Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I recently read through the LPs for FF7 and FF8 in the LP Archive (both of which are really good), and it got me in the mood to play a Final Fantasy game or some other JRPG from around that era. I was thinking about going with FF9, since I got in on Steam a while back, and I never finished it on Playstation because of issues with the discs. (I'd like to play through all three of the FF games on Playstation, but having just read through 7 & 8 via the LPs, I don't really want to jump into them right away) I was wondering if I could get some recommendations.

One of the games I was thinking about trying was Saga Frontier, but I don't know much about the Saga games. I know there's an older one coming out for Switch, and that there's a port of Grandia coming to Switch as well (which I also don't know anything about). Same goes for Wild Arms" All I know is that it's a western-themed JRPG.

There's a couple of lesser known games that I just know by name like Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Elemental Gimmick Gear. I've heard a couple of those aren't that good though.

Star Ocean 2, Chrono Cross, Suikoden 1 & 2, and Xenogears I've all read LPs of in the Archive (I'm actually still reading through the Xenogears one, since I keep dropping it for long periods of time). If you're wondering why I just read LPs of games and don't actually play them, it's because of laziness (and also that I don't own them). I wouldn't say that I'd never want to play any of them after reading about them, but I was looking for something where I don't know what happens. If there's something that you think I should still play regardless, please say so.

Beyond that, though, I'm also fine with recommendations for anything beyond that era. I've given thought to giving FF12 another try, or something from the PS2 era or beyond.

I'm sorry this post is so scatterbrained. I just wanted to ask for a recommendation without making a huge list of games and all my comments about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

2 has an insanely bad translation that makes it basically unplayable if you don't know Japanese. 3 is the best one, but that's a PS2 era game, not PS1.

The Colonel posted:

wild arms 2 is really good, but the english translation is uh, literally unreadable. like unintelligibly bad. literally everything about wild arms 2 is better except the translation, which is one of the absolute worst of the ps1 era

I think I vaguely remember something about that from an old Retronauts episode. Wasn't it machine-translated or something?

I forgot about Valkyrie Profile. I know it had a PSP version, but I don't remember what it added or changed.

Another game I remembered was Thousand Arms, which I remember being described some sort of JRPG/dating sim hybrid or something.

I also forgot about the Persona games, but I've heard those have not aged really well. I'd still like to give them a shot though, and I've heard the PSP remakes improve a lot. I played Persona 5 last year, and that was probably the first JRPG that I've played in a long time.

Some other stuff that comes to mind is Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, and Kodelka. Koudelka I know was the spiritual predecessor to Shadow Hearts. I though it got ported to PC/Steam at some point, but maybe it was removed.

I also forgot about the Dragon Quest series. I remember hearing that the one on Playstation had a super-long introduction.

Looking at a list on Mobygames, I also forgot about Arc the Lad, Breath of Fire, and Lunar. There's also the Tales of series. The one that I've wanted to play for the longest time was Tales of Symphonia, but with all the wonky re-releases, I don't know which is the best to get (I don't know if the Steam version was ever fixed, and I heard the PS3 version was a port of a port).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

the PSP version of VP1 added a few cutscenes strengthening the connection to VP2, and also rewinded all the quality of life added in the original english translation

Rewinded? :confused:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Getsuya posted:

If you can read Japanese I could dump about 10 more on you

Unfortunately, I can't read Japanese, but if you want to post about them, I'd be interested in hearing about them anyway.

The White Dragon posted:

thousand arms is just a badgame

it has a dating sim element (...sort of) and it has an rpg system (...sort of). perhaps the one absolute thing you can say about it is, that it has a world map.

also there are like ten different waifus but only one ending, that is completely independent of who your waifu is

Now you've got me curious about Thousand Arms, because it sounds like a trainwreck.

Also, question for you White Dragon: I read your LP of Star Ocean 2, and I really liked it, but I was curious if you still dislike Motoi Sakuraba.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 3, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i still dislike 90% of motoi sakuraba's music, but i also still think his battle themes (at least the ones composed on synths predating the ps2) are actually quite good. but once he gets his hands on more advanced synths, everything is just a screeching cacophany of random string synths

It was just something I was curious about, because I realized that he was the guy who did the music for Dark Souls 1, and that he was also in a prog-rock band (Deja Vu), which I only know about because I came across their album (Baroque in the Future) on iTunes.

