Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I know I'll get poo poo for it. But I like Atelier Rorona. I think it shouldn't have been a 60$ (Canadian) game, but it's nice looking, has vibrant colours, and I loving LOVE trying to find as much random poo poo as I can so I can make other random poo poo. I'll sit around and find as many jobs as I can and then see which ones will all be doable just by going to certain places.

The combat isn't complex, it's incredibly straightforward and it's very anime inspired, but at the same time it's not like a lot of other RPG's and I like that. I hope NISA brings over Totori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

homeless snail posted:

No one is going to give you poo poo for liking Atelier, they're solid JRPGs. Now if you said you liked the art style and characters, well...

Well, I guess I'm not used to the better atmosphere here than the IGN PS3 board where everybody is claiming it's an incredibly lovely game and rails on it.

I hate that place. I don't even know why I still bother to check it out from time to time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

casual poster posted:

I think I may also be interested in the Ar tonelico series.
My adventure into the Atelier series didn't go so well, mostly because I had no clue what I was doing. I bet if I started with a easier one I would do better and get into it more.

Weren't you saying the font was too small and you couldn't read anything? I think that's the real problem as the game tells you what you need to be doing. Good excuse to get a bigger TV if you've got the spare cash. If not, well, hopefully you can return the game.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

casual poster posted:

I think.I may wait for someone to post a guide for altier rorona before I sell it, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Well, what's got you specifically stumped about Rorona? I've put about 4-5 hours into it, and can answer questions you may have about that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

casual poster posted:

Basically everything, mostly the alchemy. I'm playing this on a 24 inch tv and I can't read the tutorials because the font is so drat small.

Well, the problem with not being able to read things means you're going to have a problem with alchemy as well because you need to be able to read the smaller descriptions of things.

For example. One of the first items you need to make has to have any item that has the trait "Gunpowder" for existence. So in order to find out which items works, you have to look up the item and see which has the Gunpowder trait, like Beehives for example, can be found in the forest area and have that trait.

You have to mix specific things to get what they ask. Sometimes it's extremely specific like them wanting an exact item, or just wanting something like a plant and any plant will do.

You then bring this to the pot and when you have the required items you mix them together to create the item you want. When you do this, you A) lose how many days it takes to create how many items you want (which is indicated at the bottom of the screen, which if you couldn't read the tutorials, I don't know if you could read that, as it's even kinda small on my 37 HDTV) and you also need to have the amount of HP needed to make the item.

Like I said before, if you have a problem with the text in general. Playing the game is going to be a nightmare. It's an easy game to understand, however, you just got screwed on terrible choices on the Dev's/Publishers side. Which is no fault of your own. But of course, if you have the extra cash, maybe it's time to upgrade TV's, no? :D

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

Has anyone played any of the Legends of Heroes games? LoH: Trails in the Sky is coming out on PSP soon and I'm just wondering if I should care or not.

I didn't hear about this game until recently, but I decided to pre-order because Falcom is behind it and I love the YS series.

I haven't heard much about it beyond that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I highly doubt it would be an April fools day joke. Going through the trouble to get a teaser and register a site for a real, legit game and then going "HAHA, seriously, we're loving with you, this is never leaving Japan"

I don't think I've ever seen that done.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, but that's not a joke, the guys actually want to create the game and are more than likely trying to show that there's support for the project so it will be greenlit.

Unless it does lead up to april fools where they go "No we were never going to make the game at all, eat poo poo. Haha."

Then I'll be a little more believing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

And I'm really excited that Xenoblade's coming to Europe. I mean it's pretty inevitable that since they are translating it into English that it's going to come over here to America too right?

I would like to say yes. But Disaster: Day of Crisis, Another Code: R and Last Window would all lead me to say no.

But apparently NoA registered a website for it this time. So...maybe? Whatever, I'll just import if it comes out in Europe first unless a NA release is only a week or 2 behind.

Edge Zero posted:

What ever happened with Last Story? I understand it still hasn't had a confirmed US release, but all I know is that it got a pretty good Famitsu review. I never heard the internet gushing about what a travesty its lack of a release is, but didn't hear anything about 'more lovely bad rpgs from Mistwalker' either. I keep wanting to have faith in Mistwalker, but the lack of hearing anything about The Last Story makes me worry.

I haven't heard much either. But I haven't dug for info either. I would definitely love to see a NA release for it. But if current trends continue NoE will probably pick up the slack!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Brood posted:

You can pretty much skip any other game in the Lufia series, too. Even the DS remake was kind of disappointing.

If by disappointing you mean loving terrible. Than yes. It was disappointing

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

What was so bad about it? How do you mess up Ys-action-RPG + Lufia puzzles?

Play Ys: Oath in Felghana.

