Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I know I'm years behind the times here, but I just beat Overlord in EOII. Is there some basic class/skill combination I've overlooked the entire game? Because every single tactic I tried still left me at the mercy of the RNG. Level 65 Beast kitted out to be a giant meat wall? Dead in one round of attacks. Hexer and Dark Hunter could never get their ailments & debuffs to stick. Until they did, and then I won.

I'm okay with a game where luck plays a major factor, but if there's some trick I'm missing, I'd like to know before I tackle the post-game content. (Also if there's any build that makes Troubadours and Alchemists worth the gobs of TP they require just to function.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

How does the post-storyline content in Etrian Odyssey III compare to the second game? I was glad to see some lingering side plots resolved, but grinding characters up to fight Ur-Child has been such a goddamned slog.

If there's nothing to speed it up, then it needs to be really, really good for me to bother with it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

SSJ Reeko posted:

Is there anything I should know going into SF2? I just picked it up and I remember being rather confused about abilities and feeling like I was always missing something when I played way back when.
You just need to know the system well enough to formulate battle strategies. Neither the game itself, nor the instruction manual will help. So good luck with that!

More generally, you want to keep the two storylines roughly parallel because there are points in the story where you'll be stuck using characters from both. Also, there's a battle at the conclusion of each that's complete bullshit, so don't enter the last dungeon until you've done all the grinding you need.

For all that, it's still the most polished, and most accessible game in the series overall. I regret selling my copy back in the day. The first Saga Frontier, not so much. Y'all are way nicer to that one than it deserves. It's 4/7ths of a good game at best.