I just remembered you described him as being, "worse than raw algorithmic compression", and I just thought that was really funny (despite not knowing what it is).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I mean yeah you absolutely should play all those first. but if you like to play RPGs a lot you will eventually run out of good ones, they only make so many in a year

In terms of stuff that's come out recently, what's worth checking out? I know Octopath Traveler was big, and there was Tales of Berseria. Final Fantasy XV I heard wasn't too bad, but I didn't know what it was about, other than that *insert boy band road trip joke here*.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I do have Nier: Automata, I just haven't put any time into it yet.

The Yakuza games are great. I loved 4, but I haven't made it very far into either 5 or 0 yet (started both, put them aside, then got distracted with something else).

Now that I think about it, someone brought up Dark Cloud 2 the other day, and I keep forgetting that I downloaded that for PS4. I've been meaning to put time into it, but I keep worrying about making sure that I don't forget about any of the missable stuff.

I've heard a lot of people praise Trails in the Sky, and I think I got the first one on GOG. I think I wanted to grab the whole set, but apart from the first game, the other ones don't get that deep of a discount.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess what The Dark Id LP'ed to completion just recently? He's currently doing Shadow Hearts, incidentally.
Goddamn. Well now I need to decide if I want to try to play it myself, or just read the LP. (I still need to finish reading the Xenogears LP, though)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is well worth your time, aside from a noticeably-cheap translation effort.

Digimon Story: Hacker's Memory is also good but do not play it before Cyber Sleuth. It is a side-game to that, and one that make BIG assumptions on you having played and finished it first. Otherwise big parts of the story just come and go out of nowhere with zero context provided.

I remember hearing Cyber Sleuth was pretty good, but someone said it go really dark or existential or something with its plot points partway through. Maybe I'm mixing that up with another game, though.

Sakurazuka posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is pretty good, the gatcha stuff is dumb and some of the Blade designs are meh but outside of that it's cool.

I forgot about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I don't know what it did that made it stand out. I remember there was a Xenoblade game that was teased for Wii U (I think it was like Xenoblade Chronicles X, but the teaser trailer just called it 'X'), and you were driving a mech around or something.

cheetah7071 posted:

Atelier Lydie and Suelle is phenomenal

The Atelier games were another series that I remember being curious about, since I think one made it to Steam (Atelier Sophie?). All I got was that you're an alchemist and that was it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just realized you're talking about DQ7. Somehow thought it was FF7 :cripes:.

That being said, is there anything to know about the PC versions of FF7 and FF8? I remember hearing FF7 PC got an official patch to replace the MIDI music with the PSX version, and that FF8 PC emulates the PocketStation Chocobo minigame.

I also recall seeing a mod for FF7 that replace the overworld model with more high detail, to-scale versions, more akin to FF8's.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

all of the pc ports of the psx final fantasy games let you use turbo speed

Oh, yeah, I think I read about that. I meant more like external, fan-made stuff. Like I heard there was a revised translation patch or something.

The original MIDI music I actually wouldn't mind having still, if only because it'd be fun to try different MIDI soundfonts to see how it comes out. Imagine the opening theme on a Roland MT-32. :allears:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Stelas posted:

FF7 New Threat is a really cool full mod that rebalances the entire game, gives you a ton of new weird little systems to interact with, and even programs in joke bosses, entirely new cutscenes, and a lot of interesting challenges. It's definitely worth playing if you fancy 'FF7 but different'.

I looked up some footage of it, and it seems interesting. The notion of adding new content and scenes to the game, is cool, but it sounds like the mod makes the game much more difficult.

Also:

Max Wilco posted:

The original MIDI music I actually wouldn't mind having still, if only because it'd be fun to try different MIDI soundfonts to see how it comes out. Imagine the opening theme on a Roland MT-32. :allears:

Guess what I ended up doing.

It doesn't sound that great, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

:words: about the Atelier games.

Got linked to this from another thread, and I just wanted to say thanks for this post, because I was mildly curious about the Atelier games, and this gives some good insight into where to start.

Getsuya posted:

Are either of the big-name Chinese RPGs on Steam worth playing? Reviews seem mixed but people praise their stories and I'm willing to put up with a lot for a good story.

