Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Dark Cloud stuff

I love these two games, I've replayed the second one more times than I can remember. The second kind of expands on the first while changing a few things, like less playable party members than the first, making weapons not break permanently when they break, and making fishing much less worth doing. My favorite addition, though, is an invention system, which if you're diligent about it, allows you to make things way before they start showing up in shops or chests. Basically, you go around in the towns or cities you have access to and take pictures of things-- anything from generic things like trees and rocks to location-specific things like glowing mushrooms or gemstones, then you combine three of these "ideas" to make a blueprint for an item, which can then be built out of raw materials. I thought it was pretty cool the first time around when I wasn't using a guide, but then when I replayed with a guide I realized how much amazing gear you can get early using it.

The town-building is a little different, too, in that instead of very specific town parts, like "Macho's House" or whatever you'll just build generic houses of various types (steel, wood, straw) and put whoever you want inside them. This allows for a little more customization of your villages, though you'll still have some specific guidelines you have to meet, like Place 15 Trees or X lives next to Y. This is sort of a good and bad thing, because while I like more customization, the items you want in your village have to be built out of materials which you can either find in dungeons or buy. This ends up taking up a lot of money if you want it to get done quickly.

Even with all my love for the series, for anyone that hasn't played them, be sure to play them in order. After playing DC2 a few times it's really hard to go back to the original. Dark Cloud was one of the first games I bought for the PS2 and going back to it is pretty hard because it's missing a lot of cool stuff and feels slow compared to the second, so I'd really recommend playing them in order so that the first one doesn't feel like a step back. If you only have time for one I'd say to play the second, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

DocFrance posted:

SD3 is a great game and everyone should play it. You've got six characters to choose from for a three-man party, and each character has four different classes to develop them into. Each party plays differently.

The best party is Hawk/Lise/Angela, not because it's particularly useful (no healing urgh), but because Hawk is a fuckin pimp.

The easiest party is probably something like Kevin/Lise/Carlie. Kevin kind of makes the game easy anyways. He's too good.

Another interesting thing about SD3 is that there's three possible final bosses, depending on who your main character is. Kevin and Carlie have the same one, and so do Angela/Duran and Lise/Hawk.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

How do you guys feel about strategy guides for RPGs?

I actually prefer them to online guides in the case of RPGs because the books often have really useful charts in an easy to read way. The biggest recent example of this for me is the Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep guide. In that game you can make new skills and magic and stuff by fusing together two of your old ones and the guide has charts that detail what you can get with every compatible combination in the game. Very useful.

Final Fantasy X's guide covered the stats of all the Blitzball players in the game and without that thing I really don't think I would have had the patience to play that minigame.

Also having maps that aren't ASCII art and are readable is nice.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Now what they should do is have Bradygames or something like that start charging a yearly access fee to .pdfs of all their strategy guides.

Imagine looking up strategy guides from 15 years ago instantly on your phone. This kind of service wouldn't be much bandwidth and I'm sure they've got most, if not, all of their guides uploaded in a format similar to .pdf.

But on the other hand, part of the appeal is having something to physically thumb through and look up stats and charts.

This is actually a really cool idea. The only company I know that regularly puts out PDF versions of their guides is DoubleJump. I saw the PDF version of their Phantom Brave guide, it was nice.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

TheOriginalEd posted:

Nier was a fantastic game. None of the specific portions of it were done amazingly but it more than any other game I can remember is truly a sum of its parts. Everything just comes together so well. Voice acting, story, characterization, the best music I can EVER remember in a videogame. Some good beatem up action to boot. You can tear rear end around the plains on the back of a giant boar then hop off and punch sheep(and get a trophy for it) And theres a great twist in the second playthrough. I dropped 60 on it when it came out and dont regret a second of it. Some people say its grindy but honestly its only as grindy as you want it to be.

This is pretty much how I feel about Nier. It gets grindy if you're going for all the achievements/trophies but for regular play it's not bad at all. I played it on the 360 and it seemed fine, but I didn't do much research on which version was better since the 360 was the only one I could find.

I don't know anything about Alpha Protocol but I can say that Bayonetta is very good. I didn't even dig the sex appeal stuff or find it that funny (I thought it was way overdone) but the gameplay is excellent. Platinum/Clover has made a lot of good games but I really think Bayonetta is their best game yet.

3D Dot Game Heroes is another one that I put a lot of time into. If you like the original Zelda then go for it. The script is great and it's mostly referencing and making fun of other games, but under that the game itself is also really fun. You get less extra items than most Zelda games but you get like 40 different swords that do different things and that more than makes up for it since they're all upgradable.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

FF4 Complete Collection does not pull saves from the original FF4 to Interlude or The After Years. Each game's save data is its own thing and they don't interact with each other. You do unlock artwork and stuff for completing the original FF4 though, so if you're interested in that, you'll want to play it again anyways. I would say to do it for the new graphics and things, but most of the enemies are re-used in The After Years anyways.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

amaranthine posted:

The Last Remnant

I borrowed it from a friend for 360 and really liked it but never got to finish it so I'm waiting for it to go on sale on Steam. How is the PC version different, by the way?

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

Stelas posted:

They fixed everything. Infinitely better loading times, crisper graphics, the leader limit is removed so you can just use all your named characters with no problems, save anywhere, mission DLCs all included, and they fixed the stat system so that you can't permanently gently caress yourself and can much easier just play through the game how you like. The two versions are night and day.

Oh wow, no kidding! And here the only difference I was aware of was the ability to tell your units not to use certain skills. Now I'm just more excited to play it again.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

Fallout New Vegas also makes melee stuff worth using! It's great. And although they are not as prominent as they were in Fallouts 1 and 2, they brought back low intelligence speech options, and I love it for that.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

PlasticPaddy posted:

Probably a stupid question, but can anyone give me some insight on what level I'm supposed to be once I get to the Moon in FF4? I'm in the mid-40's and getting my rear end handed to me by every mob I encounter.

I checked walkthroughs but they didn't really say

There are a lot of sidequests in the underworld that you should do first, I didn't really touch the moon until I got the summons down there and I don't remember what level, but Rosa had Reflect so that could be a way to check I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

Another Last Remnant question: Everyone seems to have one unique stat (For Rush it's Bravery and for Emma it's Love), what do these actually do? I've been looking around online forever and it's like no one has any idea.