Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I like, and the only thing I know, about E&L is the pun in the title. Escha & Logy. The japanese participle for "and" is "to". Eschatology (Form of theology regarding the end of the world)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I started playing Dark Cloud again earlier as I've never actually beaten it, and got an amazing run of luck. First floor, 2 Big Chests right next to each other. First one is unlocked and yields a Bone Sabre, second one I disarm the trap through trial and error and it yields a Shamshir. Now I'm doing triple the damage with no penalty to weapon endurance.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way I started trying to play through Last Story a few weeks ago and got completely stuck. I have been upgrading my equipment and was a a level that seemed on par but I got to that fucker who splits into multiple shielded enemies that kill you in one hit in the entrance of the final dungeon but even when the shield was down the boss took barely any damage. Is it normal that he takes a long time to whittle down or was I just underpowered? If so what are some tips to get over powered?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way, a couple of years ago I tried to play Last Story after enjoying Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and I got through ~40 of the 42 story chapters fairly easily by keeping up my levels and upgrading weapons where I could (Although I became stymied on the weapon front due to an apparent inability to backtrack, the last 10 or so chapters seem to railroad you) and I got to the boss at the beginning of, I think chapter 41, the guy who splits into three and puts barriers up that you have to take down, and if you take the down barrier of the wrong one he just detonates and does a shitton of damage, and there was no way to figure out which one was the real one. I couldn't find any cues and even when I got lucky and got the correct one I barely scratched him when my weapons had been fine so far so the fight took way too long and every attack he did almost 3 hitted my party members.

Was I doing something wrong or is that fight just bullshit?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Endorph posted:

if its' the fight im thinking of, you need to use forest on the green barriers and prominence on the red barriers.

It was actually the start of chapter 40 boss, Berith I just looked it up. I think overall my favourite boss in the game was the Deranged Prince on the Pirate Ship, the poncy one who had designs on the princess, I just love his freakouts as he sinks into madness:

"Zael's making fun of me mummy... and Callista and the king andandand EVERYBODY!!!"

Link to video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIGeRhJB4YQ

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing I find annoying about a lot of RPGs is how exclusive the fans can be, to the extent that they don't pay attention to what you actually are telling them. When I played Suikoden 5 I had only played 4 before which has a final boss that isn't in the standard series pattern apparently for some reason, and was unprepared for the final boss of 5 to be magcial in nature. When I griped about that after spending a lot of money of the high physical resist equipment and being unable to win, I was told that I should have known that Suikoden's almost always have magical final bosses. Well Excuse me for being new to the series rear end in a top hat!

Also I played DDS2 after DDS and wound up stuck at the stealth dungeon with the gatekeeper. Couldn't get past that puzzle at all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

There are fans of everything like that.

I am more surprised you started with Suiko4 and decided "I definitely need more of this"

Not the series's fault that a game is subpar (It was alright, wouldn't say bad). It'd be like playing Wand of Gamelon and responding with "Why even bother with Wind Waker, that one game was crap!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll have to wait a bit longer for Save the Light, which is annoying because I enjoyed Attack the Light but I'm in England on PS4 and it's having some kind of issue in europe that's delaying it. Apparently the xbox version is fine, but I don't have an xbox, so I'll be waiting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I tried to play the original Yakuza but it kind of killed my interest right at the end with the terrible highway chase sequence - that was unplayably bad and I never got past it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My main problem with Lin in Xenoblade Chronicles X constantly making jokes about eating their Nopon buddy was that his race has been driven to near extinction because the Prone have literally been hunting them for food. It's not a loving joke at that point. Lin's jokes are in incredibly poor taste, pun not intended.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've been playing Pandora's Tower on the Wii. It's actually really fun, and the waggle is fairly intuitive (it's not used much, just to quickly yank the chain). I towards the end of the game now, the Blacklight Tower (the Towers of Dawn and Dusk, but the notes refer to the locations together as Blacklight) and it's got a really cool gimmick, although the gimmick makes it harder to navigate than the other towers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've beaten Pandora's Tower this morning (Ending A, 75% completion) and it was really good. I loved the final boss's gimmick and it managed not to overstay it's welcome despite it, and it had really good music too. It was also a really sweet ending.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Pandora's Tower is really cool. It's a shame the American release has such a huge game-breaker of a bug because I think it really tainted the game's reputation.

Just looked up the Glitch, guess that explains the lack of popularity. Glad I'm in the UK so I got the working EU version. :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

No one should ever play Magna Carta

Although maybe bring used copies in for celebrities to autograph at conventions. That way they'll have signed the Magna Carta :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Soul Nomad annoyed me because I was breezing through it until getting to the third (? I think) fight with the recurring boss, and he has a million rooms each full of characters that matched my own levels, but his rooms had more people per room than mine as well, so I stood no chance. Everyone says "Oh, x games are really easy, you don't even need to grind!" then I give it a go and either am bad enough that I need to figure out how to grind or just get stuck at a brick wall. That's why I don't play Tactical RPGs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Endorph posted:

Were you using last act and stuff? Those turn-buffs are really great. Plus, were you upgrading your rooms every few battles? Did every room have a healer? Were you using decor and all?