Edit: I mean Sword and Fairy 6 and that Gate of Somethingorother one. I realize there are actually a ton of Chinese games on Steam I'm talking about the two that got translated.

I remember seeing something about there being a bunch of RPGs from China that got localized in the last couple of years.

The one I saw was Gujian 3, which sounded like it was good.

https://twitter.com/felipepepe/status/1211697326600798218

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like Rogue Galaxy, but I fully admit I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to other people.

What's wrong with Rogue Galaxy? I remember reading a write-up about it, but I forgot what the big issue with it was.

EDIT - From the HG101 write-up:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rogue-galaxy/ posted:

Alas, as charming as the characters in Rogue Galaxy are, even they can’t drive the story along. Things start out interestingly enough, but the game’s story loses steam quickly and never really gains it back. Each situation gets more convoluted and downright silly than the last, and a lot of the story arcs seem to end prematurely and vaguely, with lots of questions left unanswered and loose ends to remain untied. It’s pretty tragic when you consider that the writers had everything they needed to make a fascinating story. They had a great cast of characters, a wonderful setting, and very good cinematics. Unfortunately, all that means next to nothing when you’re telling a story that’s comprised mostly of elements recycled from other JRPGs.

Was that the only issue?

Rascyc posted:

speaking of strange narrative choices, I remember when I played Baten Kaitos 1 and someone told me the fairy's voice was distorted (or maybe just bad it's been forever) cause it's supposed to simulate being inside your head or whatever

Was that true or just more of the usual voice acting quality of that era

I never played Baten Kaitos, but I do remember reading about something along those lines.

EDIT - Ah, from the LP Archive:

https://lparchive.org/Baten-Kaitos-Eternal-Wings-and-the-Lost-Ocean/ posted:

There is one other thing I want to discuss before we continue. You may have heard about Baten Kaitos' voice acting. It's...poor. Well, maybe not as bad as rumor would have it - I personally find the main characters decent enough - but some of the VAs are spectacularly awful. From what I understand, all of the voice work was actually done in Japan, so the VAs are Japanese people who happen to know English. Furthermore, the character's voices have a horrible tinny quality to them. This may actually deliberate on the creator's part. Apparently they wanted to simulate the fact that you, the Guardian Spirit, are from another world so you can't really hear the characters properly or some bullshit like that (though that may be an excuse and it's really just bad quality. Who knows?). Regardless, I must say that you just haven't experienced Baten Kaitos: EW&tLO until you hear how horrible some of the voice work is.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 6, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I kinda want to play this game but the aesthetic really puts me off.

I don't know anything about Tokyo Mirage Sessions (something to do with idols or something?), but it seems like the antithesis of what one would expect from the premise 'Shin Megami Tensei crossed with Fire Emblem'.

Anyway, Rogue Galaxy sounds...interesting. The impression I'm getting is that it's just sort of unmemorable, and has some rough patches throughout. I dunno, it just piqued my interested, since it was available as a PS2 Classic and I figured it would be along the lines of Dark Cloud 2, just maybe not quite as good. Out of the other PS2 Classic RPGs I've thought about buying (Eternal Ring, Okage, Dark Cloud 1), it's ranked near the bottom.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

For anyone who interested in trying one of the Atelier game (like me), the series is on sale on Steam between now until the 21st.

I've only seen the Atelier games mentioned in passing, but what I heard made it sound like they were pretty good and unique. This post outlining the series was helpful in getting more of an insight about what each game focuses on, and where to start with the series. However, out of the recommended starting games (Rorona, Ayesha, Lydie and Suelle, Ryza), I'm not sure which to go with. Right now, I'm leaning towards Atelier Rorona, since it's the first one chronologically, and one of the cheaper ones on sale at the moment ($23.99 USD, versus some of the others which are still in the $40 range).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

The series just looks to moe anime for me to enjoy.

I mean, admittedly it is the kind of thing I am a little self-conscious about playing. Not to compare the art or gameplay directly to these games, but it makes me think of visual novels like Kindred Spirits or Long Live the Queen, where in someone uninformed might walk in and assume you're playing a cutesy game meant for girls. Alternatively, someone slightly more savvy might think ill of you, either because you're playing a capital-A ANIME game, or that you're playing some sort of H-game like Senran Kagura or Akiba's Trip.

