Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope Xeno 2 has the Japanese voices because the English voice acting in the trailers is loving terrible. They obviously had to choose between 'people who could do an English accent' and 'people who could act' and went with the former.

Reyn and Riki were easily worth using English voices for in XC. :colbert:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Look at Blue Dragon if you want the most generic.

You leave Kid Goku Clone #48937494695763 alone!

GrandpaPants posted:

Bring back Wild Arms and Suikoden and Shadow Hearts and Grandia and basically all the series that died with the PS2.

Not as pachinko machines.

Suikoden might've died with the PS2 but it was dug up and desecrated on the DS and PSP. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mill Village posted:

I think I want a baseball themed RPG now.

Baseball Stars has stats and you level up players.

CaptainScraps posted:

Suikoden could be a decent gacha mobile game. It must never be done

That one has never been made is mind-blowing, though in this dark reality we live in any Suikoden mobile game would probably be of the same quality as Breath of Fire 6.

...what's that? someone here didn't know that BoF6 is a thing that exists? Here, let me murder any fond memories you have of BoF 1-4 (and DQ if you're weird and liked that game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_A-h6KFObQ

e: (the game is shutting down in 2 days)

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 26, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it sounds insane but this is also a game where the most multipurpose character type and the only one that can use magic has four slots set aside for magic traits that have a chance to randomly mutate after each battle and there's no way to stop it from happening if it does, meaning the only way to be sure you can hold on to useful spells and resistances is to save constantly.

Which SaGa game is this, FFL3? Because in FFL2 and other SaGa games, the Mutant's bottom skill is the one that changes, IIRC. It's definitely that way in FFL2 at the very least.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Colonel posted:

ffl1. in ffl1 it's the top four skills. i don't think anything in ffl3 is that obtuse

Weird. It's been a long time since I played FFL1 but I thought it used the same "only the skill in X spot will get changed" mechanic.

Though the last time I played I just murdered much of the game with Super Punch. :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unbelievably White posted:

Equip your Relics (Magi in the original) to get immunities, and you'll need to specialize your non-monster characters. A number of bosses are also vulnerable to sleep and break effects, which you can get from the last town of world one. Also give Mask a serious weapon.

Yeah, the balance changes in the remake seem to assume mastery of the original game and a lot of the changes in presentation make it feel less exciting. I might be biased because I grew up with the original, though.

Does the remake rebalance bosses and characters or something? On the GB version Mask did just fine with his default gear, though giving him a longsword was a cheap a solid power boost for him too.

The best option is to give him a Punch with 1-2 uses left and that'll likely do enough damage to kill the boss on its own.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

jrpgs are at their core, power fantasies, and there's no bigger power fantasy than being an anime.

Conan of Cimmeria: the original anime..?

TurnipFritter posted:

Perhaps the real joke is that XCX feels more inspired by Western works than anime. The sequel baiting stinger at the end feels straight out of one of Marvel's projects.

"Sequel bait stinger" describes literally 90% of 12 episode anime series.

chumbler posted:

What jrpg series is maximally anime? I'm going with nep, though Disgaea is also up there.

Record of Agarest War.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

So what you're saying is that the most anime RPG is Project X Zone which contains both Super Robot Wars and Xenosaga.

Or Cross Edge for the PS3.

kirbysuperstar posted:

lmao if you think die hard isn't anime

Die Hard is the greatest Christmas movie ever made.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Taear posted:

Not in the way XCX did it. It's like the worst dragging on Anime bit ever. Too much, far too much.

I have to imagine that hell is an eternity of XCX filler cutscenes and Big Bang Theory episodes on a constant loop.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Taear posted:

it felt like I was keeping the same stuff for ages because of the buffs it had.

Because you were. Stat boosts on armor didn't seem to make nearly as much difference as some decent boosts, plus you had all the different damage types to contend with unless you were always using skells (why wouldn't you?) in which case you just buy the latest and greatest skell gear for your character to boost their mech stats while murdering your way through the game in an Amdusias.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

XCX's "you can use battle points you get for completing certain objectives to purchase monster drops, which you can use to craft stuff" was a cool idea, it's just unfortunate that it devolved into "go fight one of two global tyrants, tear off it's appendages, then cancel the fight" over and over and over and over.

