

After thoroughly enjoying DA2 I’m having problems getting motivated. Rather hang out with sarcastic Hawke and her gang of malcontents.

At least Varick is here, and Cassandra seems cool.

Although I am enjoying the Life of Brian “I’m not the messiah” aspect.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 24, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

"Crystar" is apparently on Steam when I thought all this time it was a ps4 exclusive

Was it any good? it's also 70 percent off and it seemed like an interestingly unique concept for a game tbh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Y'know, thinking about it, you falling into a new world and the first person you meet- flowers are not people, don't be pedantic- being like 'Hello, are you hurt? Please do not commit murder' is pretty sus. Who even does that? We should've killed her and everyone she knows and they knew and they knew just for being weird.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

isk posted:

-A sleeper fave: The Secret World (technically monologue due to the silent protag but golly the characters are strong)

There was a time back in 2014/15 that people kept geinuely pushing this game as a good single player experience but the whole thing was bogged down with so many of the MMO trappings I could never figure out what was going on. All the constant expansions didn't help either.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Caligula Effect...

Nyoro posted:

"Crystar" is apparently on Steam when I thought all this time it was a ps4 exclusive

Was it any good? it's also 70 percent off and it seemed like an interestingly unique concept for a game tbh

It's aggressively Okay. The combat ranges from competent to extremely boring, partially because everywhere and everyone looks kinda the same. It also never evolves, when you're at the start of the game you've basically seen what there is to see. It doesn't get harder or anything. Rei, the protagonist, is basically good at every aspect of combat and healing items auto use so there's not really much point in switching to another character or anything.

So the selling point will be the story, and it's definitely a downer. Child suicides, old people dying alone, etc to the point it also can be a bit... rote. Like the main character's story is her twin sister died at birth, her parents died in a car accident, her only friend was actually mocking her behind her back before also dying in a car accident, and then she kills her little sister, the only remaining family member she has. It doesn't quite have the writing chops to pull something like that off, and there's not really much in the way of humor or anything to provide some contrast. The devs said they were inspired by Drakengard and yeah, it's apparent they got most of the surface stuff there! it even has the little sister who has incestuous love for her older sibling, go figure.

It's also got weird fanservice which I don't mind in principle, but it's kinda out of place to have a shot of Rei's rear end in the intro when the game's mood is what it is.

There's some stuff to like about it. If you're in a place where you can afford the time and money, you might be one of the people who really likes it! But there's a lot going against it.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 24, 2021

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

theblackw0lf posted:

Just started Dragon Age Inquisition and I’m having a hard time understanding what is even the point of the inquisition and why I should care.

After thoroughly enjoying DA2 I’m having problems getting motivated. Rather hang out with sarcastic Hawke and her gang of malcontents.

At least Varick is here, and Cassandra seems cool.

Although I am enjoying the Life of Brian “I’m not the messiah” aspect.
To bring whomever killed the divine and kicked off the breaches to justice and save the realm from the demons!!!

As for care, I assume you mean from the point of view of the MC. You can kind of choose your own adventure on that one but it was a pretty common complaint that the Inquisitor was the blankest of protagonists in the series so know you're not alone I guess. The "well if you didn't agree they'd just execute you" makes for a flimsy intro.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

There was a time back in 2014/15 that people kept geinuely pushing this game as a good single player experience but the whole thing was bogged down with so many of the MMO trappings I could never figure out what was going on. All the constant expansions didn't help either.

yeah the good stuff was fantastic but the mmo combat and progression only served to get in the way of experiencing more of the writing

the reboot made the combat a bit better and actually added new story content for the first time in years but it doesn’t seem like we’re ever getting more lmao

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

dmboogie posted:

yeah the good stuff was fantastic but the mmo combat and progression only served to get in the way of experiencing more of the writing

the reboot made the combat a bit better and actually added new story content for the first time in years but it doesn’t seem like we’re ever getting more lmao

Sounds like someone is making a table top version of it though.

https://twitter.com/ghostwoods/status/1440981536870969346?s=21

Are the servers for TSW still running? It was worth putting up with the MMO aspects for the writing. Should go back at some point. (Think I got to Egypt and quit).

