Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Been replaying Octo 2 in-between Eiyuden. And goddamn i love being reminded how good the music is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAvTr2uiwA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Hard agree. I find myself whistling Partitio’s theme on the regular.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Yup, both Octopath soundtracks are all-timers. Was listening to 2's again today while running errands (don't know when it went up but it's finally out on streaming for whoever else cares) and there's really good stuff in there I'd almost forgotten.

Ragequit posted:

Hard agree. I find myself whistling Partitio’s theme on the regular.

This was me with Agnea's and Temenos' but humming since I can't whistle lol

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Reyna in EC is starting to piss me off. I'm still not sure who to bring to actually do enough damage, but the battle also keeps ending before the third round fully plays out now. I can break her Armor just fine, but it doesn't really help much. the only magic worth a drat is the DoT from the Darkness Rune. Yusuke can pull off good damage but only if I charge him up. I feel like I'm missing something useful here, other than grinding more levels, and I'm already at about 43. I know SP is supposed to carry between battles but that seems to be a bit random.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Picked up SaGa: Emerald Beyond after playing the demo for a few hours and enjoying it a fair bit. Still in the first world for Diva, anything I should know about ahead of time? This is my first SaGa, and it definitely seems like the type of game that there could be some got-ya moments or important mechanics that are easy to miss / overlook.

Also, when should I consider running other character stories? After beating Diva, or should I hop into a second playthrough for her right away? I know that the individual stories are short by JRPG metrics, and that the second playthrough of a character can be vastly different than the first.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

EclecticTastes posted:

One thing I absolutely did not see coming in Eiyuden is Kurtz just straight-up murdering Trey, holy poo poo, dude. Like, I get it, he killed your loved ones first but there is a difference between striking an enemy down in battle and just stabbing an unarmed man to death with a kitchen knife after beating him in a cooking contest.

EDIT: By the way, does anyone know the actual favorite foods of the cast? B'baba is useless for about half the cast and this guide just straight-up loving lies when the author doesn't actually know the right answer (Galladur and Chandra are two examples I recall offhand where their favorite foods are just, not the things the guide claims they are).

I actually shouted "holy poo poo" outloud when I realized what happened. The rest of the quest had just been hilariously over the top cooking nonsense. Of course then you talk to him afterwards and it's just HEY YOU WANT SOME FOOD?!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CodfishCartographer posted:

Picked up SaGa: Emerald Beyond after playing the demo for a few hours and enjoying it a fair bit. Still in the first world for Diva, anything I should know about ahead of time? This is my first SaGa, and it definitely seems like the type of game that there could be some got-ya moments or important mechanics that are easy to miss / overlook.

Also, when should I consider running other character stories? After beating Diva, or should I hop into a second playthrough for her right away? I know that the individual stories are short by JRPG metrics, and that the second playthrough of a character can be vastly different than the first.

Emerald Beyond is pretty frictionless as far as SaGa games go. Each world is pretty straightforward at guiding you to its conclusion, and even if you don't finish a world "optimally", whatever, just move on! Pretty much the only gotcha moment I can think of is specifically on Diva's route(don't use Constantine).

As far as NG+ stuff goes, the answer is that nobody is entirely sure yet 100% what exactly changes on later cycles and how much of what does change is specific from character to character, so the answer boils down to "play whoever you feel like".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did a race series in the patched chocobo gp. as the only one who cared enough to play it i get to be the one who hears this zozo remix now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkhOyrBN-c

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Hunter Noventa posted:

Reyna in EC is starting to piss me off. I'm still not sure who to bring to actually do enough damage, but the battle also keeps ending before the third round fully plays out now. I can break her Armor just fine, but it doesn't really help much. the only magic worth a drat is the DoT from the Darkness Rune. Yusuke can pull off good damage but only if I charge him up. I feel like I'm missing something useful here, other than grinding more levels, and I'm already at about 43. I know SP is supposed to carry between battles but that seems to be a bit random.

