Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good jrpg along the lines of SaGa Frontier? I loved both the sheer number of side characters available to the player and the large amount of customization fit into every nook and cranny.

Basically what I'm asking is if anyone can suggest a game with plenty of customization both in terms of party and/or mechanics?

Romancing Saga Minstrel Song for PS2 is the closest thing to Saga Frontier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Seiken 3 is most fun with a friend, that makes all the grindyness at the end getting that 2nd promotion a lot less tedious.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I like Soul Blazer a lot too. I don't think the games have any actual continuity, though they do reference Soul Blazer during Illusion of Gaia at some point.

Any idea if taking Kevin as Light/Dark will suffice for group healing? I was thinking of rolling Duran/Kevin/Lise to avoid having to use any sort of offensive magic.

If you have Multi-target Heal Light or w/e it's called then you're fine and that group owns.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

heiden posted:

I'd like to know if there's anything out there for me nowadays! My favourite RPG ever was Exit Fate and I like SRPG too(i.e. Vanguard Bandits but nothing braindead like Disgaea) and anime dungeon crawlers (but nothing like Etrian Odyssey where the entire game's difficulty depends on the player not breaking the game). The game should be challenging! Unlike in the FFT(A) series, I want to be able to not win a battle sometimes.

Also the game must be for the PC!

Try out Wesnoth http://www.wesnoth.org/

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Have you guys been thinking about what you're posting? Jobs stop getting points when you are too high a level for the area you're at... and this is an example of how grindy DQ7 is? No, I'm pretty sure it's an explicit anti-grinding measure. Not that it's a great thing that they don't tell you about it, I wouldn't defend that, but it's a way to punish grinding none the less.

The entire series after a certain point early on moved away from grinding as a strategy and DQ7 is no exception. Levels give poo poo for attributes and next to nothing in the way of skills (at least in the case of DQ7), with the focus instead being on equipment. Grinding barely helped in DQ7, to the extent that I feel very sorry about anybody who required and practiced it to overcome a difficult boss, instead of, you know, changing their strategies.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

dis astranagant posted:

In DW7, grinding is often a requirement for changing your strategy. You don't grind levels, you grind hundreds of battles in order to get the skills you want/need to get the job done.

Except... you don't? Like I said, I feel sorry for you, because it certainly wasn't a requirement from my experience.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Googling is useless for this as far as I've tried, but what rpgs out there have big huge epic towers? Like the ones in FFXII and Skyrim, or even as the setting of the entire game. I love towers.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Gyoru posted:

There's a new patch out for Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions that removes the animation slowdown that plagued the PSP port. There's also an optional patch that fixes the aspect ratio.

You need a PSP with CFW. Grab the latest LivePatch (0.1.3 at the time of this post) and wotl-patches.zip. Follow the instructions in the readme.

Patch downloads: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8490.0
Patch info: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8449.0

Video Instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7stkSsobPM

Now if someone would translate the Sound Novels on this version it would pretty much be the definitive version of FFT wouldn't it?

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

niggapolis posted:

Ok so I have been playing Romancing Saga Minstrel Song and its a lot of fun, but there is something driving me insane. I am playing as Claudia and I had to drop 2 party members for a quest, Barbara and Gray. Afterwards I was able to find Gray no problem but Claudia is nowhere to be found, ive checked the locations in a faq and searched a dozen times but still nothing. Is there some trick to re-recruitment im missing?

As far as I can remember, when dropping a party member and getting them back it does take a certain amount of in-game time, maybe hours, I don't remember, and even then it can be very random and you can get really unlucky about finding someone you want to recruit. So if you haven't done a lot since that quest you can go do another quest and then try again, and then just keep trying! Randomosity is really fun to me but it can be horribly frustrating some times!!

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Draque 8 if only cuz FF12s getting a HD port and P3 has better version on PSP

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Dragon Quest 8 no question. Especially if you love the old games. I have to ask, why would you even consider playing FF13 when you didn't play DQ8?

Also, if you didn't like the PS1 FFs or FF13, I really don't see why you would like FF12.

Because FF12 is completely different in so many aspects including gameplay, music, art, story presentation, dialogue, and the ever important FUN FACTOR?

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
I never got to the end of Last Remnant (I will when I get a better computer) but for all y'all lovin the tough last boss, it's really another staple of the SaGa games. Most of them are all about being prepared for the immensely difficult final bosses.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

McMyke posted:

Is there a list of rpgs that have classes or skill sets?

no

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
I would give controlling Arche a chance if you are up for it. I thought it was fun and couldn't imagine letting the AI do all the work.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
At least I can get a copy of the original genesis version for only 500 dollares

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Sakurazuka posted:

What order should the Kingdom Hearts games be played in? Seems like half of them are either remakes of earlier games or prequels or set between the main games and don't follow any obvious naming convention.

KH1
RE:COM
KH2FM+
RE:CODED
300 somethin days
BBS
3D

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
SaGa Frontier is still my favorite SaGa game admittedly mostly because of the aesthetic. If you're interested in playing a PS1 game with really cute prerendered graphics then you could try it out. It's basically the opposite of Unlimited Saga: it's fake 3d vs fake 2d, and the gameplay is quite simple while the story is incredibly nonlinear to the point of not knowing where to go next. But that's the fun of it I think, in exploring the cute world that was quite massive for it's time.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The thing that kind of frustrates me about a lot of more complex JRPGs is that they have a lot of very complex mechanics that work... more or less behind the scenes. My problem is not so much that they aren't visible enough, though that's part of it, it's that I think sometimes these designers go nuts making systems that the player can't actually do anything with. Sid Meier has this motto for game design: "Let the player have the fun". The point being that if you're making a game where the computer is doing a million complex simulations but the player isn't making meaningful decisions to match, you've designed a game where the computer is having fun, or the designer is having fun, but the player isn't. In some cases this can be cool, but for the most part it just annoys me. That's the crux of what got me with The Last Remnant. I don't really care how many spreadsheets you need to express how skillups work if all it means to me is "wait it out", or "always choose this guy and never that other guy", or something like that.

Thing is that perfectly describes Akitoshi Kawazu (the guy behind the SaGa games). He's sooo far up his own rear end when it comes to game design and it really is him messing around with w/e kind of new system that he can make and then how well he can obscure it from the player. He's always been interested in making things as mysterious and random for the player as possible. In SaGa games the usual choices in gameplay are the most basic and straightforward: Which character(s) to use and what weapon or magic to focus on. The stats and skills will all follow from those choices and not much metagaming and min-maxing is necessary or even possible in most cases. Unlimited Saga is about the only one that forces you to really learn how to manipulate the stats and why.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Radiata Stories was mediocre for me

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Zereth posted:

Did somebody mention liking bad music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsGaJ39dfs

http://youtubedoubler.com/gEmN

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

The Colonel posted:

you're literally playing the game chulip takes 99% of its cues from. you are playing a weird janky ps1 adventure game written by the exact same writer and director that makes tons of choices even he thinks are too obtuse

just to clarify chulip is not by the exact same director and writer, its by someone from the MOON team tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
i actually didn't know all that i just knew he was "on the team" for moon, thats really neat and makes a lot of sense!