Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

sethsez posted:

I wish we'd get another one of these on the PC, even as an indie game.

Well...there are some things out there banging along that include:

http://www.darklightdungeon.com/ Solo though, but the dev appears to be putting forth effort. Beta version currently out there that got a big update recently.
http://www.decklinsdemise.com/news.php Incredibly long in the making, but almost done as far as "expansions that essentially redo the source and then some with much content". Probably one of the things I'm most looking forward to in this regard assuming it can make the October release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

homeless snail posted:

The original release of Demise was fun, but a hilariously buggy pile of VB. One of the few Wizardry ripoffs with online MP too.

If they iron out the bugs and make the MP slightly less retarded, it could be the best RPG ever.

Well, the Decklin chap and his posse seems to be trying and supposedly they've been knocking out classic bugs that have persisted for years and whatnot inching at this Ascension release. I think there was some bits of art overhaul as well on top of fixes and new content but it has been awhile since I've lurked their forums.

sethsez: Have you already torn apart any of the mod-doings for the M&M games?

http://www.mightnmagic.glt.pl/ Or I guess maybe hope this one livens back up again...

I have to agree about all the throwbacks, Japan and otherwise, with the likes of Dark Spire, Etrian, Class of Heroes, etc---all chasing after something akin to early Wizardry or Bard's Tale then slowly working their way up in lieu of other latter stuff to springboard from. I...don't really get it either and hope it turns around from year to year.

Lately, my hope is on GoG releasing more old stuff along these lines, Wizardry 8, and so forth so as to, perhaps, garner a fresh new audience that missed it the first time around that will take to modding things up beyond what has slowly percolated over the years.

Ever try that Wizard & Warriors game that, as I understand it, is supposed to play something somewhat like Wiz 8 or so?

Edit: Ah, what about Underworld as a looong shot given some "old" tendencies?
http://www.classicgamesremade.com/

ExiledTinkerer fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 2, 2010

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Were there any good RPGs for the Gamecube besides Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Skies of Arcadia and Paper Mario?

Summoner: Goddess Reborn was pretty overlooked and not a short game, but it really came off as one that you needed a buddy to help with in co-op mode as the AI to manage your party was tricky as best.

Pretty much nothing like it on the system though, so I say give it a whirl/look into it if you find it at a good price.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
You have to plan it carefully, and almost certainly kill the early spiders first instead of letting yourself get taken to the direct meeting. Fire, acid, positioning are key alongside a bit of luck---gotta funnel'em best you can.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Oh wow, I'd almost entirely repressed Secret of the Stars...my rage at the whole Kustera/Aqutallian thing burns anew!

Granted, the game has some nifty moments and ideas, just far from ideal execution. From the grand well of forgotten properties, it is one of those I'd like to think would benefit the most from a proper revival/remake given what few things were there for the foundations so long as it was a competent team at the helm.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Spectral Souls: Resurrection of the Ethereal Empire has had a strange life---first the horribly hobbled PSP game, then they were one of the very first "bigger" outfits out of Japan to jump into iOS and whatnot with a, for those years on back especially, Very Premium Price for it/PSP-level port and actually did a fair number of updates to improve the game beyond just the loading times on the PSP original, and now finally carrying that to Windows Phone/8's app store thing that's interoperable.

I mean, after all the trouble they've already went to you'd think they'd just try to finish it all out on PC with a Steam release proper for Win7 folks and whatnot---but there's just no telling I suppose. I definitely wish more of the niche titles that landed back on the PSP all those years ago could've pulled a similar set of fates versus being dead and dusted...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

RadicalR posted:

So is the game any good?

Mainly, it is weird and perhaps a case of ambition/reach exceeding grasp. The whole "invent your own moves" thing, for instance, is one of those crazy ideas that makes you think "You know, they could be onto something here/why hasn't this been done before---sure would be nice if an outfit with tremendously more resources and substantial budget decided to springboard off of this...". There's just slim to no Grand Strategy RPG-ish things these days otherwise comparable to this unless I've totally missed the boat....the old days of Dragon Force and Brigandine being about it aside from some niche bits here and there.

Odd as it sounds, I guess see if the manual from the PSP game is online someplace and if the contents within sound OK combined with the fact that things are absolutely improved outright compared to just the PSP edition---probably worth a shot outside of just waiting to see if they finally go for a "normal" Steam edition that might well update it even further.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
HD Romanticore alongside all of those improvements means this remake can't fail---fantastic that they seem to be putting forth a significant effort on this!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

EllEssDee posted:

Anyone know of a dungeon crawler game on the PC with random loot? Been looking for one (Minus the might and magic games) but can't seem to find one. I'd rather it be a first person dungeon crawler like Etrian a odyssey, wizardry etc. I'm starting to believe one doesn't exist.

If that's really the defining thing you're after, regardless of jank, well, there's always Verlies II~

http://store.steampowered.com/app/371220/

The first update is promoted with a cat pic, nothing can stop it in this waking world.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Breaking up something like this just seems like one of those things liable to backfire in posterity, presuming it can escape the spectre it creates of not being all it could've been due to rushing/fading hard at the end/being uneven.

