Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone remember Dungeon Hack? It's pretty much Pool of Radiance: the Roguelike. You go through a randomly generated dungeon with a wide array of settings to tweak to get the style of dungeon you're after, possibly including multilevel puzzles, tweaking/disabling the hunger system, adjusting the encounter difficulty and much more. About the only downsides to it are being a D&D2e game and only having one pc instead of a party. I used to play it so drat much as a kid.

e: HOTU link

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheOriginalEd posted:

You can see the outcome of the gear combo before you commit to it iirc so never commit to a combo unless you see the desired result. VERY specific combinations will result in something better (its like drat near impossible to get Hagane or Damascus out of a combo) but the main reason to combine armor I find is to transfer affinities.

Hagane is easy, Damascus is a bitch. Iron + Bronze = Hagane. Damascus armor is basically impossible for the average user, especially if you want it to have decent stats. You can combine like pieces of armor to get a fairly decent boost to blunt/edged/pierce defense and it's not terribly hard (for something hella spergy) to make a full set of hagane gear with 99 on all 3.

Most weapon upgrades are either weapon + weapon 1 tier down = weapon 1 tier up or 2 of same weapon = 1 tier up. There are other combinations, but those are the simplest to remember. Most of the junk you find in the first area has strange special cases, though

:frogsiren: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS :frogsiren: carry an edged weapon, a blunt weapon and a piercing weapon. By far the most common mistake is making one decent weapon and then whining when it does poo poo damage to 2/3 of the game. B/E/P type has by far the greatest effect on damage. Don't bother spergin over elements and monster types, you can fix them both for the situation using gems.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 16, 2010

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

Yeah, I'm not trying to worry too much about building up monster types/elements and just using whatever weapon bests fits the situation. I've been using my crossbow for fliers like bats and phantoms and my club against zombies, since you can get in like five strikes on them before they even know what's going on.

EDIT: Am I right in assuming that if you miss on your first hit, any attempts to chain in that same attack will miss as well? That's what seems to be happening with me.

They won't always miss, but you'll be building from zero damage and relying entirely on the small damage bonus you get ever step in the chain. Chainspam also rapidly raises risk, which will further lower your hit rate. The manual tries to spin risk as a double edged sword, but it has basically no practical value. Your hit rate plummets and you take more damage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 16, 2010

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

To be honest, I have no idea. I just bought it and its on my memory stick, just waiting to be played.

Apperently there are a ton of customization options, so its good for some mindless hacking n slashing and continiously leveling up and finding better and better stuff.

Story is supposed to be minimal I heard, so in a way it is basically a super dungeon crawler. I think the environments are at least varied.

This pretty well describes Cladun. There's a ton of customization options and the story is pretty much limited to a minute or 2 long cutscene with writing that may be just a tad too self aware for its own good. Gets a little old once you've seen all the different enemy types since there's maybe a dozen if you don't count the 6+ pallet swaps of everything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

If it's like homebrew it probably won't work on a PSP-3000, due to board differences.

Homebrew has worked on psp-3000s for over a year now. And I have a friend who's been running Breath of Fire IV in Popstation on one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

Okay, you're right on that one. I was thinking permanent homebrew which is doable on 1000-2000s but I know 3000s have a temporary workaround.

Anyways... another Vagrant Story question. Is it common to be doing only single-digit damage to bosses unless you're chaining non-stop? Almost all the bosses past the first one appear to be like that and I just beat the Ifrit-looking guy in the abandoned mines.

Like I said several posts up: bring a weapon of each type (blunt, slashing, piercing) and be ready to gem and/or enchant them (with spells like luft fusion) to handle elemental properties. Most bosses have really obvious elemental weaknesses, but the main type varies wildly and can often change from part to part. If you're doing any weaponsmithing at all, you should at least be doing double digits most of the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

Yeah, neglecting weaponsmithing is likely the reason why. I'm still using a bronze crossbow, goblin club and greataxe, none of which have gem slots. I definitely plan to do some heavy-duty tinkering once I get to another workroom.

Yeah, you should have some hagane by now if you're having any luck at all with drops. Also, gem slots are from grips and you really shouldn't be using any grips that don't have at least one unless your only slotted ones are absolutely terrible for what you're wanting to do (axes and maces use the same grips and there are grips that lean heavily toward one side or the other, same thing happens with piercing vs edged polearms).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jerkstore77 posted:

Earthbound is the best rpg.