I came back after recruiting Momo with Inferno Pillar and having Douglas(I think that's his name, the support who buffs your attack stats) proc around my late 40s. She's got ~1500 hp on normal

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Hunter Noventa posted:

Reyna's thing is currently bugged. The battle ends instantly when deal about 1500 damage, and she's supposed to join you at that point, but a scripting error causes the fail state to always occur on turn three, even if the battle ended in your favor. This means you actually only have two turns to do it. As such, here are my tips for getting her without having to massively outlevel her (she's good enough to be worth it, at least):

-The actual dark magic that will win you the fight is Reaper's Lullaby. If you don't get the sleep proc, don't bother doing anything else and let the fight reset, but it shouldn't take too long. Make sure you use a slow character, like Gieran, so that your other characters don't wake her up. She can't Defend when she's asleep.

-The heaviest hitters possible at that point in the game without needing to pray for a specific start-of-battle SP distribution are Yusuke, Iugo, Lam, Maureus, and Nowa using Swinging Slash (the sixth slot will be the mage that's casting Reaper's Lullaby).

-Bring Douglas, his proc actually isn't strictly necessary, but it makes it a lot easier and more consistent to pull off.

-Turn 1, have Yusuke charge (he'll do half the damage you need all by himself), have Lam transform, have Maureus use his Muscle Magic (if he doesn't start with SP, a normal attack is equally good, as long as he acts before your sleeper, otherwise have him defend; you should still be fine if your weapons are at the current upgrade limit), have Iugo attack normally, and have Nowa either attack normally (if he starts with one SP), Chain Strike (if he starts with 2 SP), or Swinging Slash (if he starts with 3 SP). Turn 2, have Maureus and Lam attack normally, have your mage cast Sacrificial Brand, have Yusuke either attack normally or use Armor-Piercing Strike (if he's got 2+ SP), have Nowa use Swinging Slash, have Iugo use Slash with whatever SP he has. It is unlikely you'll actually need all of those hits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah due to the bug for Reyna you absolutely positutely want to put her to sleep.

One other thing that can help is the rune shard that deals recurring dark damage, using it does about 600 in the two turns you have. Between that and a charged attack on turn two (assuming you slept her) you've got almost all or have all the damage you need.

For my run it was my standard party + milana since shes pretty slow so everyone broke armor/charged/dark sharded her turn one then she got put to sleep then I barfed out 1200 damage the next turn.

Edit: the final epilogue title card go by way too fast, but not so fast to not see "in him country"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 3, 2024

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Emerald Beyond is pretty frictionless as far as SaGa games go. Each world is pretty straightforward at guiding you to its conclusion, and even if you don't finish a world "optimally", whatever, just move on! Pretty much the only gotcha moment I can think of is specifically on Diva's route(don't use Constantine).

As far as NG+ stuff goes, the answer is that nobody is entirely sure yet 100% what exactly changes on later cycles and how much of what does change is specific from character to character, so the answer boils down to "play whoever you feel like".

Oh huh, good to know about Constantine. I actually realized I had gone a long time just keeping him as support and was worried it would bite me in the rear end, so I started using him. Is it a big deal if I keep doing so, or should I stop?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers worth playing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CV 64 Fan posted:

Is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers worth playing?

It's worth sampling at least, it's.. An interesting project

Butt bounce kupo

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I keep sorta meaning to look at Crystal Bearers because I was always fascinated with the lore/setting of the original Crystal Chronicles as a kid and that seems to be the only other CC game that even kinda continues it. But I forget.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for some reason like seven characters from it were in dissidia opera omnia (rip)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh huh, good to know about Constantine. I actually realized I had gone a long time just keeping him as support and was worried it would bite me in the rear end, so I started using him. Is it a big deal if I keep doing so, or should I stop?

There's not really any active penalty for using him, but he will 100% leave your party no ifs, ands, or buts prior to the final series of bosses, which means that you'll need someone strong enough to replace him(at which point you might as well have not used him and instead raised someone else instead). Don't panic about "wasting" time using him though; I used him for like 60% of my playthrough before dropping him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have a reasoned review of Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. I think this may be the best video game of all time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I have a reasoned review of Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. I think this may be the best video game of all time.

You got to the Red XIII scene, didn't you?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Crystal Bearers feels like a bizarre unfinished tech demo, but as a result it's pretty short and doesn't demand much of its extremely limited combat mechanics, so it can be sorta fun getting shuffled between physics playgrounds and setpiece minigames.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

There's not really any active penalty for using him, but he will 100% leave your party no ifs, ands, or buts prior to the final series of bosses, which means that you'll need someone strong enough to replace him(at which point you might as well have not used him and instead raised someone else instead). Don't panic about "wasting" time using him though; I used him for like 60% of my playthrough before dropping him.

