Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any turn based rpgs on the PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lemur Crisis posted:

Dragon Quest IX is what first comes to mind for me when you say "charming RPG". As long as you like puns a lot (like, really a lot).

You'll love DQ8 then, because the puns are really bad in 9.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Speaking of which, Blue Footed Booby, the new Space Marines game was gonna be an TPS actionrpg

but instead, they did away with all the customizing they planned on from the start and said "it would deter from what they're trying to make".

But if it's just a straight up TPS then it's simply going to be a Gears of War clone. Didn't they learn anything from DOW2 that the best loving part was customizing your characters? How else can you be placed in the shoes of a space marine, where each individual, each chapter is unique from each other and not be able to customize everything about yourself?

It's pretty stupid and I hate it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I remember getting pool of radiance for the mac plus, and not being able to get Unstuffit to work.

Is there a way to play that on the pc, cause I still got the floppy disks.

Also speaking of which, I remember an oldass mac game that was an rpg but uh, it was when I was babysat and one of the older kids played it and I honestly cant recall much about it. I think it was some sort of like rpg game where you could explore and combat was turn based? I think this was like Apple 2 era or something.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Teaches of Peaches posted:

Is there such a thing as a rpg with menu driven combat but without random encounters or grind? I can't really think of any.

Xenosaga series. Visible enemies, no reason to ever grind (though it makes it easier to grind for an hour or two) unless you want the extra bosses and poo poo (which is grind required practically).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

[quote="Dr. Video Games 0031"]
(Don't grind in modern RPGs, don't do it)

I agree, but I also agree with the first and second posts in that thread.

I play rpgs to zone out, not something where I have to concentrate on what I'm doing. Also my 100% completion :spergin:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh my GOD Last Scenario's mini game is loving lovely. Why yes I love the FF9 system of you lose the game oyu lose cards haha YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH TO PLAY

loving DIE

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, i would have liked a better tutorial. I saved and kept trying 10 or 20 times and after about the 5th game I had a better grasp but was in no way able to beat that moustache dude at the start.

Story is cool though. Sad things in a jrpg? Nice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

That's right, people, TSE2's a shitload better than DA2.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to tell you that. Hell, the poo poo I just took has more entertainment value than DA2.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How come it's not possible to wear an antipoison ring with the Ruin Mask in Last Scenario? That's disappointing.

edit: THORVE! Why you gotta blueball me bro? Tell me what happened already you depressed jerk.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 13, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone have a save from Last Scenario from where SPOILERS

Tiamat finds the ark?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I beat that game, and Space Siege is loving garbage

DO YOU WANT TO THROW AWAY YOUR HUMANITY Y/N?

This is their lauded "choice" for the game? A loving binary input? jesus christ

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

I just looked and I've got a save from just before entering the dungeon where that happens. Would that work? If so, post an email or something and I'll send it over.

Yeah that's fine, it's just it's so close to the end and the LPs I was reading they sort of gave up :(

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I havn't played DA2, what is it that pisses you guys off so much about it?

I think the question is what doesn't DA2 do to piss people off

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Are we calling it "camp" now? Ever since Paul Reubens was arrested, I thought "kitsch" was the accepted euphemism.

What do either of these terms even mean?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just want an action rpg with heavy customization and a feeling that my actions make a difference in the world

Is that too much to ask?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PlasticPaddy posted:

So what's the consensus on Blue Dragon? I've been playing nothing but old PSX/PS2 RPGs and I need something current gen and cheap.

Blue Dragon loving owns.

Oldish style of RPG, with autosaves before any bosses, with visible enemies (no random battles), great graphics, great audio, a so-so story, and fun turn based combat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So is Cthulhu Saves the World supposed to be some sort of hipster ironic humor?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hrm...I did like 10 of these sidequests (there's 60 of them? not loving bothering till I get a chocobo to roam around that's for sure) in FF13's chapter 11 but I think I'm ready to move on.

Can I complete them after beating the game? (if I even care that much)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Xenoblade was so good it's ruined all rpgs for me. I keep going "well Xenoblade did this, why couldn't you have done it? :colbert:"
"Why do you keep doing this to me, Xenoblade never treated me this way :cry:"
"gently caress your poo poo, you're a lovely game, I'm going back to Xenoblade :argh:"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Theres a market for rpgs on the pc but it seems like no one bothers. I don't understand :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jesto posted:

For some reason it seems the best RPGs on the PC are developed in flash. See: The Epic Battle Fantasy series, the Mardek series.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/kupo707/epic-battle-fantasy-3
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Pseudolonewolf/mardek-rpg-chapter-3

I want to play an rpg in HD graphics like Vesperia or Lost Odyssey on the PC though. Seriously, some of this poo poo like LO uses the Unreal Engine, what's stopping them? I'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Well, there's always The Last Remnant but it's about as far away from a traditional JRPG as it's possible to get

Not even so much a jrpg, but maybe even just like...any rpg. What have we had in the last few years? DA:O? The Witcher? Arguably ME?....what else? That's loving bioware and CD Project.

And I already have that game btw.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Alpha Protocol, Fallouts 3 and New Vegas, and those are just a few big names. That said, while I definitely won't speak out against those games, sometimes you just want to spike your hair and defeat monsters with the power of FRIENDSHIP™! and swords bigger than yourself.

