Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MeinGott posted:

I have always wanted to play the Final Fantasy games but never do since I will play an RPG then put it on hold for a while and pick it back up. Is there a specific FF I can do this with and not be: "Duhh what the gently caress was I doing?", or does that really not matter?

E: spelling is so hard :(

6 for the SNES/GBA should be fine. You're fairly limited in where you can go until the World of Ruin, at which point you can do whatever the hell you want and go right to the final boss if you so desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

Are there any RPGs with a realistic modern urban setting? I'm basically looking for Grand Theft Auto: The RPG (in terms of setting, not necessarily theme or tone).

Parasite Eve for the PS1. Depending on how you mean realistic, Resonance of Fate for the PS3/360, but that's sort of a mix of modern and post-apocalyptic fantasy stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

By "realistic" I mean, like, realistic. Not horror or fantasy or sci-fi or anything.

Well, the closest I can think of then is Alpha Protocol. It's probably not really what you're thinking of, but I seriously can't think of another RPG/RPG-like game set in modern day that doesn't have sci-fi, fantasy or horror elements to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

Are there any other flat 2D action RPGs like Odin Sphere?

I'm 2 hours in, and I'm wondering if the combat gets any deeper.

The combat does not. Princess Crown and Muramasa are both much better games from the same developer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

I mentioned it once already but nobody bit, has anyone played Atelier Rorona? I was considering starting a megathread for it but I really know nothing about the game.

I think it's kind of an aquired taste and I think it's a bit mired down in holdover RPG mechanics. It may be because I played Recettear shortly beforehand that I came away feeling a bit 'meh' about it. I can see it being something you enjoy if you like wacky anime characters and synthesis stuff, even if the RPG combats are pretty meh. It's very much about the character interaction and synthesis stuff. The combat is so simplified I'm not sure why they bothered including it. I really hated the characters though, so it wasn't a very pleasant experience for me.

I feel really really bad for anyone playing it on a SD TV, as a side note.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 3, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ankle-biter posted:

It just came out, yeah. It's #1 in my gamefly queue. It's getting a lot of bad ratings. Only at a 6.4 :(

It's really the kind of game that lives or dies on its characters. It's kinda hard to say if you'll really enjoy it, but I just know that man did I dislike most of the cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

casual poster posted:

Wow i cannot play this game. First off I have no idea what I'm doing, second off I can't even read anything in the menu, the font is too drat small.

What's giving you trouble?

Sadly, the font is indeed a gigantic and epic pile of poo poo, so nothing I can answer will help you there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

casual poster posted:

Really whats giving me trouble is where I get my ingredients. I know I have to get them in the woods somewhere, but my party consists of two people who suck at giving damage. Should I level them up a little bit? Also the whole synthesis thing is still a mystery to me. If I squint really hard I can kind of make out the abilities of each item, but I'm still not sure how exactly it works. I just got my first assignment from the castle and they want me to make them some coal or something, but I have no idea where to get the recipe for that at.

If you go to the restaurant, you can recruit the dude with red hair to your party. Amongst other things, he gets a healing spell which makes your life a lot easier and you should be able to deal with enemies much quicker. Also, you should have an overabundance of Uni. Have Rorona throw them for massive damage. You can get more pretty easy, so don't be afraid to use items.

The synthesis stuff will be explained more in tutorials later. For now, just worry about making the base item, not the effects

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

Speaking of Wild Arms, anyone have tips for me about to start out in Wild Arms 3? I bought it when it first came out and played it a bit but I remember having a lot of trouble/not getting far/giving up. I don't have anything to play at the moment and figure I'll start a new save after work today.

Not sure why I had trouble with it. I do remember really liking the wild west setting and atmosphere though.

I'm not entirely sure what gave you trouble, but I wouldn't stress about it. The game is generally pretty forgiving. I'm sure if you play it this time, you'll do fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sexual rickshaw posted:

I'm in the mood for a new RPG and I've knocked my choices down to two: Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga and Fallout: New Vegas. Now, I know one's an Euro-RPG and the other is American and I know what I'm getting into for both, but does Divinity II's other areas stay fairly large or is the area that's featured in the demo the largest you'll find? And is the content in Flames of Vengeance comparable to the main campaign?

I did some reading up on FO:NV earlier today and it looks like it's a much bigger game than FO3, content-wise. Is this really the case? Is the game any harder than FO3 (with the exception of Hardcore mode)? Is the PC version glitcher than the PC version of 3?

Get New Vegas. It's incredibly good. It is glitchy, but the quality is enough that you can overlook it. It has a ridiculous amount of content too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The PSP re-release of VP is kind of crappy.

The original Japanese release had problems that were fixed in the US release, but the PSP version is based off the Japanese version. It's still a good game but it's really a lovely port. Also the CGI cutscenes are really glaringly out of place with the style of the rest of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

How's the voice acting?

It's exactly the same from what I recall, aside from some new dialogue for the CGI scenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KariOhki posted:

I got to right before chapter 3 back when the game came out, and learned that there were still new mechanics to learn, and stopped playing. Plus the guide I was using was rewritten and changed a lot of strategies for parts I had already been through, like with what characters to pick from those dead bodies. I never really liked the battle system, it was such a bitch to get the correct item drops. Loved the first and the DS SRPG, though.

You really don't need item drops, and if you really want them, there are very specific and easy ways to get them. I must imagine the FAQs you were using were pretty bad if they didn't give you those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

casual poster posted:

I was under the impression that Tierkreis was a pretty good game with a nice story, was I wrong?

Nah. It was pretty terrible and the story was really dumb. I can't think of anything positive to say about it.

I'm hesitant about a new Suikoden since they dissolved the team but... a new Suikoden is a new Suikdoen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

'A new Suikoden is a new Suikoden' is going to become a pejorative if they keep churning out butter poo poo like Tierkeis. Sort of like Silent Hill has become.

That said if they get the old team together then maybe it'll be alright, but goddamn I want Suikosix on my HD console.

I'm not saying it's an assured good thing but I also am happy the franchise isn't completely dead yet. I suppose we'll see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

iastudent posted:

As far as SRPGs go, how is Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars? I saw a cheap copy at Goodwill the other day and I haven't played a GBA game in awhile.

Fist of Mars is a copy of a popular Japanese SRPG series called "Super Robot Wars." However, it is very simplified. Where as SRW uses various spells and abilities to alter the outcome of combat, FoM uses a really awful action-based system where you either have to move a cursor around to dodge enemy crosshairs or move it around to highlight an enemy. The end result is that combat is incredibly boring because it is nearly impossible to get hit and nearly impossible to miss. You just send your robots forward and they slaughter everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brace posted:

I've been kind of interested in Deus Ex : HR because of a lack of things to play recently, what can it be related to? I've never played the original one, but have played a fair share of RPGs in the past.

It's kind of an odd blend of FPS, RPG and stealth game. I guess the closest recent game you could compare it to would be Alpha Protocol but most of Alpha Protocol is a lot more simple and straightforward. (Aside from the dialogue options which are vastly more complex then Deus Ex could ever get.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I'm on (I think) chapter 11 or just starting chapter 11 in FF13, how long will it take to beat the game if I ignore stuff like the sidequests until later?

Like, in hours?

I'd say about 5 or so? If you just ignore every sidequest and truck right on through, that sounds about right. Maybe a bit long just due to the volume of cutscenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Death By Yogurt posted:

I liked the first 3 Star Ocean games despite their flaws so I looked up some Youtube videos to get a preview of Star Ocean 4. In one video, the elf guy ends up calling the 7 year old looking girl a little baby. Then in another cutscene, they end up accidentally kissing and there's suggested romantic tension between them. :psyduck:

I decided to just replay 3 instead and never touch 4.

You made the right choice. (Well, aside from replaying 3, but...)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Douche Bag posted:

Can I get some opinions on Eternal Sonata? I need a current gen RPG and it seems like all the good ones are on PS3 or Wii. Neither of which I own.

Kinda pretty, very loving dull, incoherent and uninteresting story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The only reason I can't recommend WA2 is because of its schizophrenic translation that makes it amazing, terrible, and full of nonsensical trial-and-error puzzles because the clues literally do not make any sense in the English language whatsoever. Or the puzzle near the end of the game about gods and the days of the week, except the translation was loving retarded and kept getting their words wrong or pulled the right god from the wrong pantheon. ODIN'S DAY was the fourth button you had to press (thor's day) and Day of Zeus (saturn's day) was the sixth.

God, that loving puzzle. I spent hours upon hours there, confused as hell as to why I wasn't solving it when I knew I had the right answer. I eventually looked at a guide in the book store because of that and was unreasonably angry when I found out the solution.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, the story was actually pretty interesting and clever. I mean, it had its... y'know, its moments, but overall, it was a new and different thing in a good way. If there's one game that deserves a fan retranslation, gently caress the twentieth fanslation of FF6 or whatever other game we have dozens of already, it's WA2.

It's really weird to me that there haven't been more fan retranslations of PSX games. I mean... well, loving Final Fantasy VII has never gotten a fan retranslation. You'd think at least that would but nope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

You should really play Suikoden 1 and 2 first. At least Suikoden 2. A bunch of characters in 5 are from 1/2 and they're better games anyway. 1 is a little clunky but more than playable, 2 is still a masterpiece of an RPG. They're short (for PSX JRPGs) and you can play them in an emulator. You have no excuse.

5 is a prequel tho. So it's worth waiting just because you can be surprised about some things a S2 player wouldn't be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They were talking about gameplay style. We don't know jack poo poo about the plot or characters yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Pretty much this. Hell, the series started out as a love letter to Go Nagai's horror manga--in other words lots of pointless pulpy, brutal violence and gore. It's not meant to be a pinnacle of story and never has been. They're great because running around killing gods with a party of other gods is both absurd and awesome at the same time.

Some hardcore fans of the series will debate this but by and large they are not sane. (Seriously, check out the cesspits that are the SMT LPs here if you want to gaze into that abyss)

Yeah, I play the SMT games for the gameplay and occasionally for some fun characters. Rarely for the story. Sometimes the story has interesting ideas but like most video game stories they're at best pulp. I think P2/P3 are the closest to being "good" but even then they're pulp.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 7, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

iastudent posted:

I've been curious about something for awhile. Why hasn't Square-Enix (or any other long-standing JRPG dev, for that matter) tossed a bunch of their older titles or remakes like those of the older Final Fantasy games, which have been ported to pretty much anything you can think of at this point, onto PC?

I know portable systems have been the aim of RPG devs for awhile now but I'd have to imagine bringing some stuff onto PC, either in some kind of emulator or taking a portable/console remake and adjusting things to make it run on PC, and tossing it upon a digital distribution service like Steam would get people interested in them.

PCs are not a big thing in Japan. I imagine it isn't usually considered because of that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 7, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

softcorps posted:

Imagine System Shock 1/2 with action style of Mass Effect

So, Dead Space?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Did Marle and Crono get married at the end of SNES CT or did they just decide they needed to add a DBZ episode that reinforces gender stereotypes to the PSX release?

That was added to tie in to Chrono Cross. Same reason Lucca finds a baby.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chrono Cross had (at the time) beautiful graphics and a still-fantastic soundtrack. If you need more reason than that for why it got good reviews I donno what to say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh, so Fate/Extra is worth it? I don't care about the franchise at all, is the game reasonable for someone who doesn't?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

The gameplay is pretty good, but the story is what is going to keep you going for the most part is what I've found. I'm not too far into the game yet, but I think it's fun and it's well worth a 30$ price tag (I paid 40$ to get the Collectors Edition and I'm happy with that price still).

Well, when I say I don't care, I mean that I haven't followed the franchise at all and only know a bit about it. Is it accessible enough or is it one of those fan-things where it's better off not bothering?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 12, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

playing the whole game using a guide sort of doesn't sound as much fun though. Is hard mode actually that hard/are there lots of specific things I'd need to do? Could I get away with just noting a few things that need to be done and then play through it without a guide?

Basically:

Look at Lenneth's status screen. There is a Seal rating. Your overall goal is to get this low. This is done by visiting certain places or doing certain things. If you don't want to use a FAQ, just make sure to visit towns and places when you can, even if there isn't a Einherjar there to recruit. Also, try to send up only one Einherjar a chapter since each one you send up has a huge impact on your Seal rating. (+12)

You need to get it down to below 40/about 35 by a certain point in the plot, as well has have seen certain events, to get the best ending. You pretty much can't get your Seal Rating down low enough without seeing those events so don't worry about that.

If you want to make this easy: Do not do any of the above aside from Sending Einherjar Up until Chapter 4. Just collect Einherjar and go to dungeons. Once you reach Chapter 4, start searching for the hidden events in towns/villages. Also, remove Lenneth's Nibelung Ring, which grants +2 to Seal at each Sacred Phase.

If you want to know the events you have to see:

Check the field where Platina died.
Visit Lucian in Gerebellum.
Invade Brahm's castle, choose not to fight.
Invade Lezard Valeth's Castle

In later chapters you have to do the following, but you'll do this just in the normal process of collecting Einherjar.

Recruit Mystina
Recruit Lucian
Send Lucian up before the end of Chapter 6.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 15, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Okay, seems like I can play most of the game as I want and just make sure to do/not do a few specific things here and there so hard mode it is. Thanks. Anything gameplay wise I should know?

The Guts skill is incredibly powerful and worth giving to anyone you can. Doubly so with the Auto Item/Union Plume skill.

Generally it is worthwhile to keep anything that belongs to Odin that looks fun to you. As long as you send up good Einherjar and occasionally an item or two, you really do not have to worry about ticking off Odin or missing out on good "reward" items for your high score.

There are certain items you can buy which compensate for a character's personality weaknesses. If you're requested to send a Einherjar who can swim, feel free to toss on a few accessories which claim they increase one's swimming prowess to improve your score.

You don't need a party member in your party to level them up. Save your bonus EXP and you can send a properly leveled Einherjar up to Valhalla without ever needing them in your party. Make sure to give them good equipment too.

Dungeons in Hard Mode contain Flame Jewels. Try to find as many as you can. They allow you to unlock extra stuff in the game's post-game dungeon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My big question here: As someone who enjoys nonviolent solutions to problems in RPGs, how friendly in Skyrim to that? The speech and dialogue options seem fairly limited and most of the "this is awesome" stuff seems to boil down to killin' or stealin'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanks for the answers. :smith:

I really loved New Vegas primarily because I could take alternate solutions to so many quests and I guess I was holding out hope that it might just be something that people were overlooking due to the fun of sending guys flying into orbit with magical shouts. Ah well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Does the FF13-2 Asian version come with both English subs and Japanese voice track? I know FF13 International; Asian version does.

[e]Er, I misread the press release. It definitely does - nevermind.

I'd double check to be sure. They said something similar about FFXIII and it turned out to be false.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

I just picked up a copy of Infinite Space, anything I should know beforehand???

When you get fighters, they are hilariously and cartoonishly broken. Abuse the hell out of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

Yeah, I don't see anything else happening here. Releasing it in April is so loving far away that the fervor for it will be long dead too. A beautiful self fulfilling prophecy.

There isn't really an answer here that isn't "release it the same time as the PAL one" to be honest. I said this in the Xenoblade thread, but releasing it any time this holiday season would have been a death sentence. There are other great and distinctive games which bombed simply because there was *so much poo poo* this holiday season. Even Nintendo had some pretty big punches in the form of Zelda and Mario.

The same goes for early next year. You've got Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Mass Effect 3 overshadowing everything just for RPGs, let alone stuff like Soul Calibur or whatever. Xenoblade is almost certainly a better game then FFXIII-2 but the brand recognition is completely skewed in the latter's favor. If you don't want the game to just get ignored, you've got to release it at a time frame when its potential audience is likely looking for something to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah like, back in august with the PAL version.

Yeah, well, it's pretty clear that Nintendo didn't actually think it had much interest at that point, and to be honest, it probably didn't. The word of mouth only really spread once the PAL version was out and everyone saw how good it was. It was probably a mistake on their part but they're trying to rectify it and I don't think anyone could have guessed that Xenoblade was be as positively received as it was.

Something similar happened with Demon's Souls if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

That recommend me a JRPG thread got me thinking about Lunar, and I'm curious, which of the 2 good Lunar games do you guys like better?

I think I like Lunar 2 better. I liked the characters better, the story better, I think it's even a longer game. But it's been so long since I played them I barely remember.

Lunar 2 is pretty much inarguibly the best of the lot. Shame about the remake.