Then, play Lufia: CotS on the DS and find out that it runs about half as smooth as YS so it feels like your constantly chugging along everywhere you go. Also, that it has a lovely camera system which doesn't work well with its constant platforming. The attack animations lock you in, so when your attacking an enemy and one is coming up behind you, you better not have loving pressed attack again before you could have seen it (too bad you already have) because now your locked in and can only watch as the enemy slowly lumbers towards your rear end and hits you because you can't escape. And last but not least, the art design was loving horrible.

I probably found Lufia was more terrible than a lot of others because I literally had JUST finished Oath in Felghana. Oath is a masterpiece. Runs smoothly, looks great, a little bit of platforming here and there but a static camera makes sure that it's not a problem. On top of that, you can always break out of your attacks at any time you feel like because they happen so fast because you need the reflexes of superman to dodge some of the poo poo they throw at you. They nailed the "action" part of Action RPG.

Lufia is dog poo poo compared to Oath in Felghana and I simply could not play it after having played Ys and sold it after I realized that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Infinite Space was a pretty loving awesome Sci-Fi JRPG on the DS. I really hope they make a sequel. It needs one so bad.

Ragequit posted:

Has anyone played Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky? It seems pretty interesting, and the battle style looks neat from the trailer.

Playing it right now. 38 hours in. What do you wanna know?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ragequit posted:

Hah, 38 hours in like it isn't a big deal. You getting pretty close to beating it with that many hours in? I was curious what other RPGs it might compare to, and what makes it unique amongst other games.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm at the final dungeon. I know I'm on the final chapter at least. Edit: 38 hours isn't a big deal because I go through handheld games like a loving meth addict. But that's because I have a job where I get to play handheld games at work and put in about a good 3 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Hmmmm, other RPGs I might compare it too? Nothing really comes to mind off the top of my head. The graphics remind me of Ys: Oath in Felghana somewhat, but as far as the battle system itself is concerned, I can't make any comparisons as I can't think of any. But I haven't played every JRPG in existence either, so it certainly could share with some game.

Basically, this is how it goes. Enemies are visible on a field, if you walk into them head on, normal fight. You attack them from behind, sneak attack and all your party goes first with some extra turns usually thrown in. Hit from behind? Ambush and at that point even normal enemies can gently caress your poo poo up.

When in battles you get shown a turn list, and the cool thing is there's a lot to do that can affect it. This is important because there's bonuses that come in the order. Sometimes criticals, strength up, HP restores, MP up, CP up. Various stuff. But the thing is, monsters also get these bonuses as well if it lands on their turn. It makes things very challenging sometimes because if a monster lands a well timed critical attack, it can wreck your poo poo up.

Trails is the Sky isn't a AAA masterpiece. But it's a very solid game with a good story behind it, and lots to do, a lot of various quests that can eat up time, and a really good battle system that makes it worthwhile. It also has a very unique magic system that lets you customize your characters somewhat and change their stats a lot. For example, Fire magic is linked to attack up, which can raise your Attack stat +5% but will lower defence 5%. There's also great stuff like a magic piece that blocks your presence to enemies to make it a lot easier to get sneak attacks (I use it all the time).

If you simply want a good, well done JRPG to play, Trails in the Sky is definitely worth a shot. I really like it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cake Attack posted:

That sounds pretty great. I've been on the fence about buying it for a while, but after reading this I think I'll buy it as soon as the PSN network comes back up.

You should. It's a well done game. I should also mention. The battle system is unique in that battles are fought on a pretty big grid. You have the turn system like I mentioned, and when it's your characters turn, you have to actually be able to move up to the enemy. So you have a move stat as well (which can be altered by slapping some magic on it when you have the chance) and some characters have various ways around it. For example. Your two main that you'll normally be using, 1 uses a Staff that has a bit of reach to it so you don't have to be adjacent to them, while the other needs to be right up next to an enemy. Further in game you'll get characters that can use guns and obviously they don't need to move a whole lot, and then you can even affect their range so that they only ever need to move a step or 2 to launch an attack.

Also, I should point out. The very beginning of the game is a little bit boring plot wise as it's all setting stuff up and is showing you the ropes. But by the time you get to the end of the game pretty much everything your doing is main plot related and is very interesting. There as some cliche's that pop up during the story, but I never found them terrible. Just kinda "Oh, I've seen this done before" type stuff.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ragequit posted:

Oh cool a jrpg/wrpg debate.

Anyway, thanks for the mini review of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky earlier. I am having a lot of fun with it. It's interesting to have a grid battlefield where it's not obvious how far you are from something like in FFT.

You're welcome. Also if you end up liking the game, XSEED has also confirmed they're going to be bringing out the next Trails in the Sky game as well. It just doesn't have a release date yet. I can't remember exactly but I think they said that the second game either had 2 times or 4 times the amount of text the first game did so the translation is taking a lot longer.

