Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

is this game actually any good? I recently finished Suikoden V and have also played and loved Suikoden I and II, supposedly this game is very similar to them but since it was iirc made by a goon I'm a bit suspicious of the quality of it

If you were able to play through Suikoden 5 and not be completely appalled by its amount of IʻM AN ANIME and its utterly bullshit recruiting conditions, you could endure even the shittiest RPGMaker game. I hear itʻs pretty good anyway, so itʻs not like you have anything to worry about.

v then might i suggest that you visit one of those rmxp dev sites, i hear theyʻre full of games that you would just love

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

S-Alpha posted:

Oh, the woes of the game development cycle. Though it is too bad it isn't known better, as it is still quite good for what it is. If lacking in direction at times.

My only problem with the SaGa games is that they're incredibly opaque to the point of unbalancing. People have literally had to datamine it to figure out what goes where in the most basic gameplay aspects ("lightbulb"-ing attacks, determining monster transformations, combo mechanics, stat growth, etc.). Even if you go in knowing what a SaGa game is, it can be really frustrating to do any single one of them blind.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ice Blue posted:

It'd be more strategic if the numbers were standardized but to me, it's smarter to go for the numbers with the biggest gains.

Isn't it not random, but accumulative payoff style? You'll get bigger gains from one bonus if you don't select it for a while, but you'll eventually alway get the minimums if you only choose HP.

I tried playing that SMRPG New Techs + Higher Level Cap patch about a year ago. Its new skills are probably pretty cool, but the designers loving blew it by not only increasing TNL, but by reducing the EXP rewards. Plus they exchanged Mallow's Thunderbolt for Shocker, which made the grind even harder because you couldn't instantly one-and-out enemies.

By the sewers, you were still getting 1EXP per encounter. Unbearable.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 2, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PlasticPaddy posted:

I got wasted the other night and ordered a few PS2 RPGs:

Suikoden 3
Wild Arms 3

Wild ARMs 3 is my favorite entry in the series. It got things right without going too overboard with the poo poo that makes you feel ashamed to play it. Plus its optional bosses are actually, y'know, beatable.

Suikoden 3 is the third-weakest entry in the series. I don't say "third best" because it's not great by any means. However, it's not bad, either; kind of mediocre, but if you're expecting Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2, you're going to be disappointed. But that's been the case ever since that one main scenario designer left the series halfway through working on S3, which is probably why it's half bearable and half crap.

It was the first entry in the series to have unbearable battle loading. S1 and 2 had nearly-instantaneous transitions, no fancy poo poo, just a simple wipe transition, but S3 started in with all that ridiculous lead-in bullshit where the screen explodes and your characters run around retardedly for like twenty seconds. It also has pathing problems with its battle system and it's possible to get permanently stuck while your characters try to walk toward the enemies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ice Blue posted:

The guy goes on to act like FF12's license board system and FF6's esper system as being more complex than any western RPG's leveling system. Seriously? What's complex about the esper system? How is FF6's leveling system more complex than Baldur's Gate 2 with poo poo like THAC0?

Well, to be completely even-handed, THAC0 is only complex because... well, it's a pain in the rear end concept. Had BG2 used normal AC rather than that awkward system that adds the artificial layer of "what," there really isn't a lot of customization going on aside from "do I want to level my Kensai to 9 or do I go all the way to 12 before multiclassing Wizard?"

I'll give you that a 3e engine has more customization and complexity than most JRPGs, but the only mechanical progression complexity to be found in the older 2e-base games was "reroll reroll reroll" and the hidden mechanics, the latter of which can be said of any game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 6, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Coolio posted:

Even with it's painfully slow start Suikoden 5 is the best one in the whole series
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: even if it actually is good, Suikoden 5's medium makes pretty much every scene with any voice acting in it at all absolutely unbearable. Pretty much the only two VAs who didn't suck in that game were for Ferid and Georg, and they were probably the same person.

And its soundtrack was, with like ten exceptions (these exceptions are, admittedly, really loving good, but a quarter of them are "classic" Suikoden themes anyway), terribly grating. I dunno if it was that they chose bad synth, or just that the songs actually were crappy, or what, but they are pretty much unlistenable.