Or "complete the fights because you think that's what you need to do and they require consumables to take part and getting additional passes is a bunch of awful grindy bullshit."

I don't think I'd ever heard of the option to cancel the fight as something worth doing. If that lets you keep the drop and re-enter the fight then the World Tyrant stuff was even more poorly thought out than I believed.

Overminty posted:

I need to play 3 and 5 some day.

Or maybe I'll just replay 2 again.

3 took way too drat long to give you Vicki and the warp mirrors. Travel in that game is tedious as hell and not getting those items (which are 100% optional I think?) for so long is just awful. Suikoden 5 is worth playing but it is very, very long. It's a shame that it couldn't save the series and that any hope the series had at continuing was brutally murdered by the DS game and then its corpse was kicked around a bit by the PSP.

As much as I'd love to see a new Suikoden I don't doubt that, at best, it would be some cash-grab F2P Japan-only mobile game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Taear posted:

Suikoden 5 was amazing, I'm so sad that it was the last in the series. It was long but it never felt long, to me.

The pacing in it was pretty good which helped a lot. The beginning felt slow to me initially but as you play through the game all that early setup makes a lot more sense.

Plus the early part of the game has wonderful moments like taking your sister (and Kyle) to meet Jeanne for the first time. :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

the hardest part about that quest is getting roadblocked by grinding. if you use the matilda gate glitch, gain a bunch of levels, and then die on purpose to reload a previous save with your levels intact, you'll be completely set re: stats and MP for more than half the game.

Suikoden's leveling system literally makes it so you never have to grind unless you're constantly running from fights though. :confused:

Sure, it has the side-effect of letting you do setups that can spike your level far above what you'd normally hit for the area (like soloing in the highlands to hit level 99 after a single fight with the right rune(s) equipped, or hitting level 65-70 on Tir in Neclord's castle in S1) but you're pretty much always at a sufficient level to clear an area without having to grind. Just swap around characters periodically so you aren't stuck with 1 good team and 2 poo poo teams for the night battle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

you are, but for clive's quest, you want to blow through all the areas as quickly as possible with as little trouble as you can manage. nothing says speed like one-shotting bosses with fourth-level spells that you shouldn't have until nearly the end of the game.

turning every encounter into Let Go instead of Parley or Run, and condensing every 5-10min boss battle into a single round (at least until the game balance expects you go have 2+ fourth-level spells on multiple characters in a single party) is huge and i think you're grossly overlooking how much of a difference that makes in your overall time.

I've used the matilda trick (and recruited Humphrey+Fitch since it doesn't break your game as long as you finish their quest) on runs before and know how useful it is. You can still do Clive's quest without matilda grind or regular grind though. And his quest is far, far less bullshit than the squirrels, since the first one is a star (IIRC) and I believe they become permanently missable after a certain point. Both ways to recruit them is utter bullshit too and I can't recall either method being hinted at in game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

suikoden 3 is pretty good imo. the worst thing about it is that you get the fast travel option in the literal last act of the game, which wouldn't have been a problem if it had a world map like the other games, instead of zones.

The pairing system it used for combat was kinda dumb. The mirror being so late in the game, coupled with how awful travel is without it, is definitely the worst part of the game though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

A new generation gets to experience the joys of criminally stupid party member AI and late game enemies that can not only stunlock you, but require counters(?) to damage effectively and you have to beat several waves of them the first time you meet them. :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Colonel posted:

berseria is absolutely the best game in the series and one of the best games this year

it's hard to know if you wouldn't like it without knowing what games you're lukewarm on because it's pretty different from a lot of them tonally

How's the PC port of Berseria? Done well or buggy and needs fan patches like Saints Row 2 did/does?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm looking for a good MMORPG to try out. I would prefer it to have a good PvP system. The only caveat is it needs to be able to run on an i5 laptop, so just a good laptop, nothing special. So low graphics demands.

