Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes but it's still more than I can find elsewhere.

Apparently Dragon Quest was created when some guy loved Wizardry but wanted to make it more accessible to the general public. And from what I've been told DQ is unquestionably the biggest JRPG series ever in Japan so maybe this is why Wizardry's legacy has continued more there.

(Also not counting Pokemon as a JRPG series. It's kind of its own thing....)

pokemon is an offshoot of dragon quest and megami tensei on the jrpg family tree

and megami tensei is literally wizardry with recruitable monsters instead of a human party, down to the seemingly-incomprehensible hellmazes

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

I have this problem with modern roguelikes ala Slay The Spire, FTL and now Chrono Ark. And it goes something like this.

Run 1: Ok that was a loss. That was inevitable. That's how this game works. We were prepared for this.
Run 2: Alright we're unlocking things. These runs haven't been 'for nothing'. We're making progress.
Run 3: Are these things I'm unlocking 'better' or simply 'different'? Am I on a treadmill here?
Run 5: THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE I AM INCOMPETENT DOGSHIT! I AM A HUMAN FAILSTATE! gently caress MY STUPID MEAT PRISON!

seems a little quick to come to those kinds of conclusions

maybe just, uh, play the game so that you get better?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

when you get to around 10000 pages the radium code starts breaking down

so this thread should be good for another 30 years

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ControlV posted:

Any good RPGs similar to the original 'Phantasy Star?' I LOVED the Switch port and I can't 100% place why - perhaps the first-person maze exploration? I tried the sequels, but they didn't do it for me.

megami tensei

there are a lot of old western rpgs that are first person tile-based dungeon crawlers too, but i don't know if i can in good conscience recommend many of them as they tend to be overly obtuse and/or grindy.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 3, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zushio posted:

Legend of Grimrock is pretty good. Most people prefer the sequel, but I haven't played it.

grimrock is a dungeon-master-like which is a genre that branched off of regular dungeon crawlers; the defining difference is that dungeon master and its line are real-time while a standard dungeon crawler is mostly turn-based. people tend to either love or hate this style of gameplay, but it is definitely not similar to phantasy star

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Barudak posted:

Click on the question mark under my name and jump to page 19 of my posts. 19 and 20 have most of my thoughts on the game but something not in there is there is honestly just way too much game and its so slow and boring for most of it

i mean, it's a bard's tale game. "way too much, slow and boring, and you hit the level cap way too early" is the signature style of the series. this was ok in 1985 because rpg players were desperate for huge games and that outweighed the flaws but i can't imagine how anybody looked at 1-3 and said "yeah, we need more of that". BT is a transition fossil between wizardry and might & magic, the equivalent of the lungfish - worse than what came before and worse than what came after.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

people on the internet always say that phantasia, destiny, etc. are tedious, old and outdated tales games when the subject comes up, but frankly i never see anything posted about the later tales games that makes them seem better. worse, mostly.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i mean there are more recent tales games that have flaws but i don't think the vast majority of them are worse than phantasia psx having tediously long spell animations that you end up just watching for 1/3 of the game. that's a problem that literally no tales game has after eternia while like symphonia, legendia, abyss, vesperia and zestiria all have their problems, most of them are older 3d tales games and zestiria's just a design mess. most of the games are just decently fun

it's really only destiny and phantasia that are like that out of the 2d games and they have remakes that fix all those problems though, so. complaints with them are mostly that the good versions aren't in english

the complaints about phantasia and destiny are about...the spell animations??? i played a little bit of psx phantasia but mostly snes, was that an issue on snes? phantasia isn't one of my absolute favorite snes/psx rpgs, but that's mostly just because the competition in those two generations is so stiff.

there are things about those games that are not fantastic, but i don't think people should be discouraged from playing them whenever tales comes up just because it takes a bit for klarth and arche to cast spells