Ross posted:

Once again, I just like sprite-based graphics in my RPGs and would enjoy a new one with beautiful sprites, which is not common these days.
Well you probably played it, but Mother 3 is pretty much the most recent. The World Ends With You, maybe? I couldn't play it, the cast was just too horrible. Even after Neku lightens up, they just throw more annoying, unchanging archetypes at you. Radiant Historia does DS-res sprites in a polygonal world and I dunno, maybe you're just a bit nostalgic? I mean, I totally understand and agree, really good spritework will never age, but RH has a kind of nostalgic feel to it, but not as much as the reviews might lead you to believe.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 10, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

OneTrueBru posted:

Bog-standard "you can't aim for poo poo until you spend some exp, scrub" mechanic

I like how so many people think this is the mechanic, and ignore the fact that if you wait, what, three goddamn seconds, if your crosshairs are on target, you will always have pinpoint accuracy.

The fancy poo poo is what you don't get unless you put points into a skill, like lining up shots from behind cover without putting yourself into any danger or LoS, or making your accuracy line up faster.

I mean, I actually found this mechanic to be pretty realistic and fun: if you shoot wildly and frantically from the hip in real life, of course you're gonna miss a lot. And that is basically what not lining up your shots is.

If you're really whiny, you'll probably say something like, "WELL THAT DOESN'T WORK WITH SMGS OR SHOTGUNS" and the fact is, accuracy isn't even what SMGs and shotguns are for. I'll give you that bosses can be a real bitch if you don't know what you're doing--I didn't know what Chain Shot was even for until I'd beaten Taipei and Rome on my first playthrough--but that alone is evidence that while those encounters can be difficult, Soonmot is right: those battles are definitely puzzles.

And yeah, if you're playing a largely stealth game, or a Recruit game, then all normal encounters become puzzles as well. It's like figuring out how to get past a group of enemies without raising an alarm, which would either spoil your stealth run, or make things extra-tough for your recruit with no stealth abilities and no real defenses against getting swarmed.

tl;dr: I mean seriously you sound like a dick who played it for an hour and returned the game, if anyone complains about "the accuracy" in Alpha Protocol, they either didn't pay attention, or are basically clinically retarded.

Astfgl posted:

This is a strange question, but I'm guessing this is the thread for it:

Can anyone explain the plot of both Parasite Eves to me? I played a little of the first a long time ago, and was drawn in by the plot but I don't think I can go back to that era of console games. Also, the wikipedia summary of the plot is nonsensical. So can someone explain what the gently caress happened in those two games? I've always wanted to know, but don't care to suffer through the experience.
No, Wikipedia is right. Parasite Eve is batshit. I only played the first one to be honest, and while the gameplay was actually pretty fun (for me at least, but then I also didn't mind Vagrant Story's engine, which was basically the same thing except with melee range instead of pistol range), yeah.

1) Mitochondria are parasites and not actually what you learned in biology class
2) An opera songstress, Eve, makes people explode into flames because her Mitochondria have helped her, uh, evolve or someshit
3) Except she doesn't make you burst into flames because your body has the potential to transcend with the Mitochondria rather than petty human DNA, which is why everyone else spontaneously combusts or melts into poo poo-goop
4) Eve goes on to turn everyone in Central Park into poo poo-goop
5) You climb a hospital and fight a blob of poo poo-goop
6) You run into the sewers to flood the water supply with anti-poo poo-goop med--actually, I dunno, this part is rather fuzzy
7) You go to the Museum of Natural History to confront Eve
8) Eve is I guess pregnant with Mitochondrias?
9) She runs to the Statue of Liberty and gives birth to the Ultimate Being
10) You go on a destroyer boat and chill out with your police bros
11) You fight the Ultimate Being on the boat
12) Except you can't actually kill it because it's the U.B. and it just chases you blind through the boat's corridors, and I think you blow the boat up?
13) Now everyone's eyes glow like the main character's because I guess they have instantly evolved to live in symbiosis with the Mitochondria again or something retarded like that
14) There's a bonus dungeon with the TRUE ENDING. I never bothered because it is a hundred floors long, and they all look the same and have the exact same layout except its walls are randomly generated to block you out from the elevator to the next floor.
15) Not even kidding about the batshit. Apparently it was based on a movie.
16) Oh there's also this scientist FROM JAPAN who wants to bang the main character

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 11, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captain Vittles posted:

I've never played[...] The 3rd Birthday, though, so I dunno how the story changed after the first game.
People developed melting clothes to be worn specifically after the bio-apocalypse

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

casual poster posted:

Star Ocean has a good ARPG battle system, I've heard its similar to the Tales series, haven't played one of their games though.
Well with Star Ocean, you have two options:
1) Breakable as hell and you will be literally invincible
2) Broken as hell and will kick your rear end in the most un-fun way possible

Some people like breakable as hell. I do, but unfortunately this is only really present in SO1 and SO2, unless you want to use characters you hate. Which I don't.

quote:

Eternal Sonata has a good system as well, and a unique block option.
Yeah, sure, it's a great system. If you like hoping that the game will bring up the spell you want before your turn timer runs out. And if you can bear Chopinime shouting COOP DE GRACE!