Any suggestions?

EVE Online?

Heartcatch posted:

Uncharted Waters Online! Learn anime world history and trade winds while you... something or other. It's not bad, but not good either.

Everywhere outside of Europe is a pvp zone.

Unless this game has been changed completely since I last played it (5+ years ago?) it is s.l.o.w.a.s.h.e.l.l.

Libluini posted:

So wait, 1930's US-animation is anime now, too?

It's proto-anime. Old-school Mickey Mouse was a major influence on Astro Boy's design. :eng101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

In Shadow of Mordor the instant I unlocked the brand ability any remaining challenge was removed from the game since the only way I could possibly lose fights was by loving up royally, or through bullshit like a Caragor jumping on me and the QTE button press not registering, getting me insta-killed.

Overminty posted:

I'm a good chunk of the way through Suikoden 3 and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the changes to the combat system. I'm guessing they were put in place to counter against overpowered setups from the first 2 but they feel overly limiting (my main gripe is that combos with an odd number of members will force at least one character to do nothing).

Still enjoying it though. Characters are mostly likeable and though I was disappointed to find out the composer from the first 2 games didn't work on any of the later ones there are still some nice tracks. This one has wormed it's way into my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDk-qeOJgnw

The combat system is definitely a step backwards but there's still plenty of broken-as-hell characters and setups to use. The only downside is that one of the runes you want for physical powerhouses is a drop-only item that, IIRC, you can only get in a specific character chapter.

If you're playing through the series skip 4 and go straight to 5. If you think travel is even slightly tedious in 3 then 4 will make you yearn for 3's pace. I think Viki's even more out of the way in 4 as well.

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Hugo's is meant to be the "canonical" version of the story.

That's because he's the canonical hero* for that story. The game shows you that's intended to be the case, since Geddoe already has a True Rune and Chris gets one from her father.

*Flame Champion. However Thomas is the Tenkai Star like Tir/Riou/Mute rear end in a top hat/Sun Prince in the other games.

All problems in BG2 can be solved by:

A. Carsomyr/Dispel Arrows
B. Pierce Magic
C. Project Image

A Fighter/Mage or Cleric/Mage. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

wateyad posted:

Hold down a button for the correct length of time and then tap a direction while as close range with an enemy that you are targeting and which is targeting you then tap a direction to trigger a big fancy animation that puts you behind the enemy, sheds aggro and makes your next attack against that enemy auto-crit.

The animation is not, by default, invincible. It feels like a dodge technique but isn't.

If you don't hold the button for long enough then you get a dodge instead, the dodge also does not have any i-frames. If you hold the button for too long then you wind up in a dizzy state. There is no visual indication for how long you need to hold the button.

You may at this point be assuming that the button in question in some kind of block button, this would be mistaken. I like to call this button the unblock button as it leaves you immobile but without the percentage chance to block you'd normally get from standing still. (Its actual purpose on its own is to charge a gauge that gives you a super mode or multi-character combo thingy)

There is also an enemy you encounter later in the game that is nearly impossible to damage without using the blindsides or crits IIRC, and the first time you fight the enemy you have to fight several waves of them. And since your dodge/blindside moves don't have iframes those enemies will be more than happy to stunlock you and murder you after they've killed all your AI teammates since your teammates are completely worthless against those enemies.

I don't know what happens after that because I send the game back to Gamefly when I got to that bullshit.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Golden Battler posted:

Man, I beat SO4 and none of that rings any bells to me.

The first fight you have against those phantasm shadow things. I think it takes place on a beach when you revisit the starting world? I try to block all memories of SO4 tbh. I'd sooner replay Infinity Undiscovery than touch SO4.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

For those of you who don't know the SMT game for the Switch is SMTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvyCAFV9MbM

I've got a good feeling about RPGs on the Switch. :parrot:

...or will once SE announced DQXI's getting a Switch version, and when.

