Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

SomeChump posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden: One of the best freeware RPGs around in terms of game mechanics and production values, it would still be an entertaining game with a vanilla plot. What makes this special though is the consistently excellent humour. Set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse caused by the incredibly destructive b-ball technique the 'chaos dunk' which destroyed the city of New York, it follows former b-ball star Charles Barkley and his son Hoopz in his quest for redemption and protect his son from the fascist state forces led by collaborator Michael Jordan. It is absolutely ruthless in its parodies of jRPG conventions and internet culture including an underground village of furries, a plastic surgery full of anime cosplayers, unexplained allusions to Christian mythology, save points which rant about the superiority of Japanese videogames (all real, copied from forums) and all presented completely straight faced. It's the best freeware game I've played outside of Cave Story.

I know this is really lame, but could you change the link in your post to one of the two links below? That link killed my dropbox bandwidth for the month and it's only the 2nd. Really sorry man, I appreciate it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6amjzay5fyi08aj
http://sharebee.com/a954a26b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Kathandrion posted:

Are there ANY wrpgs for playstation or super nintendo?

I want to be able to pick the main character's class and I'm looking for something very numbers based, like a dnd game.

I've played pretty much all the classic jrpgs (final fantasies 6-9 and tactics, chrono trigger and cross, etc), and I'm really jonesing for more customization.

This is for me to play on my phone, if that matters.
Check out Dark Law, a JRPG that offers a lot of customization and a pretty cool tactical battle system. You'll need to get the translation patch, but it's a pretty cool game. There's also Dark Lord, its prequel, which is maybe the best NES RPG.

Oh yeah, there was a version of Wizardry 4 and 5 that came out on the Playstation in Japan. It wasn't released here but it's completely in English. It's called New Age of Llylygamyn. Get it just for Wizardry 4, which was one of the coolest and weirdest games ever made ;)

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 17, 2011

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Coolio posted:

Has anyone played Knights of the Chalice? Can you actually beat the spider queen in the cave when you first encounter her or is this one of those games where you randomly get demolished and you have to remember to come back in four hours when you can actually do the fight?
Yeah, you can kill it the first time you fight it. The idea, though, is to explore the rest of the cave before you fight the spider and use the wand you get from the vampire on it. The game is all about hard battles and this is your introduction. Also, it wasn't in the version I played, but apparently there's a dwarf back at the main fort that can heal level drain.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

softcorps posted:

So... I know this is rather random but it is vaguely relevant to the thread. I found this pic off of 4chan after someone there dug it out of their personal archives. Reverse GIS and Tineye don't reveal anything useful and the person who saved the pic has no idea about its origins. It looks like something off a Photoshop Phriday but I can't seem to find anything about it.

The picture's about Barkley, Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden in case anyone hasn't played that.

Ahaha, this is cool. These were made by a guy who called himself Barccoli and were posted in the original Barkley topic on saltw. He made a few others too.

What a guy.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Reno posted:

Can anyone recommend me an RPG that is similar to the SaGa series?

I liked the Battle and Level Up system of those games, as well as the open endedness that allowed me to explore to my hearts content whenever I wanted more or less.

Yeah, there are a couple games like that - and they were all made by Akitoshi Kawazu, the director of the SaGa games. If you're interested in the mechanics of the SaGa series, you can go as far back as Final Fantasy 2, which Kawazu designed, to see their earliest incarnation in characters gaining stats based on the actions they take during combat. Legend of Mana is another open-ended, non-linear game that focuses on exploration, and although it has his signature obtuse mechanics, they're not as convoluted or mysterious as the SaGa games.

The game you're looking for though is Last Remnant. It is pretty much a SaGa game in all regards except the name. It has an incredibly bad story and the characters are awful, but the mechanics and ideas behind the game are very fun and interesting. Actually, maybe they're not always fun, but they're definitely bizarre and impenetrable. The game has a lot of problems, but it's got a lot of redeeming things too and it does a lot of things that could probably revolutionize the genre if they're taken further or refined. I kind of feel like the game is a bad game wrapped up in a good game wrapped up in a completely different bad game. I don't know if that makes sense, but yeah, you should try Last Remnant.

Don't read FAQs or wikis or anything btw!!

But yeah, I think Kawazu is one of the best people to ever make games and the project I'm working on is basically a huge love letter to him. I just wish Square Enix would let him out of his cubicle every once in a while for fresh air and maybe a new game or two.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
As lead designer and musician at Tales of Game's, I can promise you that Barkley 2 will be just as, if not more mediocre than the original.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
It's Banner Saga. It's a Kickstarter game that's not out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Rascyc posted:

But then I think about the Battle of South Moundtop and just say gently caress no, never again
ahaha, yep.

Why does the game go from very, very easy to very, very hard in the span of like 2 scenarios?