Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Don't forget the best/worst boss fight music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
For anyone playing that Game of Thrones game that came out a few days ago:

How am I supposed to do the weird switch/lever/grid puzzle near the end of chapter 8?

I watched a walkthrough video, but the guy literally just like flips random switches and gets it. What are you actually supposed to do? :iiam:

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
One thing that I've noticed playing a lot of different RPGs, whether they be western, eastern, whatever, is that any main character/avatar/whatever is criminally inexperienced, whether it be because of amnesia or just being new to their environment.

Obviously, this is for the benefit of the player, as often in your first time playing an RPG you feel the same way as the character in question, adding to your immersion.

What I'm looking for, however, is an RPG where whatever character you play as or use the most often is the opposite; very experienced in whatever world or setting you're in. Think Final Fantasy X if you played as Auron instead of Tidus, or Planescape: Torment where you played as Morte instead of TNO.

Anyone have any recommendations?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I feel like Star Ocean 5 just flew under the radar this year. I just started playing it, and it seems pretty good, if sort of generic/inoffensive. Way better than 4, though, that's for sure.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Bought and played some Shining Resonance: Refrain since it was/is on sale for less than 20 bucks, it's kind of a mish-mash of JRPG and Anime stuff that they somehow managed to cram all into one box.

It's got a white haired spineless anime dweeb MC who has a giant sword and can turn into a dragon, it's got waifus for days (including a main antagonist that joins the party for no reason and with no explanation, if you play the DLC mode,) It's got Tales combat with the serial numbers filed off and less complexity, and so on. Just every possible trope and cliche you could think of with this kind of game.

Somehow, it's still working for me less than 10 hours in, but ultimately I'm still not really sure what to think of it. I guess it's brazen in its transparency and forthrightness about what it is, but if there's not much more depth than what you get out of the box it's probably not worth a lot of your time/money.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

How's Langrisser I and also II?

Coming fresh off of 100%ing this, took about 150 hours:

Overall, it's quite good for what it is. Story is surprisingly solid, especially in I. Compact, sparse, but interesting character development and worldbuilding. Multiple routes means you get to explore every character and their motivations in-depth, and from different points of view.

You'll take advantage of the ability to replay levels to grind a bit, and there's some flexibility after you beat one route and do new game + as far as whether you want to play on hard mode, carry over your stuff, etc.

Quite a good sense of character progression, since you keep everything you earn, (all character xp, money, items) leading to a strong sense of optimization in gameplay as you get more options per character and better stats.

Combat is a little swingy, quite a lot of RNG involved in damage numbers, surprisingly so for an old-school SRPG. Probably the biggest weakness of the gameplay overall, but once you're high enough level and have the top tier mercenaries it's little more than an annoyance.

II is quite a bit bigger in scope than I, at times it'll feel a little bloated when you compare them. II has more characters, more routes, more items, more everything. I is more lean and feels a bit tighter as an overall experience.

I won't deny it has some flaws, but better than the sum of its parts. Start with I, since II references it and has some returning characters. Would recommend, I put quite a bit of time into it doing all the story paths and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

god help me I actually like star ocean 5

What are you enjoying about it, so far? I bounced off of it after a few hours, seemed cute enough but kind of...super generic?