Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Even if you think it's okay now, you'll hate it by the end of the game. It's very much a case of just you wait. It's such an oddity in the Suiko series that I suspect it started as a different game completely. I've beat 1, 2, most of 3, and 5. I couldn't handle 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I actually have no idea when that happens anymore. My main memory is the game becoming tedious and extremely boring later and I couldn't be bothered to slog it out. If it's not making you want to rip your eyes out and you're a good way in, you might be alright.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I really liked the atmosphere and monster designs in Ni No Kuni, but the gameplay was a big old meh. The story was actually kinda charming in how simple it was and the battle system wasn't even bad or anything, it just felt half-baked. Bosses were either stupid easy or stupid hard, and the whole spellbook thing was barely even used for how hyped it was.

Despite all that, I actually still had quite a bit of fun with it. I'd say you definitely need to go in with a more oldschool console RPG state of mind.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I would probably hate it a ton (A TON) less if it was called anything other than Suiko 4, it has some cool ideas and a neat setting but it feels so out of place. Doesn't help that 2 is my favourite JRPG of the PSX era by a wide margin.

I loved 5 outside of the super long intro, what didn't you like about it?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I guess all the stuff about the camera and music and such is valid, cause that's subjective. I also didn't have much trouble with recruits, but I'm thorough as gently caress in Suiko games after missing motherfucking Zamza of all people in 2 :v:. I mostly loved the fact they made a modern Suiko that actually felt like it took some cues from the older ones, cause 3 and 4 sure didn't.

I also thought the RTS mode was kinda cool even if I would've liked something more like 2's strategy battles better.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Doflamingo posted:

Can you get through Ni no Kuni without doing any of the sidequests at least? I just bought it myself and am bummed to see all this negative stuff.

Pretty easily, the rewards can be nice but they aren't needed. Most of them are pretty straightforward, I did a majority of them simply because I didn't have to put much effort in. The grindiest ones are the 'catch me 3 monsters' ones, and even then only if you have bad luck.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The Tales series, but those are pretty action-y. Same deal with Star Ocean. Uh some buddies and I did a multiplayer run of Final Fantasy Tactics a while back, we each had our own character. I'm not sure there's many options.

Oh yeah, Secret of Mana, and it's sibling Seikein Densetsu 3 if you get the translation patch. Legend of Mana on PSX too.
vvvvv

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 1, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

a cat youtube posted:

Would it be possible to do 2 players with FF6 and FF9 through emulators?

I don't see why not, as long as you have controllers or like to snuggle hands on the keyboard.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
V stays awesome the whole way through, the start is definitely the weakest part due to how little you actually get to play. Once you can run around and gather your crew of badasses it becomes one of the best PS2 RPGs.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Suikoden 2 is pretty low on friendship and believing in yourself saving the day stuff, though being a PSX RPG it does have it's moments. Some of the chracters are sort of 'wacky' but not even close to offensive. It's part of the reason I love it. The plot is surprisingly mature and people behave sensibly for the most part. There's a war going on, it's some serious poo poo, and some scenes will definitely make you feel that way.

Suiko 1 is pretty... rough let's say. The script isn't bad but it sure is boring and dry.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Every JRPG lately seems to have the same template, and WRPGs aren't really much better. At least the older ones have some personality, and this isn't nostalgia talking because I didn't play lots of the 16/32 bit junk until more recently. Hell, compare any SNES Final Fantasy to 13, the difference is night and day. Unpopular opinion, I know :v:.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I'd love more RPGs that were more setting creative in general. Resonance of Fate had that down, too bad about the rest of it. Final Fantasy sorta tries but it's bogged down by needing to have FF stuff in it. Seems like most things follow the kind of medieval with some technology, slap magic in there but call it something else route. Or the future but everyone uses swords still and there's magic too direction.

Something straight up modern day without spells and mystic forces would be a nice change.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Level Slide posted:

I attack with my +3 Mystic Crowbar.

A dude wielding a crowbar and a trashcan lid is way cooler than another goober with a sword and shield. :colbert:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Amppelix posted:

FF isn't really "bogged down" by needing to have legacy elements in it. Nothing's stopping Square from making awesomely creative interpretations of all the good ol' Firagas and Bahamuts that fit whatever setting's chosen. They just don't feel the need to :effort:

Like how about a FF game set in something of a fascimile of WW2? Then just make all the enemies code names for actual soldiers (but preserve the game mechanics, e.g. the guys named Cactuar still do 1000 damage). And so on. Bam, interesting setting and all your favorites are still there. FF is only bogged down by its creators.