'might as well have not used him' is kinda weird. if he helps you get through most of the game, why does him not existing for like 3% of the game matter? have a backup to replace him but if hes good and youre getting use out of him, use him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Crystal Bearers feels like a bizarre unfinished tech demo, but as a result it's pretty short and doesn't demand much of its extremely limited combat mechanics, so it can be sorta fun getting shuffled between physics playgrounds and setpiece minigames.

Yeah, it's basically a collection of weird gimmick poo poo, but that kind of makes it appealing. It's just "we decided to be weird as hell" and that is fun.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

You got to the Red XIII scene, didn't you?

I actually knew that the voice change was coming and apparently it was only really a spoiler in the english script because of poor localization of the original game

the scene that inspired me making this post, was Dio showing up

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

'might as well have not used him' is kinda weird. if he helps you get through most of the game, why does him not existing for like 3% of the game matter? have a backup to replace him but if hes good and youre getting use out of him, use him

He doesn't really help you get through the game, per se. He doesn't even start in your active party, so you need to switch around to even use him to begin with, and there's nothing special about him compared to any of the people you'd need to bench to put him in. Diva's route starts with more characters than you can fit in your active party.

The final boss is easily the hardest part of the route, so you might as well spend the time raising someone you can actually use for it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ok i've played 25 hours of Eiyuden and i think that's enough that i can give a kinda final grade on it. i'm up to the war battle in athabralt.

everything that makes this game good is stuff that has nothing to do with the gameplay. okay, that's not entirely true, because i do really like the town building, the minigames are fun mild diversions and i have no interest in 100%ing the game so they can remain that way. bosses with gimmicks are kinda fun, and some are pretty inventive like the Old Town Hishan boss. the game is, for better or worse, a PS2 JRPG in 2024, and as far as, like, the actual play experience goes, I would sooner play it than Suikoden 3 with its clunky menus, interface, framerate issues, etc.

but man is there so much that is bizarre in the design decisions. magic seems like it's fundamentally weaker than strength at equal numbers, despite magic often delaying your turn to cast. it should very obviously be the opposite, that a lower numbered magic stat is more powerful than a higher numbered strength stat, and the delay is the check and balance. instead, it's worse and takes longer. you can ignore the speed stat and most if not all of your team will go before enemies, including bosses. so that means the only actual stats that matter are pure STR and DEF, which makes this the most basic combat of any large stage RPG in years. it's like Kemco-level.

so like, you have aspects of the game that are an 8 out of 10 or even higher, like the visual design, the great sprite animations and how much personality they have, the great cast of eccentric and appealing recruits, the town building being my favorite since (similarly flawed) Ni No Kuni 2, the story is mostly well paced (the ice cave felt like a pointless 'filler episode' bit though), the music is good and i like the multiple boss themes, I think Nowa is a great protagonist and Marissa probably WOULD be if she had her own game (unfortunately her and Seign don't really feel like true tri-protags like Suikoden 3 but, rather, important background characters)

but the actual gameplay is like a 6.5 out of 10 because the combat is so much of the game and it's so basic. even with a low encounter rate on console, it's a drag. things like elemental affinities, armor class, and higher level runes are in the game, but they don't matter, pretty much none of them matter. buffs are extremely weak. maybe the one good spell i've seen all game is the one that nullifies 1 attack on the party, and that's, like, a common spell in Trails games haha. i'll pair a rune with a character who has that affinity and it doesn't really make a significant difference. also, the poor rune customization sucks and I wish it was more like, well, Trails games with the quartz slots. You had far more flexibility in those games, while here, you're really limited to just basically having one magic rune, a passive rune slot that is functionally worthless, and very few characters that can accept new skill attacks bought/dropped.

