Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is Mass Effect 2?

I've never played this series and my friend is lending it to me.

How good is the roleplaying aspect (as in a world crafted around my decisions) in this game?

Is the game good in general? I mean it gets a lot of hate but has gotten fantastic reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Mass Effect is a very popular series and quite beloved on SA, where in the world were you hearing that it was "getting a lot of hate"???

Neogaf.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Well, the worldcrafting is most evident if you go from ME1 to ME2, but I really like it.

Please explain.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

A lot of the effects of your decisions aren't immediately apparent in-game because it was planned around being a trilogy and data importation and poo poo. Taking some decisions might block you out of certain quests (or unlock others), but clearing out some bandits holed up on some desert planet isn't going to suddenly curb interplanetary piracy.

But come ME2, you can see what you've changed, and the people you've changed, and what this means for the bed you've made for yourself.

So in other words I should play ME1 before 2 to get more robust role-playing experience?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Someone mentioned Alpha Protocol and I was actually eyeing that since its on sale. How is it?

Rascyc posted:

It's a perfectly playable game, especially if you like the sci-fi genre (of which there are hardly many good modern RPGs). I'd suggest just playing it before reading too much and letting selective bias ruin your experience.

It has a fun narrative, as it mostly borrows all of its themes from popular sci-fi movies/syndicated series such as Battlestar Galactica, etc (although if you hate this sort of thing, then just skip the series in my opinion). The voice acting is pretty good for the most part, with the sore thumb being the male version of Shepard in ME1 (thus a lot of people just play the female version, or FemShep for short).

Some character personalities/writing are better than others in ME1, and the characterization across the board is better in ME2 at the expense of the main plot.

Decisions you make in ME1 do have some impacts in ME2. They're not completely global but there are some good ones (to elaborate more would be to kinda spoil things). It's hard to appreciate some of this because you won't ever know about them until you start reading threads/getting spoiled. It was a bit overhyped but there are parts there.

The gameplay in ME1 is a bit archiac at this point. It's a pretty basic cover-system-FPS with a lot of stats and powers. ME2 streamlined a lot of it and it made more FPS'ey and I thought it was pretty good. Lots of people disagree on how they handled powers by putting them ALL on a single linked cool-down (which slows things down and tries to make it strategic but ...) which is perfectly understandable.

[e]As a random aside, if you hate the whole planet exploration thing, the side mission stuff in ME1 is by far the weakest part of the game and is perfectly skippable. The only things it changes in ME2 are giving you more exp/money/minerals to start out with (most people just cheat the minerals in ME2, fwiw).

Fantastic post, thanks.

Ice Blue posted:

I wouldn't call it a bad game. It may be disappointing to some but not really a bad game unless you're big on hyperbole. Plus I don't know if I'd say DA2 got "fantastic reviews". It was inflated still but not really that high compared to DAO. ME2 was a great game to many people and considered GOTY by many people. I don't think you could say the same about DA2.

So its a lot like GTA IV?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

*Sigh* Why is it so hard for WRPG developers to make a fully polished and cooked game?

Long development time vs due dates?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Vermain posted:

WRPGs generally have far more complexity in player agency, which makes the game hella hard to fully bugtest and polish unless you have a lot of money and a highly dedicated QA team. Your average line of dialogue in a JRPG is just that: a line of dialogue, whereas the average line of dialogue in a WRPG could easily split off into three separate options, which could then also split into three separate options each, and selecting one of those options might impact a particular plot flag down the road, or spawn more monsters, etc. It means that you need a much longer development cycle in general in order to properly refine the product.

To be fair JRPG's are much longer through their first play throughs.

The average WRPG takes about 20-25 hours to beat or so. While the average JRPG takes about 40-50.

Not to mention Final Fantasy XIII as an example of openness in JRPG's? That's like saying "WRPG's all have poo poo real-time battle-systems, just look at Arcanum).

Sachant posted:

Funny (if you recall for instance the response to guided tour that was FFXIII) how we've come to expect open ends and branching paths, while JRPGs haven't really delivered yet.

Different genres, different styles.

You might as well compare Demon Souls to Oblivion.

Exercu posted:

Ah, there are a few bugs, but knowing CDprojekt they're pounding the pulp out of them right now.

The only bugs that The Witcher 2 has are good ones (I.E. No pants).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ice Blue posted:

The thing is, it's kinda true that dialogue in JRPGs are generally pretty linear.

I was just throwing it out there that JRPG's tend to be much longer than your average WRPG thus not being that far away from the amount of content that must be moderated.

Ice Blue posted:

These are much less common than people think. WRPGs are in general pretty linear as well. It's just that there are a few big name WRPGs from big developers that aren't like games by Bioware, Obsidian, and Bethesda.