Trying to think of an example of something that would've likely fared far better had it been done up cohesively as far as a substantial RPG goes---I guess El Dorado Gate?

I suppose it says something that, for whatever slim confidence folks had in S-E to pull off a Big Project like this all things considered, breaking it up into episodic or even multi-game doings manages to nigh instantly erode that----what a crazy history this company has made for itself.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

does anybody else in the word like the weird psp d&d tactics

I like the potential it has in another, hmm, decade or so when hopefully some sort of modding initiative for it can crop up and greatly mess around with things. Just about the only thing with Psionics since Dark Sun~

History would've went down so differently if only they'd had a PC port for posterity if nothing else, same mess all over again with Mazes of Fate and that one Warlock of Firetop Mountain game for the DS that brought the machine to the brink.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Lucas Archer posted:

Anybody ever play the old SSI game The Summoning? It was an isometric RPG that cast you as the savior thrown in the Labyrinth of the Shadoweaver (awesome name), and must defeat that evil sorcerer in order to save the world. The labyrinth is enormous, with over 15 giant floors (if I remember correctly), with quest objectives that send you to multiple floors to complete. Spells are casted using a system that requires memorizing hand signs and using them at the right time. The great thing is if you already know the hand signals for a spell, you don't need to find a parchment telling you so! The labyrinth is full of NPC's, some who will help you and others who will attack you. Still others will try to get you to do their dirty work for them and betray you in the end. There are hundreds of traps, including some real dick moves like teleporting you into a room that has no exit. Time to reload!

I remember the manual had a really long editors note as well, which is something weird to remember, but there it is. It also had a short story that served as the intro to the game - it can be found http://www.jaelus.com/thesummoning/.

Anyway, if you can find a copy and use Dosbox, it's a gem of a game that I think sometimes is criminally overlooked when thinking about past RPG's.

The real legacy to this is the utterly fantastic Intro/character creation sequence complete with the excellent original musical score leading into the first 30 seconds of the game---then all of that grandeur fades to absolutely nothing, music included for god knows why, until it comes roaring back for the various cool ending sequences. The entire meat of the game is a lo-fi punishing crawler that is full of deviousness.

There has never been a game that has made a stranger decision on why and how to budget and "implement" their art/animation/music budget to my knowledge---it was like they only had the fleetest of access to some serious talent on all fronts. Though, I've not played the other 2 games somewhat connected to it, one from earlier and one afterwards whose names escape me.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I really do hope Anima actually arrives in a decent state if only to further prove there is indeed value in adapting P&P for gaming outright beyond the old shadow of D&D and little else---they ran a dark horse crowdfunding campaign, but the passion seemed genuine despite all the usual troubles along the way after the fact. The gist of it was something akin to DMC/GoW/etc, but with ample more fleshed out RPG trappings as opposed to a Diablo killer of any stripe. Looks like they seriously need to update their actual site unless all the action of late has moved onto their Steam assortment or something...

It would also be nice if it somehow managed to spur more of the P&P line actually getting translated into English for the renewed spotlight, even moreso if handled in a much better and comprehensive quality this time around.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Copper Dreams, by the small team that made Serpent in the Staglands, is supposed to be drawing rather heavily from the general Grandia combat system among others.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Reminder that Langrisser IV got sorted out awhile back, even if III and the rest still unfortunately remain in limbo:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1711/

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Sarengar is just largely a love letter project to the extreme, IIRC he floated it by Halford awhile back and all was well and bemused.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Vaporum has a prequel thing coming soon that seems promising, though the game itself is a bit different vs Grimrock.

Arakion chugging on along in Early Access with momentum seemingly reclaimed after slipping, Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon should finally escape Early Access somewhere in these next few-some months and is presumably the great hope.

Wish I could say I was surprised that the BT IV DC still has a mountain of problems to it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Children of Morta has extremely strong aesthetic, some excellent/evocative music at times, and the big assortment of updates and DLC that will trickle through until about the end of 2020 should put it in a very fine place indeed.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/330020/announcements/detail/3588737457825822644

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Forever holding out hope for El Dorado Gate all done up---or some kind of duct-taped Frankenstein apparatus for all of Linda Cubed. Unsure if it is more or less depressing to try to reckon What Remains by Platform, Genre, or Era...

At least Moon is one old, if questionable, dragon finally situated.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Vaguely remember Clash of Heroes? An uncommonly seen Eng/Viet combo game apparently also has against all odds for the coming future and it surely looks nifty.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1479810/Legendary_Hoplite/

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I seriously hope they expand the Martial Arts Arc as while the brevity for all the disparate was somewhat baked in, especially for the Ninja Mansion, it was just painful how much more there felt like there could be for it especially.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Mystery Option yet to come:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2023440/Jettatura/

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Star Ocean, at least early on at the relative peak, was/is the ultimate example for disconnect between Their Reach and Their Grasp in design and all else---they were Onto Something(s), but alas~. I maintain hope that one day the romhacking community will somehow greatly disentangle at least the first game and try to bring out the convoluted potential within, not unlike CircleOf8 and then Temple+ did/do still for Temple of Elemental Evil.

