Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ogre Battle 64 is a lot easier to pick up but both that and the original have a lot of obtuse as hell mechanics. God help you if you want to actually get a good ending without looking it up right from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If it's the PC version and you enjoy games with SaGa-esque elements (aka sometimes random poo poo happens for no reason) then at that price you could do a hell of a lot worse.

It's a bit flawed but I found it enjoyable.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like BoF2 as well but it's a game I played growing up. I imagine it'd be frustrating to play it today without that sense of nostalgica (unless you're on an emulator, of course. Frame skipping solves many problems!).

I mean the amount of derails towards the main plot get ridiculous at times. Let's take a look at when you need to investigate the forest near Gate:

1) Find and free Spar so you can talk to the elder tree to learn what's up.
2) But to find Spar you need to save a whale to get to the island the circus is on.
3) Ok, now you gotta catch this monster so you can trade it for Spar's freedom.
4) You may or may not have to go to a shack out in the middle of nowhere to get food to catch said monster, depending on if you can get it right on the first try.
5) You can choose to not catch the monster and just battle the circus ringmaster for Spar's freedom (and this fight still happens if you *did* catch it, rendering the point of that trip moot anyways)
6) Okay, now you have Spar, but upon talking to the tree you learn that you need a special pillow to enter his mind so you can fix him and learn what's going on.
7) But the city that has the pillow talks via music so you need to go and get an item to understand them.
8) This means you gotta go through Sten's tedious bullshit section and once you start it you can't stop until the end so get really for some slow grinding if you haven't been using Sten.
9) A million hours and a few explosions later, you learn you can't just borrow the pillow because the queen is ill, so you have to get a special mushroom.
10) After getting the mushroom, you need to go inside the queen's body to kill all the demons to cure her.
11) After curing the queen, you get the pillow and can enter the tree's mind.
12) Now you gotta go and kill the demon inside the tree.
13) Finally you can talk to the tree and learn what's up with Gate. Hooray?

I don't mind playing through all that but story-wise the amount of fetch quests in that part alone is rather ridiculous.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of SaGa games and their hatred for humanity, what's a good entry point for the series? SaGa Frontier? And are there any good translation patches for Romancing SaGa 2 or 3? I remember trying a "complete" translation of one or the other that apparently meant "you can completely read the menus, but gently caress you and your dialogue."

Romancing SaGa 3 has a complete translation patch out there, though it gets a bit janky at times.

Also the game was rushed and it shows.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

That sounds like a dejap translation alright, man I miss those early fantranlations days

"Arche fucks like a tiger!"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Awful mods. Emulating the PSX version gives you save states, which are probably more useful (and definitely more convenient than having to search for save points.)

Plus frame skip! Which is such a godsend when playing older jrpgs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this. It's frustratingly easy to make Xenoblade into a game where losing is impossible. :smith:

Yeah, making a system where accuracy is based on levels and the difference of a few levels can make hitting impossible kinda blows! Especially when you're given a ton of sidequests and it turns out that welp, doing a bunch can overlevel you easily.

Definitely something that could use fixing and I hope the sequel does that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mill Village posted:

Edge Maverick from SO4 immediately comes to mind, and that's a big budget RPG.

Edge Maverick was a really cool name for an otherwise forgettable, bland as hell protagonist.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wanted to like it but the random encounter rate was just too much for me to handle.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you're using a translation patch you're playing it on an emulator anyways so you might as well go with the SNES version. It's not tedious at all when you have frame skip!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Squareenix just needs to remember that co-op went a long way towards making the Mana games fun. That's all I'm asking for!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Evermore has some high highs and low lows. But heck, as a kid that bazaar really made up for those stupid mazes. It's a really fun part of the game and I dig it every time!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been replaying Secret of Mana lately and dang, all those hitboxes are terrible. Music is still great but man, the early parts of the game before you get magic are just as brutally hard as I remember.

Though really even with the huge hitboxes on your dudes, it would be bearable were it not for the x4 item restriction, that is just too low!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anyone got a link to that Slate article? I can't seem to find it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My third option is Earthbound, tho CT and FFVI are both v good.

That said you stopped a bit before the part where FFVI really goes all out!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the best thing you can say about FFV's story is that it isn't aggressively terrible. It's really generic and the cast is bland, but the story isn't dumb outside of a few goofy things that aren't taken too seriously to begin with.

The main reason people love it is because the gameplay is absolutely stellar, the class system is loads of fun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I gotta document how creepy this is so that I can tell the internet what its creepy power level is, and to do that I'm gonna play this game and NOT enjoy how creepy it is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

It's a somewhat clunky 90s RPG that punishes grinding to an extent if they kept the boss leveling system from the PSX version. It has a macro system where you can make sets of commonly used actions to speed up random battles and such.

And since this is SA I should probably mention that there's some fairly sleazy anime scenes involving 14 year olds later in the game.

Not only do you have to go out of your way to see that but it's like, PG-13 fare at worst.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wendell posted:

Thank God you're here to stand up for the pedophiles.

Nah I think with this case, panicking is the right word. It's overreacting to say that about Lunar!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wendell posted:

But ain't nobody gonna say it in the first place! He just had to preemptively own those rotten pedophile haters.

dis astranagant posted:

And since this is SA I should probably mention that there's some fairly sleazy anime scenes involving 14 year olds later in the game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anime is good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

I recognize Madoka Magica on sight and can refer to it offhand like everyone knows what it is, but, uhh, anime sucks!!!