Also credit where it's due, the block-prompt is basically an unrefined lift from Super Mario RPG, except it was an option for players with good timing and hand-eye coordination in SMRPG. Eternal Sonata requires you to block, or you will end up half-dead every encounter and spend ten minutes keeping one last enemy alive so you can cast healing because getting money to, y'know, do stuff as simple as buy healing items is loving impossible in that piece of poo poo game unless you want to waste a round hoping you'll get a photo of an enemy, and waste a slot in your party by using that hideously annoying bitch boy.

Sorry, ES is just a loving horrible game. Even its battle system, which it is sometimes hailed for, is a piece of mouldering dog poo poo.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 14, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ice Blue posted:

The most fun battle system in an RPG I've played is Grandia 2. It uses a battle timer system where you get to see what everyone has queued up and what they are about to do. Some skills come out faster and some take longer to do.

Hell yes. Well, if you're really familiarized with how the system works, then you can really start abusing it and it becomes more "oh poo poo, can I do this do this boss?" rather than "oh poo poo, can I even beat this boss?"

It was challenging and satisfying to fight Melfice without even letting him act once.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

casual poster posted:

Can anyone tell me more about xenogears battle system? From what I've seen from some gameplay videos on youtube is that it "seems" like you input a set of codes to get some type of attack? Am I seeing this right?

Pretty much. It's kind of like Chrono Cross where you have a Weak, Medium, and Fierce attack, except your combo length is limited by your level (and progress through the game) and you learn attacks as you 1) use the proper combination and 2) gain enough levels to be able to input that many attacks.

It'll always use X as the combo ender (at least I'm 99% certain this is the case), so you'll have combos that for example go "TTTX" "TSX" and when your level gets high enough, you start getting "TTTX" "TSX" "SSX" and so on. It's actually pretty engaging, but the system is basically thrown out the window when you fight in a Gear until pretty much the end of the game.

re: Grandia II, there is some slowdown in scripted, panning shots. Maybe some is an understatement, it can get pretty terrible at times. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or if it was outright programmed to do this so as not to overload the PS2, FF4-6+CT ports on the PSX style. It's definitely a thing to test now that PS2 emulation has achieved a highly-stable build.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 17, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The only thing I can say against Romancing SaGa is that it's really unintuitive and can be kick-you-in-the-balls hard if you don't go out of your way to exploit the mechanics. Some games, I'm cool with doing that. RS is not one of those games, so while people will tell you "oh yeah that last boss? SO. EASY. Look all you have to do is level your Water Magic proficiency up to 40 or higher and then buy this very specific spell for said character who also has to have 50 Bows proficiency, and know this one particular tech, and you'll beat him before he even gets a turn! Oh, what, you don't have that? Well, you're up poo poo creek then, buddy," your mileage will invariably vary.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BigRed0427 posted:

From the PS2 era, the .hack franchise may be my favroite...I guess you could say concept for a RPG.

Well if nothing else, it was certainly a clever money-making gimmick.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ Huh, you should be able to get into a few encounters by then. Its intro is a little long-winded, but it's nothing at all like the XS games. that's what disc 2 is for

TheOriginalEd posted:

I believe the speed shoes accesory also put your gears into auto boost when worn.

Haha on man yes it does, and it doesn't cost extra fuel per turn, either, so it synergizes excellently with the 100-strength Engine that only has 1000 fuel. I read about this one when I was trying seriously to beat XG about ten years ago, I had to retry the Hammer fight a dozen times before I was able to get the Collector's Card off of him so I could actually get those to even just drop in the first place.

There were indeed some pretty nuts setups, but I mean incidentally and probably kind of predictably considering one of my biggest bullet points on "hey is this RPG enjoyable?" my favorite part was naming my Gears.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 18, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SpazmasterX posted:

But the proest party is Fei, Citan, and Billy soooo

I dunno, I seem to recall Billy's Gear being kinda unimpressive.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ice Blue posted:

As for as characters go, what do you guys think of Chu?
I really wanted to like Chu Chu, but I dunno. Chuchupolin are astronomically unintellectual-looking creatures.