True. One can say the same thing about JRPG's all being "Final Fantasy-like". A vast majority of them aren't at all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is fantastic so far. Is the rest of the series as consistently good? I was also disappointed to see that the series eventually went 3D.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

the good news is that the sequel is supposed to be a fair bit better, the bad news is that the chances of any game past the sequel being localized is pretty slim

e: from what i hear Ao no Kiseki is really good, maybe the best in the series, and Zero no Kiseki is really good too. Sen no Kiseki wasn't as good but then Sen no Kiseki II was better

Why is it unlikely for the other entries to be localized?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

they're wordy so they take a lot of time/money to translate but don't sell great, and the series eventually moves off of the PC so there's a platform issue (Ao no Kiseki is only on the psp and vita, for example, which aren't healthy platforms now, let alone by the time they get there).

That sucks. I really wanted more of this deriesr.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How is that Pier Solar game? You know the one that is a new Sega Genesis game that recently got ported to PC and Dreamcast? Is it good? How does it compare to more modern RPGs like Trails in the Sky?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wow I guess I dodged a bullet. Never got the nostalgia from 16 bit JRPGS. Only Chrono Trigger stood the test of time. The genre didn't start to age well until the late 90s.

I may pick it up if its on sale for like $2 on GOG one day, just for curiosity sake.

Are there any good indie JRPGs out there?

Endorph posted:

mid 90s working design dialogue is too high praise

I played Lunar Eternal Blue and couldn't believe how bad it was. It was like watching a 4Kids cartoon with some adult "humor" thrown in.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 22, 2014

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Endorph posted:

the dialogue of a game that doesnt exist is probably pretty bad yeah

Serves me right for trusting Google recommendations instead of putting in the extra effort to actually fulfilling the search to confirm the game's name.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Speaking of PC indie JRPG's, anyone else ever played Space Funeral?

http://gamejolt.com/games/rpg/space-funeral/3492/?

It is very unique (and short).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's exactly what I mean. Saturn poo poo is really tempermental, but again that did not stop them from putting panzer Dragoon 1 on the Xbox. Or Virtua Cop 2 on the Dreamcast.

Panzer Dragoon and Virtua Cop 2 had PC releases. That said, it isn't 2004 anymore. High end hardware can comfortable emulate Saturn games.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I don't remember PD looking this bad.

Emu problem?

It is. I played Panzer Dragoon on an emulator and it looked far better than that. (Though I had to run the music manually though for some strange reason).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I really wish Atlus would port the Persona games to Steam. :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Which Ys game should I get on Steam?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Are 1+2 very dated?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tae posted:

Valkyria Chronicle 2's gameplay was bad, I was far more into the story than the gameplay which seems like a super failure. 6 loving character slots per map is atrocious when tanks still cost 2 except specific builds, and way more bullshit gimmick invincible characters. Not to mention they went overkill on nerfing Orders.

So is the first one the best one or three?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

A little. The gameplay gimmick is that instead of attacking enemies with a sword or whatever, you have to run into them. But if you hit them head on, only you take damage, so the idea is that you hit them off-center, diagonally, or from behind. It sounds weird but it's surprisingly easy to pick up. The main reason that people are reluctant to recommend Ys I&II is because the first game is a little rough around the edges (there's just not a lot to actually do) and the final boss is bullshit; Ys II on the other hand is a very solid, maybe even charming action RPG with a few more gameplay mechanics to spice things up and a better world to explore.

I would still probably buy/play Origin or Oath first just to get your feet wet first, but if you do end up liking them give I&II a try eventually. I mean I played them first a smattering of years ago and I liked them enough to play more games so I don't think they're so dated that they unplayable/unenjoyable.

Thank you.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I can't be the only who is pissed that there isn't an Ys bundle on Steam.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tendales posted:

Space Funeral would be an excellent game to finish an RPGMaker game binge, since its whole aesthetic is a direct response to the pretty-but-samey nature of all the RM games out there.

Space Funeral is by far the best RPG Maker game. It's probably the only freeware RPG Maker game I've played that I wished was long enough to be a full game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I bit the bullet and brought all of the Ys games on Steam Sale. I've decided to start with Oath of Felghana.

I have two questions:

#1 Am I suppose to be grinding like crazy in the game? I'm at the ruins where I have to fight Chester and he is clearly way above me (I'm at level 13). Do I just keep grinding away until I beat him?

#2 Is this what the Ys games are like or is this a pure spinoff? I was under the impression that the Ys games were traditional JRPGs with a psuedo action battle system and not rouge likes.

Sakurazuka posted:

Just noticed there's a few of the older SMT games available for mobiles, are any of them worth playing nowadays?

I have only played Shin Megami Tensei II, but I have heard that the first one is the same, just with less bells and whistles. So keep in mind when I talk about the old ones available I can only speak for II.

