Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Super Mario RPG was definitely great, but I haven't played it since release and never will again because I still hear this loving song in my nightmares.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61WtOdq-_bU
Over. And over. And over.
Barkley Gaiden was terrific. I watched Space Jam to see how many inside jokes there were, and the answer is very few. Don't do it, it's terrible.
As for Final Fantasy X, I enjoyed it but the story is such a double-edged sword. On one hand, there are some intense or emotional moments with some great music, and on the other hand there's so much emo crap and jilted dialog I just kept shaking my head and saying "loving Japan." I didn't know the voice actors had to tailor their performance to the game's animation but it makes total sense. It didn't come off natural at all to me, and there are so many goddamn pauses. The corridor format didn't hurt the game as much as I thought, but it eliminated a lot of the freedom of the previous games. I disagree with OriginalEd's view that Final Fantasy has always been an A-->B game. There were usually multiple times in the game where you could fly around and do whatever, exploring new places and seeing what monsters you could fight there. I remember the first FF having a spot somewhere with like two walkable spaces and you could go back and forth to fight GrOgres or something to get the best gold. And of course grinding for economizers in FF3's dino forest. poo poo, I didn't even know about the cactuars until years later.

Anyway, I just started Divinity 2 and the first town has a graveyard with witty epitaphs! Good omen. Anything I should know about this game? Any skill trees to avoid, etc? Do the good/evil choices matter much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Thanks!

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

While I was reading this debate this music was playing through my head, I haven't even heard it in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cJe5v5lLKk

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but GOG is selling Witcher:EE for $4.99.

That's an amazing deal for that amount of content. I only played the EE and found it very polished. It starts a bit slow, and there is a lot of running around from time to time, but it's not too bad. If you haven't played it yet, now is the time.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Limorkil posted:

rpg stuff

Good taste.
Some people have already suggested these, but here is my short list of "don't misses":
Fallout 2 - The first one is alright, but I played the second first so it has always seemed limited to me. Hardcore combat, choices that matter, and terrific atmosphere make for many satisfying playthroughs.
KOTOR 2 - I haven't played the restored content mod but it was great anyway. The story is way better than KOTOR.
Planescape: Torment - Great story and writing. After I beat it, I looked at a guide and found out I had missed literally half of the game.
V:TM Bloodlines - Clunky combat but great story, immersion, and acting.
Arcanum - Great story and music, I can't get it to work anymore so I only played through it once. It's buggy as hell- I got all the way to the end only to hit the level cap (40) and crash the game. I thought I had applied the correct patch to fix that but I guess not. If you can get it to work, it's fantastic.

Fallout 3 was enjoyable, I was very skeptical of the switch from an isometric rpg to a Bethesda game, but it's good in its own way. Let's gently caress Bro (lol) already said it: Oblivion with guns. Huge world to explore. The story is lacking, npcs are dull and the combat gets really easy toward the end (in the vanilla campaign, I never played any of the DLC). New Vegas seems pretty awesome so far, improving the number of choices you get to make and apparently having them actually matter. I'm probably only halfway through right now so it could still be a big letdown.
Mass Effect was okay. Dragon Knight Saga was pretty good- a little too much repetition in some parts, but has some great moments.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Lurchibles posted:

If anyone is a fan of old-school cRPGs (like the original Fallouts) then I strongly recommend you check out Arcanum on GoG. It's on deal at the moment for $4.19 which is almost nothing for a fantastic game.

All OVER this! Thanks for the heads up. Once you get past the strange control scheme this game is one of the best ever.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

TooManyUzukis posted:

Since we're on the subject of NWN2, I have always had the hardest time dealing with spirit hunger in MotB. Is there any advice relating to that system anyone can give? I would prefer to not "give in" to the hunger, but it feels very difficult to manage that.

It was really difficult for me to get into this game because of the spirit hunger. I was used to using a shitload of spells all the time and resting every couple of battles. I never even thought of the option to sacrifice experience to manage the hunger (it's one of the spirit-eater abilities) since exp is always so important in rpgs. You can get through the whole game easily if you use this option a couple of times, it totally resets your meter and craving level, and it doesn't take much xp at all (you might end up at level 36 instead of 37 or something). Or you can revel in your spirit-eater destiny and eat every spirit you can find (you should definitely try this sometime).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

RickDaedalus posted:

I have:

Attributes:
6 Body
0 Magic
4 Strength
4 Charisma

Skills:
7 Firearms
2 Computer
1 Negotiation

I'm done with all the Arena fights. I got lucky in some and in others I performed the ancient art of grenade spam. The last fight was pretty easy, it just took a while. I have a shotgun and Mesh Jacket. I'm not sure if I want to hire runners. Do they do anything useful?

Good weapon and armor choice, those will last you for a large chunk of the game. When hiring runners, go for utility (most bang for your buck). Don't hire deckers, they're too weak (except for Steelflight, who is insanely overpriced). I have to disagree with hiring magic users, as their attacks suck after they run out of MP. Your best value picks for tough areas are Frogtongue and Anders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

iastudent posted:

So the latest issue of Retro Gamer magazine has a cover story on the SNES Shadowrun game, and the producers they interviewed let on to something (crossposted from the Retro Gaming Megathread)

I would love to hear what this is -- I scoured the gently caress out of that game so many times.