Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rorona's characters are cliche and very, very anime, but I haven't found any of them offensively bad. The gameplay is simple and addicting, if you don't mind some pressure from constant deadlines and whatnot. It's basically Recettear, but bigger and with less likable characters. And triple the price, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Ledneh posted:

Wait, Rita? The 'casts take like four, five seconds and god help you if you get hit' character? Fun? :stare:

Seriously though, is there something that makes her fun to play? 'cause last time I played I got all the way up to getting Judith and I never figured out how one could play Rita without falling asleep.

When in Overdrive all her spells become instant cast (as that combo video demonstrates). Late into the game it's possible to get near infinite TP/overdrive, so you can spam high-level spells repeatedly and just slaughter everything. It's fun in a 'holy poo poo this is broken as hell' sort of way. But before that, yeah, you'll be sitting around casting quite a bit.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The game also tries to pretend scouts have crappy firepower, but in most situations they're actually just as good if not better at killing stuff than shock troopers, thanks to their longer range.

The second game fixes that, mostly. Scouts are still good, but the smaller maps make close-quarter classes more useful.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

RoF is unique in that unlike other modern jrpgs that introduce combat elements bit by bit and give tutorials for it all, RoF gives you access to everything from the get-go and does a piss-poor job of explaining it all. It's an interesting change of pace, but as a result it never really evolves at all as the game goes on (and it goes on for quite a while). It's fun, but not really 60 hours-fun.

Creating horrible frankenstein guns with 3 handguards, 8 scopes, and 10 barrels pointing straight down will always be entertaining, though.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

If I recall correctly, there was originally going to be six Xenosagas, but when Episode II tanked they reworked III to be the last in the story. So yeah, It has an ending. I never actually bothered finishing it myself, so I dunno how well that turned out.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I'm an hour into The Last Remnant and I already hate Rush's guts. He's just a perfect storm of :downs: and :smug:.

Does he ever get any less awful?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I can't tell if you bought an ES case with a Tales of Vesperia disc inside or what, but Eternal Sonata is the most horrible anime bullshit cockblowing game I've ever seen. I mean, it starts beating you over the head with pseudointellectual teenager bullshit from the very moment it starts and never, ever lets up.

In the opening cutscene a little girl asks her mother why there are waves in the ocean. Instead of responding with "the moon", she goes on this ridiculous rant about how the moon is like war and the shores are like the people and the waves are like waves of consequence affecting the lives of all the Jesus Christ shut up.

This is the entire game.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Naky posted:

It's a shame that opening sequence scared so many people away since I thought that the gameplay was a lot better in X2 than X.

Yeah, if you can look past the goofy-rear end presentation, X-2 is honestly one of the more entertaining FFs. The job system is fun as hell.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I'm still debating whether to get an action or turn based rpg for a trip. But from the former group I was considering one of the Ys PSP games. Which one would make a better introduction: Oath in Felghana or 7?

(turnbased game would be Trails)

Seven is the more modern and accessible game, but makes some notable changes to the formula (multiple playable characters, no jump button, etc). Oath in Felghana is more representative of the series as a whole, but has certain old-school trappings (dated visuals, lack of a map system, just being hard as hell).

I personally prefer OiF but I think Seven makes for a better starting point.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I have the both the DS and PSP versions of KitN and while it does control a little better on the DS, it's still perfectly playable on the PSP. The main thing is trying to graze bullets for bonus exp in the PSP version is just asking to get killed. The UI really is a lot clearer and less cluttered.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

They really needed to sort that out, have a few assistants you can deligate tasks to so you can farm items and make items in the same timeframe.

You actually get exactly that a little while into the game (start of the second year or sometime around there). It takes them a little longer to do stuff though, if I remember correctly.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 22, 2011

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I went into Rorona expecting something simple and light-hearted but it was seriously once of the most stressful games I've ever played. My experience was similar to HondaCivet's; I really liked the game but I was constantly freaking out about one deadline or another. Maybe I was just bad at the game but I'm hoping Totori is a little more loose regarding time management.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

The reviews for Totori are trickling in and they've mostly been pretty glowing. If I wasn't on my phone I'd link to a few. Pretty pumped for this animu simulator.

Has anyone ever made an Atelier thread or would it be a waste of time? Not sure how many goons play the series and I am new to it myself.

