Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm about to dive into Final Fantasy 13-2 for the first time in preperation for Lightning Returns. Any advice as I begin my journey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Amppelix posted:

If I had my way all JRPGs learned from this school of design, but sadly BoF3 Ryu there is only the mildest of mild cases of weird clothes.

Ummm, everyone knows that the more you add to a character the better they look!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I heard people were poo poo talking Legend of Mana so I rushed over as soon as possible.

Legend of Mana...

is good.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

This guy gets it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Ciaphas posted:

I've been going through the last dozen pages looking for opinions on Tales of Zestiria 'cos I'm bored and haven't played a Tales since Vesperia--thoughts, anyone?--and stumbled on

I haven't played a ton of Tales games, but Zestiria is hands down the worst. The story line feels half assed, with huge plot holes and continuity errors towards the end. It feels rushed, and large parts of the game have clearly been removed. The systems they establish early for how the world is supposed to work quickly just disappear, and the equipment system actually felt like it was punishing me for getting a new piece of gear.

I would suggest that you not waste your time with it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Zereth posted:

A character in Xenoblade, who had literally shot a character I had to bring to the mission to get it to start in the back before and calls herself "Murderess", forcibly signed me and that character up for a mission, then to nobody's surprise turned on us, then we let her walk off and fought her flunkies, then the resolution of the mission was "Guess she got us good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" and now I can now take her as a party member rather than "okay now it's time to send her to jail and/or the morgue".

:psylon:

It's cool. Mimeosomes.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Verranicus posted:

Went to a used game/movie store today and picked up copies of Tales of Xillia, the Tales of Symphonia bundle, Resonance of Fate and Vanquish for 70 bucks total. I know another store that has Xillia 2 and a bunch of Atelier games, if I decide I want to use the rest of my birthday money on that, too.

If you like the characters in Xillia even a little bit, pick up Xillia 2. It's more of the same but does a lot more character development and has some great skits.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

The Colonel posted:

what is the most relaxing town music in all jrpgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4uR39jNeGE

Um, it's right here in the name guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPrm1nrkZ3k

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

The Colonel posted:

i don't really have a source, i was just talking about how few random encounters i run into playing skies of arcadia with someone and they mentioned that people toyed around with how movement affects the system and found that even just slightly wiggling the joystick made encounters happen more often than just running in a straight line did

I feel like this is the case in a lot of RPGs, and while it may just be nonsense superstition, I always assumed it had something to do with moving through multiple coordinates at once. Like, if you're moving in a straight line, you're only moving along one axis and your location is changing very linearly, while if you're moving in different directions, especially with analog control, you're cycling though a wildly different set of coordinates very quickly, and if encounters are based on a number of coordinates traversed you'd get in battles more often.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm about 8 hours into FF15 and I'm a little disappointed. So far it has just felt very bland, especially the systems that have been introduced. The skill system is basically nothing, and the ascension system is straightforward and unexciting. The weapon "mod" system just seems to be a set of weapons with fetch quests attached to them . The combat system has been passable, but has me constantly feeling like it just needs a little bit more. Its like they tried to make a DMC or Bayonetta combat system combined with like the witcher or something, but just didn't go far enough in either direction. Maybe some more stuff will open up, I don't know. Pretty down on it right now.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm gonna start playing Final Fantasy 2 tonight, what is the best version to play?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

I have no choice. My New Year's Resolution was to finish the four Final Fantasies I haven't.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll probably be back in a week asking about one of the other three games I have left to beat.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Zaggitz posted:

The thing that made me almost get FFXV is that I heard you could buy tapes at the truck stops for your car that are all old FF music. It wasn't enough, but close.

Don't bother, the FF11 tape doesn't even have the San d'Oria theme.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Zaggitz posted:

Oh gently caress, that's awesome.

But you can't listen to your Walkman while riding a Chocobo, which is a large amount of travelling around.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Zaggitz posted:

Why the gently caress would I want to listen to anything but the Chocobo Theme while riding a Chocobo are you even HEARING yourself right now dude

I give this games Chocobo theme a 6/10.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Atelier Sophie worth $20? Lookin at it pretty hard, I need something new to play.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Just started Atelier Sophie, any advice going in?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
So, uh, Atelier Sophie seems a little rough around the edges. I just got the refill ability and the tutorial had a screenshot inside my house that had a character that I'm guessing is a story spoiler. Sloppy.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Sakurazuka posted:

There's not really a lot of story to spoil tbf

Yeah, there's like one thread at this point and they messed it up.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Best PS1 game

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Tired Moritz posted:

Can we all agree that Akechi did nothing wrong

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Levantine posted:

Anyone playing .hack//G.U. Last Recode on PC have a volume 1 complete save you'd be willing to share? I crashed and lost a lot progress (forgot there was no auto-save) and I realized I don't really want to go through Vol. 1 again. But I would like to import good stuff to Vol. 2 since I haven't played that one!