It was cool that she had a healing spell that could heal your Gears, but aside from that I never really used her enough that her healing spell was very effective in battle. Too lazy to buy a thousand kilos of DRIVE from Big Joe, I guess.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 18, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Drunken Butterfly posted:

e: Nobody should let an 11 year old play Xenogears.

The disc 2 stuff with people turning into Wels? Creeped me the gently caress out and I was like sixteen. Paired with that music? Scary poo poo, still makes me shudder.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doc Hawkins posted:

By what standard? I'm sure you turned out just fine, so what are you worried would happen to other kids?

I dunno, I think it's probably less "I turned out bad" and more "You know why you don't take kids to see 28 Days Later? Because they will be scared shitless and have nightmares for years to come."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ChuckDHead posted:

Okay, so I really suck at Secret of Mana. I finally beat that gnome king boss (running around him in circles as Randi while spamming Popoi's Acid Storm attack and completely forgetting about the ice sword spell did the trick for some reason)
This logic might a bit video game backwards, but the most expensive spell is not always the most powerful spell, especially in Freeze vs Acid Rain; I'm pretty sure Acid Rain's base power is lower than Freeze because it has the passive Defense- effect.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Basically what I'm asking is if anyone can suggest a game with plenty of customization both in terms of party and/or mechanics?

Well, I like the SaGa games for the music and art direction, so that might secretly be what's compelling you to play them. I'm pretty sure it's very unique as far as JRPGs go, so you can scrounge all you want but you won't find what you're looking for. I mean I think Valkyrie Profile had something retarded like hundreds of characters, but yeah. VP. Or how about Star Ocean 2? You can break the gently caress out of that and it has tons of characters, but while the art direction and general batshit is there, there isn't too much in the way of actual character customization.

But if you for reals know that it's the customization, then I'd definitely suggest pretty much any player-centric WRPG released in the past thirty years, from Deathlord to Baldur's Gate to Neverwinter Nights to maybe even Alpha Protocol, though that one is more customization-through-choice-and-action rather than numbers and poo poo.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 28, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Goons, tell me, what is the absolute chillest RPG ever? I've been on a Harvest Moon kick but my N64 is broken.

I mean unless you're looking for Pokemon remakes, FF9 is a pretty chill RPG, but I'd say Lunar or Lunar 2 takes the cake on this. Mystic Quest is also rather roll a blunt and relax.

-- Actually yeah Mystic Quest, definitely.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Nice Boy posted:

Hey all, quick question. I was at a garage sale over the weekend and noticed the guy had some classic Playstation RPGs, so I picked up Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy 9, and Suikoden 2 for 50 cents apiece. I figured that even if they sucked...50 cents. Good purchases? Any of them really good? I know that there were some amazing RPG's in the old Playstation days and some really lovely ones, and I never played any of these, and can't remember if they were supposed to be any good.

Ho. Ly. poo poo. That is like the turn of the century holy trinity right there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Volitaire posted:

Question about Seiken Densetsu 3 since there's been some talk about it. The last time I played it I remember it being quite buggy, similar to FF6.

I don't recall any gamebreakers in it. Unless you're a nitpicker for "oh why does this one specific lovely spell not work" or "why does this exploit work," it's perfectly fine.

And I don't even know of any features that don't work; just that there was some translation patch text display errors that you just gotta live with--it's a translation patch, you can't seriously expect AAA budget display solidity--and the only exploit I know of only applies to the optional Dark Rabite superboss.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Brannock posted:

Isn't there a bugfix patch out for Seiken 3? I know there are bugfix patches out for FF6 and it makes the game much more interesting.

A quick search of romhacking.net says that such a thing doesn't exist, only the translation patch and the multitap patch. Sorry, guys. I guess the knowledge of these bugs isn't widespread enough.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought we were on to something when the first weapon he picked up was basically a laser chainsaw. I was like "gently caress YES. I'm a space explorer who is ALSO a space lumberjack?"

This is what American games are for, except they tend to miss the over-the-top part.

... Quentin Tarantino should direct/produce a WRPG.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

punk rebel ecks posted:

How good is the roleplaying aspect (as in a world crafted around my decisions) in this game?

Well, the worldcrafting is most evident if you go from ME1 to ME2, but I really like it. You know Suikoden's early attempt at worldcrafting? It's the American Suikoden, except they've had a decade and a half to refine the breadth and depth of the effects that your actions have.

