Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No that twist owns actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah it's great, though it does go a little long.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like BD enough but man it's plot is so bad and I can't see how BS could be worse.

I would find out but BD burnt me out through repetition.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

How important are healing skills in Digimon Cyber Sleuth? Additionally, how important is it to have actual elemental coverage as opposed to just exploiting the vaccine/data/virus triangle? Basically what I'm asking is to convince me not to make my entire team Virus/Darks and the DNA digivolutions that only have light/dark attacks

Vaccine/data/virus is really important.

Elemental and healing not really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Makes sense as it's really easy, I had no idea what I was doing (being my first Tales game) and I was never in danger.

I wish the tutorial was better because gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Bravely Default has a bad second half.

BD has one of the worst backhalves i have ever played.

Shame it was pretty fun up to that point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Only complaint about Automata is the difficulty is silly. Normal and you are a god. Hard you die in 2-3 hits but it doesn't matter cause you can spam item your way through anything.

Strange choices! Can't say I cared too much though, just wanna see all the cool stuff.

This happens every time a Bioware game is released. I really wouldn't sweat it. My friends played their 10 hour trial today and they all seemed to have a good time as diehard ME fans.

ME:A is also pretty bad, which is disappointing but not unexpected.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

D2 has literally one good moment and it's Caim killing a dude so hard it kills death.

That's it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I haven't played BS but it can not be worse than BD. Talk about a story that was bad and boring and I actively hated the cast.

Gameplay was fun tho,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

DID YOU KNOW: fuhrer king bradley in Fullmetal Alchemist is actually named King Bradley. Fuhrer King isn't his title. He's a fuhrer, and his name is King Bradley.

Makes sense with his backstory

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Having gotten Ending D now I'm not exactly sure it even works. The part where it deletes all of your save data is cool, but Nier's total sacrifice as an ending to the story kind of feels like the game suddenly embracing a cliche or convention that would have been criticized throughout the rest of itself. It's probably my least favorite ending of the four.

What did you guys like about it?

Being cliche isn't inherently bad.

It's a cliche for a reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's a nice hopeful ending which is bucking conventions for a Taro game.

It's nice after all the poo poo the main characters deal with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh poo poo I thought we were talking about Nier A so now this makes more sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hating Chrono Trigger is the most goon opinion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There is no game were it's unreasonable to dislike it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

baram. posted:

trails in the sky was lame but i'm enjoying cold steel.

I am having the opposite problem, I like sky but am having an issue with giving a poo poo about cold steel.

I am still real early tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Japan loves evil organizations that are really loosely defined.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There are very few games which even let you play the game in ten minutes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Who cares.

All they accomplish is wasting there own time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It depends on what you like.

Many people absolutely hate the idea that a combat system that depends on positioning doesn't let you manually move.

Does that actually matter in game? Not most of the time, but some still can't get past it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I've seen people make silly arguments like this to claim Dark Souls isn't a JRPG and is actually somehow a western game.

To be fair JRPG doesn't actually mean JRPG.

And in shouldn't, as that is such a broad thing it's meaningless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah but you have a weird hate on for chrono trigger so grain of salt.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The witcher is the rare PRPG

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tae posted:

I think you have a problem admitting that things you don't play are jrpgs or something, because what is your brain doing

No he is right, and I fully admit to playing and liking JRPGs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Phantasium posted:

I don't understand why an action RPG can't be a JRPG. Things can be multiple things?

They can but it just makes things confusing if things that aren't really alike overlap.

Like the only people that care about it being made in Japan either really love or really hate Japan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Phantasium posted:

idk I just never thought of them as separate things. Like FFT is both a SRPG and a JRPG in my mind and it being turn-based never factored into it. Maybe JRPG has picked up that distinction at some point but I've literally never heard it used that way.

I see more confusion as to whether or not a western game with JRPG sensibilities should be called a JRPG.

JRPG picked up its defintion in the 90s when all JRPGs were turned based and stuck even as Japan branched out.

It's been a thing for a long time and it's weird how incredulous the thread becomes over it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Or you could stop being a huge baby about a term you obviously recognize.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean good to great gameplay is subjective really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To get to a different tangent I just finished TITS 3 and man was that disappointing.

I get what they were going for but most of it just didn't work for me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i loved tits 3 more than the first two

It has an interesting premise, but man Kevin being a knockoff Joshua and half the side stories being random bullshit ruined it for me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Not all of the substories are homeruns but enough are, I'd even say that some of the most memorable moments in all of the Sky trilogy are some of the doors (Star Door 14 and Olivier's immediately come to mind). I'd also say that Kevin's story is ultimately a better take on Joshua's anyway, which maybe would have been tiresome after SC if 3rd didn't have the great pacing that it does.

I dunno I find Kevin kind of boring. I found Joshua much more interesting.

I do really like some of the doors but there just wasn't enough.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

werent richard and cassius there? their third member could have been the old lady that runs the hot springs and the enforces still would have ran

Richard was, I don't think Cassius made it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

wtf is this from

Trails of cold steel

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cold Steel is more anime..

Also a slightly different one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This thread is real loving bad with labels.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Colonel posted:

are you sure about that

Yeah the trails series all do that.

Hell depending on how you define the main plot they rarely start in the first game at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Libluini posted:

Sorry, the trails series is completely unknown to me

Trails in the sky trilogy and the Trails of cold steel 1 (2 later this year) are on Steam and are pretty fun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

tbh the combat is sky is so sluggish that a turbo mode is kinda necessary and despite its writing quality i can see how slow it is being a turn-off.

cold steel didnt really need one though, it was fast enough without it. it having one is nice-ish tho.

Playing through it know it definitely did.

It's animations alone make it necessary.

Honestly I didn't have that issue with sky, but it's animations were rather basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

maybe a hot take but if your game needs a turbo function to be considered good and its not from 1998 maybe its not good?

These games don't really need Turbo it just helps.