Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked for 3DS

"In the initial European release of Devil Survivor Overclocked, some bugs were prevalent; among these were various game crashes such as after the player summoned a demon during a battle and another crash occurring during the devil auction. Ghostlight, the publisher, made an announcement regarding this on March 31, 2013, and said that they were doing everything they could to fix the problems as soon as possible.[39] On April 24, 2013, Ghostlight announced that a bug-fix patch had passed testing, and was to be submitted to Nintendo for distribution.[40] It was released on May 28, 2013.[41]"

This EU version was released more than a year and a half after the NA and JP versions!

And SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash for DS

"Almost immediately after the American NDS version was released, an unavoidable bug was discovered in the game. The bug occurs on the ninth floor of the tower, during the second play through. The game crashes after talking to an opponent named Jon, who has to be defeated in order to finish the game.[3] On June 6, SNK announced that the replacement cartridge would be available in stores on June 25 and began the process of implementing a recall. These cartridges have been sent by mail along with a package of five King of Fighters trading cards. The recall ended in January 2008. Fixed versions of the game features a black and white graphic behind the title font on the cartridge's label, while bugged versions feature the label in full color. The other versions of the game did not contain the above-mentioned glitch."

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Your Computer posted:

can i just get a dungeon crawler that isn't horny anime please

The Dark Spire for DS. Play it in Classic mode for those wireframe dungeons to really go back to the eighties!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Re: The Dark Spire

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you only get the true ending by buffing your charisma enough to bathe in a pool, then merging your entire party into a single asexual being or something don't you lmao

e: also game is good don't get me wrong

Hey now, that get together just happened so we could do the JRPG thing and kill a god!

WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT US THAT WAY

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 25, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Zereth posted:

weren't we talking about the MMBN series which was never on a CRT though?

Unless you were using a Gamecube with a Game Boy Player.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

CYBEReris posted:

i started with what got localized as "final fantasy legend II", it had some saga weirdness going on but iirc as long as you figured out one or two mechanical ways to get strong party members you'd be able to complete it fine with minimal pain.

There was a DS remake of this that apparently has a complete translation patch. It's somewhere deep in my list of games to play, but I definitely want to get around to it someday. It apparently isn't long at all and the remake has less randomness than the original.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 2, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

If you're playing Yakuza: Like A Dragon you should switch every male character to the Breaker class at the same time. Not because it is good, but because the synced animations at the start of battle are hilarious.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Maybe the Switch version will lean into speedrunning tradition and give you a competitive edge if you heat the cartridge with a hairdryer.

Nintendo might have nipped that in the bud with their overheating protection if the sensor for that is close to the cartridge slot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I've played Sword of Mana, the first remake of Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest GB, and let me tell you: friendship loving sucks!

What are all of you doing here while I'm about to fight the final boss? Why are we spending minutes talking about friendship and forgiving eah other's mistakes? I JUST WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS PRICK, LET ME SOLO HIM!

I wish Marcy/Marshall was here instead of all of you. They were a cool robot who knew when it was time to fight instead of yapping their mouth. And they knew when to stay death. Yes, Will, I'm talking to you son of a bitch. You originally died in the first 5 minutes of the game, how the hell are you still here?!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 15, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

So about the Ablink feature in Bravely Default 1. Apparently the game will generate bot buddies for that if you don't have any/enough friends. When do those first start showing up when talking to the Adventurer? I've got 3/4 slots filled with 3DS folks from back in the Pokemon S/M trading days, but that last empty slot is just staring at me.

I don't care if it's not like a player with maxed out job abilities (as nice as giving everyone JP Up is!)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 20, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Here's a 4th for you.

Cheers!

I am 2982-0483-8705.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

To a limited extent there's Radiant Historia, except part of the premise of that one is that you can move freely between the branches.

For the longest time I thought that Radiant Historia and Radiata Stories were the same, because a key feature of both Radias is a branching path. Then I played Radiant Historia and wondered where the big human vs non-human conflict was.

Edit: Uh, if there still ends up being one no spoilers plz, I've got the 3DS version of RH on pause :shobon:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 5, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i am having a decent time with Monster Hunter Stories 2 but it's definitely as repetitive as the main series, just with a candy-coated saturday morning anime shell around it. at least the main quests are pretty short in general: just go to an area, run through the 'proc-gen looking but somehow hand-crafted' dungeon, fight a boss monster, head back to town, on to the next quest. i mean i guess i shouldn't have expected them to vary it up much, lol

I played a couple hours of the first game on 3DS and came to a similar realization. I love the look and the presentation, such a good adaptation of the main series. Gameplay wise it is very much a kid's game tho, although I didn't get far enough for them explain the genes and such. I just knew if I wanted to raise and fight with "monsters" there were just more sophisticated/rewarding games on that handheld.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

When I was in Middle School my literature teacher pointed out that if you started at that moment, and started reading everything in the Library of Congress you'd not finish before dying. Given the amount of Media out there it takes a lot for me to justify retreading old ground instead of jumping into something new that might verywell become my new favorite.

