Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
So I've started playing Exit Fate due to all the praise it got in this thread I'm enjoying it so far, but I have a couple of questions.

I'm at chapter 4 now, just started, but I still only have around 10 people total on my side, have I not been looking around enough or is this par?

Also, Royston, whats the deal with him? Dudes like 70 and level 1, does he get joke-powerful or something if you train him up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Hey goons,

I'm about to play me some Arcanum, having never actually completed it, and I wondered what mods/patches/etc were good/required, I've got one unofficial patch by Drog Black-Tooth or something, but I'm sure there were others last time I checked, anyone know?

I recently finished Planescape: Torment for the first time, I feel like no RPG will ever compare.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Due to the amount of praise I've read about it on here I've grabbed a DS off eBay and Radiant Historia, the grid twist to the normal jRPG combat system's interesting enough, and the main character is refreshingly unretarded. I used to be a huge jRPG fan in my younger days (Before I played other games more focused on character choice and development, etc) and it's been a long time since I played one, there's just something about them that I find very comforting (Maybe from playing them so much as a kid) and cathartic, I'm really enjoying it, I was hoping you goons could recommend some other good DS RPGs?

I hear Chrono Trigger got remade and I never did finish that in the end so I could buy that.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

TehGherkin posted:

Due to the amount of praise I've read about it on here I've grabbed a DS off eBay and Radiant Historia, the grid twist to the normal jRPG combat system's interesting enough, and the main character is refreshingly unretarded. I used to be a huge jRPG fan in my younger days (Before I played other games more focused on character choice and development, etc) and it's been a long time since I played one, there's just something about them that I find very comforting (Maybe from playing them so much as a kid) and cathartic, I'm really enjoying it, I was hoping you goons could recommend some other good DS RPGs?

I hear Chrono Trigger got remade and I never did finish that in the end so I could buy that.

Quoting this from a couple pages back as it unfortunately got buried in a lot of Xenosaga discussion. If it helps I'm into almost any sort of RPG, tactical or no. I'll take suggestions for pretty much any good DS games, but RPGs are my favourite type. If anyones played the Phoenix Wright series; are they worth a shot, and with which do i start?

I also have a Radiant Historia question for anyone who's played the game, it relates to a fairly early sidequest That guy wants me to get him some stuff from Alma mine, I assume I have to go there in the other history, but when should I do this? There are a lot of nodes to pick from and it seems like all the ones that let me walk around, everytime I try to go to Alma mine I get stuff like "We need to go to X instead, not Y!"

edit: cheers, I'll go take a look around.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 6, 2012

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Not sure where to ask this so I thought this thread would be as good a place as any.

I've decided to replay an old favourite; Knights of the Old Republic, I'm gonna do the sequel afterwards and the sequel to that never (Because I just don't MMOs, shame they're doing this to the Elder Scrolls instead of continuing the series in singleplayer format, but eh, that's another post)

Anyway, regarding KotOR I've got two questions.

Firstly, are there any mods that are worth bothering with or content restoration patches like there are for the second?

Secondly, while it's kinda cool to play as a non-jedi for a bit, the fact that your old classes skills and abilities become useless when you become a Jedi is really annoying. What's also annoying is that I'll waste 3-4 potential Jedi levelups in a game where 20 is the level cap, on some other class I won't be using anymore. Aside from just -not- levelling up and probably dying a poo poo ton on the intro planet, is there anything I can do to get all my sweet, sweet Jedi levelups without flat out cheating and turning invincibility on for the first planet?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

V-Men posted:

Just the other day I found myself jonesing for a JRPG I could play on my PC.

I'm pretty sure the creator has another jRPG on PC, there's also those two side-scrolling ones whose names I can't remember at the moment. Barkley: Shut up and Jam, and emulators. The freeware thread has at least a couple more on PC as well.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

TehGherkin posted:

Secondly, while it's kinda cool to play as a non-jedi for a bit, the fact that your old classes skills and abilities become useless when you become a Jedi is really annoying. What's also annoying is that I'll waste 3-4 potential Jedi levelups in a game where 20 is the level cap, on some other class I won't be using anymore. Aside from just -not- levelling up and probably dying a poo poo ton on the intro planet, is there anything I can do to get all my sweet, sweet Jedi levelups without flat out cheating and turning invincibility on for the first planet?

Still haven't found a solution to this so if anyone knows what I can do about it, that'd be great, is there a savegame editor that'd allow me to reset my levels and class to jedi, then give myself the appropriate amount of experience? Even that'd be a boon at this point.

I know by the end of the game I'll be more than powerful enough anyway but there's something about those lost Jedi levels that really bothers me deep down, maybe that's why I replayed the sequel but never this one before; you start off as a Jedi (Although Peragus is an arguably shittier "intro area" than Talos or whatever you start on in KotOR)

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

I've played FM1 and bits of FM3, but the latter just felt really slow to me so I just kinda lost interest around mission 5 or so. My favorite, though, is definitely Gun Hazard. It's just such a ridiculous and fun and simple game.

I'm in the exact same boat here, FM1 is one of the few SNES jRPGS I ever got round to actually finishing, but when I tried 3 (Whats the deal with 2?) I just never got into it. Do goons think its worth giving it another shot? Whats 4 like? and has anyone else got any opinions on the quality of the translation patch? I'd really like more Front Mission in my life.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
All signs say the Game of Thrones RPG is terrible. I still bought it, because poor graphics, voice acting, and bugs don't stop me from enjoying things. I have such a huge tolerance for lovely things. I'm also a massive fanboy who read the books first and just started watching the pretty decent series.