If I were to judge the game on today's RPG standards the game...is still pretty good. It isn't perfect by any means necessary but it is a very enjoyable experience. The game has a very interesting atmosphere and feel to it. It's very cyberpunk but very occult at the same time. The battle system obviously isn't the deepest but it gets things done. Actually I think a better and simpler way to describe the game is that it is a slightly more primitive Soul Hackers. Like Soul Hackers the game hasn't aged perfectly, but if you are willing to overlook random battles, non-nonsensical difficulty curves, strange dungeon design decisions , and having to conserve magnetite you will definitely enjoy it. It's no IV or III, but it's still way more worth your while than your random waifu JRPG of the season.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 2, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well things were going fine until I go to the Ruins area. The enemies kicked my rear end so I just kept grinding and eventually just avoided enemies. I thought maybe it would be too early for that but I couldn't find any other sidequests or anything to do in the town so I assumed that I HAD to go to the Ruins.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well I went to upgrade and update my equipment and sure enough I went back to the boss and area and it was a complete cake walk. I feel silly now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How are Carpe Fulgar's Chantelise and Fortune Summoners?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Demos it is!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

One of my favorite mage PC experiences in a RPG was in Arcanum. Sure, the game is wonky, buggy and feels unfinished near the end (it's a Troika game after all), but a mage in Arcanum is what you'd expect a mage to be: an unstoppable killing machine who also packs every trick in the book, from teleportation to simply unlocking things. Another one was Nehrim, a professional mod for Oblivion. It has a compelling story where the main character is canonically a mage (although you can choose whatever) and is just generally excellent all the way through.

The Mage class in Arcanum makes the game hilariously broken. The game goes from difficult (if you are paying as say Swordsman) to Skies if Arcadia level of easiness.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So how similar is Ys Origin to Oath of Felghana? Are they the exact same gameplay and design wise?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I beat Oath in Felghana. The game definitely needed more time in the oven. I understand that it was suppose to be an unforgiving dungeon crawling action RPG, but even with those metrics its flawed. The game just isn't that well paced and I found myself constantly grinding before bosses. That said this could be because I didn't realize that I could use the Wing Amulet multiple times until the end of the game. Also the game had wonderful boss fights. I was also surprised how well done the combat was being that you control a 2D sprite in a 3D world at times. The game also significantly improved during the last two dungeons.

I'm playing through Origins currently and it seems like a much better game. My only complaints so far is that it seems to take place in only one dungeon and that the game is too easy (guess Felghana succeeded in toughing me up.)

These games come to a shock to me. I expected the Ys games to more or less be Trails with a real-time battle system, what I have gotten are dungeon crawlers, not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's generally regarded as the best Ys game?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

i think most people will say one of Oath in Felghana and Origins, depending on personal preference

Couldn't that be because those are the ones most people have played?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fantastic post Nate RFB.

WYA posted:

What do you guys rate Trails in the Sky out of 10
I know that people are giving you mildly sarcastic responses but it is fitting for this question. Trails is a hard game to rate because it's only the first half of a large game. Imagine if say Dragon Quest VIII was split into two games, with the first ending after you beat Doulmagus. It would be very difficult to rate this hypothetical Dragon Quest VIII: The First Chapter because you've only played one arc of a larger story. At that's roughly how Trails feels, it's a great game that is paced well but doesn't have that much of a payoff in the end.

But if I had to rate the game as it stands, it would be 8/10.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

While I am enjoying Ys Origins, I personally don't see why some people rank the series up with the likes of Final Fantasy and Legend of Heroes. It seems like a very above average series so far.

Nihilarian posted:

I had no idea this existed. I did know about this, though

That's like a JRPG right? It's an RPG and WoT is anime as hell, same thing.

Offtopic, but I'm sort of interested in getting into the Wheel of Time series. I enjoy the Lord of the Rings so I decided to read Game of Thrones, but got so bored with it a few chapters in.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So do the older people in this thread find it very difficult to play these games? I imagine it must take a while to beat a RPG when you have a family.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Basically this. I've been playing through FFXIII since it hit PC and I'm still barely into it, but I've finished two EO titles and Fantasy Life at work/on breaks/riding the train in that span.

Hopefully in the future they will have some type of handheld PC that runs Windows so I can play my Steam and GoG games on it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Who ever said that the sand boss from Ys Origins was a grindfest is completely right. The game so far had been completely grind free until that guy. Ridiculous. It's crazy because once you reach Level 34 he is crazy easy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I just keep hoping one day Ys will throw away the stupid XP/leveling system entirely but it just keeps going in the opposite direction so I'm pretty sure that'll never happen. :/

The games are the premier action JRPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ys Origins is very enjoyable so far. If it wasn't for having to grind out a level or two before some bosses it would be a GOTY contender.