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Endorph posted:

it's not the spell animations, its that the entire game pauses when the spells start and doesnt start back up until the animation finishes. its insanely tedious when those two are casting spells every few seconds

so don't do that. put their ai script on manual cast and save them for bosses or encounters where you're getting your rear end kicked. cless can solo most fights pretty easily and chester doesn't pause the game when he shoots his bow, either.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Endorph posted:

saying not to have half the party do the things theyre supposed to do and literally just stand there, is not a solution

having your wizards not cast in every encounter is an extremely common strategy in 90s rpgs. you don't break out summons for every encounter in FF7 either.

the game is about beating poo poo up with cless and the rest of the party is just a bunch of "oh poo poo" buttons. this isn't world-class design or anything but i don't think it sets it apart as uniquely bad compared to other games of the era. if you're gonna slam phantasia there are a lot of beloved classics in other series that gently caress everything up with long spell animations if you use them to kill every encounter.

phantasia's shittiness is clearly some kind of sacred idol for this thread tho so i'll shut the gently caress up i guess.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Spoken as someone who didn't actually play JRPGs in the 90s.

Hell back in that time frame people posted about how to optimize summoning animations and how much it sucked in FF8 because summoning was all you needed to do.

this thread is unbelievably rude today

i did. i got sick of the high-level summon animations and stuck to the concise ones like shiva and ifrit because i do not need bahamut zero to win the game for me but take twice as long as just using regular attacks and magic. the high-level summons exist so you can delete an encounter if it's giving you more trouble than you want to engage with, not as your primary attack style. if part of the game is both unfun and unnecessary, but there's the option to just keep playing the fun way, why would you engage with the unfun playstyle?

The Colonel posted:

why do you think people who generally like parts of phantasia saying its combat is tedious means we think it's lovely i've literally said several times i like aspects of phantasia but the original game without the improvements from the enhanced psp port just has design problems

if you wanted me to talk about a game i think is actually lovely i could complain about how i didn't really like thousand arms or something

well, mostly because whenever somebody pops in and says "hey, i want to play a tales" people post like phantasia is overall not worth playing. the pitfalls you've described are both common and easily avoidable if a player would prefer to keep doing the action combat instead of using the casters, and while i have not played a 3D tales game, posts about them often bring up flaws that seem larger in scope than phantasia's to me.

also your posting tone contributes to the perception that you really don't want me to say that i think phantasia is an enjoyable game that people should consider playing (if they like that era of rpgs at all). if that's not true, then i apologize.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 5, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Clarste posted:

Wow, I've heard about that before but thought it was just like one spell or a weapon or something. That's almost impressive.

microsoft didn't teach office 2000 about norse mythology and somebody was asleep at the wheel just hitting "yes" to all of the spellcheck prompts i guess

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it is okay to hype up old rpgs if you like them. anybody who consciously picks up a retro rpg knows that that is what they are doing and probably enjoys them!

again i am not sure why this comes up so much in tales discussions but not about dragon quest or final fantasy. it is uncontroversial to recommend ff7, dragon quest 5, etc. as classics worth playing, whether in their original release form or a more modern re-release. are they for everybody? no. but rpg state of the art hasn't advanced so much that someone who likes modern rpgs would find nothing to enjoy in 90s rpgs.

wateyad posted:

It has the same thing going on as Phantasia where it would feel weird to recommend because there’s a superior version that’s Japanese only but even more so because while the new versions of Phantasia have been incremental improvements, Destiny PS2 is a total, ground up, new game retelling the same story remake that some would argue the Director’s Cut thereof is still the best complete package in the series.

why does this matter? it is a different game. a 3D game! if a 2D zelda was remade in 3D, would that immediately result in people feeling weird about recommending the 2D version?

recommend what you want to recommend, with whatever caveats you feel are necessary, and trust in your audience to know whether your recommendation lines up with their tastes. nobody is going to sink 40 hours into tales of destiny because they read your post and then say "man, i actually really hate retro rpgs and would rather have played something more modern." they will just not play it in the first place, or bounce off very early, because it is not appealing to them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Endorph posted:

Destiny PS1 is a wholly inferior experience to Destiny PS2. It doesn't come up with ff or dq because all the improved versions got translated, and because FF7 remake is not a completely superior product than FF7 psx.