I just read the GamrReview review (god that's an awful name) and it really does sound pretty nice. I might just have to pick it up along with ICO/SotC Collection :)

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Atelier Totori is pretty fun so far and I'd have to say a good bit better than Rorona. The only downside is that everything takes up shitloads more time than before, but they don't give you any hard goals you have to meet constantly so it kind of evens out.

I'm loving it so far. Also, does anyone know how long the game is? I'm guessing more than three years, since that would make for a pretty short game. I'm maybe eight hours in and I'm near the end of the second year.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Wendell posted:

Where are you hearing this? I've never heard of Pandora, but Last Story got great reviews.

The general opinion I've heard on Last Story is "pretty good but not as good as Xenoblade."

I also know next to nothing about Pandora's Tower. Anyone know what it's about?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yeah but there are very few games as good as Xenoblade, so that's not saying much.

I'll get it when it comes out either way; it's not like we have much of a selection of JRPGs to choose from this generation.

Yeah it's not really a fair comparison, but when you've got two Wii-exclusive import-only JRPGs with MMO-style combat, it's kind of hard not to compare them. That said, I'll probably be getting it for the same reason.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

So many conflicting emotions right now, I dunno if I should be happy or annoyed with them.

I'll probably buy it again. Begrudgingly.

e: and yeah I raised an eyebrow at $50 Oregon Trail game.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

ineptmule posted:

I hope this a good place to ask this; I looked around and couldn't find a more obvious thread.

I've recently started playing Fire Emblem on the GBA, and I've finished the 10 chapter intro story. Now that I've started the proper story I've noticed that my units don't seem ever to do that double attack thing that seemed to happen often in the intro where my guys would often just strike twice when fighting.

I guess it would make sense if they toned that down for the main game because it made the intro kind of easy, but the game never acknowledged that is what's happening and I think that's kind of lovely design to put this overpowered thing into the learning stages and then yank it away without telling the player.

Am I on the right track or is there a level/stat based subtlety to it that I am missing?

(I bought the cartridge only second hand on Amazon so I haven't got a manual or anything, so I lack an understanding of the mechanics that aren't explicitly spelled out in the game itself.)

Double attacks are based on attack speed, a hidden stat. In order to get a double attack, your attack speed needs to be at least 4 higher than the enemy's. Attack speed is your speed minus the difference between your constitution and equipped weapon's weight. Say your speed is 10, your con is 5, and your weapon weight is 7. Your AS would be 8.

The reason you're seeing double attacks less is because the game starts giving you heavier weapons (and because enemies are just stronger). Be careful with steel weapons - they have high attack, but they're not very good in the early game due to how heavy they are. You'll start seeing double attacks more when your unit's speed stats start going up and you get access to a wider array of weapons.

(and don't use Marcus)

Troffen fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 4, 2011

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Boneless Jogger posted:

He's a promoted (past level 20) character who will hog up exp if you use him too much. He also doesn't have very good growth rates so he'll not be as good as the other characters once they catch up to his level. It's still alright to use him every once in a while if you're in a pinch, just don't feed him too much exp. Also, in the early game I like to take his weapons off him and use him to distract enemies if you feel like doing that.

Yeah the game's AI prefers to attack units that can't counterattack, so taking Marcus's weapons away will make most enemies go for him, even if they have no chance of killing him. Then you send in your weaker dudes to finish them off.

I'm currently replaying the game for the 10th or so time so feel free to ask questions :eng101:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

ineptmule posted:

I do have one quick question - how long is the game after the first storyline? I've heard there are three campaigns kinda? Are they all 10 chapters long or is there more than that left?

Also I'm really frustrated that so far I've only been able to buy and sell items during missions, is this the case throughout the whole game?

Edit: Oh, and also my friend (who's played it) mentioned characters supporting each other, what's the deal with that?

Edit 2: Haha that is a lot more than one quick question, sorry!

Edit 3: Just a comment but Wallace from the last two battles of Lyn's campaign is a total dude :)

1.Eliwood's story is about 20 chapters, not counting side chapters. After you finish that, you unlock Hector's story which is Eliwood's story from Hector's point of view. It's has a few new chapters and the old chapters have different enemies and enemy placements and such, and it's a little harder all in all.