Mind you, I'm not knocking anybody for liking Atelier or any of those other games (If I did, then I wouldn't even be asking about the series in the first place). It's just that compared to more conventional games like Skyrim or Call of Duty, or more anime-esque games like Final Fantasy or Street Fighter, it's not something that the average person wouldn't really "get". Then again, it could just be that all my time on SA has conditioned me to think that liking anime is a shameful vice.

I will say it does look like the games might get pretty saccharine at times, which I imagine might get kind of grating at times. That said, I saw somewhere that Ayesha is more serious in tone than some of the other games.

cheetah7071 posted:

For what it's worth, the Switch/PC port of Ayesha came out literally today so you can be ~part of the conversation~ with that one

e: we also have an Atelier thread if you want to ask there too

Saigyouji posted:

I've considered Ayesha the best starting point in the series for a long time since it has a more lenient timer than the Arland games, but is also more story-focused than Rorona, which can make it easier to get into for people new to the series. Escha & Logy is a good game, and newbie friendly, but being the second Dusk game it kinda assumes you're already familiar with some of the stuff laid down in Ayesha.

Admittably, Ayesha does appeal to me a bit more than Rorona, but the higher price ($35.99) is what puts me off. I'll consider it, though. What I should probably do is sit down and watch some gameplay vids for both games, and get a better impression of how they play.

I guess if I'm feeling bold, I could buy both games. However, my worry there is that I'd get the two games mixed up, and confuse people when I start asking for help with Atelier Ayesharona.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Atelier is absolutely a cutesy game for girls though. There would be no misunderstanding going on if someone thought that while looking over your shoulder

It turns out that games for girls can be good, though

Clarste posted:

I mean, they are. That doesn't make them bad though.

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that made them bad. I just meant that someone would find it odd.

I sort of figured it was shoujo series, but I wasn't entirely sure.

The Colonel posted:

the first theoretical isn't worth caring about and the second theoretical isn't even gonna happen unless you bump into someone so online they're either kinda nuts or would probably understand at a glance what you're playing anyway

"Hey son, what are you playing?"
"It's called Atelier Rorona. It's this game where you play as this anime girl alchemist, and you have to try and keep you business from going under by making friends and building giant alchemy bombs to fight monsters with!"
"...So are you enjoying it?"
"Well, I'm trying for 100%, so right now...uh...yes?"

As to the second, part of my 2020 resolution(s) is to steer clear of extremely online people, but I dunno how successful I'll be in that endeavor.

Endorph posted:

honestly the dusk atelier games artstyle has never even pegged for me as that cutesy, its always seemed pretty lowkey?

'Cutesy' might not have been the most appropriate description for it.

EDIT: Oh, you were talking about Atelier Dusk. I was thinking more of the other games, where the art seems to makes use of a lot of bright pastel, colors.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 15, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

it is a lot like recettear

e: the biggest differences are probably that it has turn based combat and they aren't all comedy all the time the way recettear is

Endorph posted:

recettear was probably inspired by the early atelier games, yeah

Now I'm remembering that I never finished Recettear.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Samuringa posted:

See also the people who are always afraid that someone will catch them playing a game with sexy female characters and be shamed for it.

It's kind of the reason why I haven't gotten around to playing Onebara Z2 or the PC port of Bayonetta yet, despite picking tem up during Steam sales sometime back.

Well, that and a backlog of other games I want to play first.

Libluini posted:

The only people I know who would do this kind of thing were my stepdads. The way their thinking worked, I'm imagining them now breaking down the door to my room, marching in and then screaming at me that I'm gay and lazy after seeing me play a game "for girls". Because that's how they rolled. And coincidentally, the reason why my mother isn't married to either of them anymore.

In short, shitheads aren't your friends, shank them.

:bahgawd: "No son of mine's gonna play some girly Japanese 'Atlee-ere' game! He's gonna play an girly American game, like Barby Horse Adventures!"
:geno: "It's actually pronounced 'uh-teh-li-ei', Dad.'"
:bahgawd: "Dang it, boy, if you wanna talk fancy all the time, why don't ya just join the French Foreign Legion?"

