Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DA II isn't on either list? I haven't played it and it seems the opinion is split on the game. I would be interested in getting it, now that it's less expansive. So what's the general opinion on the game? I liked it better when you could chose your race and your guy didn't talk but making the game more story driven doesn't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Talking about the Last Hope, I never got around to it. I heard good things about the combat and not much about the other aspects. Would the game be a good buy now? I suppose the price has dropped.

Also got around to playing DA2, I don't know what's about it I hate. I don't like the whole changed interface for abilities. The story telling idea seems neat, seeing the town and companions change with your journeys but unfortunately neither of them are interesting enough to give a drat about. The game on Nightmare is too frustrating unless you have a perfect build and on all the other difficulties it's easy as poo poo, you don't even have to use the radial menu's. Can't enjoy the combat at all because of that. Conversation is dumbed down compared to the first, the first line on the right is good, middle one is fun/indifferent(?) and third is bad. It's so obvious, your Hawke is either an angel or an evil murderer. The indifferent one never seems to have any affect in the conversations. Should have made it like The Witcher where your choices are less obvious and you have to think about your decisions. Not going to mention the recycled dungeons.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

You know you could have used hormones to make your character look like a female...

I just got the game today, I defeated the first two small bosses and stopped playing after that. Framerate drops in the 360 but I heard the same about the PS3 version, sad to see this since DS never had that issue.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

casual poster posted:

DS was my first game for my ps3, and I remember that after I went to that bridge were the dragon is (after the first boss) and he roasted all those soldiers on it, the frame rate dropped incredibly and I thought I had broken my ps3 :(

I was wrong in saying there was no framerate drop in Demon Souls but when it occurred there was something going on for it to happen. In Dark Souls it happens when you're fighting two regular skeleton and a guy throwing firebombs at you. I know the open world might be the reason behind it but when it occurs in every small confrontation its annoying. Don't know if installing it will do any good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have a DS(lite) but haven't bought much games on it except the Pokemon games from time to time. Can someone recommend worthwhile Jrpgs?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Stelas posted:

Recommended JRPGs...

Nice list, a few questions.

I never played any of the SMT games, will that be a hindrance?

What about Lunar, Tales Of, Mana'games? I have seen some discussion about those games in this thread, are they any good?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Quick question is Risen 2 coming out tomorrow on pc only or consoles too?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vampire mummies loose on a ship sounds like the setting of some 60s British sitcom.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started playing Drakengard. For an action rpg the combat is god awful. I know they were going for Dynasty Warrior style but dynasty warrior is a lot more responsive.

Still murdering millions of faceless soldiers as Caim is fun. The story is interesting so far which is what this game is known for.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Everything about the game looks meh but the worst part is that somehow Square are charging $50 for this...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Speaking of Disagaea, I played DS1 a while back loved it. I got DS2 during the winter sale. Did they change how clerics level up in D2? Because in D1 it legit is one of the worst aspects of the game. Only way to level up clerics is by killing monsters which is retarded. In 2, is it like Fire Emblem where you just heal and get exp for that?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

i never played the ys games. Do I have to start from number 1 or what

I started with Ys Origin and it was a really good introduction to the series. Ys 1+2 looks very basic in terms of combat compared to the rest of the series.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

If I thought that Final Fantasy X was incredibly mediocre and dull in every way possible is there any reason for me to try FFXII that recently came out on Steam?

I personally liked FFX a lot but I noticed people who normally hate FFX like FFXII since the combat is much faster.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Agean90 posted:

p5 tries to be rebellious but its written by a bunch of square motherfuckers so it screws it up

damned if it aint stylish as gently caress about it tho

P5's all about social outcasts but actually none of the main cast are social outcasts but just that the writers want you to believe that they are. Meanwhile true social outcasts in Japan like homeless people and LGBT are made fun of. Seriously I can't see how any of the main party members wouldn't be the most popular kids in their school other than Futaba who doesn't even go to school.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Alpha Protocol lets you go to a locker early in the tutorial and equip a tactical beard

Going full viking beard, aviator sunglasses is the cannon look for Alpha Protocol and being a total jerk to everyone.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SoM was easy cash grab for Square. They didn't do a proper remaster, they just had to up the graphics a bit or atleast not make it look like mobile. Also why touch the music? It is a nostalgia cash grab and you are changing the music?