Um you mean you don't research every anime to get mad when Japanese games reference it!?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DrProsek posted:

What makes SO:TLH so awful? I know next to nothing about JRPGs and only know about SO:TLH because it pops up every so often when I look for RPGs and from what I recall it was well received by critics so I assumed it was at least an okay game.

The gameplay is fine but as for the other stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

i would cry like a little girl if i accidentally destroyed a world

that fact that no one seems to care is the far weirder part of that scene

Not only does everyone else not care but they keep telling Edge that it's not really a big deal that he accidentally killed billions of people so he should just stop moping.

The rare time a jrpg character is completely justified in moping and that's how they react, what the hell.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lufia 2 rules and it still holds up incredibly well. Just one of those cult classics that would probably get a lot more love if all those sequels didn't suck.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

lol, looking it up it was azure_horizon

im not surprised

lmao

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That snow mountain area is really dire because the game was normally good about having your in-game powers be relevant to cutscenes.

And then suddenly you need a fire stone to melt ice even though you have a girl that can shoot fireballs.

CVagts posted:

I've been playing RPGs for 20+ years, and the completionist in me is what ended up destroying my interest in Xenoblade. There are hundreds of sidequests and they're all the same and really tedious and not fun to do, but I insisted on doing them because completion. That plus the batshit turn the game takes at the end.

Plus if you do all the sidequests you're overleveled and if you're overleveled enemies have trouble even hitting you, so welp!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Because it's been only one of the very few big RPG's that people felt didn't need to asterisk with a "contains anime" on it or "Is actually a bad game" like we have to do with the more recent Final Fantasy's (excluding XIV)

Get ready for that hype all over again with Xenoblade Chronicles X!

Apparently British voice acting makes people not notice anime.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

so im playing Lunar: SSCC and i dunno, im not really feeling it

im in the first dungeon and while i was prepared for an older jrpg style attack/magic/item type affair, i wasn't expecting every encounter to have like six enemies and take at least a minute because of it

combined with the fact that they all do a good amount of damage, that the dungeon is pretty big, and i don't have enough mp to do much but attack, the whole thing seems kinda tedious

is the first dungeon just kind of a grind, or is the whole game like this?

I've always found the gameplay to be kinda mediocre since you have limited options in combat. Maybe go a little farther and see how you feel about the story? Since that to me is the main reason to play it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

God help you if you don't level up Sten though.

I've been doing a low level run and it's going to be rather interesting when I get to that spot!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sjonkel posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what Snes rpg's do people recommend? Only tried Chrono Trigger which is pretty amazing, and I'm sure there are more games out there that I've never heard of as well.

Final Fantasy 3 (aka 6 if you're getting a port of it)

Super Mario RPG

Earthbound

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

What when did people say anything bad about Lufia II.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mycot posted:

They're all Jojo knockoffs anyway.

And if we wanna go this route then Jojo started out as a Fist of the North Star knockoff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Genpei Turtle posted:

Rudra no Hihou has a really interesting plot mechanic with the multiple parties adventuring simultaneously and seeing how party 1's actions influence what happen in party 2 and 3's stories and vice versa. But from a gameplay standpoint it's just bad. Combat is just atrocious and dull as hell, with literally no distinction between characters other than their stats and what they can equip. The magic creation system had a lot of potential to be interesting, but quickly devolves into "see what cool spell the monsters are casting and copy it." Though it is kind of amusing that they set it up so that you could input spell names from other RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and get the same effects. (Not sure if this made it through in any sort of translation)

It's kind of a shame because if they had put any serious effort into making the gameplay more fun it could have been an awesome game. It's like they had this one great idea about interacting storylines and then forgot that they had to attach a decent game to it.

The interacting storylines could have also used some work since until the teamup at the very end, most of the interactions are basically two groups running into each other, exchanging notes or maybe trading an item with each other, and then heading their separate ways.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Genpei Turtle posted:

The direct interaction between parties definitely wasn't the strong point. I was more thinking of the indirect sort of stuff, like "seemingly random occurrence is actually a direct result of something another party is doing elsewhere" or "area is like this because different party has done something here previously." Nothing mindblowing but kind of cool.

But yeah overall RnH is exactly the type of game you might want to read an LP of but not actually play.

Oh yeah that stuff is pretty neat for sure. Nice little details like that can really add up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

you probably want to be level 79 then because iirc the agility penalties increase by a fair amount if you're three levels behind (and then again at 5 or 6 I think, you can tell by the color the enemy's nameplate is).

All I want out of the sequel is for them to remove this mechanic.

They just gotta do this, and I'll be happy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've done a bunch of low level runs. When choosing a game I look for a few criteria when doing a low level run such as how easy is it to earn money without gaining exp? and are there mechanics in place such that I don't do middling damage to enemies if I'm underleveled? That sorta thing.

I think FF6 has been my favorite, with FF5 being a close second.

I also really enjoyed doing a low level run for Super Mario RPG because there is stuff like stat-up buffs and the like that you normally ignore in a normal game but in a low level run it's crucial to surviving.

I mainly stick to SNES games for those challenges though I've been tempted to try a low level FF7 run, though that might be a bit too easy considering how there are a lot of tricks to make it easy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raiad posted:

My favorite part of WA4 was where main kid's mom dies and the rest of the party berates him for being sad that his mom died.

It always owns in jrpgs when that happens.

See also: Star Ocean 4 for doing the same thing when the protag is sorta responsible for accidentally killing billions of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Making cutscenes and stringing them together with gameplay afterwards is not the product of healthy minds.

This happens way more often than you'd think, though FFXIII was definitely a case where it was way too obvious.