2.You can sell items at the preparations screen, though this might only be after you get Merlinus (chapter 14 or 15 I think). You can only buy from shops.

3.If you make two characters stand next to each other for a certain number of turns, an option called "support" will show up which makes them have a short conversation. Supporting characters get stat boosts when standing within 3 spaces of each other. This site has more info, like which characters are able to support each other, and all sorts of other good info.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

iastudent posted:

So XSeed posted something... interesting on their facebook.

No idea if it's even a RPG but since they come up often in discussion here...

In a similar vein, Atlus USA has been posting clues for their next game on their facebook:

People are guessing either Growlanser 4 or Gungnir (Gungnir being Sting's fourth game in the Dept. Heaven series (Yggdra Union, Riviera, Knights in the Nightmare)). Hoping for the latter myself :)

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

Growlanser 4 isn't a PSP game as far as I know so that seems like a bad guess.

Growlanser 4: Over Reloaded was released on the PSP in Japan a few months ago.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Troffen posted:

In a similar vein, Atlus USA has been posting clues for their next game on their facebook:

People are guessing either Growlanser 4 or Gungnir (Gungnir being Sting's fourth game in the Dept. Heaven series (Yggdra Union, Riviera, Knights in the Nightmare)). Hoping for the latter myself :)

Gamestop went and spoiled the surprise, looks like it's going to be Gungnir. Of course, it's a little strange that all the clues so far apply to both games. It could be they're having a laugh at us and actually plan on announcing both.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Stelas posted:

Hahaha, those jackasses.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I've played both too and the game is totally playable on PSP. You lose a little precision, but it's not really a big deal. The UI on the PSP version is a lot less cluttered too.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I should probably give the DS version another go now that I have an XL. Last time I played it, it was on an original DS. The tiny screens plus the messy UI made it a rough experience.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

iastudent posted:

I picked Resonance of Fate back up after having sold it awhile ago and I could've sworn that you can move around the weapon on the customization blueprint, but for the life of me I can't remember how.

It's the right stick I think? It's been a while. I just remember I didn't learn about it until about 40 hours in.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

iastudent posted:

More Resonance of Fate questions.

1) For Charge Speed/Acceleration, which determines how fast your initial charge builds up and which determines how much faster you accumulate others in the same attack?

2) How do you change the color on terminals to something other than you activated them with? I cleared one using a normal energy hex but now it won't me attach any other colored ones to it.

Charge Speed is the initial speed, Charge Acceleration is how much it speeds up each subsequent level. You'd have to do some crazy math to figure out the best balance but acceleration becomes better later on in the game since the acceleration stacks for each charge level and you'll be charging up more and more levels.

Don't remember poo poo about the hex system though.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Since there aren't many games coming out in January/February I've decided to play some of my old PS2 RPGs I've never gotten around to playing.

I was thinking of starting Digital Devil Saga. Is there anything I should know before playing? I've only played 2 SMT games in the past(Persona 3 and 4) and loved them both, but something tells me DDS is a lot more difficult and could screw me over if I do the wrong thing. Will I enjoy it if I really liked the Persona series, or are they 2 completely different series?

Should I maybe play Nocturne first?

They're really only similar to Persona in that Persona's combat is basically a somewhat simplified version of the combat in Nocturne/DDS. DDS has a more traditional jrpg format and would probably be easier to get into, but be aware that you'll need to play both games if you want the full story. Nocturne is a straight-up, pure dungeon crawler, and as such you'll need some patience to play it. They're all amazing games but yeah, they're a lot tougher than the Personas.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Stelas posted:

Dammit you're making me want to replay this game. I remember spending 20-30 minutes at a time just putting together and taking apart a single gun, trying to figure out the optimal setup. :allears:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah Eternal Sonata is an alright game, if you think you can stand to listen to Chopin and his anime friends wax philosophic about nothing for 20 or so straight hours.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rasamune posted:

Six hundred and fifty five. (I have not!)

e: Oh hey, and I still have my cheat sheet folded up inside:

Goddamn this game

I don't have a clue what any of that means but for some reason I find that image incredibly funny.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

don't bother with tri attacks until you get 5-6 completed hexes, you mean; it's pretty vital later on. I'm not 100% clear on weapon customization, just that you won't need to do anything real crazy until later, you want to increase... the two circular weapon stat percentages mainly (weapon charge speed and something else). Special hexes are colored ones I assume, they'll dole ones that are important to you at the beginning of the chapter, normally.

That's charge speed and charge acceleration, which you get from scopes and barrels respectively. You want to load your guns up with both when you can, as they'll let you get off more attacks each turn and charge up stronger attacks faster.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

XIII's got an interesting premise but it's kind of ruined by the fact that all the characters are unbearable save afro guy. The combat is pretty fun once your options start opening up, but it takes a while before the game stops holding your hand through everything.

e:^ The game's more or less the same 6 hours in as it is at the start. People aren't exaggerating when they say the first 20-30 hours of the game is literally a series of hallways. It gets a little better at that point, but...yeah.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 7, 2012

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Pretty much every word of this is true. About the only complaint might be the protagonist; while Totori does grow into a stronger person eventually, at first she cam come across as a real wet blanket and might get on some players' nerves at first. I actually suspect Atelier Meruru, the upcoming end to the Arland trilogy of Atelier games, will be a lot better in this regard since Meruru is way more proactive, go-getting and chipper than previous Arland heroines (and really more like the classic Salburg/Gramnad heroines, whose games we never got (grumble grumble)).

Totori's a bit of a bland character, but she's inoffensive at worst. She lacks any oh-so-hilarious goofy "character traits" and usually plays the straight man to the rest of the cast's goofy anime hijinks. Just keep the voices on English, whatever you do.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Is this because the English voices are good, or because the Japanese voices are just that bad/insufferable? I'll be getting the game soon and I wasn't aware you could chose which language to listen to.

Totori's Japanese voice is just reaally hard to listen to, it goes up about ten octaves. The English voice acting is solid all around, though there are a good number of scenes that have acting in Japanese but are silent in English. I tried playing with the JP voices for a while but I just couldn't take it.

e: Though I do appreciate that they kept in all the Japanese voices, unlike some other games that give you a JP voice option but cut out half of it to match the amount of English acting.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 17, 2012

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Any point to bothering with Rorona before playing Totori?

Not really. There's a few references and cameos you won't get but it's no big deal. Gameplay-wise, Totori is pretty much just a straight-up better version of Rorona.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Stelas posted:

Booted up Atelier Meruru tonight just to play with it for a while. If nothing else, this game's substantially more vibrant than the two games prior. The intro is one hell of a burst of colour, and the art style on the recap video is really striking.

Everything's turned up to 11, and I kind of like it.

e: Haha, the game proper tried to emulate it by doing a ton of flyovers of a sleepy drab village, and the impact wasn't quite the same.

The first two games are downright drab compared to Meruru; it's seriously pretty.

I played through about half a year and it's pretty great. It's the same basic game, but with some minor gameplay tweaks and a nation-building sim thrown in for good measure. Instead of license points, exploring/killing enemies gets you points you can use to upgrade your kingdom. One of the really cool things is you aren't just exploring the map, your goal is to develop areas for the kingdom, and areas actually change as you do so. So far I've turned a forest into some farmland (deforestation hell yeah) and turned some ruins into a fort.

Does the volume on the voices sound unbalanced to you? In the opening scenes, everyone other than Meruru seemed really quiet. I tweaked the volume settings but it still sounds a little off.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Primoman posted:

What's the word on Tales of Graces F? I enjoyed Vesperia, and was planning to pick this up at a certain point. The latest trailer for Xillia 2 has me looking into the game sooner rather than later.

The plot is pretty weak and the dungeon design is garbage, but the combat is super fun and the characters are entertaining when they're trying to be. So pretty much Tales in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How bad are we talking?

For some reason I've grown really intolerant to lovely stories recently and I skip cutscenes whenever they get too long. When I was younger I'd listen to the entire conversation between Raiden and Rose talking about movies or whatever

The light-hearted scenes are all right and are actually pretty funny from time to time, but when the melodrama kicks in, things start going downhill fast. I'm pretty tolerant of that sort of stuff and I still found myself groaning a little at some of the scenes. It's a good thing the actual gameplay is so much goddamn fun.

e: The cast isn't really as good as Vesperia's but they're all right. Malik, Richard, and Hubert are great, the rest I could take or leave. Some people seem to really dislike Pascal (generic super-energetic girl) but I didn't mind her.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 4, 2012