Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So anyone want to talk the PSP? Its pretty much the perfect portable RPG machine.

I have on my PSP:
Persona 3 Portable
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Cladun

and I want to get Disgaea 1 and 2 dispite actually beating them on the PS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

To be honest, I have no idea. I just bought it and its on my memory stick, just waiting to be played.

Apperently there are a ton of customization options, so its good for some mindless hacking n slashing and continiously leveling up and finding better and better stuff.

Story is supposed to be minimal I heard, so in a way it is basically a super dungeon crawler. I think the environments are at least varied.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

How do you guys feel about strategy guides for RPGs? Not strategy guides in general (if you just say they're worthless, and you can get them for free on gamefaqs, please, stay out of the discussion, that isn't what we're looking for) but strategy guides for RPGs.

Disgaea and the Persona series has a fantastic line of strategy guides from Doublejump, and I think Xenosaga is at least pretty bearable with one.

Personally, I try to look for detailed maps in my guides, those are the most useful to me. RPGs is the only genre of games I'd even consider a guide for, and that's because I want to be able to thumb through the maps or sidequests easily.

Bonus points if it's a combination artbook though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Glad to know I'm not alone in the strategy guide thinking.

Now what they should do is have Bradygames or something like that start charging a yearly access fee to .pdfs of all their strategy guides.

Imagine looking up strategy guides from 15 years ago instantly on your phone. This kind of service wouldn't be much bandwidth and I'm sure they've got most, if not, all of their guides uploaded in a format similar to .pdf.

But on the other hand, part of the appeal is having something to physically thumb through and look up stats and charts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

that's pretty much all of the appeal for me, if I wanted to read it on a computer then gamefaqs is just fine. Kind of like how owning a CD or record is way better than just having mp3s, and I'd never buy music if it was download only

Actually, just had a nifty masterstroke idea. Why not copy what most CDs and Blurays do these days?
Put in a code in your strategy guide that allows you to download a .pdf version of your strategy guide, and you can put it on your droid/kindle/computer device.

Have the guide sold unwrapped, but keep the codes near the register. Or you can make it so the code can print out on the receipt.

So the perfect dream organization would be have a subscription service with unlimited guide viewing, maybe a lower level subscription that only allows for 2 guides per month, then have your physical guides but sold with a code that allows you to redeem it for a copy that works on kindle/smartphone/computer devices. Said subscription would have a small fee that would allow you to download for your kindle/smartphone/computer device permanently.

But alas, I can see we're going to get stuck with guides churned out for the latest generic FPS, with RPG guides being produced a little bit here and there, and quickly go out of print and cost up in the $30+ to acquire a copy yet are the most sought after due to the complexity of the games of the genre.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

With all these lists up here, mind if I interrupt to ask for a good list of PS2 RPGS

I've been in a bit of a buying mood, and I decided I might as well finish up my PS2 rpg collection.

Recently I bought Okage: Shadow King, Xenosaga 1-3, .hack 1-4 and g.u. 1-3, King's Field 4 as well as Shadow Tower Abyss.

I think everyone should at least try:
.Hack 1-4
.Hack G.U. 1-3
Dark Cloud 2
Devil Summoner 1-2
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Digital Devil Saga 1-2
Dragonquest
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 12
Kings Field 4
Kingdom Hearts 1/2
Nocturne (Shin Megami Tensei)
Okage: Shadow King
Persona 3
Persona 4
Phantom Brave
Shadow Hearts 1-3
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters
Suikoden 3/4
Tales of Abyss
Xenosaga 1-3

Anything I should add? It's gonna be a huge list, but I think we could make a good comprehensive list. I know I'm forgetting a lot, but a ton of my games are inside boxes.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 17, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Is that your collection, or a "must play" list? Because if it's the latter, I think a lot of those games do not qualify at all.

Off the top of my head, you're missing SMT: Nocturne, Dark Cloud 2, Steambot Chronicles, DragonQuest, and the Suikodens.

it's more of a if you're gonna buy an PS2 for RPGs, you could try stuff off this list.

A comprehensive list of PS2 RPGS, and we'll weed out the very terrible ones.

Updated list.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 17, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

From the PS2 era, the .hack franchise may be my favroite...I guess you could say concept for a RPG.

It's like if you combined a roguelike with a MMORPG, but made it singleplayer.