Zore posted:

I think its almost harder to find fantasy game settings where there aren't some random scifi elements. Its a really common thing in Final Fantasy to have robots, or have dungeons that are literally space ships. We already talked about most of the Tales series and Wild Arms, and there's also Phantasy Star, Lunar, Warcraft, Divinity, Might and Magic, Age of Wonders, Wizardry, Ultima, Etrian Odyssey, The Last Remnant etc that have random scifi stuff thrown in to a greater or lesser degree off the top of my head.

Ancient highly advanced civilizations are a more common Fantasy trope than probably magic or elves. It's much harder to list series that don't have it in some way.

More often than not, Fantasy is a post-apocalyptic setting of some kind. Even LotR had this (which is probably why so many fantasy settings do too).

Phantasium posted:

You drop it in a volcano so the lava overflows and builds a path you can cross.

It drops itself in a volcano. Because it's sentient and knows how dangerous a weapon it is. :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Phantasium posted:

God, I love Breath of Fire.

It's a shame that After the lackluster BoF5, BoF6 has probably killed the series forever. :sigh:

Kinda glad Konami is terrible and hasn't made a Suikoden mobile game yet, not that we'd ever see it in the west.

BadAstronaut posted:

I also have Final Fantasy VI but I'm not sure how much old-school random combat I can stomach at the moment.

FF6 on Steam is the mobile version so I hope you like Timmy's First RPG Maker levels of artistic quality. The only reason I can think of to play the mobile version instead of a SNES or GBA* version is that the mobile version made it so Cyan's skills charge after you select them, not before, so he's only marginally bad instead of actively terrible when you aren't using the pyscho cyan glitch.

* IIRC, someone found the GBA version buried in the files for FF6 on steam, so maybe there's a play made mod to unfuck the game's appearance.

Relin posted:

ive gotten to the point in tactics ogre luct where i do very little damage to inhuman enemies, and most things hit me for 80% of my hp. maybe the solution is to make all my equipment +1? i dont know if i have the heart for all that minmaxing. i dont think i'm overlevelled? this is feeling like oblivion all over again

ive played a lot of srpgs and this might be the worst, design wise.

How are your levels compared to the enemy? If it's anything like the original a 1 level difference can be huge when dealing with most monster-type enemies until late in the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dragon Quarter was to the Breath of Fire series what Suikoden 4 was to the Suikoden series.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The multi-unit instant resolution for turns in Suikoden was one of the things that I really liked when I played the first one. Seeing a turn based game with fairly chaotic combat turns was rad.

Sakurazuka posted:

Suikoden 4 didn't kill off the series

It actually did, just not instantly. Like Endorph said, despite S5 being a much better game it did very poorly, in no small part due to S4 being a dumpster fire set afloat on THAT loving OCEAN. :gonk: Though after 5's poor sales they made the DS game, which basically guaranteed the series was dead for good because holy hell that game makes Suikoden 4 and Dragon Quarter look like Chrono Trigger and Terranigma.

The only upside to Suikoden 4 was using Tim to destroy things with Soul Eater and a Wizard Rune combo.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's really hard to say how good this'll be since it's not the original developers.

This looks like the mobile game.

The White Dragon posted:

the best part of suikoden 4 is when the mycologists stow away on your ship and when you knock on their door they're like "who're you?" and you can answer them, "who am i? who the hell are -you-?"

yeah and then they bring killey of all characters, back to deepen the mystery of the sindar

Georg was an optional character in Suikoden 2 (though I think always joins at level 99?) and he's one of the main characters in 5.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 25, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kild posted:

World of FF coming to PC in 3 weeks. How was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52m0v2BscOQ

Do you like excessively slow combat?

Kild posted:

Last Remnant

Same, only I didn't even beat it once because it's so bad. The game is world class garbage and has the worst combat system I've ever seen. I've heard the PC version is better, and might not let you unknowingly ruin party members (like letting the 4 armed cat guy learn magic instead of staying pure melee), but it's still a fundamentally bad game.