:what:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stelas posted:

EVERGRACE

Evergrace at least tried to be something different than your average jrpg, and is actually kinda fun once you know what the gently caress you're doing. The long rear end bonus dungeon where you have to pray nothing ever knocks you into a pit for the hours it takes to get through is pretty inexcusable, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stelas posted:

Ephemeral Phantasia did a lot of things wrong - most of them - but I kind of appreciated the idea behind trying to manipulate and work within timeloops. I never got the chance to play Majora's Mask so it was kind of neat.

I guess so, but even when I can usually find something to like about any RPG (be it mechanics or style or whatever) I really had to reach pretty hard for Evergrace. I suppose Forever Kingdom was even worse because the dumb 'this-is-awful' charm was gone and replaced with pure blandness.

PS2 had some really bizarre obscure RPGs. I want someone to LP Unlimited SaGa if only because I spent weeks learning how the mechanics worked. Even then I don't think I completed a single storyline.

First you'd have to find someone who actually liked Unlimited SaGa unlike the 99.99999% of people who played it and would rather stick the disc in the microwave to save others from the chance that might play that garbage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

Play Ys: Oath in Felghana.

Then, play Lufia: CotS on the DS and find out that it runs about half as smooth as YS so it feels like your constantly chugging along everywhere you go. Also, that it has a lovely camera system which doesn't work well with its constant platforming. The attack animations lock you in, so when your attacking an enemy and one is coming up behind you, you better not have loving pressed attack again before you could have seen it (too bad you already have) because now your locked in and can only watch as the enemy slowly lumbers towards your rear end and hits you because you can't escape. And last but not least, the art design was loving horrible.

I probably found Lufia was more terrible than a lot of others because I literally had JUST finished Oath in Felghana. Oath is a masterpiece. Runs smoothly, looks great, a little bit of platforming here and there but a static camera makes sure that it's not a problem. On top of that, you can always break out of your attacks at any time you feel like because they happen so fast because you need the reflexes of superman to dodge some of the poo poo they throw at you. They nailed the "action" part of Action RPG.

Lufia is dog poo poo compared to Oath in Felghana and I simply could not play it after having played Ys and sold it after I realized that.

To be fair, comparing any action rpg to YsF is going to leave you disappointed. I can't think of anything besides other Ys games that have gameplay anywhere near that good

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also, the 2 characters play just differently enough that if you've been playing as Mr. Reporter for a while you'll have a hard time wanting to play as Miss Rooted-to-the-loving-Ground-During-Ever-Move

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Is powering up most of your attacks necessary to beat the game, or is it something I can avoid if I want? I hate grinding, so if it's that bad I'll probably just pass on it.

You'll want to level them up a bit, but you'll fairly quickly find some keepers you can stick with for the most part. You definitely don't want to fight chapter bosses without your good attacks leveled up as high as you can. You can easily get away with finding an attack you like of each element and sticking with it, though your taste in them is likely to change as the game goes on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Alright, good to know. Thanks for the opinions everybody; the game's cheap enough that I think I'll probably end up getting it.

I wouldn't bother with the dlc, but it's a fun game in spite of its flaws.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

A friend of mine is joining the army so he's selling all of his old ps2 games off, and among them are the Xenosaga games. I always hear pretty...odd things about them to say the least, but he'll sell em all to me for about 10 dollars. They worth it?

For 10bux, maybe. Depends on your tolerance for hour long cutscenes and Nietzsche references.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Question:

Is MLB 2011: The Show at least partially an RPG? You can create a character, adjust his stat points and "class", and then level him up through "real combat" and "training" modes. You can go many different routes with your character, there's not really a "story" in the pure sense but you can demand trades or complain to the media. If Road to the Show isn't an RPG because the actual game play in no way resembles what we think of an RPG as resembling, then why is a 3rd person shooter with dialogue options an RPG?

More on the topic of actual RPGs, I know that people on this forum have said good things about Resonance of Fate. I'm thinking about buying it because it's been cut to 20 dollars on Amazon and I was already looking at ordering Alpha Protocol. Are these two games together worth the the order, or will I just be upset five hours into Resonance of Fate and put it down forever?

RoF has some good ideas, but doesn't really do much with them. Combat gets pretty repetitive maybe a quarter of the way through, despite being basically the only thing the game has to offer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain Vittles posted:

Yes, organ transplants were in the game. Aya had a sister, Maya, who died in an accident. One of Maya's corneas was transplanted to Aya, as one of her eyes was bad thanks to a genetic defect. One of Maya's kidneys was transplanted to a girl named Melissa Pearce. What doctors didn't know at the time was that Maya possessed evolved mitochondria.

In order to keep her kidney, Melissa had to take immune suppressents her entire life. This kept her body weak enough for the mitochondria to take over, turning her into the villain, Eve. Aya is able to resist Eve's power because she possesses the same mitochondrial power, but somehow retains control of herself (I forget exactly what kind of nonsense reasoning was involved; it's been a long time since I played the game, and I think it's all explained in EX Mode which I only finished once).