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Sounds like someone is making a table top version of it though.

https://twitter.com/ghostwoods/status/1440981536870969346?s=21

Are the servers for TSW still running? It was worth putting up with the MMO aspects for the writing. Should go back at some point. (Think I got to Egypt and quit).

yeah the servers for both TSW classic and the reboot are still running (the reboot has annoying microtransaction stuff but it’s ignorable if you’re just doing the story; the combat is better and the missions that were paid dlc originally are now available for free)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

she's trying to provide a happy home to entice the player to stay because whatever she tried for the other six didn't work

she tries to stop you but she lets you go because she literally can't. the human SOUL lets even a small child beat a wizard queen up

Toriel having baby issues also makes a lot more sense once you learn her backstory

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

secretly best girl posted:

I am with you here and I still have no idea how the gaslighting possessive goat is the wholesome character fans are always talking up. Even mechanically she's lying to you with the mid-health bar "Oops I died at 50%".

the way damage infliction works in undertale is that the more you want to hurt monsters, the more you hurt them. toriel wasn't lying, it's just that as you keep swiping at her you gradually become more and more aggressive about it until whoopsy daisy you land a blow that basically rips her in half. the same thing repeats with other bosses as well

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The intro of DAI is extremely confusing, imo, but the basic idea is that somebody magic-bombed a peace conference where the pope was mediating a peace treaty between two warring sides, which killed nearly every important person in the church and both warring sides. And some of the magical after-effects result in portals popping up everywhere which only your character can close

Most of the dialogue choices support either a character who is devout, and is really mad at the person who killed the pope, or someone who doesn't care but still wants to help by closing the portals

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dmboogie posted:

The reboot is trashed in the reviews comparing it to the old version that it's now much more nakedly p2w since its free.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Libluini posted:

I watched Yoko Taro LPing a game yesterday and the first thing he did was throwing the cutest, nicest character of the first five minutes into a soul cannon to brutally murder her. His excuse was something along the line of "no-one else will do this, so no-one would get to see this otherwise". It was a game where players can avoid using this mechanic entirely, if they want to. Every act of murder has to be done on purpose.

I can believe this.

To be fair, the tutorial to that game has a mandatory sacrifice that must be made. I was tempted by the little sister, or best friend, just to see what would happen. In the end, I went for the roundest boy, which would get a bunch of different people angry with me. There are no good choices in the tutorial for this, really.

Also, speaking of Taro, Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars.

The full game better get very Taro going forward, because that game felt milquetoast as gently caress. A basic JPG where the cards are only really an aesthetic that serve to make the gameplay feel slow as all hell. I was hoping for some Slay the Spire or Hand of Fate type mechanics, but nope. Just very bog-standard.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 25, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, I've been looking for a spiritual successor to Hand of Fate 2 for ages. No luck yet.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

The reboot is trashed in the reviews comparing it to the old version that it's now much more nakedly p2w since its free.

see thats true but if you're playing the secret world for pvp or endgame dungeon content or w/e you've already lost

the solomon island DLC missions are some of the best content in the game so getting them for free cancels out the more annoying stuff imo

Kokoro Wish posted:

To be fair, the tutorial to that game has a mandatory sacrifice that must be made. I was tempted by the little sister, or best friend, just to see what would happen. In the end, I went for the roundest boy, which would get a bunch of different people angry with me. There are no good choices in the tutorial for this, really.

what game was this even im curious

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

dmboogie posted:

see thats true but if you're playing the secret world for pvp or endgame dungeon content or w/e you've already lost

the solomon island DLC missions are some of the best content in the game so getting them for free cancels out the more annoying stuff imo

Fuga: Melodies of Steel

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dmboogie posted:

Fuga: Melodies of Steel

Now you might be wondering 'Boy, using orphans as ammo for the Soul Cannon sure is an inspired premise for a game. I wonder who made it?'

Go on, guess.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my only secret world engagement is with watching a playthrough of moons of madness which was one of the most comically bad horror games i've ever seen

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the secret world is one of the best-written games ever made, pity about everything other than the script

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
please do not use the kemono cannon in Fuga: melodies of steel

(I really liked the game but it's much less story heavy than the premise lets on, especially if you're coming from Solatorobo which was apparently borderline a VN with some ARPG sections attached)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

please do not use the kemono cannon in Fuga: melodies of steel

(I really liked the game but it's much less story heavy than the premise lets on, especially if you're coming from Solatorobo which was apparently borderline a VN with some ARPG sections attached)

If you buy the deluxe edition you get a "Dummy Soul" that gives you one free firing of the cannon without sacrificing anyone!

Yes that does fundamentally undermine the premise of it, why do you ask? :confused:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Fuga sounds very good tbh.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Speaking of games with great dialog.

https://twitter.com/rpgsite/status/1441231701821116418?s=21

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kokoro Wish posted:

The full game better get very Taro going forward, because that game felt milquetoast as gently caress. A basic JPG where the cards are only really an aesthetic that serve to make the gameplay feel slow as all hell. I was hoping for some Slay the Spire or Hand of Fate type mechanics, but nope. Just very bog-standard.

The whole sacrifice system was done alright in Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, I thought. But they had kind of a sneaky way around it - it's a very "murder the gods and topple their thrones" sort of game, except the gods are Norse flavored and by definition you're giving people a glorious death in combat, so that while you're taking people -- even your tutorial sacrifice -- out of your immediate personal narrative, you're not really taking them completely out of the game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you buy the deluxe edition you get a "Dummy Soul" that gives you one free firing of the cannon without sacrificing anyone!

