Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
As long as we're talking about Illusion of Gaia, we might as well get on the subject of Soul Blazer and Terranigma. I wouldn't classify any of these three games as a true RPG, but they definitely all have some RPG elements.

Soul Blazer basically puts you in the shoes of an angel. You're working for the Creator to bring various different dimensions back from the dead after they've been laid to waste by the demon Death Toll. You do this by killing monsters in that universe's version of the underworld. Monsters spawn from monster lairs, and once you've killed all of the monsters in that particular monster lair you can heal it. Every time you heal a monster lair, a part of the world comes back to life. Some of the monster lairs can't be found unless you get items from people you have previously brought to life. Because the game deals a lot with mortality and death, there are some quite poignant moments. Plus, the music rocks.

Fine, pansies, but when you get through it you'll see I really give away nothing about what actually happens. Terranigma pretty much has the same plot as Soul Blazer, but you're a demon tasked with resurrecting the world so souls can be reaped from it again. Of course, as you do not know you're a demon and are supposed to be evil until halfway through the game, you say "gently caress no" and try to protect the world. Your character fights with pointy sticks and is actually a pretty bad-rear end fighter. The story is pretty complex and the music is quite awesome. I've never managed to finish Terranigma, mostly because something even more awesome comes along. In this case, I'd start playing it and then New Vegas would come out, rendering the point moot.

Then, there's King's Field. It is extremely hard to get the ball rolling with these games as your character always starts of pretty squishy, but every entry I've played has been extremely imaginitive and engrossing. The games take place in a very dark fantasy setting where humankind has to scratch out an existence while horrible monsters roam the earth trying to slaughter them. The game stresses exploration and discovery, and like most true "open world" games you're barred from the more advanced areas by monster strength, though some places are locked by magic or items. The graphics and game speed of the first King's Field are bad/slow but it is worth playing just because there is a relatively large amount of game to explore.

E: f/b

Radical and BADical! fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

Anyone ever play "Bahamut's Lagoon" on the SNES?

Absolutely. I loved that sometimes you's be fighting and a dragon would totally jump in and lay waste to the enmtire enemy squad. Or, sometimes they'd look in, decide you were doing ok and then next turn randomly attack another enemy squad.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Miketopus posted:

Action game.

fighting the goddamn queen of Spain?

Take note, that's how you spoiler something awesome from Terranigma.

You shouldn't even have written that. That's how you refrain from mentioning specifics that someone can literally mouse over and ruin for themselves. :)