So yeah, an organ transplant was the source of the evil. Had Maya's evolved body been left intact after death, none of this would have ever happened. :rolleyes:

I've never played Parasite Eve 2 or The 3rd Birthday, though, so I dunno how the story changed after the first game.

2 is the aftermath of a bunch of crazies building a compound in the middle of nowhere to test ways of "reintegrating humanity into the natural ecosystem" using even weirder mitochondria based poo poo than the first game. The 3rd Birthday is just dumb and no one should play it, the plot and characterization.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

PE2 is Resident Evil meets Jurassic Park meets the NRA. Douglas and his dog are the best characters in that game and you can take that opinion from my cold dead hands.

On a slight change of subject, dis astranagant, are you still planning on doing a Vagrant Story LP at some point? I remember you mentioning at some point that you can beat it while ignoring most of the grind.

Life's getting a little crazy right now and I kinda stopped working on it the last time that other guy said he was going to. I think it's slipped into dueling procrastination at this point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

S-Alpha posted:

That depends on what you consider fun. I find turn-based systems fun, and enjoy the micromanagement. It's a little odd to just ask for a "fun battle system". But since what you probably meant was an action-rpg style, I'd recommend Star Ocean. I found it enjoyable for however long I could stand to play it.

Whether or not you'll like the story depends on how much you can tolerate having an interesting space opera setting, which is quickly thrown out the window for swords and stuff. Despite the world-building they did.

I know a lot of people like Tales, but I can't really stand the series, so I try to avoid making comments on it. You may like it, though.

Star Ocean 2 brings the space opera right back at the midpoint, though you don't do a whole lot of planet hopping.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I liked the first one's system better as they toned down your ability to manipulate turns quite a bit in the sequel. Nearly every skill had some amount of delay on hit, which would more or less amount to resetting turns if you hit a weakness or a crit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

niggapolis posted:

Is Chantelise the SRPG? because I wasnt very interested in the premise of your first game but I will buy the poo poo out of an SRPG by you guys

It's Recettear 0.5, more or less.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shakugan posted:

Nier or Resonance of Fate. I think I want to play RoF more, but I'm not sure that I'm really in the mood for an overly long RPG.

Or I could just finish Tales of Vesperia which I haven't played for a year.

Thoughts?

Nier, by miles. Resonance of Fate is yet another notch in Tri-Ace's lifetime achievement award for squandered potential, while Nier has some of the best characterization and voice acting of any rpg I've ever played. You get everything RoF has to offer in the first couple hours of play, after which you just do the same same lengthy combat animations over and over while the game checks off a few more items of the rpg cliche list.

I got both during Amazon's thanksgiving sale. RoF sits half finished, while Nier compelled me to plow through it, getting all the endings in just a couple weeks.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 16, 2011

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And let's not forget the loving amazing soundtrack!

Rule number 1 of Nier: if something looks like tedious bullshit, ignore it. If you sperg, the game will mock you mercilessly for it. THAT is why this game got such bad press.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 16, 2011

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Between PS1 load times for battles/transitions, the sheer linear MESS of the game for most of it, and how some sections drag on for an hour or more past where you want them to end, you're totally in the right for that. I've sworn to myself the only way I'm ever gonna replay/finish it is if they do a portable remake or something that'll let me take care of the miserable bits on the can or the train.

The best way to replay it is in epsxe, with the your graphics settings turned way down and the framerate limiter off any time you're grinding. That way you can grind at 10x normal speed or faster and get on with your life. Hell, I do that for most any psx rpg.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

U.T. Raptor posted:

Every fourth boss or so was a goddamn brick wall :argh:

Until you get a Godhand, then few bosses stand a chance to your UltraHit spam.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Konstantin posted:

I don't think that you need to grind in FFVII, unless you want to kill the optional bosses or do Chocobo breeding. The final boss is actually easier if you don't grind and are below a certain level.

Who said anything about FFVII? We're talkin DQVII, one of the grindiest fuckin games ever. The fastest path to an advanced class takes around 1500 battles starting ~12-20 hours in and that's not even touching monster classes, living and breathing lucky panel or getting any abilities not directly related to beating the piss out of things. Sad thing is, you can actually get that by the end of the game without doing anything the game would consider excessive grinding.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Don't forget that grinding TOO much in an area would actually make it so that you didn't level up in your jobs anymore, but it would not tell you this.

Dragon Quest VII was the death of that series for a reason and I'm glad they really reworked it from VIII onwards.

To be fair, it would have been passable if they hadn't tried to stretch DQVI into a 150 hour slog and just stretch everything out to fit that time frame. And you really only have to worry about those caps if you go metal hunting heavily. Or sit in disc 1 areas til endgame levels.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nene. posted:

Have you guys been thinking about what you're posting? Jobs stop getting points when you are too high a level for the area you're at... and this is an example of how grindy DQ7 is? No, I'm pretty sure it's an explicit anti-grinding measure. Not that it's a great thing that they don't tell you about it, I wouldn't defend that, but it's a way to punish grinding none the less.

The entire series after a certain point early on moved away from grinding as a strategy and DQ7 is no exception. Levels give poo poo for attributes and next to nothing in the way of skills (at least in the case of DQ7), with the focus instead being on equipment. Grinding barely helped in DQ7, to the extent that I feel very sorry about anybody who required and practiced it to overcome a difficult boss, instead of, you know, changing their strategies.

In DW7, grinding is often a requirement for changing your strategy. You don't grind levels, you grind hundreds of battles in order to get the skills you want/need to get the job done.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heh, I was maybe 35 but I had UltraHit on 2 characters. But I can easily see someone loving up the class system bad enough to be completely screwed. Like running for things like ranger, pirate and tamer on multiple people (having one guy for that ain't a bad idea, however).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Actually, some of the basic monster classes are way harder to get than many higher classes thanks to lucky panel. There's 2 or 3 basics that you can't get nor get descendants of from lucky panel, which means you have to farm them for a million years trying to get a heart. I want to say it's BoltRat and Lizardman. Luckily you can get a platking heart for tiny medals, so you're guaranteed that on one character (probably Gabo).

Not that it matters. The one true way to annihilate the gently caress out of the game is to rush hero and melvin to GodHand while Maribel and/or Aira go TeenIdol and Gabo picks up the shepherd and thief based jobs or random monster classes. Vacuum comes fast and is crazy overpowered til you hit RockThrow and really stop caring that random encounters exist. This breaks down postgame, but that's your problem for being enough of a worthless loving sperg to do the postgame.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 18, 2011

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tenderjerk posted:

Jesus Christ, Nintendo.

What 3 games?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What's the deal with the "something else" anyway? Looks second party but the reviews seem pretty mixed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Doesn't it, like, not end, because the Xenosaga series was supposed to go 1-4 into Xenogears' Episode 5? Nothing good can ever come of such a gimmick.

At one point it was rumored to be the full 6 episodes laid out in Perfect Works, but in the end I'm not sure they even finished episode 1.

Perfect Works basically laid it out as:
Episode 1 being up to the crash of the Eldridge
Episode 2 having Cain and Abel and the creation of man on the planet the Eldridge crashed on
Episode 3 talking about all the stuff going on in Zeboim, leading to Emeralda's creation and the end of that civilization
Episode 4 with Lacan and Sophia and the founding of Aveh
Xenogears
and Episode 6 for the aftermath of the wave existence going away.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 4, 2011

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Did anyone ever good mileage out of the Metal Saga game for the PS2?

I've wanted to try it, but it hates HDLoader and my dvd drive is dead.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

prometheusbound2 posted:

Another thing I haven't loved is the writing. I've liked the plot and story of both games well enough, but the writing seems kind of poor. I suspect this is a function of translation, or having been spoiled by BIS, Troika, and Obsidian. Is this something that got better with time as companies had the resources to hire better translators, or is just part of the genre?

It's part translation, part having to cram the entire game in a no more than 4 megabyte cartridge with financial incentives to use less (in the case of snes era games). And a great big part that's just how games were written in the early 90s.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Class of Heroes on the PSP is a pretty much a Wizardry game with most of the serial numbers filed off. Sadly, none of its sequels are in English. That's been a bit of a running theme for these kinds of games lately, only getting one of a series in English.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The psp version is by no means the best version of Persona 3. Quite a lot of scenes just don't work when reduced down to talking heads to fit on the psp. Play the original first, then maybe think about the psp version for new story.

Also, Ys: Oath in Felghana is on PSP now and owns hard. Great music, fun combat and is pretty much the best game Falcom ever made.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

prometheusbound2 posted:

So I guess after ChronoTrigger I'll move onto Suikoden II. I was fun enough, and I hear it's the best in the series.

What's the best game in the Tales series?

I'm partial to Tales of Destiny 2 (AKA Tales of Eternia everywhere but the US) on the psx, but I haven't played many of the more recent games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh, and if you're in this there and on a PS3 or 360, just loving play Nier already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plus Fallout 2 makes you slog through that godawful temple every time you start a new game.