Yes that does fundamentally undermine the premise of it, why do you ask? :confused:

I don't know why they bothered since that first time doesnt matter anyways

knox
Oct 28, 2004

About to finally get emulator going for the RPGs I want to play again or experience for first time. What is everybody's experience using PCSX2 to emulate PS2 RPGs? I'm running Suikoden III now and it seems to slow down massively in market setting, turning up speedhacks Preset seemed to help.

I guess Suikoden III is known for running like dogshit on emulator though- I just saw a streamer break out the actual PS2 game to play for the stream due to that very reason.

knox fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 20, 2021

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is the three houses dlc any good? Kind of looking for an excuse to replay the game. I've only done the monastery route and watched my partner do the Dmitiri route, so I suppose I can do the Edelgard route finally.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deltarune chapter 2 loving rules

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Deltarune chapter 2 loving rules

yeah I can't wait to play it again in two years when chapter three comes out and I've inevitably forgotten everything

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Y'know, I never tried out those Switch ports of the Infinity Engine games because I really can't wrap my head around playing a game like that without a mouse and keyboard, but I might take the plunge for this. Dragonfall and HK are absolute bangers. Returns is also a game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Is the three houses dlc any good? Kind of looking for an excuse to replay the game. I've only done the monastery route and watched my partner do the Dmitiri route, so I suppose I can do the Edelgard route finally.

the ashen wolves are the only noteworthy part of the dlc but they're pretty good imo

they get a standalone (in the sense that its separate from your main story save files) mini campaign which is neat (and pretty drat challenging on hard) and the four new characters are cool and recruitable on any route

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

in two years when chapter three comes

lol.

dmboogie posted:

the ashen wolves are the only noteworthy part of the dlc but they're pretty good imo

they get a standalone (in the sense that its separate from your main story save files) mini campaign which is neat (and pretty drat challenging on hard) and the four new characters are cool and recruitable on any route

The way it works is pretty interesting. Your entire gang has an assigned advanced class (spoilered i guess Byleth is a Swordmaster, Dimitiri is a Paladin, Claude is a bow Wyvern Lord, Edelgard is a Fortress Knight, Hilda is a Warrior, Lindhart is a bishop and Ashe is a sniper. The Ashen Wolves are each one of the new classes and set skill ranks, though they can level up and level ups are rng as usual. You're given basically no gold (but can snag extra from side objectives or dig up rusty weapons) so you've got to be pretty tight with your resource management. The objectives are a bit more interesting than main 3H tend to be, though the map design is as forgettable as the main game's for the most part. The maps are generally harder than anything in the main game, but other than some dickish reinforcements don't feel too unfair.

There's not a ton of side stuff to do, but being able to see the main lords hang out and interact with each other is really nice.

I think the biggest gameplay flaw for what they were aiming at is they give people alternate classes they can use...But no reason to ever use them. There's no point in making Hilda a Pegasus Knight, she just has no ranks in lances to make it worthwhile.

So there's not a ton of replay value.

Still, it was a fun addition that got me to replay the game and the other DLC stuff adds a bit of colour but isn't anything you'd really miss.

Oh, and they did add a new battle theme for the Ashen Wolves (Shackled Wolves) so that's cool. I think Yuri finally gives male Byleth a proper gay romance that isn't Lindhart but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Male Byleth can only gently caress twinks, yes and Jeritza who is borderline twunk.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

I think the biggest gameplay flaw for what they were aiming at is they give people alternate classes they can use...But no reason to ever use them. There's no point in making Hilda a Pegasus Knight, she just has no ranks in lances to make it worthwhile.
i don't think this is true, the alternate classes are actually really well chosen for the most part imo

for example, you're forgetting that in 3 houses any class can use any weapon so there's no reason for hilda to switch to lances just because she switched class. pegasus knight isn't an advanced class so the real tradeoff here is between having more movement and flying, or better stats and damage thanks to axefaire. and movement and flying are both things you do want to have, especially in a few maps in the campaign!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kokoro Wish posted:

Just finished the hour long demo and yeah, this is my assessment. The cards are purely aesthetic, since there's no deck to build, and there's no hand to draw. Your skills are presented as cards, which is functionally the same as a regular menu. You level up and gain new cards learn new skills, which is again, standard JRPG fare. About the only "card game" of it is the gem system, which is basically energy; you start with 1, and you gain 1 gem for every turn you get, and this gem pool is shared between all your characters to do special moves like heal or extra strong attack or dice roll wind damage, etc.

Not feeling the narrator either, he's no Logan Cunningham.

I did like the aesthetic, if nothing else. And it is kind of relaxing to play since it's quite simple. It's just...nothing like what you would think a card based RPG to be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

how was rune factory 4? i don't think i've played a harvest moon since 64 but stardew is one of my fav games, and i know rune factory trends more towards the latter.