Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

nene. posted:

FF12s getting a HD port

Wait, what? When was this announced? 12 is only second to 6 as my favorite FF so I'm really excited about it, but I can't believe I missed the announcement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Speaking of DQ, I actually picked up 9 for pretty cheap. I've never played a DQ game before, so what should I expect from it? Also, does the multiplayer not unlock until the main story is finished or does it open up in a plot-related place?

VVVV Thanks, sounds good. :)

Azraden fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 26, 2012

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Don't worry about missing out on minor details of the plot by not playing the first two. There's also a bunch of foreshadowing in the first two games that never come to fruition since episode 3 had to wrap up what was supposed to be like 6 or 8 games. The only thing you'll miss is a joke at the very end of 3 that references the first game.

Also Albido may be my favorite JRPG villain simply because his descent into madness is basically ":qq:What do you mean other people can't detach their limbs and not die!?:qq:

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

TurnipFritter posted:

1) What exactly would that change in the coverage?
2) I would be much more upset if they had never heard of Call of Duty because that's far more relevant to the modern industry.

You're missing the point by a wide margin. It has to do with the fact that if you cover a genre/medium, you should know the history. Ultima is a big part of that history.
It's really just another reason why game journalism is a loving joke.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

nessin posted:

All other factors that have been covered aside, the Ultima series is apparently so successful that they had to stop making major releases in 1999 or else they'd destroy the market. I guess all the series which have progressed (Fallout, D&D, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, need I go on) are just filling in the void Ultima left for them.

There's been a lot of dumb poo poo said in this argument, but this might be the dumbest. "Heh. It hasn't had a sequel in a while and isn't completely oversaturating the market with needless sequels? Clearly wasn't THAT important :smug:"

E: Basically, if you're a journalist, you should know what your talking about. To know what you're talking about, you should do research and know the history of your subject. Game journalism doesn't require this for some reason, which puts it on the same level as Fox News.

VVVVV the rest of your quote was just as dumb

Azraden fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 18, 2012

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Bongo Bill posted:

It also shows they're disinclined to put even token research into their supposed specialization; I shouldn't have to explain why that's bad.

Given the posts in this thread, I think you might have to.

So. Dragon's Dogma comes out in a few days, and I'm pretty much free 'til then. I've been wondering what I should finish while I wait. My choices are Nier (I think I'm about 1/4 through), Persona 4 (haven't started, but did watch Giant Bomb's endurance run), SMT: Nocturne (played until the first save point) or Legend of Grimrock (played about an hour). Any thoughts on which I should (or could, I know the SMT games are notoriously long) finish first?

Of course, this thread is starting to make me want to re-play Ultima 7 now too.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Amethyst posted:

And I would expect all paid video game journalists to have knowledge of both Earthbound and Ultima, yes.

I think this is something a lot of people are, willfully or otherwise, misunderstanding. Nobody says this guy should even play Ultima, let alone know it inside and out. But if he's writing about RPGs, it isn't much to ask that he has knowledge of it's existence and why it was so important.

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm talking about the idea that "ALL GAMING JOURNALISTS NEED TO BE FAMILIAR WITH ULTIMA OR ELSE." I don't care about the example cause it's a non-starter for me.

Good job arguing against something nobody said? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
E: Not worth it. Gamers are terrible.

Azraden fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 18, 2012