Right I've played all of those, and even beat NV, but I'm gonna have to agree. I want my animu uguu~ babes in 1080p with AF and anti aliasing :parrot:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a Y's Origin thread?

It looks a lot like the combat in Recettear, is that apt?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Node posted:

I lost my Witcher 1 saves a long time ago (I never expected it to get a sequel.) If I import a save, what decisions have an impact in the Witcher 2? They can be major or minor.

Heart of the flaming rose shows up, you get some swords imported that are useless if you own any dlc whatsoever or get to chapter 1, some people say some things I think, like the dwarf dude acts a certain way kind of.

It's not really important to anything really.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I'm on (I think) chapter 11 or just starting chapter 11 in FF13, how long will it take to beat the game if I ignore stuff like the sidequests until later?

Like, in hours?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

12 hours into Star Ocean on the PS3 and it's already better than FF13.

Bad design choices however:
- go back to your ship to create items
- english voice acting, edge japanese in combat script
- overall script
- restrictive camera
- linear pathways
- 20 item limit
- lovely drop rates
- quests don't auto complete requiring backtracking
- reserve characters don't gain even a portion of the XP main party members get
- lymle
- can't group mobs together in a zone to fight them all at once
- loading after leaving combat
- equipment doesn't show up out of combat, only weapons show in combat and generally only on people like lymle or reime
- skillpoints system is kind of lame
- bosses have fucktons of hp and mobs barely have anything.
- combat isn't responsive enough, after doing a special attack you're locked and can't move for a few seconds
- there are specific frames where you can't hit the mob because their hitbox disappears

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

That's pretty much all you needed to say.

Right, and it still is a better experience than ff13. I think I got more interactivity and exciting things happening that I could actually control out of loving phoenix wright.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

All Star Ocean games start out like that then 30 minutes later you're stuck on a cliché low-tech fantasy world for most of the game. :/

I'm 12 hours in and I really feel at some times it fits that cliche. Elf guy is spock, girl is the nurse/com officer, and edge is...someone else. He's no kirk.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Now that I think about it, the only thing I specifically know about Star Ocean 4 is that Stone Ocean is... distinct. I'd love to check it out myself, but I need to scrounge up a suitably disposable $60 and finish Wild Arms 4 first.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Ocean-Last-International-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J4AM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318815209&sr=8-1 $35 new

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Ocean-Last-Hope-Xbox-360/dp/B001LGFPSY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318815209&sr=8-2 $24 new

360 has a better cover but I feel the ps3 version is better.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well I got past the nappy time scene at least.

The animations generally are pretty good, as are the camera angles and general production of it. At times though the art direction in the design of levels is pretty awful. Lets have doors the same color as everything else whoo.

Kind of wish I could zoom out and move the camera around.

I also have a pipedream that one day I can play these on my PC at a good resolution and aliasing, but that's probably at least 20 years from now, if that. This would be gorgeous on that resolution with texture filtering.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there some theme going on with "handing out power to lesser races makes them terrible" and "Edge trusts everyone by asking if he should trust them or not"?

Cause it certainly happens often enough.

I wish Reime wasn't the stereotypical anime girl.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stelas posted:

I dunno, I found it completely hilarious. I play Star Ocean in part for the deeply terrible plots, and after SO3 I was wondering how they'd be able to top 'the entire universe is a computer game'. So when the ship got sucked into a black hole and thrown back in time and space to reveal that Roswell was the fault of catgirls instead of Greys, followed almost immediately by Edge straight-up blowing the entire (alternate) Earth apart and escaping, presumably back through another black hole, to the present day ALL JUST to build up some decent angst for him, well, that was just fantastic.

I just got past that part and i'm like "wow Edge loving lost his marbles"

Also I think I'm playing this game just for Welch's reactions at this point.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mune posted:

I think the SO series would be great if they cut out all the anime bullshit (and really didn't focus on stories at all, and probably got rid of voice acting) and made the battles have a larger scale (i.e. more enemies).

Regardless, I will still buy every SO game ever made and I will probably still use the 'event skip' feature every single time.

You know what's a better Star Ocean game? Infinite Space.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any way to fix the loving screen tearing on the PC version of The Last Remnant? I have it forced on my CCC but it still happens :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Man I beat SO4 pretty thoroughly (didn't do the secret postgame dungeon, though) and the only thing I recall is the name EDGE MAVERICK and a girly voice going "'kay". What's the deal?

You're recalling the two worst characters. It's okay.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ashekaban posted:

LimaBean was the worst character. She even made the Catgirl look logical and sane.

Who? I kind of think the catgirl is rather amusing, along with the item creation girl but ....

Also why are 90% of the characters women? I don't get it, there's two dudes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Seriously? She looks like a child prostitute.

I mean the script for her is amusing....I wasn't talking about her looks.

RadicalR posted:

Two words: Fan Service. (The guy who made the game wanted to make a dating sim. Company told him no, so he made this game instead.)

That's creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ashekaban posted:

Lymle, The little girl who goes kay?
And there were totally 4, 5 if you could play as Crowe, who is the coolest

Oh lol, I was counting Faize as one of the girls by accident haha.

I only got Bacchus fairly recently