i score on a weighted system and the number i get for Eiyuden is 74.5, which is less than sea of star's 77... and yeah, both kind of have similar reasons that they come up short of being great. sea of stars actually has kind of fun combat but it never changes from start to finish. I'd still rank that combat slightly better because there is better/clearer affinity exploitation in that game, even if it, like eiyuden, comes down to doing the same skills again and again for hours. but yea, the game that i keep thinking about as a comparison to Eiyuden is Ni No Kuni 2. it's the Ni No Kuni 2 of Suikoden. both have great art direction, fine but not stellar story, fun town building, weirdly simple squadron battles (probably forgot NNK2 had those, didn't you?), boring combat. that's right i'll say it, Eiyuden is like if Level 5 made a Suikoden

the next jrpg i play will maybe be saga scarlet graces, because i should play that before emerald. but i also have the arpg Nayuta Trails game so I might play that first? IDK. there's also all the crazy amount of indie games this month. also torch60 put out another free rpg this year called Astra Hunter Zosma and that might be a nice palette cleanser. i'll figure it out!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 3, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
constantine doesn't have any unique benefits to make you use him. unless there are hidden status modifiers (there are definitely hidden status modifiers), humans in emerald beyond are interchangeable. any human can learn any techs and fill any party role if you raise them accordingly. the only difference is their innate element skill level, which can not be permanently increased. but the natural level is very low compared to what you can get it up to with gear and roles. for example, it's not really a big deal to make someone with 0 water skill into your dedicated water mage. you just have to boost it with gear so you can learn the spells.

it's not like scarlet grace, where starting stats and weapon proficiency made it very clear what, if anything, a character was good at.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think my conclusion is that ff7:rebirth is like xenoblade 2 where if your game has incredibly cool 3d towns i can gently caress around in while listening to incredibly good music, i will basically stick with it forever

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The 7th Guest posted:

you can ignore the speed stat and most if not all of your team will go before enemies, including bosses. so that means the only actual stats that matter are pure STR and DEF, which makes this the most basic combat of any large stage RPG in years. it's like Kemco-level.

Most of what you said is true and unarguable but I just wanna say that this statement makes it immediately obvious you played on Normal rather than Hard, which does add some extra wrinkles to the combat system. You get outsped EXTREMELY often on Hard unless you're using actually speedy characters to the point that it's actually a big problem in random encounters. I wouldn't say Hard makes the combat super interesting or anything but it at least requires some use of braincells rather than none.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On the bad fine good continuum Eiyuden is fine. On the more diagnostic and precise multi-axial European Hercules Movie rating system it is a Goliath and the Dragon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I actually knew that the voice change was coming and apparently it was only really a spoiler in the english script because of poor localization of the original game

the scene that inspired me making this post, was Dio showing up

Dio being voiced by Akiyama Yakuza in Japanese was the icing on the cake.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

Dio being voiced by Akiyama Yakuza in Japanese was the icing on the cake.

i was a big fan of the honeybee inn guy being the Persona Yusuke/Gundham Tanaka/Gintama guy.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Infinity Gaia posted:

Most of what you said is true and unarguable but I just wanna say that this statement makes it immediately obvious you played on Normal rather than Hard

It also shows he only used the faster characters or was significantly overleveling, because a bunch of characters, even good ones, get outsped by fairly average enemies, even on normal. Maureus, Gieran, Reyna, Garoo, Francesca, etc. And some enemies are fast enough to go before any but the fastest characters.

Eiyuden is a very charming minigame collection with a decent, but not great, JRPG wrapped around it. Good for anyone who wishes Konami still made Suikoden, but if you haven't already played those games, you may as well go do that before picking this one up. I give Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes a 3 (insert fifth repetition of a "Mighty Dux"="Mighty Ducks" running gag) out of 5.

god i hope someone remembers x-play well enough for that reference to land

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao Adam Sessler

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Barreft posted:

Been replaying Octo 2 in-between Eiyuden. And goddamn i love being reminded how good the music is

The way it does the transition from character themes into the boss theme gets me every single time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eiyuden is exactly the kind of game that would have existed if konami had made an actual new suikoden on like, psp, yeah. its not a masterpiece but its what the pitch was.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Barreft posted:

oh poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the octopath 2 composer ftw. he is obviously most famous for Konami's Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel which i have stopped playing because of ff7r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyWdcRT4m5k

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I thought people had no idea who did the MD music, other than a brief period where someone uploaded it to Spotify with some John Smith-rear end name

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it got confirmed at some point but yeah it was one of those things where they didn't credit anyone who worked on the game which happens with the YGO card art too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it got confirmed at some point but yeah it was one of those things where they didn't credit anyone who worked on the game which happens with the YGO card art too

I feel like this isn't the first time Konami's done this