I agree in a way, but I think it's more a catch 22 where hardcore weirdo fans will flip poo poo if they change too much, so they feel like they can't, which has led to the status quo we've had for so long. if they suddenly change everything around, people will say how it's not a 'true' FF and the game is shunned, if it stays the same it's too stale. Either way someone's unhappy, but Square caters to the first group because they'll buy it no matter what as long as it has Chocobos and poo poo.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Wendell posted:

I don't know what weird loving patch you're talking about, but none of that negative stuff is true of the good patch that people actually use. http://suikodenbugfixes.wikispaces.com/Suikoden+II+Patch+Files

Well thanks for giving me an excuse to play Suikoden 2 for like the 5th time :v:.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Hackan Slash posted:

I don't know how between this and a modern setting people haven't recommended the Shadow Hearts series. Help out Al Capone while wielding a giant tuna!

For whatever reason I couldn't get into Shadow Hearts at all. I only played whichever one has the big drunk cat and the "ninja" guy, but it didn't grab me.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that SH3 basically only got made because SH2 was a really unexpected success. Nobody thought it would do very well and then it did and it's really clear the developers have no idea why it did. So they tried to copy the previous game and ended up making something far less interesting and far more forced. They improved the combat system a little but it was overall a far worse game.

SH1 and SH2 had way better atmosphere in general, even if they had their own batch of flaws.

A guy I know was telling me about Shadow Hearts way back in the day, saying you had to kill Francis Bacon or some other crazy thing like that. If the first 2 are good I should probably give those a shot.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Interesting is right, considering you're quite likely to accidentally romance a small girl or a middle aged blacksmith with a stupid moustache.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I've only played vanilla DD and Dark Arisen on PS3, but I hear PS3 runs better and Dark Arisen runs a little better on top of that. The framerate is pretty up and down for sure either way. I thought the letterboxing gave the game a really cool cinematic look that worked well with some of the scenery.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It's got a lot of problems, I won't try to deny that. I love it anyways because it's a playable DnD campaign contorted through a weird Japanese lens, and the combat system just works for me in a big way.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I wish BoF3 had more consistent dungeons. It's got that janky early PSX charm I love, cool characters, and a surprisingly alright story. And it ruins me wanting to replay it becuase every other level is "that" place.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
So I'm scoring a PSP sometime today, and I'd like to know some good RPGs for it. I know about the obvious stuff like Half Minute Hero and Trails in The Sky, but is there anything less surface level and awesome I'm missing out on?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Persona 3 Portable, Fate/Extra (Only if you're a type moon fan, otherwise skip it)

I guess I should have mentioned I've played the poo poo out of P3 :v:.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Tactics Ogre does indeed own, never played the PSP one but I'm sure it still holds up. I've never even heard of XF so I might have to try that, and I can't believe I forgot about ZHP. Jeanne D'Arc looks pretty cool too. Between this and my 3DS I'm gonna have RPGs for daaaays.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Will I like Valkyria Chronicles 2 if I couldn't get into the first one much? I loved the setting and the idea of the gameplay, but in practice it was less strategy and more luck, at least to me. I fully admit I was probably awful at it.

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 15, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I mean luck in the sense that most maps I played boiled down to charge the end zone and hope the good soldiers don't get hit. I'd always lose when I tried to play it like Xcom or something. It confused me.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Micawber posted:

Good stuff.

I was actually on the fence about Growlanser, but this convinced me to pick it up. It sounds right up my alley and I love being able to accidentally derail the story. Plus sprites and 90s cg are awesome :allears:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

ManOfTheYear posted:

What's the general consensus on Breath of Fire IV? I remember having lots of fun with it as a kid, even though I never finished it. I think the master-apprentice systerm was loving great.

Just started re-playing it on an emulator.

