Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Reminds me of how Breath of Fire 2's fan translation caught flak for being full of smirking innuendo before some people checked the Japanese script and discovered it really was basically Dick Joke: The JRPG.

They've surely seen the final boss. I mean that guy ain't subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No rival character will ever be better than Gary Oak.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not quite Crush 40 tier, but solid nonetheless.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No english dub casting and direction decision will ever be better than Brooklyn Labrys.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have to admit I was also pretty unimpressed with Dragon Quest Heroes. I didn't care about the monster summoning gimmick and the gameplay felt too slow for a musou game. Also they put in common enemies who block and cause blow back and that is super dumb for this type of game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe so they can act like they're being principled next time a pose gets changed somewhere?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

Cigarettes are instant R in movies.

Wait, really? I mean I know cutting down on smoking is a good thing overall, but still.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FF15 might be one to wait a bit on because they are going to patch in some significant story stuff.

lets hang out posted:

my friend have you heard the good news about nep

I think that news is less "good" than "kind of okay enough I guess".

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

My first Nep game was VII, and it was pretty janky and mediocre, with unbelievably annoying dialogue. I think it might be you whose experience of the games is colored by the earlier ones being bad, VII is alright but by no means good or worth full price

I think nep games are like Kingdom Hearts. You don't really play one without already knowing what you were signing up for.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Most of the neps are easy enough to figure out, but what is Plutie supposed to be?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Somebody convince Uwe Boll to make a Nep movie.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

I think I would've liked XCX way more had it only been sidequests with no hollow main plotline

I mean the main quest is like 10% of the game, so it pretty much is that already. I hope that game gets a real sequel though, because it had good mechanics that need a bit more iteration and they can't just end on a "What the hell is going on here" cliffhanger like that. XCX really got its hooks in me and I want more.

Also they need to not listen to the people who complained about the music, because those people are wrong and dumb.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The main theme, town and briefing themes, and the tyrant theme were my favorites. And yeah I'll grant the ambush one wasn't great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There is also the Nep srpg, because every genre needs a Nep game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe the game about magical military high school students in school uniforms contains anime. Pretty hosed up, if you ask me.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 22, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I can't wait until first screenshots of CS3 Laura. She better be swinging that sword one handed.

The logical progression would be the old triple sword claw hands, but they're claymores.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

X-2 has a handful of good songs (real Emotion, 1000 Words, Memory of Lightwaves, final boss theme, Yuna's Ballad), none of which you will hear very often.

The songs you are subjected to for most of the game are terrible, including the worst normal battle theme all series.

The X-2 random battle theme rules, actually.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No respect for Nepgya?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing I see when I think of the recent Star Ocean is that one character's incredibly creepy face that doesn't match the environment at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Probably takes titty witch an hour every morning to put that thing on.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Don't let her intimidate you. Start playing the Neptunia series and give her your best "whatcha gonna do about it" look.

This is the correct answer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

bloodychill posted:

All the adults in HP were really varying degrees of lovely except maybe the Weasleys and that spacey botany teacher.

I don't remember McGonagall doing anything particularly bad. But yeah mostly they were lovely.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

He also tried to abandon his pregnant wife to go on an adventure and only didn't because Harry wouldn't let him.

Fat lot of good it ultimately did him and his wife.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

I have no choice. My New Year's Resolution was to finish the four Final Fantasies I haven't.

I mean you don't have to. Not that I'm not in a glass house here since I'm playing through the Neptunia series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xenoblade Chronicles X soundtrack rules, just as most of the rest of the game does.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah mainly XCX was just a fun world to be in and moving around in it felt good. I think I sank around 90 hours into it doing side quests and still hadn't really touched the post game stuff or any of the super weapons. That game hit a whole lot of the right buttons for me, and I'd love a sequel that iterates on the good parts and fixes some of the issues I had with it. I also want to know what the hell is up with that planet.

I also hope they ignore complaints about the music because those people are wrong and dumb.

Edit: The fast travel also helped immensely with that game's staying power. More open world games need to learn that lesson.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 7, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I forget if this was known before, but Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure will be released on steam on February 7.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I got owned a few times by the witch boss summoning more adds than I could deal with, until I noticed the weak to hidden artes note which put a stop to that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm glad Monolith is admitting XCX was a mistake.

You're a mistake.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

overwhelming titties

But enough about Valkyria Revolution.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A game primarily about just obtaining and wearing cool outfits would be my poo poo, almost regardless of game mechanics.

Though that has led me down the dark path of MMOs in the past.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 4, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am looking forward to when Sophie hits steam, so I can hang out with her and her friend who is also a book I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

perhaps it is time for lightning returns

I have already played that one to death. It's real fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

A reminder that Harada of Tekken sent out a tweet about a year ago asking people if they wanted a Xenosaga HD collection.

It got maybe a thousand likes/retweets before that notion basically disappeared due to disinterest.

The robot girls are the only things I know about Xenosaga. And huge amounts of cutscenes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I made the dumb decision of briefly looking at the steam discussion pages for Nights of Azure and Atelier Sophie and there were multiple threads for each that were deeply concerned with IS THERE CENSORSHIP???

I wonder if they actually even looked at the screenshots.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

There's nothing to censor in Azure or Sophie

Unless you're Nintendo I guess.

But perhaps having nothing to censor, is in itself censorship.

I've cracked the code.

Also yeah, dream world outfit and at least one of the transformations.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 7, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean some nintendo censorship has been really bad and heavy handed, like the boob slider in xenoblade or stuff like the curtain in the awakening beach dlc. i know that was nintendo of europe, but still. i agree that a lot of people freaking out about it are really stupid but you can criticize some of the things they've done without being a literal pedophile.

I assume a lot of the questionable edits are due to the frequently weird and not codified anywhere standards of the ratings board, and Nintendo in particular can't go the "just say you want to be approved as M" route with most of their games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

I mean the xenoblade x character customizer didn't exactly have many face options so iunno if short or tall should determine if a character is underage.

The old Australia standard.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

I give up trying to play Nights of Azure. It's got way lower reviews because it crashes at the start for no reason and many others apparently have the same issue.

Atelier Sophie works fine, I don't know they hosed it up for Azure unless they had two different port teams or something at the same time.

I think KT ports tend to be pretty scattershot for that kind of thing. I haven't tried this one yet but Toukiden works fine for me while it's a laggy, crashing mess for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't worry, the open world trend will eventually pass like all the others, and kidney stones.