Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Douche Bag posted:

Can I get some opinions on Eternal Sonata? I need a current gen RPG and it seems like all the good ones are on PS3 or Wii. Neither of which I own.

If you need a good one on 360, try resonance of fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
the thing about Atlus, I suppose, is that they make good characters, not necessarily good stories (although I thought the story in DDS1 and 2 are pretty fantastic, looking at it now), I enjoyed Devil Survivor because I felt worried about doing the wrong thing and having, like, Gin dying or something. and it's definitely not as bad as you're suggesting, just some endings that are better than others.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
DDS 1 and 2 are probably easier than nocturne as well, if only by a little bit.

Speaking of Nocturne, I restarted the cycle on hard, because I hate myself, and died in the 4th battle :v:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I liked the Devil Survivor story so don't let him get you down! Devil Survivor 2's coming soon, and though the character designs are atrocious (boobs do not stick straight up) excited for that too.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne has some pretty hard boss fights, but it's never unfair.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Persona 4 is the easiest and also the least depressing, so you should probably go with that. or Persona 3 Portable if you want something to go. Digital Devil Saga is probably a good middle ground where as SMT3: Nocturne is the hard one.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Rascyc posted:

The gameplay itself is still a lot of fun (combo attacks are still something that you don't see in many games, for some strange reason).

I kinda disliked the combat when I played it for the first time a year ago actually...I don't think I ever completed it either (I think I got to the floating kingdom or whatever and stopped). There's no real strategy to things that aren't bosses and a lot of the strategy for the bosses is very gimmicky.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
don't bother with tri attacks until you get 5-6 completed hexes, you mean; it's pretty vital later on. I'm not 100% clear on weapon customization, just that you won't need to do anything real crazy until later, you want to increase... the two circular weapon stat percentages mainly (weapon charge speed and something else). Special hexes are colored ones I assume, they'll dole ones that are important to you at the beginning of the chapter, normally.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Resonance of Fate was the best about battle music. They just had dungeon music and where ever you were, you would get different battle music based on the dungeon music.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
What's the best place to start with Disgaea? I only have a PS2 (well, none of them have come to the 360), but most of them have been on PS2 as far as I can tell.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Resonance of Fate definitely tosses you in right away, even to it's detriment; they really should have not let you get into battles on the way to the tutorials.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Papercut posted:

Somewhat related, I saw an FF XIII-2 demo on Live over the weekend and decided to give it a try. Despite my curiosity I turned the demo off within a minute of loading it up because everything about it was that bad. Like, the diction used in the combat menus was so offensively stupid that I couldn't even be bothered to try the game.

What do you mean? do you just mean the ravager commando stuff? because that's a really silly reason to not even try the game.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Papercut posted:

Everything about the paradigms was so offensively over-the-top that I immediately lost all interest in the game. "Double Trouble-X" and "War and Peace", no thanks.

There are many problems with XIII and XIII-2 (I didn't like 13 where I did actually really enjoy 13-2). That is seriously your problem? They have no impact on anything in the actual story or anything. It's literally just a name for the group of paradigms that you're currently using so you can more easily switch to them.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
what way is it blowing, exactly? you just said they were "offensively over the top", you never explained what that actually meant.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Considering you can judge a game just by a couple of dumb phrases (this is like judging a game is bad because they have some annoying after battle catchphrases) I don't want to bother trying to argue with you, but you're wrong. 13-2 does some pretty interesting things with story (I liked the ending and opinion on that is split so eh), it's a lot darker than the series has been for a while, there are pretty cool side quests and alternate endings...

those phrases are not representative of the actual game, considering those were made for the original 13, and they weren't even representative of that game either.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Wendell posted:

Just because you aren't actually dating the other social links doesn't mean they aren't using the same template. I'm sorry you played a game that has dating sim tendencies, I hope you can recover.

I think you have to make a difference between a game where you can not date anyone and still have the game progress and something like an actual dating sim where not dating anyone results in a terrible ending.

Calling it a dating sim is probably kinda reductive. It does have dating sim elements, but...

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I know nothing about Ultima except for the name and that Lord British made himself a character in the game (those were those games, right?). Why the gently caress would I automatically do a better write up against someone who hasn't actually heard of it? I only heard about it like 3 years ago mind you.

Maybe someone didn't know of ultima because he wasn't a PC gamer...? Are you going to get on his case when instead of Ultima, he played Earthbound or whatever?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Azraden posted:

Given the posts in this thread, I think you might have to.

So. Dragon's Dogma comes out in a few days, and I'm pretty much free 'til then. I've been wondering what I should finish while I wait. My choices are Nier (I think I'm about 1/4 through), Persona 4 (haven't started, but did watch Giant Bomb's endurance run), SMT: Nocturne (played until the first save point) or Legend of Grimrock (played about an hour). Any thoughts on which I should (or could, I know the SMT games are notoriously long) finish first?

Of course, this thread is starting to make me want to re-play Ultima 7 now too.

Playing through Nier (2nd time through is kinda required) will take roughly the amount of time it'll take to wait for Dogma, so I'd suggest that (also because it's the best game there but opinions)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
He never specified RPG specific game journalists, just game journalists in general.

I don't actually disagree with you in theory (yes game journalists should probably know about important games, though important is often different from person to person as I would say the original SMT was kinda important), but you just need to chill out, and game journalists don't need to get laid off or whatever just because they don't know a couple important games.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Kaleidoscope posted:

Could I get someone's two cents on The Last Remnant? I don't own a 360 but I've heard the PC version is more playable anyway. It's currently on sale on Steam for $18 and probably won't be discounted any further (not exactly the most popular or recent PC title and it's not part of any other bundles). Is this a game worth the time and money?

don't be so sure, I've gotten it previously for $10. I think that was a regular daily deal though.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been playing Persona 3 FES lately and I've been wondering if there are any newer more 'classic' JRPGs in existence. By this I basically mean one with a turn-based battle system. This trend of MMO combat in JRPG games isn't really doing it for me.

Any of the other SMT games on the PS2, if you haven't already played them, though the Raidou games are action based. Most of the others are rather hard by comparison though.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Sure; it's not great, but I had a fine time with it for 10 bucks and going in with everyone on SA saying that it killed their dog or whatever. Lack of dungeon variety is a bummer, but the game isn't really long enough for it to be that big of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

flyboi posted:

I'm still confused by the whole story or what was supposed to be a story. I think the KH universe makes more sense as well as being more understandable than DA2 and that is just sad.

Really? DA2's not hard to understand; mages and templars hate each other because of reasons, pick a side. It's badly done, sure, but come on.

It's not a good game but jesus this is why I actually enjoyed the game, because everyone on SA made it out to be one of the worst things that had ever been done to video gaming, when it's actually just a mediocre game coming off of a much better one.