At this point no one is surprised that Square is dumb as hell. They are the same people who develop new engines like Luminous then produce to not develop anything on it other than 15.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone played Shadow Hearts? I am planning on starting that once I finish Persona 5. RPG and horror are some of my favorite genres. I know Shadow Hearts is suppose to be dark in terms of atmosphere/story, thats all I know.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

Shadow Hearts is incredible and it definitely has horror elements, really monstrous designs, lots of cthulhu nods, some real dark moments, but keep in mind that it pairs its horror with pretty broad comedy. Yuri's a real goof of a protagonist, even if he's also a pretty sympathetic character. SH1 only really goes to the comedy well a few times, and mostly in side characters, but Shadow Hearts 2 is pretty goofy even if it's also a really well written game with some legitimately great character building.

also theres some gay jokes but Persona 5, so. and SH2 just has a legitimately gay party member (as in just says "i'm gay" when a woman starts hitting on him) whos a really goofy superhero pastiche but is also the most legitimately heroic of the main characters and probably the third or fourth most well-developed of the party members.

King of Solomon posted:

Shadow Hearts is incredible, it's one of my favorite RPGs to this day.

Cool cool. Really excited to start it once I finish Persona 5 which I am at the latter stages of.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

I have always like the idea of RPG games but never really gotten into them, but Divinity 2 has caught my interest and I am installing it now.
It look accessible enough but has anyone got any tips for a novice?

The only real experience I have is in WoW / Guild Wars 2 etc probably, what with the stats and stuff, apart from that a bit of Skyrim but I never clicked with that at all.

I haven't played it myself yet but I heard the co op is really well implanted so if you have a friend who has it you can co op it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

credburn posted:

I can't believe how epic this game can make the most mundane sidequest.

I know Witcher 3 is really loved and I like the franchise in a lot of aspects but the combat is weak imo. IT isn't TES or Fallout weak but it is still really bad. I wish CD Projekt Red focuses on the combat first for Cyberpunk 2077.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

chumbler posted:

Monster Hunter concept art rules.

Whoever drew these was high as gently caress when he saw the animals or it was probably very badly described if not painted on site.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I can see why they didn't hype it up and just released it out of nowhere. Would be weird trying to hype up a mobile port but its SE so you never know.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

There was some Xenogears talk a page back. Is that the game where the 2nd cd is basically a light novel and Square gave them no money to finish it?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Colonel posted:

they had plenty of money, they just went way over their expected dev time since all titles square developed had a number of years they expected the game to be finished in and the dev team included lots of newer staff and the director figured wrapping up the second disc the way they did was better than leaving the story unfinished

But I do believe one of the reasons Monolith left Square is because they knew Square wasn't going to invest money into non FF games. But ya I can see Monolith also being incompetent with the money or overreaching. Xenoblade Chronicles definitely seems to do that but not as an extreme case as Xenogears.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Huh? Xenoblade Chronicles 1 is a pretty complete game, thanks to Nintendo giving them tons of time and direction.

Ya mb I meant X.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

I guess it doesn't matter on the easier difficulties :shrug:

Well any game on easy difficulty can be played any way. You can ignore most mechanics and just bruteforce your way.

Accordion Man posted:

Which one? DA:O plays more like Baldur's Gate so its not intended to be an APRG.

DA:O you definitely need to micromanage your party and pause a lot more even though you can give them preset commands.

I actually like the combat of DA:2. The combat is a lot faster pace but there is still strategy involved in the skills and build path you go with. I remember going two handed berserker sort of build in that game. Didn't really require any pausing actions. But ya that build on nightmare was basically a solo run because you would kill your party because of the friendly fire while you were swinging around your huge rear end sword.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

SE make some good games and also some bad ones

Also Square publishes a poo poo tons of games. I thought Square made like 2 Final fantasy games per generation and 1 DQ then it was whatever their western studios made.

But apparently Square freaking published 18 games last year.

Anyway I will wait for DQ 11 to come on Steam 20 years from now as a port of a vr remake.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

No, SE is just run by a bunch of idiots. See: Their lazy rear end mobile ports of games that literally made them what they are today.

And the even lazier ports of those mobile ports to PC via Steam, with Chrono Trigger being the most recent casualty. They clearly could've done things properly, as we saw with Romancing SaGa 2, but they didn't even though FF and CT are far bigger than the SaGa series ever has been. If anything, the effort RS2 got makes their most recent laziness with Chrono Trigger even more baffling.

I still can't believe someone at Square thought the first 10 hours of FF13 was a game because it is not. Just move forward and auto combat until you get to the 2nd half of the story.