:same:

I have a similar approach with music on Spotify. So much content that I'd just feel bad to keep revisiting the greatest hits. Drop me into the musical abyss and LET ME CONSUME.

Uh-hum, anyway. I just need to get better at realizing when something is lackluster and should just be dropped. I should be more of a snob instead of a glutton.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Atlus allowed Cohh to stream the first hours of Soul Hackers 2 last week. Here's a video timestamped at the first battle (14 minutes in), followed by more tutorial stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsWqTXAePk&t=884s

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 25, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Soul Hackers, I would like to devil summon some pants. My poor girl Ringo's outfit is so top heavy it looks like a gym bro as clothes

I think the intro tells you why human laws of gravity and fashion don't necessarily apply to her.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Looper posted:

also i love the box art, with klonoa of all people trying to look like a serious sword guy

Lots of rectangular GBA boxart probably suffered in the transistion to a square format for titles that got localized. Far greater sins than "they gave Kirby eyebrows so he looks angry".

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 31, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, your fourth party member will rotate over the course of the game several times.

Final Fantasy II also has a rotating fourth slot. Which is not ideal considering how the stat growth and magic system in that game works (even in later versions). They dump the final fourth slot into your lap before the final dungeon. Odds are your characters needed some extra practise anyway, but have fun training that blank slate.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Torment is absolutely a followup to Planescape Torment, if the sequel to planescape Torment thought "They just want another one, not something that removes it weaknesses and emphasizes its strengths".

It is a bad game made with stunted vision, is what Im saying.

I tried it when it was on Game Pass and during the first long conversation (about a half hour in) the dialogue box/area got a bug where it was no longer aligning the latest text to the top. So I had to constantly scroll to keep up. Looking this bug up online I saw that this was reported to happen with really long conversations. Which is one of the main reasons I started playing this "spiritual successor".

The uninstall process was swift and did not have many words.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

look i only savescum one time and it was when harry said the racist thing in church, i should be allowed to be a coward in this one scenario

Dancing fever makes a man do crazy things :hmmyes:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

heads up, new stupid jrpg name just dropped

Guns und Arkness, aber klar doch!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Charlotte is half human, half elf. Apparently that elven heritage means she is basically a small child at the age of 15.

Pain...

If you haven't heard the voice you are probably reading these like Elmer Fudd.

Let's hope not!

Oh no, the catfolk are doing it too!

Bonus: The writers were are all out for lunch when they had to come up with an appropiate name for the remake's "prestige classes".

Edit: Marked this one as a spoiler just in case.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 22, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

If anyone has played Bravely Second: End Layer and their 3DS isn't collecting dust, I'd like to swap friend codes. The 3DS had a small firmware update at the end of last month, so you'll need that before you can view your friends list (but it didn't affect custom firmware). Anyway, here's my code: 2982-0483-8705

I ended up having exactly 4 people for the abilink feature in the first game, but somehow I doubt all of them also played the sequel. I'm playing the demo/prologue right now, but it has no online functionality so I can't check yet.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

thanks for this post because I didn't know I could safely update my hacked 3ds

I may have been a bit hasty in my quest for friend codes... if you installed custom firmware this year or are reasonably up to date it is fine, because it seems like it was a very small firmware update. If you hacked it years ago, yeah, I'd take some additional steps before you press that big update button. Although it's mostly cautious advice, I doubt you'll break/brick things or somehow invoke Nintendo's wrath. And (re)doing the CFW is going to be pretty painless until the eShop no longer allows people to get the free Pokemon Picross title (in March of 2023).

Walla posted:

I'm actually playing through this right now.

Cheers. I played the first game at a slow pace, so don't expect the most useful abilink or summons from my end soon :shobon:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 25, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

make sure you pick charlotte as your main character so you can experience this

The true righteous wielder of the sword.

And I previously mentioned how the catfolk have a manner of speaking too...

...but it gets nowhere near as ridiculous as Minette the Catmancer in Bravely Second: End Layer. No screenshots for that one. I imagine the game is going to have a time loop at some point and I already dread her return.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Please don't start talking about Radiant Historia on a page where other people are talking about Radiata Stories, that's going to get hella confusing :shobon:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Sounds like that fan translation fucks like a tiger.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don't know about Apocalypse, but in SMT IV your demons can continue fighting and your main character will have 1 hp if they win. They actually brought it back for SMT V, those jerks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Psychorider posted:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon does, an extremely rude surprise when it happens the first time. Even more puzzling since they copy so much from Dragon Quest, including what happens when you die, but that series doesn't game over on protagonist death.