I was trying to upgrade my rooms, but I didn't really know what I was doing - I'll keep those tips in mind if I give it another go in future, but I have a million other games that I want to get to first. Before beating it I'd actually bought Pandora's Tower years ago - I have a lot of games I never got around to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's kind of a shame that DDS's plot shat itself -I enjoyed the first one, but got stuck after carrying over my save to the second on that dungeon trying to rescue those humans from that patrolling minotaur.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved the main character's Run animation in Suikoden 4. The dumbest thing. Also 4 was the only one I beat, so it was amusing when I got stuck on the final boss of 5 and said such and got inundated with "You should have known it was a magic based boss. Every game ends with you fighting a True Rune in some way!" and my only thought was "4 doesn't. I had no way of knowing the series's usual pattern."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On Spoony's old work I did enjoy the cosplay gags, especially for 10-2. Spoony always ended an FF review by dressing up as one of the main characters of the game, and assaulting himself as that character. Highlights included Evil Jock Bully Snow, but for 10-2 he noticed his pattern and was just like "Oh no. OH NO. What have I started?" as Noah-as-Yuna bursts though the door in a skimpy bikini and just starts shooting. It's the one thing he can't effectively fight against, because you can flee swords and fists, but you cannot easily flee a gun. The fear was (at least to me, at the time) pretty funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I keep trying to emulate older RPGs in series I'm interested in, like Yakuza and Wild Arms, but something keeps stopping me beating them. In Yakuza I got to the garbage shooting gallery fight on the motorway escaping the restaurant towards the end of the game and got totally stuck there, probably the worst part of the game by far.

In Wild Arms, as soon as the princess cuts her hair my emulator crashes. I'll probably get Yakuza Kiwami if it improved or removed that section, but Wild Arms 1 is probably going to be really expensive to buy and not worth the expense.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Wild Arms 1 is available for like $5 on the Playstation Network if you own a PS3.

I've got a PS4 I'll probably check on that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It was mentioned a few pages ago but never expanded upon so here's my opinion on it - I played Pandora's Tower last year and thought it was really good. I got one of the better endings, maybe second best, and thought it was really satisfying. I also liked that despite the events of the final boss Elena doesn't end the fight with Her clothes all torn in a vain attempt at fanservice - her dress is just dyed black from the transformation goo. It was also an interesting final fight combining the attacks (or using attacks related to) a bunch of the bosses.

I got stuck on The Last Story, at that one bastard at the start of the final chapter who clones himself and puts shields up around them all - if you break the shield of the wrong one it just explodes and does an unfair amount of damage to you, you cannot tell from looking who the right one is so it's all down to luck, and his normal attacks do a lot as well. I loved the fight on the pirate ship with the Lord who goes totally insane though. "Zael's making fun of me, mummy... and Callista and the Count AND AND AND EVERYONE!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I hope someone LPs Pandora's Tower at some point because it's the most ignored one (I have requested it in the thread). Hell, I may do it someday, but I have other games I want to do first.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked how the bosses were mirrors of one another - each element (Water, Metal, Fire, Earth, Wood) has a God representing it, that you fight in the first half of the game, and a corresponding Goddess that you fight in the second half - the Gods are representative of the Light side of the element while the Goddesses are the Dark Side. As such, some of the bosses are fought in a similar way as their other half - the water god has a moving weakpoint, but it's easily trackable and the weakpoint follows a specific "track" on his body making it predictable. Similarly, the water goddess has a moving weakpoint but it's now hidden beneath a carapace and moves randomly becoming much harder to find. Even the strategy is inverted - the water god gets dangerous the more parts are left alone so it's worth taking out it's tentacles and water cannons while waiting for the weakpoint to show up. However the goddess must be treated much more carefully - destroying irrelevant parts releases more guns and tentacles, meaning that randomly flailing will get you killed quicker as she will have more attacks to throw at you more rapidly.

Not all the bosses compare that neatly, but it's interesting for the obvious ones.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've just beaten the main story of Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass and wanted to give my thoughts while I prep for postgame stuff (only got the last 30 floors of the Dark Dungeon, the Legato Knights, the 8 stones and the Heart Dungeon to go)

First of all I really liked the characterisation of the Pulsating Mass as not just the malevolent force that destroys everything for no reason, but the malevolent force who destroys everything specifically to get to Jimmy because it loves it's job. I like that it's basically playing with Jimmy. Also it seems like the (final dungeon and main symbolism)Iron Flamingo may represent a metastasized tumour, the Mass is already at the Core aka Jimmy's brain, it just sent out the Flamingo as an agent to attack elsewhere.

I generally loved Buck as well, especially towards the end of the game with stuff like ripping out the part of the Pulsating Mass that was controlling him, and then that moment just before the final boss where he's just like "Why didn't you tell me things had gotten this bad? I wouldn't have been strong enough to face this alone...".
Also Jonathan Bear and Punch Tanaka were neat characters.

Also the visual of the final dungeon being like a Teratoma was inspired.

The main problem I have with the game is it feels most of the time played came from grinding the forms to level them up to keep competitive, there didn't really seem to be a better way around certain points.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 8, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the portrayal of Lord Vayne in Final Fantasy 12, because by the end he's badly injured after the final fight and completely exhausted, in a lot of pain after his initial transformation renders him unstable. He flees to the deck of the ship, panting and crackling just wanting it to be over, when the Occuria basically bolt parts of the ship to him forming a bio-mechanical hell-bahamut who is just not being allowed to die. I thought that was a strong ending idea.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm not sure if it counts as an action RPG because while it's real-time action game combat it does have character progression mechanics in the item system - I've been playing the Musou game Warriors: Legends of Troy, and as the game goes on the bosses are only getting more interesting. I'm currently mildly stuck on the big bossfight for Penthesilea, which is her fighting an imagined version of her late sister as she processes her grief because while it's interesting she is a hard fight. It's pretty fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love the scene with the romantic lyrical ballad as he and Ming are dealing with a situation, and it cuts to them and you see that Jansen is actually humming along to the song