Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
if you're only using it at home anyway I'd just put steam link on an emulator handheld or a phone with a controller to play stuff in bed or on the couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

In Stars and Time: Wow, honestly the game really makes use of the time loops both to save on development AND do incredible stuff. The Memory of Confession scene was both a subversion and heart-wrenching. Oh, also I killed the King twice after THAT scene. Yeah. Man you can really see the weight of the loops given I'm getting new options on Act 4.

I do wish I had a Memory of Where Books You Could Not Read Are. I checked the library, secret library, the astrolobe room behind the door you need Memory of Memories... and I'm gonna check the floor 1 dictionary, but I can't remember any other important book besides the one about colors in the stargazing room? Man now I also wish there was a way to loop after you get a Star Crest so you can check the dead ends more easily

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

is the cheapest steam deck worth 300?

As far as RPG gaming specifically, it definitely is if you know you're gonna use it for portable gaming. I mainly use mine for emulation + playing RPGs that are on steam but not on switch (or run poorly on switch) and it's great.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
approaching the end of clash i think. this game is extremely badass, if you liked anything about the zeno clashes you should play this one. it's probably the best story any ace team game has had and really captures a lot of the coolest stuff zeno clash had going thematically in a way that's a lot more clearly focused

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"It's all random in the end."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think one of my favorite details is the entire outcast fight being followed by his cave playing this song if you stick around in it afterwards. just this entire gorgeous vocal track that only plays in one very small zone for this one sad guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5exgcIViNe4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think outcast is the high point of the game in general. his parable of the man with the rock ties in really well with clash's depiction of the corwids, especially axylon, who's somehow become an anarchist even from the concept of anarchy and is ontologically incapable of reaching any kind of satisfaction as a result

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

https://youtu.be/dysnVwbiJR4?si=yIDyXzu4kCuGstlu

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Annath posted:

I have that game but haven't played it yet.

Does it run on the Steam Deck?

Extremely well. It's really well suited to portable play and runs and controls perfectly on deck.

Source: my holiday last month.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished clash. good game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the truest sign of clash understanding the spirit of zeno clash is that after zeno clash 2 left me with dozens of questions years ago, clash successfully made me play a 14 hour game, not learn a single answer to any of them at all, only come out with even more questions, and be pretty satisfied with that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think between Zeno 2 and Artifacts you get enough broad strokes of the setting’s history, but the series has always been more of a rumination on the nature of law and anarchy anyway so fine details take a backseat to vibes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they kiiiiiinda explain what's going on societally with zenozoik and the world outside it but both games also make it clear that there's just like. a lot of bizarre poo poo nobody really understands. zeno clash 2 has some of the weirder sequences when you're reaching the edge of zenozoik that never come up again and clash basically outright tells you they're not going to explain what some of the major stuff in its story is lol

it's a series that knows what it needs to explain for its major ideas to make sense, and it will only ever explain that much. it'll explain enough for you to understand who a character like golem is, what he's like and why he's like that. but you're never going to learn the exact nature of its world because that would be boring

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 27, 2024

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Star Ocean content update outta nowhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFwBI7iALhA
https://twitter.com/StarOcean/status/1772927017895514469

quote:

Ver. 1.10 Update Content

Added "CHAOS" difficulty.
Added new raid enemies to post-game world map.
Added characters that can be used for Assault Actions.
Added new weapons, armor, accessories, and key items.
Added new craftable weapons to IC Customization.
Adjusted ally symbologist AI.
Added a feature that allows players to choose whether or not their level is carried over when carrying over save data.
Added a feature that changes the title screen once the game has been beaten.
Added text to be displayed when using Oracle.
Added playback features to the Ending Collection under the title screen's "Special" option.
Added "Char. Graphics Collection" under the title screen's "Special" option.
Miscellaneous bug fixes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strangely enough I was looking at replaying this game again.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

quote:

Adjusted ally symbologist AI.