Also I will basically play anything where I can use swords and level up to use swords better, it's as simple as that.

Experience is better than crack, I'll be back in a day or so to tell Goons about my time with it.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
So, when I was 8 or so, I got Final Fantasy 7 on PS1. It was my first ever RPG, I ordered it out of a PS1 magazine. My mum let me have the day off school when it arrived and I spent the entire day playing it.

Now, at 22, I've decided to revisit it properly (I played it on and off as a kid, I don't think I ever got past disc 1 because 8 and 9 came out and I actually completed those, then there were things like PS2s and such and my young brain forgot). Can I just loving say, Oppressed People, the Wall Market music, is probably one of the most chilled and awesome tunes I've ever heard.

I can't believe what an amazing game this really is, I knew it was great, historically notable in fact, loved by millions. Holy crap though, I just escaped the jail cells in Shinra and was struck by how intimidating and eerie it felt, I remember that image of Jenova scaring the poo poo out of me as a kid.

I also nearly died laughing in the Honey Bee Inn. Stoned off my proverbial rear end, I realized many things my 8 year old self missed. I was obviously disappointed about the Group Room, because hey, I knew that sex was a thing and I figured, sex with more than one girl is more better, of course, that's just math! I was disappointed that I just got in a hot tub with some guys. I thought Cloud said "It hurts." because well, those were some muscly dudes, and it was a small tub, pretty cramped, right? That entire segment is pure gold. Although I remember this Shinra section not being the darkest by a long shot, it's weird how carefree and funny parts of it can be while terrible things are happening.

I've found a bunch of stuff I missed, I never even knew there was a shop on Level 2 of Shinra HQ. I bet I'm still missing stuff. I can't wait to play through the whole thing, and I definitely can't wait to play 8 and 9 again (Haven't played either since I was 13-14ish).

Heh, and here I sit, with my xbox 360, tons of games I need to play on it (Bought, not played. Bought, played a few hours of and liked, got distracted by other games) including Dark Arisen, something I dearly love, yet I spend most of my time playing FF7 and Fallout 1 & 2.

Feels good.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

Stop playing after Midgar. do yourself...biggest favor.

Eh, different strokes for different folks, I won't deny it's probably one of the coolest parts of the game.

Speaking of, is there a way to tell if you need the chocobo or the minigame patch 'til you get there? I don't want to install them if i dont need them in case it breaks something

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Hey can anyone give me the lowdown on stuff I need to know going into Divine Divinity? I've always wanted to play it and I saw a friend playing Dragon Knight Saga earlier, and I really wanna play that. Unfortunately I literally can't play a game out of order of release even if they're only barely related. Same with films and books.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Much appreciated. I'm thinking of going wizard as last time I attempted it I went warrior. How are wizards in this game, do they start weak and end up the master-race ala D&D?

I'm really looking forward to the second one, even though it's a totally different style, the mind reading looks great, plus loving dragons. I have to do things chronologically though, so this first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Wizards can be brokenly good... if you know what you're doing. How much patience you have and how much you're willing to exploit things can determine that as well. I did an LP of Divinity 1 and was surprised how crazy broken a wizard could get if you really tried.

In Divine Divinity, bookshelves have a random chance of spawning a spellbook (only wizard spells, no other classes). If you abuse save and reload you can accumulate a huge pile of them.

Two downsides to wizards are that mana doesn't regenerate on its own, you need to drink potions/eat certain items, or rest (which you can only do every so often). This can be mostly compensated for by buying all the Small Flasks you can get in Aleroth each time you return to town. Using them to make health and mana potions from herbs and mushrooms, then combine them to make Small Restoration potions, which are the best recovery item in the game. If you're diligent about gathering, you can have a healthy supply before you cross the river.

The second downside is that Intelligence only gives you 6 points of mana per point of Int. It's better than the 4 Warriors get, but with 5 attribute points, that's only 30 mana per level. Plus, you're going to want about 70 points of Strength to wear the best gear. Constitution isn't a great investment either, as even 5 points only gives a Wizard 20 more health.

Charms are what you can use to make up for deficiencies. Charms are things you put into socketable gear. The size of the gear doesn't matter, so even a ring can have a Charm Quality of 5 (meaning you can put in 5 Charms). The best quality charms can give you +100 to Health or +100 to Mana. It takes a while before you reach enemies high enough level to randomly drop those, though.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm actually reading your LP as I play the game. It'd be more appropriate to say I was reading along with my playing than playing along with the LP. I play the game for a few hours, then read up to where I've gotten in the LP, really helpful for stuff I've missed; I'd have never duplicated the healing gem without it.

I'm glad I went mage, even though it feels like cheating, the cast as fast as you can click is just broken, nothing is a match for machine-gun meteors or my newly acquired lightning bolt. Annihilated the troll king and his entourage and stole his gold, which is a drop in the ocean of money and items I have, as well as dozens of restoration potions.

I think just going in a circle around Aleroth obliterating orcs with arcane powers netted me a couple hundred thousand exp and and bumped me up to level 10, too.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 13, 2014