But yeah, the dialogue is highly polarized, and neutral stances are very unrewarding.

Just don't look up any fanart, or offsite discussions. Hell, some on-SA discussions of the ME universe can come... ehh, somewhat close to Bioware levels of :gonk:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 4, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Please explain.

A lot of the effects of your decisions aren't immediately apparent in-game because it was planned around being a trilogy and data importation and poo poo. Taking some decisions might block you out of certain quests (or unlock others), but clearing out some bandits holed up on some desert planet isn't going to suddenly curb interplanetary piracy.

But come ME2, you can see what you've changed, and the people you've changed, and what this means for the bed you've made for yourself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nate RFB posted:

I just like that it points Shepherd's character a direction and he/she runs with it, rather than just repeating whatever the selected line was verbatim. It "fleshes out" Shepherd's dialogue in a sense and makes his conversations sound like...well, conversations.

Yeah, this is part of why I liked Alpha Protocol, and part of why I disliked Dragon Age. Your dialogue choices should point you in the direction, but they ought not to be verbatim. But I suppose when it comes to a game where they'd have to hire 2-6 voice actors for the main character's lines, even when they've already done it for other games, folks can get stingy as hell.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh hey someone said something about Seiken Densetsu 3 bugfix like a page ago. They were right, and it exists, but the problem is that you're going to have to look for it yourself because it seems to only exist in pre-patched releases.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VDay posted:

Does anybody wanna give me beginner (like, first 20 mins of the game) tips on starting out in Etrian Odyssey 3?

If it's anything like EO2, don't worry too much about your skills since you can just redistribute your points at a guild-like shop. I think they even let you do it for free. You will, in fact, probably be doing this a lot even if you do over-level, because you'll be passing through areas with varying primary enemy weaknesses. You just get the points in a pool, then reassign them however you need to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Purple D. Link posted:

I bought Episode II in 2007 but I didn't like it and never finished it. How was III? I'm kind of interested in seeing how it all ends. Kind of.

Doesn't it, like, not end, because the Xenosaga series was supposed to go 1-4 into Xenogears' Episode 5? Nothing good can ever come of such a gimmick.

v Well that's pretty weird because yes according to Wikipedia it was supposed to be of six, but XG was episode 5, it even says so after the credits, so it would've gone XS1-4 --> XG --> ????.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 4, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

iastudent posted:

Is there any difference between the US and UK versions of Last Remnant PC? Amazon has the UK version for nearly $2 cheaper than the US one.

Maybe regional licensing issues? Drakensang is cheaper in the DE, for example.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Don't see why not. Sure, FO3 is $10 good. Hell, I've never finished it (and probably never will) and got it when it came out in 08 and still think I got my money's worth.

Plus the GotY edition that comes with all the DLCs? That's like... the entire FO3 game for the price of one FO3 DLC on XBox Live.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BadAstronaut posted:

Guys, what is the best way to play Final Fantasy 7 these days? Download it on PS3 and play there? Play the original on an actual Playstation? Get the Ultimate PC edition?

I'd say either PC or rip it from your PS1 discs and run ePSXe. The PC will let you mod it into modernity, even if you can't make it look that much better (and in some cases, "better" means "holy poo poo Cloud looks really goddamn creepy"), and you can even install some strategic balance mods that'll make you have to approach bosses with an air of caution rather than just overgrinding.

On the other hand, ePSXe will deliver your classic FF7 experience with sharper textures and anti-aliasing on models where possible. Of course, this basically just means the eyes and Barret's tattoo are sharper, there's not a lot of AAing you can do to those strangely endearing Lego block-people.

PSP, maybe, but definitely not PS3, because it's just a straight port and you'll get no sharpening or anything, making it look really harsh on your probably-not-a-CRT-these-days TV.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Nice Boy posted:

Got Eternal Sonata at a garage sale for 2 bucks over the weekend, and I'm loving it way, way more than I thought I would. Great battle system and it's loving gorgeous, and for a JRPG it's pretty low on the "cutie kawaii high voice" fuckery.

I can't tell if you bought an ES case with a Tales of Vesperia disc inside or what, but Eternal Sonata is the most horrible anime bullshit cockblowing game I've ever seen. I mean, it starts beating you over the head with pseudointellectual teenager bullshit from the very moment it starts and never, ever lets up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

prometheusbound2 posted:

I also really like the idea of star faring, science fiction rpgs(more starflight than Mass Effect) and was dissapointed to hear mixed reviews of Star Ocean. Are there any other games that adopt this theme and are better-either ME or Starflight style.