Also. a small tip. After ANYTHING story related, check for jobs. As some of the jobs are time based and you could lose the opportunity to do one if you wait too long.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

2-4 times more? :eek: But the first game was already a huge task to translate. I think it's gonna be quite a wait.

I looked around and yeah. The sequel has 3 million japanese character script in it while the first had 1.5. It's gonna be a wait.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ineffiable posted:

How do you guys feel about strategy guides for RPGs?

They're the only time I'll actually buy guides.

I saw a guide for loving Guitar Hero of all things once. Why the gently caress would you need a guide for that?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Wendell posted:

I wanted PSN due to my fear of PSP load times, but that proved entirely unfounded.

Yeah, I could have mentioned that I guess. The load times in this game are nothing at all.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

casual poster posted:

How do you guys find the time to play through your RPG's? Ever since I got a fulltime job, girlfriend and started working out my gaming time (for rpg's atleast) has gone down to about a hour a day.
How do you guys keep up with it?

For console games? It takes time. A LOT of time

But Handheld games? I'm lucky enough to have a fullltime job where for a good 3 hours is used for gaming time. So it's like 15 hours a week I can put into them, and that's IF I decide not to play my handheld games at home.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

That's what goons are for. Odds are that, no matter the game, someone on the forums has already beaten it and can tell you if it's worth slogging through.

But then you really got to hope that everyone is being superduper serious when they say Hyperdimension Neptunia is worth every penny they paid for it. :v:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Meme Emulator posted:

Anyway, whats good on the PSP? I picked one up a few months ago and with the store on the verge of coming back I might download a few games. Not really looking for a strategy rpg, more looking for jrpg kinda games.

Pick up Heroes of Legend: Trails in the Sky. It's a great game!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

casual poster posted:

Also, the translation for Soma Bringer has been done for sometime, give that a look. Great action battle system and brilliant graphics from Level 5.

Soma Bringer was by Monolith Soft. Which is why we never got it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Filthy Monkey posted:

Heck, it was practically worth playing through the game just to see all of the nicely done environments. I'll hand it to the tri-ace dudes, they know how to make some nice looking games. I made a quick video of the opening village to show what it looks like in an emulator, at high resolution and high quality. If any gamecube game deserves high-res emulation, Baten Kaitos is it. This is with all of the emulator settings cranked up, and fraps recording at 1600x1200. Before anybody asks, yes, I do actually own the disks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVfEnLYpjkw

Baten Kaitos wasn't Tri-Ace. It was made by Monolith Soft and Tri-Crescendo.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

S-Alpha posted:

Whoops, derp, I managed to edit out my list of things I had played and was looking for something similar to, and forgot to put it back in. The extra plot thing is just a side request at this point, I guess.

-Xenogears/saga
-Every translated SaGa game ever.
-Suikoden
-Similarly every FF.
-Mana Khemia 1/2
-Ar Tonelico 1/2/3.

To be honest, the more obscure it is, the better. I've played a lot of crap.

Do you own a PSP? Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is pretty good and has tons of story to it. There's a good bit of battling as well though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

amaranthine posted:

I cannot get over how much better Star Ocean 4 would be if they had just removed the story/characters entirely

Fixed that for you

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fumaofthelake posted:

Knowing that, is there any real reason for me to get Jeanne D'arc? I've heard its a pretty good little game, but does it have anything that'll really grab me enough to take my attention away from those other srpgs?

Eh, it's a somewhat fun game. But it's definitely not better than the other SRPG's you mentioned. Buy it and play it when you have nothing else on your plate.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Haven`t played Neir but I did play RoF.

Resonance of Fate is only incredibly long (I put 80 hours into it) if you decide to do everything. I`m talking getting a plat (or all achievements) in the game.

If you just want to play and beat the game and that`s it. You can probably do it in half that time. Perhaps a bit more.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lone Rogue posted:

What were the good RPGs for the Wii?

Or hell, has anyone played every RPG on the Wii and can give a quick review? There's only like 12 for what I figure.

Well, excluding Fire Embling as it's a SRPG these are the only other RPG's I've played for the Wii

Arc Rise Fantasia - Good battle system. Graphics aren't too great. Okay story. Good music. lovely lovely VOICE ACTING. Seriously. Turn the voice acting off, it's loving terrible. But the game overall is pretty fun and the bosses are challenging as well.

Fragile Dreams - Action RPG. Has the shittiest battle system ever. Every fight including boss battles are a joke. However, the story itself is a pretty neat idea and if you play the game you'll want to play it for the atmosphere. The game is set in a post apocalyptic world where very few humans exist and you play a boy named Seto who just wants to find someone else. Very great musical track to it and there's some great touching moments to the game as well. But yeah, you'll have to bear with one of the shittiest combat systems ever.