I'd sooner play Suikoden 4 and Dragon Quarter than play Last Remnant.

WrightOfWay posted:

Tactics Ogre.

:frogout:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

they did and it was called last remnant

They said a real cool game, not a real piece of poo poo game.

Jack Trades posted:

Do any jrpgers with real-time systems even have the balls to make combat actually difficult, or at least including a proper difficulty mode? Because there seem to be a running theme with those types of games always being too easy.

I remember playing Summon Night: Swordcraft Story like a million years ago and it had pretty neat combat system but man was it way too easy, I ended up dropping it because of that.

If you aren't really good at a Tales game's combat system and play on the hardest difficulty you will get utterly wrecked. If you are good then fights can just take awhile, especially at the start of the game. Tales of the Abyss on Maniac was hellish when you started out and IIRC it only really got more bearable once you got additional characters like Jade (the best character :allears:).

If you're really good at the combat system you probably know how to infinite combo and/or stunlock everything. ...or you're playing multiplayer in which case you need to turn up the difficulty because 2-4 people going co-op in a Tales game will destroy it even if they don't work together at all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Colonel posted:

saga rules actually

It does and people who say LR is a SaGa game are crazy.

I know the PC version is better than the unmitigated shitheap 360 version but Last Remnant was still a garbage-tier game. Like Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, and most other Xbox 360-era RPGs that weren't Lost Odyssey.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Clearly I'm a crazy person since I got all achievements on the 360 version of Last Remnant and enjoyed it.

You absolutely are.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Can't argue with that.
Dragon's Dogma is a masterpiece.

I still vividly remember one hilarious moment when I was gonna shoot a lizard man with an explosive fire arrow that explodes on physical hits, missed and shot the ground in front of me, then one of the lizard men tried to hit me with a jumping attack but hit the arrow instead and was promptly knocked off the cliff by the explosion.

:stare:

I've always thought about buying this game and clearly I need to next time it's got a nice discount on steam.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm replaying suikoden 2 for the first time in about 15 years.

How is this game this good?

It's just the best RPG of that console (generation), with one of the best RPG villains of all time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Getsuya posted:

I’m not too interested in Hollow Realization, but I do actually want to try out SAO vs Accel World because I actually like the plot and characters of Accel World. Plus the action RPG style combat looks much better than the faux-MMO stuff from the Hollow games.

It’s really weird to me that AW and SAO have the same author because AW is basically SAO with most of its major flaws fixed.

What I've seen of AW included the main character directly referring to the VRMMO technology that made SAO possible. Maybe I didn't watch/read/play it enough but it seems awful likely that SAO and AW take place in the same world, since AW is set in the 2020s or 2030s isn't it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

I've always appreciated vic's willingness to go on message boards and engage in flamewars

I imagine that an internet fight between him and Derek Smart would be more than any website could handle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rascyc posted:

There's a gigantic dearth of good PC rpgs since Witcher 3 is pretty much it. What few have come out have been divisive really.

It's not like there were tons of earth-shattering RPGs coming out before Witcher 3. It's about the same pace now as before.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Divinity Original Sin 2 both came out after Witcher 3 and while I guess Shadowrun might be divisive (or not an RPG to some for whatever reason), Original Sin 2 seems to be pretty consistent in its reviews as being amazing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Crabtree posted:

So I guess outside of whenever the hell Tokyo Xanadu EX hits the states or Steam, what else is there, JRPG or otherwise, to look forward to next year? I'm kind of suspicious of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as I don't know if they'll just make it so generic that its tasteless.

Octopath Traveller. There's a demo on the switch and it is very promising.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

HGH posted:

What the hell?
Dumbass localization gameplay changes are so baffling. Come to think of it was 7th Saga's butchering of difficulty just to drive up rental sales?

As a kid I was so baffled by how loving powerful the other apprentices got when they weren't in your party. IIRC, the change was basically that your character (and anyone in your party) only every gets their base range of stat gains when they level. The NPC apprentices, when not in your party, got (the intended?) stat gains of base range growth plus level/10 or something. End result: Level 60 Lux in your party is lucky to have 4-500 HP. A level 60 Lux that you recruit in to your party has triple that HP and enough attack that they can one-shot the final boss if they defend-attack (and you boost their atk stat).