I'd say 3 is better for a few reasons, but they both suffer from the same issues. Not so good dungeons, some strange pacing, and fuckin' minigames. The small cast of 4 is kinda lame too but Fou-Lu almost makes up for it. The gameplay is good old school stuff though, and don't get me wrong, I still think they're both good games. Now if only we could get a proper sequel.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

BadAstronaut posted:

Well I picked up Dragon Quest V (Hand of the Heavenly Bride) on DS and BoF III on PSP around the same time, and man, I love me some Dragon Quest. Nothing wrong with BoF III at all - I think I just love that DQ style. But after playing the first little while of each, I can see DQV is going to suck many hours away. It's actually got me 'nostalgic' to replay DQ9, which was such an amazing game.

Quite bummed that DQ X is not going to be an updated/more of the same, and that an official DQ7 translation for 3DS is unlikely, and that there is no word of an upcoming DQ game on the 3DS. That would have been awesome. :(

It also helps that V is probably the best in the series, along with IX. I think it's a blessing in a way that X isn't going to be coming over, flopping, and poisoning the well even more for the franchise. There's no good reason not to give us that remake of VII though, I thought it was well received enough in it's day and RPGs are popular on 3DS.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Mill Village posted:

I'm pretty sure DQ X is doing just fine. They recently announced an expansion for it as well.

I'm sure it's doing fine or even well in Japan, but I really really doubt it would ever be anything but a failure in NA.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

dis astranagant posted:

DQ7 was never a hard game in the first place. If you knew what classes were good (or even just blundered into them) you'd just wreck everything forever.

The hardest part about DQVII is playing it on a real PSX where you can't turbo speed your way through the grind.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
You guys are really making me want a Wii for Xenoblade. I do not have the money for this, stop it.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Doflamingo posted:

You can use an emulator on your PC to at least try it out first.

I could if my laptop was a PC and could handle Dolphin. Not the case.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Growlanser: Wayfarer Of Time. I see why people were saying this was only okay, but so far I'm really into it.

The graphics aren't so good, for sure, but it's an RPG, I can get past that. The anime portraits and cutscenes are actually pretty well done on the other hand, even if the art style is kind of weird.

The battle system is just different enough that it keeps me interested. I mean in practice it boils down to the same keep attacking state that most other JRPGs do, but it's presented more interestingly and your party/enemies die fast enough that it at least keeps it somewhat tense in harder fights. Spell fusions are also cool and probably need to show up in more games.

The writing is awful, like someone said. Luckily for me, it's the special kind of awful that makes it seem like an overly dramatic Saturday morning anime and thus I find it both hilarious and endearing. I'm sure the plot will twist all kinds of stupid places and I can't wait.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Of course you do! Why do you play RPGs if you don't like getting knick-knacks, useless or otherwise?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Friendly Factory posted:

So here's a list of retro-style jRPG games on the PC:

Penny Arcade 3 and 4
Breath of Death VII
Cthulu Saves the World
Dragon Fantasy
Two Brothers

I'm sure there have to be others I'm missing. If there are, can someone point them out to me? I absolutely adore this era of jRPG, likely because recent history has ruined the entire sub-genre.

There's a straight up Breath of Fire IV PC port that's not too bad but not as retro as that stuff. Definitely Barkley, and there's actually some RPG Maker games that aren't terrible. A Blurred Line is a cool sci-fi styled one, Hero's Realm is pretty much a lost SNES games, and goon-made Last Scenario, which is Final Fantasy but less stupid with some solid gameplay.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If you like Suikoden and can find it, Legion Saga III is pretty alright. The other two not so much.

Completely forgot about The Way. If you like crazy bullshit and tons of characters it owns hard.
VVV

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 25, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

dis astranagant posted:

I never could get into Exit Fate. Probably because early random encounters can easily last several minutes as a group of bats dodgetanks everything you throw at them.

Same. I really wanted to like it, but it was tedious and a worse Suikoden. Didn't help that the characters were fuckin' awful. Last Scenario was way better.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I like Radiata Stories quite a bit, though I haven't played it in quite a while. It's definitely not serious, outside of a few parts, but the battle system is pretty fun, there's an absolute shitload of characters, and it has an actual, legit branching story. Well, 2 branches, but they're both about the last half of the game. Plus you can have a party full of buff Orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together supposed to be brutally hard? I've only played the GBA version, years ago, and don't remember having near this much trouble. Now, on PSP, I'm barely scraping by most fights.