Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Claven666 posted:

Then, there's King's Field. It is extremely hard to get the ball rolling with these games as your character always starts of pretty squishy, but every entry I've played has been extremely imaginitive and engrossing. The games take place in a very dark fantasy setting where humankind has to scratch out an existence while horrible monsters roam the earth trying to slaughter them. The game stresses exploration and discovery, and like most true "open world" games you're barred from the more advanced areas by monster strength, though some places are locked by magic or items. The graphics and game speed of the first King's Field are bad/slow but it is worth playing just because there is a relatively large amount of game to explore.

The King's Field series are amazing and I love them to this day. So many great memories with those games. That leads me to it's spiritual successor:

Demons Souls
This game is amazing. Dark, difficult, deep, beautiful.

Other favorites are:

Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy 2 (yes, TWO, not three)
Shining Force 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Sakurazuka posted:

I was amazed when I found out that this was a popular opinion here, SoM is one of the best SNES RPG's and Evermore is a pale, boring imitation with dull, never ending mazes.

truth, SoM is epic. One of the true pillars of the 16 bit era and to this day one of the best RPG's in existence.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

bloodychill posted:

Not everyone hates random encounters though. I don't mind them up until the endgame when I'm just going around doing end-gamey stuff which is exactly when that "turn off random encounters" feature becomes very useful. Note that it also let you increase encounter rate and encounter speed letting you grind at a million miles and hour if you wanted as well.

I quite like random encounters.