No. Because the Star Ocean series is full of that anime pseudoexistentialist babble bullshit. And there are no sci-fi JRPGs. There are, in fact, not even steampunk JRPGs. They are all swords and magic, even if they're Star Ocean, in which you start on a starship and immediately get beamed to the most backwards medieval planet you can imagine.

Also for the guy who says SO sounds interesting for the crafting system, I'll tell you this right now: the only game in that series with a remotely interesting crafting system is SO2, in which case it is awesome (if not fully catalogued). SO2 is the only Star Ocean game where crafting things actually means anything, because it the means through which you reach Level 100 before you're a third of the way through the game, it gives you infinite money, it helps you obtain the endings you want, and it is the only way that you can each character's unique ultimate weapon.

SO1's crafting is terrible, you buy unusable component items and it spits out a usable item. SO3's crafting system is terrible, you save up a bunch of money and talk to some "ZANY WACKY ANIME!" batshit retcon main character and hope the RNG gives you something that costs hundreds of thousands of Fols to make. SO4, I have no idea, and you should never ever play it anyway.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 23, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Drazko posted:

So a friend of mine recently had his ps2 die on him. As a result I am now the proud owner of suikoden 3,4, tactics, and 5 among others. I've played suikoden 1 and 4 before so I know the basic mechanics of the games, but is there any good source for finding the 108 stars of destiny in each one? Also are there any other major side quests that I need to watch out for?

Part of the fun of Suikoden is finding the Stars of Destiny yourself, you should at least give each one a try finding as many as possible first yourself. Except Suikoden 3, there's no time limit on that one and good thing, it takes like 100 hours to speedrun. Failing that, there's always that Suikosource website. I dunno about the people who post there, but they seem kinda douchey. Just visit for the info, I guess.

They pretty much don't have any missable sidequests, just minigames and secrets for you to find. I'd think that recruiting everyone is a sidequest enough.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I highly doubt there's anything you'll miss if you go straight into Tactics (which, by the way, I haven't heard anything good about either, but you're really into the story, which I totally understand).
Pretty sure you can't recruit the hero from 4. Or if you can, he'll presumably suck.

quote:

I found a lot of the characters in Suikoden 5 extremely easy to miss. There are a lot of time-limited ones, ones waaaay back in dungeons you've already been (shades of Yuber in 1, I guess). Be sure to get the Detective. Use gamefaqs if you want more detailed help.
Uuuuuuuuuugh I hated all that poo poo. It was obscenely obscure. The point of Suikoden games is that they're supposed to be fun to recruit guys in. In Suikoden 5, due to weird flag shenanigans, it's basically impossible to recruit half the optional roster. Especially since some of them depend on you having visited these ridiculously out-of-the-way locations that do not, in fact, have any bearing on anything whatsoever, such as that one bridge. You have to have visited it your first time in the windmill city, and if not, then the flag for having visited it will be permanently off, even if you visit it later.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chinaman7000 posted:

If I have 0 experience with Dungeons and Dragons, will NWN2 confuse me? Should I just look up character builds on line and follow them?

You can do specific builds but honestly do whatever pleases you. The mechanics might seem odd at first since it's rolling out of 20, but I myself only half-understand them (I've never understood how to calculate the DC of a saving throw on a spell), but it's not terribly confusing.

But if you want a build, for a caster, I like to go Sorcerer/Wizard6->Eldritch Knight->Arcane Scholar ASAP, but that's just because I like a caster with a little meat on him. The build would actually be optimized if the game engine let you take four classes so you could take Fighter 3 to get the combat feets you need for Eldritch Knight, but it only lets you take three.

Basically if you see a Prestige Class you like, click on it and check what the requirements are, then just build yourself toward it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KariOhki posted:

You eventually get enough characters to use that can't permanently die, and I recommend just sticking with them unless you REALLY like someone. Though permadeath is a Suikoden series staple anyway.

Yeah, if you're worried about permadeath, stick with the big names from Suikoden 4, and the plot-relevant characters from Tactics. Off the top of my head Kyril and his starting entourage can never die, and neither can the S4 Hero, S4 Hero's friends (the elf chick, Jewel, Kenneth, and that muscle man) Kika, and Cid Highwind Lino En Kuldes.

Pretty much everyone else is fair game for the game to poo poo on, though. they all suck anyway