Endorph posted:

And yeah recettear was one of the first games that made people realize japan even had an indie scene

I think its got some fun ideas but doesnt really come together as a whole

I don't think it has the shop managing aspect, but I remember the devs did another game called Chantelise. Was that any good?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 15, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

One amusing compare/contrast I like to point out about Pokemon versus Shin Megami Tensei is that there have been multiple instances over the years in which Pokemon has been labeled as being Satanic by crazy religious demagogues, claiming that Pokemon are demons. Meanwhile, SMT (a series where you actually summon and control demons, can potentially ally with Lucifer, and kill God) has gone unmentioned among that same group of people.

Moving to a different topic (maybe one not entirely suited for this thread), I've been meaning to ask about Code Vein. All I know about the game is that it's been described/marketed as anime Dark Souls. I haven't heard anything real negative about it, and it seems like the reviews for it rated it pretty highly. I've thought about picking it up once it goes down in price.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Getsuya posted:

I really want to see what happened in the timeline where they didn't rename 'Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children' to 'DemiKids' for the US release. The ads would have been amazing 'You thought Pokemon was satanic? Teach your kids to summon the Actual Devil Himself in True Rebirth of the Goddess: Devil Children, now for GameBoy Advance!'

I mean, if you want to get technical, one of the Last Bible games got localized in the US (as Revelations: The Demon Slayer), and the box blurb had something along those lines:

cheetah7071 posted:

Code Vein is like if Dark Souls 1 had Dark Souls 3 bosses

And also jiggle physics so sensitive the breasts sway in the wind

I've not played enough of Dark Souls 3 to know what that means.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Code Vein is my second favorite Soulsborne

If Code Vein is you second favorite, what game is the first?

The Colonel posted:

god eater 1 has fun ideas but its monster hunting is extremely unsatisfying rip. i heard god eater 2 was more of the same

i think god eater 3 was supposed to be better but i didnt get around to it either

I bought God Eater 2 at some point (I think it included God Eater 1 along with it), but I've yet to play it. All I remember hearing about it was that it was a game that allowed for a lot of customization with your character.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pokemon was and is worldwide phenomenon that targets young children. Shin Megami Tensei was and is a niche franchise that targets adults or teenagers.

I know, but it's still funny to think about.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Dark Souls 1

:same:

Well, maybe it's tied with Nioh, but I think I finished DS1 before Nioh, despite playing them both around the same time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

God Eater 2 is rear end except for Ciel, go straight to 3 imho

I would, but I make it a (poorly enforced) personal rule to play through all the games I buy. Granted, I very well might end up buy God Eater 3 in the future if it's cheap enough (and yes, I know this is like the third time I've brought up buying a game when it goes on sale), but I'd like to try 1 & 2 first at least.

chumbler posted:

God Eater 1 was very barebones but had good fashion and decent characters. God Eater 2 has more meat to its combat but still pales next to Monster Hunter and Toukiden, completely busted custom bullets if you figure out how they work, and also good fashion, but weak characters. God Eater 3 has the most satisfying combat and gameplay customization, and the guns feel better integrated and you don't have any busted poo poo, but the characters are still mediocre and the fashion is much worse (may have changed in later updates).

They've pretty consistently been improving and Code Vein demonstrates that, but they still lag behind Monster Hunter and Toukiden, though RIP to Toukiden as far as I know. God Eater has some pretty cool monster design, though.

I played the demo (or part of the demo) for Toukiden, but I don't remember being that impressed by it.

I thought I remembered hearing that God Eater was akin to Monster Hunter. It reminds me (as it does everytime I see Monster hunter brought up) that I bought Monster Hunter World on PS4 not long after it came out, then almost immediately dropped it. I still have it, and the time I spent playing it wasn't bad, but...:shrug:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

Specifically in Persona 1, they changed the amount of money to dollars. They did change the amounts for the normal game, both the amount dropped and the amount you need to buy stuff, but the US translation of the game also took out the second route of the game, Snow Queen. You can glitch onto the Snow Queen routes, and parts of it are translated, but parts of it are glitchy dialogue messes. However, it's playable. Up until you get to to a point where a character asks you for money in exchange for info they have. In the original game, they ask for 6000 yen, or about sixty bucks, which you can get in a couple dozen battles even if you're starting from zero, and are likely to just have on hand.

