Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I really want to play an RPG (preferably jRPG) with a setting outside of the standard fantasy fare. Can anyone recommend some? I've already played all the FF's, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1, Shin Megami Tensei 2, Persona 2&3, Grandia, Front Mission 3, Snatcher (not really an RPG), KotOR 1&2, Fallout 2&3, Lost Odyssey, Deus Ex, Septerra Core, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 2, and Star Ocean 2%3.

One of my first Final Fantasy memories is the opening of FFVI with the panorama of the Imperial City; that and FFVII's Midgar really left an impression on me. I think that those two cities were some of the coolest creations in video games, and it was a shame that the player didn't get to explore them more, imo. So I'm hoping someone can maybe point out a game that I've missed that has that kind of setting that you get to explore at some point. But speaking more broadly, have I missed any good higher-tech-than-feudal-setting RPG's?

This is a good question. I'm going to tell you right now, I have never played any of the 'Tales of' series. But they're generally considered great RPG's by the goons here and I think most of them have a non-medieval setting in the typical sense. Though this might be a bit of a stretch.

And do try the Suikoden series even though it's set in a medieval setting. 1 is loaded with typical fantasy elements, however I think in 2 they drop most of that.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Which Final Fantasy is better, 7 or 8?

Skip that poo poo and play Tactics

Seriously though, I personally like VII a lot better.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm looking for an RPG that has a setting kind of like GRRM's ASoIF. By this I mean: magic still exists but it's limited i.e. no magic missile every two seconds, political intrigue (backstabbing courts are fun!), it has mostly not annoying characters, human-dominated world, grey morality, and zombies would be a cool.

I can think of a few examples that have been pretty close: Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragonage: Origins, Mount and Blade. Does Thief: The Dark Project count as an RPG? Probably not, but I'll put it up here anyway.

None of the above games match exactly what I describe, but they come pretty drat close.

I realize this is a stupidly tall order, so if nothing comes to mind, recommend me an RPG with an awesome mage or wizard character you can get in the party.

Examples of this: Chrono Trigger has Magus and in FFI the Black Mage looks badass :colbert:

edit: VVVVV That sounds promising, I'll take a look at it.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 10, 2010

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

You are looking for exactly The Witcher

And to think I was actually this close to getting The Witcher anyway. How is combat in The Witcher? I looked up a few videos and it looked pretty fun and engaging, but some people in this thread have complained about it.