EDIT: I can't wait till Xenoblade finally comes out so I can import that and finally have a great RPG on the Wii.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I'm playing Dragon Quest VI and I've gotten to be able to pick jobs for my characters. But I'm confused, why are some of my characters simply not getting credit for battles fought? I put my main character as warrior class, and Carver as martial artist, and by the time I've had people finish their 2nd jobs Carver is still stuck on 3rd level Martial Artist and the Hero is still 4th level Warrior. I switched the Hero to Martial Artist and he seems to be gaining the job requirements no problem now, but I switched Carver to sage (or mage, can't remember. It's the attack magic class) and I still think he's stuck for some reason.

Can anybody explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

If you have characters higher level than the others (which Carver/the Hero probably are at first), they won't gain XP if you fight weaker creatures.

If it's not that to blame, no goddamn idea.

They are slightly a higher level. But I'm not fighting weak creatures, at least I think I'm not. I just finished a dungeon where some fights would drop a good 500 exp a fight and I'd have to heal constantly and the same poo poo happened.

Oh well. I kinda wish the game would explain why something like this would happen. But it's not a big deal. They do enough damage as it is.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Since I can't find a Xenoblade thread and I don't think the Wii thread has enough readers, I'll bring this up here as well:

People are getting frustrated by Nintendo's complete lack of, well, anything to say about The Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade, so some people are organizing a mass snail mail protest thing to hopefully get Nintendo's notice and make them realize they're pissing away money by not releasing these games here.

I'm gonna pen up and send my letter soonish, just need to get an envelope and figure out postage, but what this campaign really needs is a lot of people, sending a lot of (polite) letters, asking for these games.

If you're feeling like helping out/pissed off that NoA's acting like douches/want to play an actual RPG on your Wii and don't want to resort of replaying GC RPG's again, read up on the details here:

http://www.destructoid.com/letter-writing-campaign-for-last-story-pandora-s-tower-204505.phtml

If you honestly don't give a poo poo, move along and stay classy by keeping your pessimistic comments short and hopefully giggle-worthy.

I would love to do this. But considering I can't send/receive mail right now thanks to Canada Post. Not going to happen. :(

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So. Playing Dragon Quest VI, and well. Is the last boss supposed to be wrecking my poo poo by the third form or am I under-leveled? I can easily get past the first 2 forms but when the final one hits he just levels my party in 4-5 turns. I've got everyone level 40-42.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Thanks to those who gave me suggestions for Dragon Quest VI. Had to grind a bit. But I beat the boss and am now done with the game.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rinkles posted:

Well hopefully XSEED doesn't go bankrupt before they have the chance to release it. I hope the Falcom deal worked out for them, however risky it may have seemed.

I think XSEED is in pretty good shape. They seem to be pretty careful about which games they do and don't pick up. If they weren't they probably would have picked up Retro Game Challenge 2 just to please fans.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait, is the VA actually worthwhile in BK:Origins?

Cause I might give it a shot if true.

It's not great voice acting, but it's definitely listenable and doesn't do the awful effects that the original game did.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SpaceDrake posted:

XSEED has said they'll bring over the sequel and the pseudo-expansion-pack (voice for both was recorded alongside Trails in the Sky), so hopefully we will. It's more a question of what format they'll come over as, since it's possible UMD production could cease by the end of the year. I've got The Hope, though, since XSEED seems pretty invested in the project.

What, really? That just seems like a punch in the face to publishers that are sticking to releasing games on the PSP.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think it's probably too late to start a Trails thread now. But once the second game has some kind of solid release date behind it, I'd be up for making a thread for it. I really liked the game and definitely plan on getting the sequel and playing it day 1.

Edit:

Can anyone recommend a site to use where I can pre-order Xenoblade from? Last time I ordered a game I used DVD.co.uk, but they only offer regular shipping, and I actually want to use something faster as if I get it a couple days after release, I will probably still be on holidays. So sooner the better.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 22, 2011

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lone Rogue posted:

Did anyone here get Baten Kaitos: Origins?

Yeah. But I played it a long time ago. What do you wanna know?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lone Rogue posted:

Well I enjoyed the original and unless I sold it when I sold 75 per cent of my movies and games, I was planning to try it out again. But since Origins is a prequel, I wanted to pick it up and play it first. Go Origins first, original second.

I'm someone who loved the original. Will I love the prequel?

I loved the original and loved the prequel as well. It changes up the battle system a lot, but I thought it was for the better. If you liked the first game, definitely give Origins a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HondaCivet posted:

So the first Persona is pretty bad right, in spite of the remake?

Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's not the worst thing I've played by a long shot. But the game needed an overhaul instead of minor fixes.