How has the game been running for you? I want to pick it up, but a crash like that makes me wary, and another friend told me they've had a lot of slowdown and audio desyncing in the cutscenes.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Just beat LoH: ToCS 1 and, uh, wow, I feel like they were doing their best to suppress the anime boiling in their blood the entire game and then in the last, like, 2 hours they couldn't stand it anymore and all the built up anime poured out all over everything and the game became a mess and hilarious and I regret nothing.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Wait, you all like BLADE? I love card games but despised that one so much I would try to lose as fast as possible, which ended with me winning about 50% of the time because the game is so random.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Nate RFB posted:

I can't think of a single game where I would repeat missions over and over again to get better grades. Unlocking T.T. in Diddy Kong Racing or getting cheats in GoldenEye is about the closest examples that come to mind. I only have so much time for a given game and more often than not I'd rather just move on to the next one unless those better ranks unlock more story/content.

It seems you were never an 11 year old that only gets a new game on birthdays and Christmas then!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

chumbler posted:

Also the random names the game comes up with are great.

I named my cat after a disgaea random npc name. The name was 'my name is too low' which became Tulo the cat.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I've been filling in the gaps of Final Fantasy games I haven't beaten and I only have 3 more to go. I'm currently playing through FF3 and I actively want to kill myself.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Flavius Belisarius posted:

drat, sorry you don't like good music

Unfortunately I don't get to hear the music because the game is so slow I have to run it at 4x to stay sane and the audio gets garbled so I have to mute it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Ethiser posted:

The real question is if you are playing FF3 on NES or 3DS/PC because one of those is a horrible nightmare.

DS version on PC. I'm over halfway through and then I only have two more games to the finish line: FF2 and FF6.
Somehow FF6 will be the last game I play. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Elephant Parade posted:

the face of nightmares. if you don't know it yet, you will soon

My current screen. I haven't done anything yet. How angry am I about to be?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Elephant Parade posted:

It depends. If you're lucky, some of them will use physical attacks and you'll live. If you're unlucky, you'll eat triple Lightning and wipe instantly from full health.

They actually all died to Souleater without attacking, so, hooray!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I beat Final Fantasy 3 and almost cried at the end when I realized I never had to play Final Fantasy 3 again.

On to Final Fantasy 2, what version should I play?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

dis astranagant posted:

Do you want the authentic proto-SaGa experience or do you want something playable?

Please god give me an easy breezy playable version after FF3DS so I can make it to another birthday. I honestly feel like FF3DS was one of the worst RPGs I've ever played and I love hard RPGs and always ramp up difficulty. What an awful, awful game.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Thanks for the advice. I'd already somewhat started down this path on my own. Show me an early enemy that is super hard and I'm not moving past it until it's dead, so I farmed Captains all day at work. Playing the GBA version on my phone. I also understand I need high level toad for some optional stuff later?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

cheetah7071 posted:

I played FF2 on GBA without knowing anything going in and it was easy. Breaking the game seems overkill.

It's hard for me to focus on the game at work, but easy to hold a button down and grind, so that's kind of what's happening. This is my third FF game in less than two weeks so I'll be happy to breeze through it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

credburn posted:

Not to diminish what Scrublord says, because he seems to know what he's talking about, but I will say that I played FF2 without knowing anything beforehand, I played it pretty casually, I did use a map because I got frequently lost but otherwise never needed any other help. I thought the game was balanced just fine. Never had a problem. (Dawn of Souls version, just to be clear)

I am going to destroy this game to get vengeance on FF3. I just got Toad to level 16 at the entrance to Fynn.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Let me clarify, I did that grinding while at work and in queue for League games and watching stuff. I mostly just held the A button while my character cast Toad over and over and I did other stuff.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

The White Dragon posted:

That's still hard life poo poo because the only mob in front of the first town that can get you to lv16 is the 2x mantises, and Toad starts landing on them pretty quickly.

maybe if you buffed them with aura lol

I was just casting it over and over on the same party member, it still worked even if he was already a toad.

Tired Moritz posted:

what job do you have that lets you play league

I should have separated those - I grinded at work, and then when I got home I did it during queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
It is done. Only FF6 remains.