It can become really noticable in one fight against this one particular dude who doesn't attack women. Especially when you have both female party members in that fight. That guy is going to totally kill your dude!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Look I *like* Enchanted Arms but the best thing about it was Gay Char.

Somehow I don't think that Liam O'Brien puts that VA role in his top 10 tho.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

They gave away PoE 1 on Amazon/Twitch Prime at some point and I remember being amazed that it had everything. I'm sure there were one of two things that were actually supposed to be exclusive to Kickstarter backers. I enjoyed it for a while, even cleared the dungeon in your citadel, played the first piece of DLC to completion and then... just lost interest. It probably didn't help that this was back when I still had a PC without a SSD, and let me tell you, those loading times were looooong. Originally I planned to replay it on the new PC that did have a SSD so I could see how loading times had improved, but I got distracted by shinier and fancier games that I was finally able to run at a decent frame-rate.

I think what is stopping me from just buying 1 + 2 on Steam is mostly that I don't think I have the time that these games deserve. I bought a collection of Beamdog's remastered Infinity Engine games at some point and I just played Icewind Dale, no idea when I ever would go back to Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and its additional content. In a few weeks I'm finally getting around to The Witcher 3 and that's going to take me a while. So sorry, such a gift would be absolutely squandered on me, since I would likely play the games in 2025 at best :sweatdrop:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

loquacius posted:

Home Guldove is still one of my favorite town themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqkuihmVxg

I really like the slightly more acoustic version on one of Mitsuda's Hopeful Weeds EPs. Shame no one uploaded it to Youtube although a certain Kingdom Hearts insider might have a copy online.

(Apparently that site does in fact do more than just host video game OSTs. What a surprise, right?)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 5, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I could be talking about God of War: Ragnarok but I'd rather talk about this one RPG you've never heard of that combines being utterly generic with being absolutely terrible and yet I've been playing it once a year ever since I bought it.

(when is Kemco buying the IP to make a sequel).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

The same way all the dragon breaths in FFT became bracelets.

Ah, that explains why that one weapon in Vampire Survivors is called that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The only time I still think of Rogue Galaxy is when shuffle gets to this soothing, comfy song that is tied to a needlessly involved crafting mini-game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiAfkQiPe24

I enjoy the thing it is trying to do... as a more complicated stand-alone game! Just not as mini-game inserted into a jRPG.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you do want to play as a dude in BDSM gear, fallout is an excellent series for this. thank you, the cultural influence of Mad Max

Couple pages late on this, but Fallout 3 DLC The Pitt had a raider armor that looked like this.

I had Clover as a companion for a bit and gave her that outfit and a police cap for maximum ridiculousness and minimum practicality.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they sprung for an "actual" film guy for ME3 though I don't think he did that much outside a few cutscenes

still not the most notable composer who got roped into doing a game, which is probably still Michael Nyman

Clint Mansell is credited on two songs, one at the end of the opening sequence and one during the ending(s) sequence (for which a different composer is also credited). Something like Call of Duty: Black Ops II at least was straightforward by saying that Trent Reznor just did the main theme on the album cover.

Edit: Not a really notable composer and definitely not an RPG, but I adore Amon Tobin's score for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Something like "The Lighthouse" is a great song and even edited for an album you can definitely hear how the soundtrack worked with layers depending on whether you were stealthy or if the guns were blazing.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 6, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

I'm sorry but the internet has decided that no one cares about Star Force. Also neither do I.

Why even care about Star Force or Battle Network when you've got Battle Chip Challenge? :shepface:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

They put this part in one of the trailers for the Stranger of Paradise DLC, so I don't feel like putting a spoiler tag on it. They were not tight-lipped about this character's appearance at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr28q_883a0

Classic Jack :hmmyes:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 24, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I've never played a Suikoden game, but I used to listen to way too much VGM releases. This became relevant when I did play Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow at one point. Two ending/finale songs that share a similar theme.

Listen to the first 30 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4caXWUFIOo
Masahiko Kimura, released in 2004.

And then this bit at 1:11.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs-sIo8ghf0&t=69s
Michiru Yamane got the credit for this one, but Masahiko Kimura also made a lot of music for this game. Released in 2005.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The intro movie to Icewind Dale 1 is so good, made even better by the ending movie revelation that the gentle narrator is actually the demon you defeated, reflecting on the events and longing for revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHsrMkanL_o

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 29, 2023