Also as a result of this, if you don't get the Star Rune by level 15-16, and the Sky Rune by the mid 20s (unless you can recruit the holder) you cannot beat the game because the apprentices will take almost no damage from you while being able to kill you in 1-2 hits. Being able to see and avoid encounters was nice but more often than not you just got swarmed and had to fight constantly.

Oh and 7th Saga also had a section right before the end of the game where if you save you game (and you almost certainly would) after a certain point you are locked in to having to do a boss fight that was decently tough in its own right even before you add in the boss having a chance to completely nullify attacks made against it. Want to grind to try and get better gear/stats to power through the fight? Well too bad. Load a save you have from before that point or enjoy starting over if you can't just get a bunch of RNG in your favor.

...it took me for loving ever to beat that game. Thank god you can level grind with a turbo controller and that I was able to recruit the Sky Rune's owner (Lux) after doing so because if i couldn't it would've been yet another restart.

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm thinking mostly of the bit where after chapter 1 you're asked to slaughter a town of innocent people and if you say yes the game says "ok, what does a story about the person who decided to do this look like"

Without knowing specifics of "shady poo poo" I guess it's hard to know if that describes what I'm thinking of? Tactics ogre law route has a pretty overt theme of "I've done some unquestionably awful things, but I am creating a better world by being the one willing to soak my hands in blood" and I thought that was really cool. Law denam is arguably not an evil person but he's certainly done and continues to do evil deeds and the relatives of those he's murdered keep showing up to remind him of that

Law Denam is definitely evil and I don't recall if he ever acknowledges the fact that he's no better than Lans Tartaros.

Even Denam's best route (refuse the slaughter then reconcile with your allies neutral route I think? IIRC that's the only one you could do things like recruit the 4 shaman sisters on PSX as well as recruit Kachua to eventually make her the queen) has a hell of a lot worse stuff than most of Destin's good routes in Ogre Battle, let alone the true ending for Ogre Battle (or Ramza in FFT). Maybe the PSP remake changed some of that but I just remember playing it on PSX and thinking that Denam's options are to become the monster he hates, or just do some slightly less evil poo poo than the people around him want to do to maybe/hopefully set things right.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

The PSP version makes the Law path the best option. Apparently they realized no one ever went law in the SNES/PS1 version, so they went to ridiculous levels of overcompensation: Ravness, the new character that they added and who was featured prominently in a lot of promotional material? Law exclusive. Half the post game stuff they added? Requires Vyse to be alive, so you have to do the Law path. Aloser/Arycelle, the overpowered Archer who used to be a Chaos exclusive? Now you can get her in the Law path. Ozma? Law exclusive.

I was reading the PSP version LP and recall hearing about all the blatant Law Route buffs it had, but IIRC the only reason (excluding story, I guess) to go the Law route in the SFC/PSX version was to get Haborym because Haborym was broken as poo poo with status effects. If an enemy could be petrified he could probably land it on them consistently because he had completely bonkers spell accuracy. I think he also managed to be a not-garbage attacker, despite sword master being kinda terrible in the original game.

Though in the end Dragon Magic still reigned supreme. Especially when used by a character that went through the reanimate+retissue process, or wielded a Snapdragon weapon...

Or both :black101:

U-DO Burger posted:

Getting new characters with unique classes in the LUCT postgame only to have to grind them up from level 1 was loving horrible.

The leveling and crafting systems in the LUCT remake are why I never played it and likely never will. If I need to pick between having two exorcists punch each other in the face, and healing occasionally, from level 1-50 while I'm asleep or the PSP's god awful system then sign me up for the Priest Fights.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

hate to break it to you, Haborym could be gotten in the Chaos path too in the PSX version, so there still was no reason to play Law. :v:

Law definitely needed a buff, but it's kinda silly how it's the only required playthrough if you wan't to do the post game CODAs.