And also destiny DC is not a 3d game.

i was not talking about the improved version thing when i mentioned ff or dq; that was the subject of my response to wateyad, not the part of my post you quoted. in a world where there had never been any enhanced versions of ff7 (like, say, the switch re-release - ff7r isn't relevant since that is a wholly separate game) or dq5, people would still recommend that folks should play them because they are good games. the improvements are either entirely quality of life, like the speed-up and cheatmenu in ff7 switch, or just gravy on top of the original, like in the dq5 re-releases.

destiny DC is absolutely hybrid 2d/3d in its aesthetic. i didn't mean that the battle system or whatever had been changed to be 3d although i should have been clearer about that.

quote:

Why do you keep trying to lecture people on how to talk about a series you clearly know nothing about.

i, uh, i don't even know where to start here. i make a single mistake in phrasing about a japan-only game and now i know absolutely nothing about the series?

i just flatly don't understand the attitude that old rpgs should not be recommended. i am glad that ff and dq generally get a pass on this. it would be nice to have a civil discussion - this is literally the first time in years that i've encountered this kind of personal pushback in an SA topic thread and it's like going back in time to a worse era of this website.

Phantasium posted:

also it might be uncontroversial to recommend ffvii, but how many people are going to recommend, like, 2 or 3?

nobody recommends 2 because it's universally perceived as awful, but i've seen several folks in the ff thread pick up ff3 nes and enjoy it a lot, so i would recommend it to someone. not as their first FF, but if someone wanted a list of FFs to check out it would be on the list.

to be clear, i think it's perfectly fine to make it very clear that phantasia, destiny, etc. are not necessarily good entry points to the series in TYOOL 2020 unless the player is prepared for the idiosyncracies of the era. but unless you genuinely don't like the games, it seems strange to me to not recommend them simply due to age.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 6, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i am invoking the ghost of fyad rn, to spread a ghostly message to all far and wide, that tales of phantasia and tales of destiny have some problems. you will never stop me, from destroying all old rpgs, for i am the dark lord of thinking some old tales games have some problems. before you can face me, you will first have to face my four apostles, who i have scattered across the four corners of the land with the four fragments of the magical report button. challenge me, if you dare... mwahahahaaha!!!

please, no...i really don't want to do the dungeon where you fight the spirit of lowtax, although if i can recruit uwe boll as an npc it might be ok

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

seriously tho i never meant to stir people up. i'm happy to acknowledge that old tales games have problems; i didn't find them a dealbreaker, other people might, idk. i consider them classics and would recommend them with exactly the same caveats as most other games of the era - there are bad design decisions, but they don't ruin the game or make it not worth playing. this is sort of a recurring theme throughout most eras of rpg design, honestly; how much you enjoy any rpg depends on your tolerance for the particular design trends that influenced it at the time and this varies a lot between people.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Colonel posted:

well the first game was written assuming it would get an english release so none of that is a problem in it but in later games they just kinda wing it

it's funny that the reason dai gyakuten will never get officially tled probably still has more to do with the doyle estate than with any of that

people used to make holmes games in the west all the time without contacting the doyle estate, did something change to make holmes not public domain?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I guess I could give that a try, sure. I mostly just like how the EO dungeons encourage the cartography by having a number of things to note down and FOE paths to draw and one way paths and such. I doubt it'd be quite as much fun to draw my own map in one of those old dungeon crawlers that's just a series of featureless hallways. I guess what I really want is more goddamn EO games, sadly. Maybe it's been long enough I should just replay EO3, I probably forgot most of the map gimmicks...

old dungeon crawlers do have those things and more. you were explicitly supposed to map them and they make it interesting in the same way EO does; EO just has the graph paper in the game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

If true then this is surprising since the original was hailed as one of the best JRPGs ever, especially during the 90s.

i would say it had one of the most ambitious frameworks of any 90s jrpg, but in practice there is a lot of broken poo poo and missed opportunities. and i say this as someone who really loves the original.

i'm not sure i would say that the remake is universally an improvement (i still prefer the overhead view, sprites, and the fan translation's place/people names - also, multiplayer) but it is definitely better overall

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bof1 is a very straightforward JRPG. not bad, not outstanding, generally too easy. the only real piece of bullshit is a totally optional sidequest where you sit on your rear end for an hour or two talking to NPCs, but it's just to get the ultimate weapon for a character nobody uses.

bof2...is conceptually and mechanically much better, but ruined in execution and translation.

bof3 and 4 are gold tho

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i like lunar but if you were only going to choose three, these are my top picks.

drop star ocean 1 though it's a fuckin trash fire

2 is a bigger trash fire, though. i thought it suffered a lot from being an early 3d game in comparison to 1 being a pretty slick 2d game, and it's even more cryptic in some of its important side quests than 1 is. they both have a lot of issues, but not deal-breaking ones

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

1 is an incredibly bland jrpg that was innovative in 1995 because you could point at an item and turn it into a different item. the story is crap, you spend 99% of this sci-fi game on a shithole medieval planet.

by comparison at least you only spend 60% of the game on a shithole medieval planet in star ocean 2. SO1 doesn't even have value as a prequel because the stories are connected by a single character who makes a cameo appearance for all of ten minutes

just like final fantasy games, SO2 distinguishes itself with its amazing pre-rendered backgrounds. even if you can tell the teams had almost no communication because they have like tractors and poo poo in the foreground on the medieval planet lol

the combat is fun to break, and you can't do that in SO1 basically because it had processor limitations (and not in the remake because it's mostly mechanically faithful to the source). the crafting is opaque and mysterious but it's also the best crafting system star ocean has produced to date.

i think SO1's graphics are good, but squaresoft was producing better spritework at the time. if you've seen one lovely thatched roof jrpg village on the snes you've seen them all. SO2 is striking. sometimes it's ugly, especially on the world map, but its visuals are extremely memorable.

definitely play it on the ps1. hands down the coolest visual part of star ocean 2 is seeing primitive 3D models stretch and collapse into themselves as they transform into a completely separate model, and this was removed in the PSP verion.

at this point i guess i'm just going to have to accept that i will never understand what attracts people to early-mid psx 3d.

so2 felt very unpolished and janky to me compared to so1, although it is definitely more ambitious and distinctive; i suppose your preference comes down to whether you like "very competent but bland" or "kinda broken but ambitious" better.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Dragon Quest's lack of blockbuster status outside of Japan makes me think if Mario would be as popular today in a world where Nintendo fumbled the American NES launch and consoles were ressurected with the Genesis.

Would Super Mario World create a major splash to an audience exposed to tons of platformers already available?

What I'm trying to say is, I wonder how likely it is for a series that was groundbreaking to breakthrough the market in such a fashion when it is no longer (or not as) groundbreaking but still high quality.

deeply unlikely. mario would be just another b-tier platformer character like master higgins or gex, and probably the series would be just as dead in 2020 as those are.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

An alternate world where the Big game for the Switch is Gex Galaxy, an ambitious refinement of Gex gameplay

as much fun as that would be, i think gex came a little too late to benefit from any kind of breakthrough effect. in the absence of the NES, i think the turbografx hits the US sooner and revives the console market, honestly.

which means that the Hudson Switch's marquee games would be Bonk's Big Odyssey and Bomberman: Bombs of the Wild

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

klapman posted:

You honestly can skip it IMO. The Nazi guy's route is the only one that's remotely fun and the monkey guy and the rocker guy are tied for the worst things I've ever played, with so many fail states in them and just outright bugs that even directly following a guide we constantly ran up against problems. The elevator lady's route is ok and we didn't need a guide for it but it was also kind of tedious, and the guy that was left might have been alright if we hadn't spent 8 hours learning to hate the game and eachother lmfao.

It was for Extra Life too, so add sleep deprivation on top of all this. We ended up nearly getting into a fistfight over how to properly microwave the lasanga I brought. Absolutely wretched but really funny to look back on now that it's long since been over lmao

i'm struggling to understand how a frustrating video game and a bit of sleep deprivation led to this outcome. unless nazi-adjacent opinions were involved i guess, then it makes sense

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the post you are responding to is a type of humorous post known as "a joke"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

The FF Wiki doesn't make any direct connection between the series, but it's not impossible I suppose. FF was more inspired by D&D, though, to the point of even having Beholders and Mind Flayers (both monsters created by TSR) as frequent enemies, not to mention early games ripping off its magic system; DQ was the series inspired by Ultima and Wizardry.

wizardry had spell slots too y'know. and the red mage is a dead giveaway for the wizardry influence - d&d definitely did not have a divine/arcane caster whereas the bishop in wizardry was exactly that. the guy that made the monsters clearly had the monster manual open, though, yeah.

the ultima influence might have come by way of DQ rather than directly, though, yeah; the most ultima-like thing about FF is the top-down perspective, which could have easily just been from DQ or even Dragon Slayer, which square ported before they did FF.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 21, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Phantasium posted:

I don't think Castlevania was directly mentioned in the Bloodstained kickstarter either, and that everyone that has seen a resurgence since leaving Konami has spoken of them in the same sort of hushed tones. I feel like even Kojima has been like that.

konami is the most prominent game company (other than maybe sega) that is most likely still in very deep with the yakuza. used to be more common during the 80s and 90s before japanese game companies went international, but it's still a thing today

not saying this has anything to do with that particular tendency from former konami devs, but it's possible they're a bit spooked by the possibility of being targeted even if it's fairly remote

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zore posted:

Disgaea also has the problem where it isn't an SRPG so much as a grinding efficiency simulator.

it can be an srpg, but the player is the one that has to figure out the appropriate level curve to be challenged without being crushed. which is, uh, suboptimal game design from a traditional perspective, for sure.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

tbf that only really describes the postgame. the main story's level curve fits just about perfectly, at least in the Disgaeas I've played

but yeah it's a real big problem in the postgame

i guess this is true but you have to ignore all of the side features along the way. a few excursions into item world can easily break your curve forever. it would be nice to have some room for experimenting with all of the neat poo poo they want you to be using without feeling like you're just cheating the story missions

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Using the cheat shop to increase the enemy level would help that, would it not?

sure! but then we're back to designing our own level curve, and if you have empowered items then your level doesn't really correlate with your strength so it's not a simple thing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Levantine posted:

I agree completely. Lufia II is honestly one of the best games on the SNES for my money. I don't know why that type of RPG never caught on.

it's much harder to build zelda-like stuff into your 3D RPG and as has generally been the case in all genres, the indies that brought back 2D imitate the real whales of the genre like FF and DQ more than the cult classics, or just go off in entirely new directions. it was a very late snes game so no real opportunity for imitators in the same generation either.

i definitely agree that lufia 2 is full of concepts worth reviving though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Amppelix posted:

if i wanted to play a battle network game, which should it be? or asked another way, any reason i shouldn't play 1

never touched them but i did play a lot of star force

nah 1 is great. i feel like jumping straight into 2 will get you bodied, because the game's difficulty curve absolutely picks up where 1 left off, after a brief tutorial section. just...use the maps of the internet that are available, it makes it a lot more enjoyable when you know how to get where you want to go. i think 1 is less loved partially because people get lost a lot since it is hard to understand the routes through the internet areas with the very zoomed-in view making it difficult to see the full scope of the area.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 3, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Barudak posted:

I thought the way it worked as star levels were a soft cap on the gains you got from random battles with bigger differences between you and current star level meaning more often and bigger gains from battle.

Still a weird system that benefits tremendously from just no random encounters

sort of. characters that don't participate in battle don't get the mid-star level stat increases, and a character that is consistently unused for a long period of time will not be able to get enough increases from random battles within their current star level to fully catch up to the characters you use all the time. they will catch up most of the way because their stat increases will be larger, and eventually if they are used for several star levels they will be on par, but within a particular star level there are limits to how much you can catch them up. this also means that the late-game recruits need to be used ASAP if you want to use them at all, because they will be very far behind just as if they were an early-game recruit that you never used but there aren't many star levels left to catch them up with.

this is mostly irrelevant in practice, the game isn't hard enough at most points for it to matter.

the biggest pitfall you can run into is the glitch where a dead character cannot gain star levels. if you care about a character's power, never end a boss fight with them dead or they will be permanently behind.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 9, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Nope. And the devs haven't mentioned it for years so I think it's dead.

They also kickstarted a game in the meantime that was supposed to be released in 2017 but is also way behind
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/victory-belles

that company is two dudes working in their spare time with a pathological hatred of deadlines and displaying any signs of progress. one of them pretends to be a PR rep on their forums, or they have a buddy who is enough of a sucker to do it, who reassures the three people who haven't lost faith in year 2's existence that it'll be done Soon about once a month, every month, for the last ten years

Snake Maze posted:

Academagia is fun but it really bugs me that they have separate stats for how well you actually know a subject and how well you can do on a test for that subject, and actually going to class raises neither.

If you want to get good grades you should skip class to go to the library.

that's not completely true. class does give you skill points, and even semi-unique rewards like obscure phemes, it's just that the rate is so slow it's barely noticeable, with most days of class being totally worthless and a few select ones throughout the year giving mechanical benefits. which days are beneficial are different for each class, maybe even shuffled per-playthrough, so it's basically impossible to game.

god, what a game. if it were more moddable so that poo poo like crafting, dueling, and the interface could actually be fixed by mods it would be incredible

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 11, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pyrus Malus posted:

I think I wanna play Dragon Quest 5 but I wanna ask y'all both what I'm getting into and which version is best. I'm up for fan translations too if any are good.

you're getting into probably the best dragon quest, although the competition is rough

i liked the snes fan translation but that is probably not the sane answer for "which version is best" since the remakes add so much to it from what i understand

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Use the preexisting female versions of Erdrick and Solo, and either 1) invent female alts for Eight / Eleven or 2) use the last two slots for the heroes from Five and Seven. There were canonical female versions of the Hero and instead we got recolours!

the main character of five is not a Hero and that's exactly the kind of dumb poo poo squareenix cares about so we'll never see purple turban goku in smash no matter how rad he is

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 10, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Holy moly, going from Disgaea 5 to 1 is a big step down. I'm so constantly broke just using the hospital! I can't even buy better weapons at this point, all I can do is item world dives and hope I break even at worst.

money is pretty scarce early on but just dive into the item world for gladiators and stack them on somebody's weapon, that will generally let you go further in the item world than you "should" be able to given the overall strength of your team and you'll start making lots of money very fast. also, make sure you create big geo-chains whenever the item world presents you with a relatively convenient opportunity to do so - i generally don't end up buying weapons because weapon upgrades from the bonus prizes are quite common.

i don't really suggest hitting the item world much at all if you intend to progress through the story in a normal way though, going into it in the early game is more for replays imo. the curve breaks exceedingly quickly if you aren't just playing the story missions in order.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I think at that point, you have a really inefficient and clumsy mace.

correct but that's what you need to deal w/ good plate, you're not going to get very far trying to slash at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Amppelix posted:

another text-related gripe in bof 3: the game has a text speed setting but the options are "laughably slow", "still unbearably slow" and "this would be the middle setting in another game but at least it's not horrible"

l i t t le m o n e y