The story was pretty interesting, and at least isn't 'Supervillian/evil corporation wants to destroy the world. You, a nameless kid from some backwards town is the Chosen One to stop the evil plan'

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

relativity the same, but as you progress the game world starts to breakdown, so you incounter alot of glitched out fights and some more colorful areas to explore.

Also the next series (G.U.) looks better, and has a more robust combat system.

The story is more.... dramatic? more of an impact at least, if you've played the previous 4 games though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This is a long shot but has anyone played Tales of Xilia? I was thinking of getting a Tales game for my PS3 while I wait for Symponia, and I figured my choices are to get Grace now or wait for Xilia. Obviously Vesperia is not an option for a PS3 owner.

Or should I just skip them both?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Skip them both?

Get them both. Graces has an bad plot, but the gameplay is so much better then Symphonia.

Xillia's supposed to be pretty good too. I think the consensus is the gameplay is worse then Graces, but it's otherwise better.

Well I'm getting Symphonia as a nostalgia kick as I have fond memories of it in high school. Now I'm just deciding if I want Graces or Xilia now. (and honestly, I don't know if I can get them both, there's only so many rpgs I can play in any given year) Let's just say, which one would you pick if you had to choose between Graces/Xilia?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I recruited the third character in Ni no Kuni and then just... stopped playing. The fights are dreadfully dull, the story didn't seem to go anywhere, and it's almost impossible to avoid fighting if an enemy has seen you. The AI is beyond stupid and most boss fights are just the MC versus the boss because the AI doesn't seem to want to live.

Should I just trade the game in or does it pick up at some point? The towns look great, the music is awesome, and the monsters are cute. It's just the gameplay and story that are extremely dull at this point.

Yeah, chiming in to say it won't pick up. It's even more of a slog later on (I dropped down to easy difficulty just to blitz through the last two dungeons)

The sad thing is, this game has so much charm, especially in the first 5-10 hours, but it really wastes/pads things out too much in the second half.

Also most people will say they tried too hard to make compelling gameplay, which ends up being a clusterfuck of sorts and obviously unfun to play.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 10, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's good to see I'm not alone in that sentiment. I bugged a Bamco rep for a copy after hearing people rave about it but I couldn't bring myself to play anymore past a few dungeons. Which is such a shame considering the game's whimsical charm.

I think one of the big problems is that the art style only can help you so far. They did generic environments all the way up to even the final dungeon but if they got a little more creative, it could help.

It really hurts that you have a sewer as a dungeon for your first dungeon.

I can see why so many people feel this way about NnK. The first hour is filled with wonder as you slowly discover this world. You have an odd yet charming companion with a Welsh accent. After you hit fairyland (which is like maybe the third town/dungeon in the game, and to me the most unique part of the game) shortly after that you'll slowly realize that this whole world is a generic fantasy world and pretty dull.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

It doesn't help that this is right about when the gameplay systems really start to fall apart. You get your first actual party member, and you learn how to capture monsters...and it turns out ally AI is trash, the capture mechanic wasn't implemented very well, and getting new monsters up to speed is very, very grindy, which is made worse by the game's combat system (that, by this point, you're probably getting really sick of.)

Don't forget that when you evolve a monster, it starts over as level one again, so you have to fight using your others for about 5-10 battles until its leveled up enough that it can fight without dying.

Imagine if Pokemon carried the same mechanic.

Yeah anyways, after Fairytown is when the charm of the game can't cover the horrible mechanics anymore.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So rpg thread, I need some recommendations.

I'm looking for something Sci fi. I'd like to actually see a good amount of outer space, spaceships and such.

Outer worlds isn't doing it enough for me.

Stuff like star ocean (the good ones) doesn't qualify (to me) since it's really mostly medieval settings and the Sci fi feels like a minor part.

Not in the mood to replay kotor. So I need something new that also gets my Sci fi kick going. I'm also willing to be playing it for the story, not the game play. I'm just trying to get some ideas before I pick and replay Xenosaga or something.

I have access to just about any console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Interesting ideas so far.

Infinite space is the closest but geez it's like $50 for a ds game. Edit: that seems to be for a complete set but the cart only is closer to $20. There is a problem of fakes it seems.

I'm also staying away from cyberpunk since I'll have cyberpunk 2077 next year.

I'm waiting on xenoblade since the switch is supposed to get a remaster of it and it looks great.

If nothing else sounds interesting I'll have to try to score a copy of infinite space on ebay for cheap. I think I've heard that game is tough as nails though?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 2, 2019