Welp.

I don't think I've ever done a Chaos playthrough of LUCT.

wateyad posted:

I get the feeling that a new Skies of Arcadia would be one of those things where even if it happened and was good it wouldn't be what the people who wanted it wanted.

SoA suffers severe nostalgia. The story is cool and it has some neat moments but all of your random encounters is using Alpha Storm(?) and some auto attacks as the combat system itself is kinda... there. Any Skies game, new or remake, needs some serious QoL work.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Stexils posted:

honestly those graphics look like kind of a mild upgrade. though im sure the original was worse than i remember.

though 2/3s of nwn were boring as gently caress so i guess i can understand that they wouldn't put that much cash behind it

The base NWN game was one of the worst D&D games I played in the last 20 years (thought it wasn't as buggy as stuff like PoR2). Its saving grace was the toolkit it came with let people make good mods/campaigns and the expansions for NWN were much better.

IDK why this is getting an enhanced edition but maybe Beamdog isn't allowed to make BG3 yet. I guess this means we'll see a NWN2 enhanced edition though, which would be ok.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Beating up God has its own special appeal but every RPG does that, meanwhile precious few games outright deny the existence of one even though more should because I mean seriously, God?! Who believes in that!

The notion of having a fantasy and magic setting devoid of higher powers really doesn't work well though. Unless you're limiting it to entities that represent aspects of reality itself and not just higher-existence entities with tremendous amounts of power like the Douwd or Q in Star Trek: TNG then yeah sure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

You should get a 3DS (or 2DS XL?) over a Vita in general. Unless you want to play anime games that only exist on the Vita, I guess.

3DS is going to give you access to a metric fuckload of RPGs, and games in general, compared to a Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

SaGa games are bad and I wish people stop recommending them

SaGa and SaGa 2 are great games I will fite u.

SaGa Frontier was good too even though it was an unfinished mess. I'd love to see a remake completed version of it get released. Seeing Lute have an actual story, and getting to play through Fuse's story, would be cool.

SF2 was a mess though and the last battle for Gustav(?) was literally impossible to win if the enemy units moved before a certain turn and you didn't have your fodder setup in a way to ensure you'd delay them long enough once they did move on the latest turn possible. I guess Will's story was ok though. That he got stat gains after each time jump(?) was always welcome.

Getsuya posted:

They also locked Defense growth behind either wasting turns using a shield or using a single weapon only available late in the game. This puts it conceptually behind the original FF2 which at least leveled your defense/evasion through taking damage. I guess they figured that made it too easy?

I have never seen Defense increase in the Gameboy version of SaGa 2 by taking damage. In multiple playthroughs of the game I have only ever seen defense go up in fights where the character used a shield. You might be talking about the WS version because I am absolutely certain that FFL2 did not let you gain Defense from taking damage (and you definitely didn't gain agility that way).

Hell, I beat the game not knowing you could raise defense because I'd never seen it happen until a later playthrough.

The Colonel posted:

please report back on if the port will be worth buying for $5 in the 2020 winter steam sale

It's not. SO4 is real bad.

The Colonel posted:

it's not really the worst design i've ever seen but it's also not good and the only design i've really liked is the goofy jester-y robot

her design changes when you upgrade her though and i don't like it cause it just sort of makes her a mecha maid

I hope they call the upgraded version Mega Maid.

GrandpaPants posted:

I wish we had the mom grieving about the kid than the other way around.

Also, Secret of Mana has a steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/637670/Secret_of_Mana/

Multiplayer update – we’re not just adding multiplayer, but actually improving it too – now when one player casts magic all other players will be able to continue playing, without having to wait.

Oh my loving god, finally. This was by far the worst part of playing this game with others on the SNES. Especially when you max leveled a spirit and could trigger their special animations since that paused the entire game while the animation played out. Fireball turning in to fire dragons was pretty rad though.

Phantasium posted:

Pretty sure it still pauses when you go into the ring menu.

Nooooo. :cry: