Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Colonel posted:

my favorite part of fate is the spinoff about being a lesbian who amasses an army of hosed up lesbian wife queens in a magical mmo on the moon. do not look to me for type-moon hate

Which spinoff is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

what are some good or not exactly good but interesting 3DS rpgs that aren't the usual Radiant Historia and SMT recs?

The Alliance Alive
Various Dragon Quests

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I wish the drat Tales of Destiny remake would get an English release. :negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I played Legend of Dragoon at release and thought it was pretty bad, especially compared to like, the large amount of other, better JRPGs available on the PS1 at the time.

Nowadays all I can really remember about it is the one woman in your party using her period blood to attack enemies and eventually you reach a point in the game where it seems like every other boss fight punishes you for using your super form.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I want a Phantom Brave sequel so bad.

Makai Kingdom too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Odd Wilson posted:

Finally picked up and swiftly completed the Cherry Tree High Comedy Club games over the last few days. I've had them in my library unplayed since the weeks before they got delisted, but they were always dimly on my radar. Glad I didn't continue sleeping on them though, they're a fun and charming little time. Even if the second game has no mechanics to speak of, the humor still manages to carry it on equal footing with it's prequel. ...And now I'm sad they're gone. :smith:

Loved the first game, never got around to the second, thought it was weird as hell the third game was some kind of fight club thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Alard posted:

This entire conversation is reminding me of that time some game journalist got really angry or something about Dragon Crown's artwork being the way it was. Really stupid thing to do on their part.

That was Jason Schreier of Kotaku, who basically said if you were attracted to the Sorceress in Dragon's Crown, you were a pedophile. Something about her face being designed to appeal to lolicon fantasies, which like...what?

He then insulted the artist for Dragon's Crown and said he must be an immature teenage boy because of his character designs, which led to a response from the artist:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

when's the mom era

Have you ever played Final Fantasy 13?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I’m suddenly having all these memories of awful X-Play segments making GBS threads on JRPGs/Japan flooding back to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J41ba7qv9rQ

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

god some of the ability names in wild arms 2 were seriously downgraded in translation. one of the last ARMS attacks ashley unlocks is called Blast Em, and the last force skill he unlocks is Full Clip. in jp the names of these abilities are BLASTER GUILTY and FULL FLAT. full flat means what you might expect it to mean but it is also the name of the deuteragonist of the 1980s tomino mecha anime heavy metal l-gaim, who is a 200 year old lesbian managing an all-woman space satellite who's plotting to kill her abusive ex-boyfriend before he can abuse any more women. i have no idea if this was an intentional reference but i'm going to assume it was because it would fit
What the gently caress that sounds awesome as poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/weadhitter/status/1632392383001247747?s=20

Oh.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The worst RPG post-game is the Tower of Druaga from Tales of Destiny.

gently caress that place!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Phantasium posted:

i love the audacity of it

Having to go through the drat place TWICE to get all the treasures inside is just evil. :argh:

EDIT: Also one of the items needed to get inside being missable is foul.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Never played Legend of Dragoon. Is it a good game that holds up today, or is it just one of those games that was neat back in the day and is mostly looked upon fondly due to nostalgia?

It wasn't good at the time and it's not good now and for 20+ years I've wondered why anyone liked it.

Clarste posted:

It's a weird game that wasn't even particularly good back then but we were desperate for RPGs.

No we weren't! The PS1 was a golden era for RPGs!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

in this case, there being a bunch of numbers that are evenly, or very nearly evenly, divisible by 6 or 7 was the giveaway

If you know anything about sports, anyway.

I would have never even thought to think of anything close to that. :psyduck:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I wish Indivisible didn't suck because *man* those character designs deserve a better game.

Did any of the indie crossover characters they announced in the Kickstarter ever end up making it into the game?

Barudak posted:

There isnt a kazoo in the music for Xenoblade 3 and that now makes me sad.

They're vastly improved cause theres way less fiddlyness to them, its just they kept slipping in more and more and more mechanisms to progress character growth and from where I started to now feels like a lil comedy bit of "well actually there is one more thing".

This is how I felt playing Tales of Berseria and part of why I burnt out before finishing the game.

I got to a point where I was just like 'please, stop adding new mechanics, I beg you...'

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Willo567 posted:

One other question - why is FF8 so hated besides people not liking Squall

There's a lot of front-loaded tutorials, the game systems feel really bad until you understand how to break the game and then that kind of takes any illusion of challenge out of it, the story and the characters are pretty meh other than a few standouts, it had to follow-up FF7 which *anything* that tried to follow that up was going to end up looked down on.

Amazing OST though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Also Spoony's lovely series on the game made it seem way way worse than it really is and a lot of people latched hard onto that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

In the times since, I have gone through FF8 by proxy at least 3 times. Hyperbolic Game Chamber (RIP) did an excellent episode, No One Can Know About This and Retrograde Amnesia did whole audio only lets plays. Those were highly entertaining podcasts, but none of the three left me especially interested in experiencing FF8 for myself.

The best FF8 playthrough is still Woolie and Liam's trip through the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZJB-ylRWiI

(They edited out all the un-important parts so they breeze through in a nice easy forty-five minutes.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I quite enjoyed the Myst novels when I was younger. I should go back and read them again and see how they hold up.

RareAcumen posted:

Making a The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya podcast and starting an entirely new podcast each episode of Endless Eight

Oh man, keeping the same / very similar scripts for each episode would be a hell of a gag.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Chained Echoes rules because the moon is canonically a giant owl which destroys any airships that fly too high.

loving SOLD.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

They'll never bring it back for the same reason the costume got removed, you know.

...what reason is that?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Taking a break from Zelda to finally start Chained Echoes.

Anything I should know before I dive in?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Just got to the crystal tutorial in Chained Echoes.

Y’all were right. I can already tell this is a lot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

More like "Endless 8" am i right hahaha

i havent seen haruhi

KYON-KUN, DENWA~!

:negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Both Monster Sanctuary and Casette Beasts also have neat randomizers built in which adds a lot of value for replaying them.

Honesty my biggest complaint with Temtem isn't just the hardcore aspect but that I think it has absurdly crap monster design, which is something a lot of Poke-alikes struggle to get right. For all that people complain about different gens of Pokemon they do a way better job of making designs that work and too many clones fall into the category of looking like Legally Distinct From Charmander or Generic Blob.

My biggest complaints with most Pokemon-esque games are that either the monster designs suck or the combat is awful. I feel like it's very rare to find a game that can nail both aspects.

I've been playing Cassette Beasts over the past week or so and goddamn if it doesn't nail both parts. Genuinely the first Poke-alike I feel like I can recommend to people without having to tack on some kind of caveat.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Grandia II owns and has the best default battle music of any RPG ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-KYgSsc_Y

Seriously this poo poo owns bones and would be a boss battle theme in any other game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm done with Cassette Beasts until the DLC drops, so I'm *finally* taking the plunge and starting Dragon Quest XI.

Anything I should be aware of before I jump in?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

but what, you're telling me Nintendo and Microsoft were cool with it? what's going on around here

It's fun reminding people that the PS2 version of BMX XXX had censored nudity while the Gamecube version did not.

Sony is really loving weird about censorship sometimes compared to Nintendo and Microsoft.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

Just played the first mission in catboy tactics. Initial impressions are mixed. They are clearly building on the Mercenaries foundation, and I am a bit impressed at how they've been able to move from the pixels to 3d models so gracefully, and add some more interesting elements/choices deploying your war party. On the other hand, the tutorializing is awful. They are just throwing page after page of dry instruction manual for you to click through, and (I picked the dog side, since the other one said it was going to have challenging fights) you are getting handed a party of four with loads of abilities. If you haven't played Mercenaries and/or something like FFT beforehand, I expect that it would be pretty overwhelming.

I'm playing through on the cat side and I've yet to see any of those challenging fights.

Goddamn though characters have way too many abilities once you get them built up enough, don't they? Each character getting three classes worth of abilities is kind of insane.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

Yeah, having like 30 abilities to pick from is kind of overwhelming. Summoners have like 10 different attack spells with different AoEs, elemental types and riders, then you throw Alchemist and your dogboy sage stuff in and it's impossible to remember all your options at once.

I'm wrapping up my first Cross Tails campaign at about 20 hours played, and your abilities seem to explode faster than the opposition's. It was cool running into necromancers with 100% physical resist and a champion with 100% chance revive on death thanks to duel wielding holy artifact swords (which I looted after the fight), but at that point you have a party of 8, and you have lots of ways to reduce resistances and bypass abilities like Guts and Counterattack. I think Cross Tails peaked at the midgame. I am tempted to do the second campaign without grinding up a bunch of different jobs on each character, and seeing if it that leads to a different experience.

Overall, I had a better time with Fell Seal, but I am impressed that they managed to pack 4 different (presumably) 20 hour campaigns into this.

Update: I've finally found one of the challenging cat maps.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

when are they gonna port steambot chronicles

A relaxing non-linear adventure!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Star Ocean 2 R is trolling me.

I'm doing the stupid cooking battle minigame because I need organic vegetables to finish a guild quest. The problem is uh, it's ONLY giving me the seafood and slime battles, I'm not seeing any of the other ones.

It's been forever since I've played the original game, is there something I'm missing here?

EDIT: I've spent hours doing this stupid minigame and OF COURSE the moment I bitch about it, I get vegetables as the battle. gently caress's sake.

EDIT^2: And I hosed up and lost so no organic veggies for me. I hate this.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 24, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

How the gently caress does that minigame work, anyways?

Badly. :v:

Hey I finally fuckin' got another goddamn vegetable battle to show up and squeaked out the win just in time too because my Switch was about to go to sleep. I went from a full battery to dead doing just that stupid minigame trying to get the stupid organic vegetables.

On the plus side I got enough points doing it to get Ashton's ultimate weapon so that's nice at least.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I think FFIX's sales are a product of bad timing. I don't think VIII had much to do with it, it was all just the PS1 being on the way out and the PS2 being on the way in.

Which is part of why Persona 4 baffles me. I've always heard FFIX's relative lack of success is the fault of a changing of the guard in consoles. But Persona 4 came out around the same time as MGS4 on the PS3. It was about two years after the release of the 360. I guess the PS2 was jus such a beast it maybe hung on longer than was typical for consoles of that time? Not saying P4 did FF sales numbers, just that if a game being untimely effects its popularity, P4 should have vanished into obscurity with its late, late release on the previous gen of consoles.

In addition to what’s already been said, Giant Bomb’s Endurance Run of the game did a lot to get eyes on the franchise. I would suspect that played a major role in the game’s success.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I started playing Astlibra and this first boss is stomping my rear end pretty hard.

I'm whacking it as much as I can with my hammer and using the fire dragon possession to get in damage defensively. Am I missing something? I feel like I'm doing no damage at all.

EDIT: And as per tradition, the moment I bitch about it online I manage to figure it out.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I would pay an absolutely unreasonable amount of money for Like A Dragon: Kamen Rider W.

Just set it in Fuuto and you go around having weird sidequests that inevitably end up with someone turning into a goofy monster you beat up, you can unlock different forms and swap them in battle, it can go from gritty and hardboiled to goofy on a whim.

I want you to know that I now dislike you for putting this idea in my head, because this would be cool as poo poo and the best way to do a W game and I'm legit getting upset it's never going to happen. :argh: