Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Sooo I just played a game called Crimson Shroud.

I dig the art direction and, Matsuno is just, my favorite human being when it comes to video games, but aside from that I don't really have many good things to say about it. Admittingly Matsuno's writing is a big part of the game (although this entry into his portfolio seemed rather weak, honestly. I think he is better suited to giant political struggles and not....dungeon crawls....)

The biggest problem is that there's way too much random chance involved. I know that it's a jrpg, but random chance is such an awful game mechanic and having to actually roll the virtual dice makes it all the more unbearable. And the game doesn't really evolve in any way as your characters get stronger. The optimal strategy is always apply buffs/debuffs and attack.

also, a design choice I have not seen in 80000 years, having to get plot-related items necessary to advancing the game forward from random mob drops. and it's not even hinted that you are supposed to do this.

On the other hand, the 3d effect on the 3DS actually looks really good and it's only eight dollars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

board game? like monopoly? my understanding that it was supposed to draw very heavily from d&d and be a tabletop game in that sense, but it really isn't unless you count the aesthetics, since all characters are literally game pieces, because you never make any choices. the gm is a railroading rear end in a top hat!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Not very far into Front Mission 5, but I gotta say, this is almost everything I've ever wanted in a SRPG. Every time a new gameplay mechanic is introduced, I'm stunned that the game has become better than I thought could have been possible.

also it is so cool watching a mech swerve around a building and unload a shotgun into another mech.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

To be honest I would hesitate to even say that disgaea is a strategy rpg because there is little to no strategy involved. it's almost entirely about leveling up your weapons and shields and hats and getting to level 9000 and dealing nine hundred billion points of damage to artificial intelligence monsters.

I know this is not what you are asking for, but I feel that it is my god given duty to warn you to stay far away from that series and play Front Mission 5 instead because it's the most fun I have had with a SRPG in a long time.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Calling any game great before it comes out its pretty odd. Oh yes, I have been told to believe that AAA title will be good, because so many people are talking about it and saying that it is going to be good, which they could not do if that was not true.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Wow Suikoden III takes 1000000 hours to complete.

So, I've never played Suikoden IV. I've heard many things about it being bad. Can someone tell me why it is bad and if it is worth it to play for someone who has never touched it before? I don't care about spoilers or anything.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Pesmerga is Yuber's dad.

Alrighty, will do. It's a shame, though, cause the rune of punishment seemed kind of cool. Reminded me of the Soul Eater, which is the best true rune. Boy am I sick of all these true elemental runes. They're suuuuuper boring!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

Illusion of Gaia was lame and I'll stand by this fact forever

I hate you more than anyone in the entire world

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I've always preferred IoG over Terranigma. Wonky translation aside, IoG had a much better plot in my opinion.

I felt like the sketchy plot added to the whole dreamlike quality the game had.

I was eaten by Riverson and became Riverson

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

You don't need to grind. Use magic ring. Lightning ring;.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

soul blazer is a video game where you can defeat mudmen that slowly crawl towards you from 50000 pixels away at the rate of 1 pixel per second.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I'm not sure who told you that Shadowrun was a good RPG. or a good game. It is neither, although it has a cool setting.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

PurplieNurplie posted:

One thing that I've noticed playing a lot of different RPGs, whether they be western, eastern, whatever, is that any main character/avatar/whatever is criminally inexperienced, whether it be because of amnesia or just being new to their environment.

Obviously, this is for the benefit of the player, as often in your first time playing an RPG you feel the same way as the character in question, adding to your immersion.

What I'm looking for, however, is an RPG where whatever character you play as or use the most often is the opposite; very experienced in whatever world or setting you're in. Think Final Fantasy X if you played as Auron instead of Tidus, or Planescape: Torment where you played as Morte instead of TNO.

Anyone have any recommendations?

There is the mostly translated snes RPG, Dark Half, where you play as two characters in alternating chapters: A golden warrior out to destroy evil, and Satan. The warrior is powerful, but Satan blows him and everyone else out of the water with ridiculous magic and summoning. Also as Satan, one of the first things you do is walk into a town and turn all the villagers into skeletons while spouting one-liners.

It kind of requires a guide to know what the frack is going on with the game mechanics, though. I don't recall much being explained.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

What!!! I had no idea FM2 was playable for non-japanese speakers in any capacity. I must play it now. I must play it to see...the fall of Roid. I looked at a screenshot and had my mind blown. spoilers for eight hundred year old games.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

That would mean you would not be able to read any spoilers at all, you clown.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

I've played Star Ocean 2 at least three times and I've never even heard of this crazy shield. It sounds cheap as hell anyway, why use that trick when you can TEAR INTO PIECES

sounds like you've been playing it wrong all this time.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Stop playing after Midgar. do yourself...biggest favor.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Why would you want to build custom teams. All of the characters are functionally the same after you get magic.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The GBA version has added optional content, but I recall it having some kind of issue. But I don't remember what it was.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it has a very good soundtrack and is on the whole appalling

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

there's only one bad front mission game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Overminty posted:

As someone who only played the gba remake of BoF2 would it be worth trying the snes version with this translation? I don't remember if the remake added anything new.

Yes. The GBA remake added inferior art and lovely color.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Was Secret of the stars an actual sci-fi rpg, or was it yet another instance of the game either having nothing to do with space or Claude C. Kenni spending five seconds aboard a spaceship before crash landing into a rural rpg town and picking up a sword?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

I just looked it up and it looks like for battles they have just made interactive anime clips rather than create character models or anything like that. It looks terrible and anime as gently caress

Why is an interactive anime clip somehow worse than character models?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Because they did it the expensive early 90s way and didn't have enough money to get a decent framerate and/or very many animations to work with.

Sounds like all rpgs I have ever played.

quote:

In fact, I'll go as far as to say that SMRPG is incredibly generic and not really memorable. It's not about the gags and humor, but the characters and settings themselves.

What games have you played are so much like SMRPG that you would call it generic? where are they? where are these fabulous games?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I'll be leaving on a week-long business trip this weekend, and all I'll be able to bring is a non-gaming laptop. Anyone have some nice, long RPGMaker games they can recommend? I've been playing Tales of the Drunken Paladin (it's great), and I tried Master of the Wind (too preachy), and I've also finished both Exit Fate and Last Scenario.

master of the wind is freaking awful. a lot of the games that have awards on rpgmaker sites are awful because of the program's ability to attract fifteen year olds.

these are not long but they are great:

Rise of the Third Power (not even finished, basically a demo but wow good feelings. kind of hard to explain why it is so good feeling but play it and ye shall know...)
Rose Chronicles (download link (also not finished but very beautiful and a triumph of intelligent game design. hard to find a download link of the latest version. i will ask my contacts)
Balmung Cycle is very good game with Treasure of the Rudras graphics and norse mythology.
Sunset Over Imdahl is not an RPG. there are no battles. There are just some minigames and you talking to people, trying to figure out what happened to the town you are in. All of the backgrounds are hand-drawn and the game looks very pretty.

as for longer games~~ unfortunately last scenario and exit fate are top-tier and nothing really comes close...but..

The Way is kind of polarizing. it's an episodic series with a very interesting world which the author never really explained very well because he was going through some severe mental trauma of some kind when he was making the latter games. This video is a good metaphor for how the series ends. Also, a lot of items and scenes you will just not find without a walkthrough, which does exist. That said, I really like collecting stuff and playing as an amoral, psychotic murderer, so this is cool. Also, it has the option to turn regular battles off, which I like. Along with Exit Fate and Last Scenario, this is the only rpgmaker game (games) I have ever replayed.
Dhux's Scar has an interesting plot and characters+battle archetypes until about halfway through the game. At 3/4 of the way through I found myself saying "Really....Really..." because of how bad things had gotten. Consider playing until "the twist" (you will know) and then stopping because anything you make up will be better than what comes next. Also, it features customized rpgmaker gore.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The other day I felt some weird desire to complete the Xenosaga trilogy, having only beaten the first game some 11 years ago (yikes)! From what I've heard, the second's combat is really bad, but the third picks up somewhat and is generally regarded as the best in the series. So two questions: 1) Do all the meandering storylines ever begin to come together at any point, and 2) Do they manage to write Chaos, who in my mind represents all the worst trends in JRPG characterization, out of the plot?

The third is, in fact, the worst, and not canon.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Syrg Sapphire posted:

He's being GulagDolls again, nothing de-canons it.

I also wonder how the hell you could consider XS3 worse than 2 unless oh my god you were playing entirely for the story weren't you

edit: but seriously, HaKox existing means XS3 is categorically the best in series

they murderized the story without the original author's consent starting at the second half of the second game. 3 has incredibly dumbed down battle systems +character building systems, turning the entire game into press attack command button over and over to win as opposed to more tactical combat of previous two games. Also, it's bad.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

regular enemies that can kill you are a good thing. There is no point to having them otherwise (and they should in fact be stripped out of the game if there is not a high level of difficulty) as the battles conclusion is already guaranteed at the very beginning if you are smart enough to press the attack command enough times or figure out that the ice monster is weak against fire (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Waste of time - Dias Flac before being murdered by a planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVZ63QEUZv8 this song is cool.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Can anyone help me out here with The Last Remnant
Something is simply not making sense to me in terms of combat/exploration. I am using a xbox controller and it says hit RT to taunt a enemy so that I basically engage them before they get the jump on me, and a bonus in combat

Yet it seems like unless I hit it, get them to chase me and than just keep spamming RT I almost never engage the fight myself and instead am starting many fights at a disadvantage. WTF am I missing? Do I have lock on with LT than hit RT or what?

The game simply said use RT to engage a enemy first

Whatever button or trigger you are looking for makes rush do an anime pose as a giant circle expands around him, engaging any enemies caught in it. Is that happening??

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

dukerson posted:

and non-terrible plot.

Let's not tell lies.

Weren't the ingame directions for the desert of death wrong? Like, the npc who told you where to go was basically lying to you.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

there exists a hack for the gba version that restores the original sound. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/

ff6 is really easy so there's not really much you need to be told. I guess, when you start getting espers, optimize so that everyone learns skills as fast as possible. but that's kind of common sense...

oh wait. there is one tip. When there comes a time where you have the option of leaving your ninja party member behind or choosing to wait for him, you must wait!!!

e: you should actually feed him the slow fish or you'll miss one of the best scenes in the game

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Thank you very much for the ROM hack advice - are there any other good ones I should know about? ie, some really good translations of older SNES RPGS? Any other good GBA RPG rom hacks you can recommend?
Were there any good Megadrive RPGs that never made it to the west that have since been well translated?

EDIT: Is Bahamut Lagoon something special? And why is everyone seeming so in love with Seiken Densetsu 3?

EDIT 2: I'm glad I just stumbled upon this site... it's an RPG nerd's treasure trove: http://fantasyanime.com/index

someone retranslated breath of fire 2. it's a lot better. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/

bahamut lagoon is a pretty interesting game at first. i've never actually finished it though. it's pretty easy to lose track of what the heck is happening and thus lose interest in the plot entirely.

seiken densetsu 3 is a very beautiful game. I've replayed it like nine times. People probably like it a lot because it's so good looking and you get to form a party of different classes and your anime characters change appearances when changing classes and I dunno. it just feels good. The gameplay is pretty boring though. Apply debuffs+buffs and attack to win. The existence of several items that buff your characters and cost next to nothing make the distinctions between many classes meaningless, also.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I don't know why anyone would like persona 3 or 4. they're some of the most unbearably slow and boring games i've ever encountered with less interesting dungeons than those featured in ascii roguelikes. the combat requires more preparation than most jrpgs but the 'hard' bosses just wind up taking a ridiculously long time to defeat. these segments are separated by discussions with your boring, archetypal anime friends. the snes SMT games had this weird, kind of creepy occult feeling and persona 3 and 4 are missing even that. I just don't get it!!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Saying you have different tastes is just a defense mechanism employed in order to avoid thinking logically and confronting your own inner demons in order to become a better person (video game metaphor: turning Indalecio into Indalecio Limiter-off)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

Here's my logical thought: persona 3 and 4 own

What do you like about them. This is a serious question.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

But the dungeons in ASCII roguelikes ARE interesting, they're the entirety of most of those games :confused:

Not really. The entirety of most of roguelikes is dealing with artificial intelligence monsters. which is enough because you are almost always collectively outmatched and have to use your brain. But the dungeons themselves (the environments) are basically just skeletons.

taking the word 'dungeon' to mean the collective experience of a designated 'bad guys' area, my point is that aesthetically persona 3 and 4's dungeons are really just as barebones as those found in roguelikes, with 50 floors that look exactly the same and music so bad i can't believe that it wasn't also randomly generated by a roguelike dungeon making algorithm. but they lack any and all usage of brain power, unlike roguelikes, so they're consequently boring and take about 30000 hours to get through because for some reason every animation has to take a solar cycle to complete.

this would be less of a problem if they were gorgeous, inspiring environments or something.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

My trusted compatriot recommended Nocturne to me because that apparently has a lot more of the weird occult nature that nobody ingame really seems to think is that strange.
I will say that Persona 4 is at least better in that your main character is a goofball instead of a brooding anime teenager

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

I'm looking for RPGs with good romances. What have ya'll played that ya'll would recommend?

I think the LUNAR games on the playstation are pretty. uh. DATED in that the combat/dungeons are boring but the writing is entertaining.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

like almost all breath of fire games, it suffers from bad pacing and the worst scenario writing known to man. the actual gameplay is good though, and there are a few parts that are really cool. you just have to slog through a lot of stupid poo poo to get to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

This thread is a safe zone. Don't alert the feds.