I still hold out faint hope they one day get enough new blood to shoot for a full on Sword & Planet game, as nobody has been more set up to enable such as a proof of viability beyond the P&P realms in the prevailing times yet constantly fallen back on their original shrinkings from the challenges.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I desperately want more pirate RPGs :negative:

I feel like that's a subgenre that should at least have indie games or something, but I have yet to see them!

Dreams can eventually manifest after a fashion~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1691750/Sky_Oceans_Wings_for_Hire/

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1638230/XuanYuan_Sword_Mists_Beyond_the_Mountains/ Believe* in the low chance of a decent English loc this time~

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The chance may be low, but I really hope they can land the classic Dai series rendition soundtrack as a base as opposed to the one for the full story remake series---still probably the highest fidelity/aesthetic DQ themes have ever quite sounded.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Some folks endeavoring to sip from Ys after a fashion, not unlike that other one trying to drink from Skies of Arcadia: Angeline Era

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2393920/Angeline_Era/

quote:

Angeline Era is a fast-paced 3D Action RPG filled with intense boss fights! Hunt down Sinners in an esoteric land of Angels and Fae, as you slash and shoot through ancient and futuristic dungeons filled with outrageous hazards, charming creatures, and unholy abominations.

Bump into enemies to automatically attack--no attack button needed! This fast-paced and athletic combat experience is easy to pick up, but difficult to master. Intense boss fights will test your skills!

Explore the nonlinear overworld however you’d like. Challenging, ancient dungeons sit near quiet forests, each filled with outrageous hazards, charming creatures, and unholy abominations.

Hunt down the greatest Sinners plaguing the esoteric land of Era. Within an intertwined history of Angels, Humans, and Fae, seek the truth of Angeline Era!

Fast-paced combat combining buttonless Bumpslashing, ranged gunplay and jumping!
Eclectic levels filled with moving walls, deadly volleyballs, sentient hammers
Inspired by action throughout gaming history, from the early Ys entries to Elden Ring
Mix and match upgradable weapons and armor for alternate playstyles
A nonlinear world! Explore freely, and search the overworld for hidden levels and secrets
A challenging core experience, with multiple difficulty and approachability options
A world influenced by Irish fantasy and arcane Christian myth
From the creators of Anodyne 2 and Sephonie, Melos Han-Tani and Marina Kittaka!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ghostlore has heart, and an atypical backdrop.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1783280/Ghostlore/

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
MythForce, which is nearly* there on finishing out EA.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The nigh eternal impossibility seems to finally be on the relative cusp of happening: Secrets of Grindea is nearly done and coming to Steam and such

https://www.secretsofgrindea.com/index.php/blog/12645

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Grindea trailer, with the amusing contrived implication that, should this have been roughly The Plan all along internally---they only actually then had release slip by them a couple shy of a handful of times in terms of how calendars work out compared to most normal game projects~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRKdOxKcRT0

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
New dungeon crawler RPG of sorts apparently coming soon'ish in Q2: Dawn of the Ashen Queen

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2809820/Dawn_of_the_Ashen_Queen/

quote:

"Dawn of the Ashen Queen" is a classic grid-based, first-person dungeon crawler reminiscent of 90s RPG games. Set out with your party to reveal the legacy of a millennia-old curse in a narrative-rich experience. Explore the colorful world of Eshavon, unearth its many secrets and fight dangerous foes sent out to stop you on your mission.

Explore your Fate

Three years have passed since Eshavon was devastated during the Grand War. A shaky truce has been concluded between the Darok tribes from the north and the Imperial Kingdom south of the Blistering Mountains. As an Emissary of the Grand Marshal, you are spreading his will, tasked to oversee the reconstruction.

But as you visit one of the border towns, a surprise attack devastates the city and cuts you off from the rest of the empire. Together with a band of unlikely allies coming to your aid, it is now upon you to avert the danger to the empire and discover a plot that threatens not just your earthly kingdom but the very existence of the entire continent itself.

Key Features

In-depth RPG character creation with multiple races, classes and traits, a point-based ability system and several class-based skill trees.
3 NPCs join your party throughout the game, all with their own personality.
Fleshed-out narrative driven gameplay with text-based cutscenes, dialogues and party banter bringing life to the world and let you experience an immersive story with twists and turns.
Plenty of secrets wait for you to get discovered: secret doors, illusionary walls and puzzles to test your wits. But beware of devious traps, which lure careless explorers into their death.
Real-time based combat where you fight your foes with a wide array of sharp weapons, powerful spells and cunning abilities.
Explore the diverse world of Eshavon: Travel through lush forests, deep dark caverns, blistering ice mountains, mysterious crypts, fog-covered woods, ancient halls of a long-forgotten race and plenty of other colorful environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Have positive Vague Elder Memories?

Amenable to Jank*?

There exists a Something, specifically, A Sequel To A Something To Come~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2907890/Wizzerd_Quest_64/