FFT on Steam and Square's dumb rear end will be forgiven.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

A casual google search shows an interview back before the game's release where Square said they had no plans for a PC or Xbox release. That was a while ago and they've done a lot of ports for other games since then, but I think generally the Steam ports we've gotten for most of their other games since then were multi-platform releases, like the 13 trilogy being on Xbox/Ps3 or FF9 getting updated for mobile/playstation/steam. SO4 was multi-platform too, but SO5 was a Playstation exclusive, so maybe it's a lot tougher to churn out a lazy PC port if you haven't already done some of that work making it function on multiple systems during the original dev cycle. Maybe the Xbox hardware is really similar to PC hardware development and that source code is easier to port than PS4 code? Just a guess, even though games like Type-0 and World of FF were on multiple Playstation consoles and still saw PC ports. It seems like PC ports are much more in their awareness now though, with FF15 and Zodiac Age getting ports very soon (comparatively) after their releases, so maybe from here on out Steam releases of most Square games become the norm

Oh you forgot the 23 years later port of the classic beloved game Chrono Trigger but as the mobile version for $20 limited time only. Well atleast their FFXV port seems like it is really well done.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

With all the JRPG PC ports we've been getting, it feels like Atlus are the last big holdouts that I actually care about. Unfortunately, most of Atlus's big games have been on the 3DS, so we can pretty much forget about those getting a Steam release ever. Hell, Deep Strange Journey isn't even getting a Switch release, so it seems like they're not interested in doing that conversion process at all. The most we could probably hope for is Persona 5 if we're really really lucky.

As of now it is pretty unlikely for any Atlus game to come out Steam. But maybe in the future they will change their stance on it. Many companies have started to pretty much develop for PC alongside consoles which is uncommon in Japan.

Sega in general have been slow to port their games over. Maybe they will port Yakuza in a few years.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sounds like you just don't like playing good games then.

Ya its hard to be a JRPG fan and not own a console but this has probably been the best it has ever been if you have a pc. I will probably get a ps4 down the line to play Bloodborne since that will for sure never come to pc.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Afrika, fuckers

Afrika looked cool but from watching the cg trailers I thought you would play the animals and not loving David Attenborough sitting in his jeep taking pictures of wildlife.

Morpheus posted:

Tokyo Jungle, motherfuckers.

And you know a shitload of other stuff.

But when I want to troll around Tokyo as a pomeranian that wants to murder and gently caress, Tokyo Jungle.

Thank god this game was made. It was great rampaging through Tokyo as a slow rear end crocodile.

Also I agree DeS is really good. The combat is a lot slower but the level design is great and the bosses are all fun.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

I strongly disagree. I think that most of Dark Souls has ok atmosphere, but generally doesn't stand out (within souls/bloodborne anyway) outside of a couple areas (Ash Lake being the big one). Most of DeS is very atmospheric, with the Tower of Latria being so notable that they brought it up as something to aspire to when designing Bloodborne.

E: And yeah, Maiden Astraea is pure atmosphere and still one of my favorite bosses in souls because of it, even if she's not HARD, per se.

Blight Town is pretty good in terms of atmosphere. It is similar to the valley of defilement but I feel like Blighttown's atmosphere has a lot to do with it's level design and gameplay. Valley of Defilement's atmosphere is more visually related with the surroundings, boss and monsters. Blight town is really confusing at first with all its ladders and shacks. Any misstep and you will surely die. Also when you walk into blighttown the entire game's color changes. You can tell you are going to a very dark bad place.

Tower of Latria and the Shrine of Storms are probably my most favorite levels in souls games.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

I played Demon's Souls patiently and earnestly, but got extremely frustrated at the negative progress that resulted from my being terrible and dying to the same loving guy over and over again all morning no matter what I tried right in front of a save point in the second level, so I vowed never to play a Souls game or any game that wanted to be a Souls game.

It's fine you don't have to like every game. At least you gave the game a shot.

I would recommend playing the game co op but I am not sure about Demon Soul's server status.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I heard there are private servers or something. I forgot if in Demon Souls you could summon NPCs to help you? I do remember Ostrava helps you in 1 fight. But I never use the summons so I don't remember if he was the only one.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Chrono Cross is a garbage rear end game but Time's Scar is one of the most beautiful songs in JRPGs and gaming for me. Can't believe Mitsuda's first job was Chrono Trigger along with Nobuo Uematsu.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

They reined it in fine for DQ8! Also looking at their games list, man I kinda wish somebody would port Layton (and Phoenix Wright, why not) to the PC.

Ya a lot of people like Danganronpa/999 vn adventure style games on steam. I think Ace Attorney would do pretty good on PC for a game of it's size. But isn't there like basically no 3DS port at all? Because of the cost and process.

PSP or PSV ports are more likely which is why I am hoping for a Crisis Core HD remaster one day. Just to hear this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJ91H4mraU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tae posted:

When's the last time you played Pokemon

In Pokemon Blue and Red, Team Rocket are basically mutilating slowpokes to sell their tails. I never realized how dark some parts of those games were until I replayed them as an adult.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I would love a new Way of the Samurai but am hesitant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Roluth posted:

So, how good is DQ 11 anyways? Hasn't it already been released in Japan?

I don't know but you can ride a dragon and horses.

Don't know if prior DQ's had this. I only played half of 8.

Happy to see it finally on Steam and hopefully it runs well.