However, since this is unused, they didn't adjust it, so in the translation they ask for six thousand dollars. In a game where you're getting maybe a buck or two per battle.

I knew there was a way to get onto the Snow Queen path in the US release of Persona 1 (I figured you had to use GameShark codes), but I didn't know that parts of it had been translated. I figured it was all just messed up dialog messages from the one or two screenshots of it I had seen (I really should play Persona 1 someday).

It actually makes me wonder why there's never been a patch to restore the Snow Queen route proper to the US version (I figure maybe it's not possible to modify the game to that degree, and I suppose it's sort of unnecessary since it was added back in via the PSP version).

Didn't the Snow Queen route also have some sort of insane challenge where you had to go for like 8 hours between save points or something?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

From experience, you really shouldn't.

Based on what I've read and heard about it, I know that it'd be smart to skip it.

But I'm not that smart...

More seriously, I'm not actually going to start it now, but I'm curious if you just mean the PS1 version, or if you mean Persona 1 in general. I know that the PSP version tweaks things like the encounter rate and the interface to make it a bit more palatable, as well as having a better translation.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I haven't played the PSP version but it would take a hell of a lot of tweaking to make Persona 1 a game someone would actually enjoy playing

arisu posted:

I'll put it this way, back in the 90s, I was eating up every lovely jrpg that would pop up for the Playstation. They were my life. My buddy bought me Persona for my birthday, and even back then I couldn't get more than 6 hours into the game before losing interest.

Well now I'm just curious about seeing how bad it gets, and how long I can put up with it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's bad, but not quite DA2 bad. It's basically a single player mmo where you do tedious fetch / kill quests.

Wasn't DA:I originally supposed to be an MMO, which resulted in it playing akin to one?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

lmao that the single best character in the mass effect series got sidelined for game 2 and 3 because he can die in game 1

Who, Kaiden or Wrex?

Endorph posted:

shes basically a character from a wacky 2002 webcomic transposed into an aaa 2010s video game

I haven't played Inquisition, but from looking at a character list, I'm guessing that's Sera?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 18, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

DA:I has some okay writing and combat's kinda fun but its insanely bloated with fetch quests and bear pelts, and also it has the worst written lesbian in video game history to the point I resolved to never buy another EA or bioware game ever again, a vow I have upheld to this day.

Considering that the last two game Bioware put out were Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem, that was probably a good call.

SirSamVimes posted:

Given that I said "best character", why would you even think it was Kaiden :psyduck:

I was just thinking in terms of characters who can die in ME1, and I didn't want to rule anything out.

But yeah, I guess Kaiden is pretty forgettable.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 18, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

What still kills me about Mega Man X7 was that it was set up where you couldn't play as X until you save like 20 Reploids or something. Until you do that (presuming you can do that), you only have the option to play as Axl or Zero. It's a Mega Man game where you have to unlock the ability to play Mega Man.

It'd be like if there was version of Mario 64 where you had to run around as Yoshi, collecting a few stars before you could play as Mario.

Oh wait, that was a thing, wasn't it?

Man, all this Mega Man talk is reminding me that we almost got Mega Man Legends 3. :sigh:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

X7 is really weirdly inconsistent with its graphics. Once you scale up the graphics, the models actually are not awful under the "PS2 blurriness", but then you'll occasionally have one they just spent no effort on. The backgrounds are usually pretty bad, in general.

The GameCube/Wii is sort of the same, where if you run games in Dolphin, you see a bunch of detail that you can't normally see because of the low quality of the A/V connection.

Maybe I missed a post, but what game is this from, anyway?

EDIT: Oh, it's from Daikaijū Monogatari (Legends of Localization article)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 20, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Lord Ephraim posted:

After finishing Ni No Kuni 2, I'm trying to think of the blandest RPG ever. NNK2 was the prettiest blanest game ever but is it the worst in that regard?

Reminds me of a DS RPG named Nostalgia where it's like Skies of Arcadia in that you start with your airship and explore the world (actual early 60s Earth in fact) but somehow took this cool theme and made a cookie cutter turn based battle system, non existent character development despite your dad is literally Indiana Jones and another NPC is Charles Xavier if he was a little girl instead, and a dumpster fire localization from Ignition, the people who brought you Arc Rise Fantasia.