goddammit if this means casters no longer just stand in AOEs im so loving mad i played this before that change

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

abraham linksys posted:

goddammit if this means casters no longer just stand in AOEs im so loving mad i played this before that change

Casters just might be good for more than buffing the active team via Assault Actions and crafting now! Or they'll just start spamming their lowest damage spell with the longest casting time, most likely.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
The one new raid fight that has a "Can't Use Bloody Equipment" modifier on it was very rude

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh dang more star ocean

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I hosed up unlocking the true final boss so those additions are welcome when I eventually replay the game on the Claude route

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
One nice thing about the SO2R update that they didn't mention is that all assists can now break the damage limit when previously only the player characters could, most of the previous SO heroes capped their damage at 9999 really early on but now they all do around 14k per hit, I assume the character you're controlling still needs to be able to do so on their own though.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

The one new raid fight that has a "Can't Use Bloody Equipment" modifier on it was very rude

There's still several other ways to become invincble that work just as well, still took me several tries since I didn't remember the specifics right off the bat.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

is that uhhhh. rygar?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I ended up in a haze and finished In Stars and Time. I share the opinion that it's great and you should get it if you like the concept, but I digress in... combat was fine? At the very least for me it had enough stuff to think about usually, the main annoyance is how hard it's to dodge encounters without the equipment for it, but I guess it was intentional.

Spoilerly stuff: jesus act 5 was punch in the gut after another siffrin stop doing all these cruel but relatable things. Made Act 6 much sweeter at least, specially the part where you can brain fart Mirabelle with "God's real" and Isabeau with the Bad Thing which Now is Funny Thing in a Way. I am curious at how much did Ibraum explore the game, cause I did feel the content warnings were appropriate. I, uh, shouldn't have pushed the topic of the dagger. Or the Bad Touch. Or basically any mental breakdown on Siffrin.

That said the game got me good, cause I guessed Loop's true identity from the very first time he asked... but was completely wrong about the context. That said dude should have grinded more, I was doing half a healthbar every time.

Also, about something Ibraum mentioned: I'm pretty sure the game never disclosing stuff about The Island and why it disappeared is intentional. Like, it's the point that no one remembers anything related to it besides minor things. Like how there's a house you can never open in Dormount and you go back in the end and it turns out a villager locked themselves in.

I guess it's now time to go kill Chaos for a change of pace. Or Baldur's Gate 3 cause for some reason my Brain is unable to properly Play it. And also wanted to wait if they're gonna add official mod support or so I heard.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kirbysuperstar posted:

is that uhhhh. rygar?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oh

oh my

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Classics of game

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
WiiWare? looks more like ShovelWare.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ah a prequel to final fantasy the crystal bearers

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Reminds me of the boss stylus challenges in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

What is a "clockwise lasso"?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Reminds me of the boss stylus challenges in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

What is a "clockwise lasso"?

Presumable the motion one makes using a lasso, a circlular motion made with the wiiimote pointing up

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Barudak posted:

Presumable the motion one makes using a lasso, a circlular motion made with the wiiimote pointing up

That actually sounds fun. Hopefully the game detects it reliably!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the reason you have to do that motion is because the game has multiple different throwable objects and every throwable object is mapped to its own throwing motion. they're all just separate motion-activated throw buttons

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the reason you have to do that motion is because the game has multiple different throwable objects and every throwable object is mapped to its own throwing motion. they're all just separate motion-activated throw buttons

Oh

Thats worrying

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Never heard of this game before! I liked the original though!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

you win the game when you throw the wiimote in the trash

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Oh dear...

Man that reminds me of how disappointed I was in the wii ssx that tried to do gestures for uber tricks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started a new playthrough of Star Ocean 2, but on the new chaos difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Listen, we appreciate that like to play obscure games of often questionable quality and post about it, but it's not cool to just make games up, okay!

Interplay as a brand has been such a shitshow since 2003.