Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

BoF4 has one of the neatest stories in JRPGs while also having some of the prettiest spritework and the 3D on the bosses and dragons and such looks cool because it adds to the "this is a thing out of place" mystique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Because the game doesn't work that way. It's not an mmo with aggro calculations and such - the enemy goes after who you are controlling. Ergo, if you want to balance aggro, you balance who you are controlling.

duh we know how it is, but that's kind of wack. I don't love switching to Aerith to build up a little meter and everyone beelines to her even though she hasn't been bothering them

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm looking forward to the eventual Parallel Worlds (hardmode) randomzier speedrun races.

are people working on a Parallel Worlds randomizer?? I know people are down on that hack but I have some fondness for it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I got SaGa Scarlet Grace on a whim and I'm already utterly fascinated. I have no idea what's going on

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the most SaGa I've played before this is emulating FF Legend 3 in like 2001 and feeling bad I turned a girl into a monster and trying to rent a SaGa for PSX and some teens had somehow overwritten it with an audio file of them laughing with their friends

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Cecil and Cloud are both 21, so at least not teens

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Libluini posted:

JRPG-logic strikes again. I never thought about Cecil's age, but considering he is already a highly-decorated soldier at game start, I until now quietly assumed he was in his 30s at least. But always, always JRPGs beat me. :shepface:

well, he's at least been in military service since he could be and has been trained in a difficult art with the dark sword

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

loquacius posted:

Speaking of FFT, what should I do with Ramza, like, long-term

He has been kicking rear end as a Monk, which seems to be a fairly popular choice for him AFAICT, but I don't know if it necessarily scales to endgame, and getting him into the advanced classes will require a lot of time spent in shittier classes, as I have found out by trying to do it with generics. Do I wanna keep him as a Monk the whole game or should I be aiming for something else in act 4?

my suggestion is to get him to Ninja to learn Dual Wield so he can punch good twice

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

don't do the broken poo poo in FFT, just have fun with what appears to work as you learn what poo poo does. make one of your guys with high Faith into a Samurai and go nuts

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

why is the enemy getting United Attacks when I kill one of their guys? I'm getting slayed!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh, I thought they only happened when you bring two units of a team together when they were divided by their enemy, not just if they clack together no matter who was in the middle. well drat

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the story is dog easy in disgaea, right

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

halving up

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

do you guys ever get tired of making the same lame joke

yeah i hate it when other people are having fun too

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

so thats a no?

you sound like a grizzled 21-year-old soldier

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

this is still the same joke

i'm going to make it 20

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i've been chugging along in the first shadow hearts. i like the setting and tone a lot but i'm hoping the sequels have a little more to them gameplay-wise

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

all the ones about space stuff are bad explicitly

scifi is different from that though. lots of RPGs are science fiction, like all FFs for instance

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The Colonel posted:

my favorite weird untranslated sci fi jrpg will forever be cyber doll, the sega saturn jrpg where characters' dialog portraits are literally just the game zooming in on their sprite and the plot is about how someone found a cure for aids, but then the aids mutated into incurable super aids and the only way to save humanity was to turn everyone into immortal cyborgs, but then the super aids evolved into an ultra aids that drives cyborgs insane, and all of this is dropped in a five minute long low budget cg intro narrated in english by a guy who sounds insanely bored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pwvVpmSPk0&t=73s

that's just nier minus the bad va

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ff9 is hella scifi, and from the jump with the mist machines pumping out black mages

the least scifi might be ff2, but even then I might be forgetting something

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I would replay the MMBN games if they got another translation pass

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

all of the battle network translation issues are forgiven just for the bit in bn2 where they go

Bass: You can't possibly defeat me. Battle is my forte!
Megaman: We'll see about that! Let's rock, Lan!

that in particular is cute, but even as a boy emulating the games, I remember a lot of typos and grammar mistakes that would probably drive me nuts now

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

are the "i am setsuna" games sequential or can be played in any order?

i didn't even know there was more than one

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't bother beating Act 3 because it felt like a chore

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is Solasta cool

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

It's on PC game pass for free if you have it.

I would but I got burned by it having an uninstallable partition devoted to Outer Worlds that my last computer still has

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lalafell should be replaced by moogles

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I looked it up because I had no idea what the side quest in question was, and it sounds like it's just a cute little side thing involving two characters many might not care about, but if you do, look, here's a cute thing you can do

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is this game gonna have anything to do with Kingdom Hearts

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah Racing Lagoon's tied in pretty heavily to the whole mythos.

:popeye:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the positive thing we can probably all agree on is that this'll be the best way to play FF3

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Motto posted:

I laughed when they revealed the dark magical girl forms with one of them shooting a giant rifle.

it's so funny

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is Wooden Ocean fun to play or is it an interesting mess?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I cast ○Mute on Ace Transmuter

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 27, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

for what it's worth, that was a very good impression of an old gamefaqs guide

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

did they make Tales combat fun yet (I only played Phantasia and Symphonia)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hmm. I'll watch videos just in case

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

there was basically no strategy to those games so that's just what I have imagined Tales games to have been like since

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Been playing SMTIV:Apocalypse before the next one comes out (since I never actually beat it), and, ugh, negotiation is just the absolute pits. Its just such an enormous waste of time to talk to a demon, go through like three dialogue choices, then just have it gently caress off or decide to attack me. Bonus points if I've given it something already.

"The demon is giving you it's hand"
Me: *takes hand*
Demon: "This is 'hand'"
*ends negotiation*

loving great this was a good interaction glad I wasted my time.

At one point I talked to a demon probably about four times over that many battles, every time having it either leaving or attacking me. Never did end up getting it, I left the area before I found it again.

Literally every other system they've used in spinoff series to get demons has been better than this.

I'm glad they do this because it's very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

WOAH WATCH OUT BRO THIS poo poo IS PUTTING ME ON AN FBI WATCHLIST

*pan to a fully clothed young girl in a game clearly aimed at young women*

lol I know where you're coming from but I will say that recently, there's been some games on the recommended section on Steam that were really disgusting looking. I'm sure that's what they're referring to