Quest 64 is pretty bland.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

remembering reading a post where someone acted like they'd uncovered a dark secret when they found out the valkyria chronicles artist drew porn, and then a year later i went to comiket and the valkyria chronicles artist literally had a giant valkyria chronicles poster next to his stand where he was selling his porn

also dude's line was like 100 people long.

I think most, if not all mangaka have done porn doujins at some point. I think they usually do it under a pseudonym, though

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is anyone familiar with Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth? I was looking something up last night, and saw it mentioned on a 'worst RPGs' list. I had never heard of it until now, but it looks similar to Final Tantasy Tactics.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

X-Men Destiny

Every time I see something about X-Men Destiny, I laugh because, apart from it not being very good, the Silicon Knights/Epic Games lawsuit kerfluffle resulted in all the unsold copies of it being destroyed.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Raven Software did some pretty badass X-Men RPGs

I wish Raven Software wasn't trapped under Activision.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Looper posted:

yeah like, I'm glad the localization team is trying but the devs are still gonna be bad, and personally speaking it doesn't make me any more interested in the game

I dunno, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but if they had to get the 'green light' to make the changes, then maybe there's the chance that devs will reflect on the issue, and be better about it in future games.

Amppelix posted:

that reminds me, royal isn't changing the original script for the most part, right (i mean, they'd have to rerecord the whole game otherwise)? so all the super weird phrasings and translation goofs will still be there?

I thought they were revising the script?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

katsura hashino, man who said catherine: full body is the game he wanted to make but couldn't because of "cultural sensitivities of the time", isn't going to suddenly stop having weird ideas about lgbt people because some localization staff at atlus us got the green light from corporate higher-ups to make small tweaks to some scenes in persona 5 two years later in a rerelease

reminder that still the only version of catherine, including full body, that doesn't deadname erica, is a pc port commissioned by sega. which came out before full body.

if you want an actual example of devs kind of growing, look at yakuza, where they actually did just, outright remove homophobic and transphobic scenes, in both japan and the us, because they realized those scenes sucked

Understood.

-

Moving to something less controversial, is the PC port of Final Fantasy XII worth checking out? I never got that far in FF12 (I think that was the point where I got burned out on Final Fantasy), but it's one of those games where in retrospect, I don't feel like I gave it a really fair shot.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I'm thinking about playing through the original version of FF7 before picking up the remake (although if I remember right, the remake is going to be split across two games or something). I picked up FFX on Steam last weekend, and since I have some of the other games through Steam, I thought about trying to play through the games in sequence (7-10) in an attempt to start clearing my backlog.

Is there a recommended set of mods for the games? I found a channel on YouTube (AustinSV) that did videos covering the ports on the PSX & PS2 Final Fantasy games. It sounds like with all the ports of the PSX games, there are various issues that you need mods to fix.

I know FF7 has a bunch, including gameplay overhauls like New Threat, and graphic mods (ReMako?), but those are the only two I know of. I'm not looking to massively overhaul the game; I would just want to have the HD background, minor graphical fixes (the weird open mouths thing), and anything that correct control/gameplay/etc.

FF8 sounds like it's the roughest of the bunch in regards to its port (the original Steam at least; I don't have the FF8 Remastered version). I've already forgetten a lot of the issues that were mentioned in the video. One I heard was that it lacked proper analog control. There was mention that there was actually a custom engine for the game that was being worked on, which took me by surprise, but I imagine is not in a finished state.

It sounds like the only mod you need for FF9 is Mogari, and the FFX port sounds like it's fine as it is for the most part.

I should say that I've not finished any of these games (it's been a long time since I've played any of them, and the only one I got close to finishing was FF9), so I'm looking to keep it as close to the vanilla game as I can. That said, I'm still open to quality-of-life mods or something that you think drastically improves the game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tae posted:

The FF7 remake is hell loving not going to be just two games

I remember it being said that it was going to be episodic or something, but that was a while back, and I don't remember if they were keeping with that or not.

Amppelix posted:

Here is a big ol modpack which comes with a convenient installer where you can enable just the stuff you want. https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0

The translation patch and audio replacement sound pretty good. I'm not clear on what Menu Replacement does, as it sounds like it just cleans up the interface a bit, but a search shows examples where it's been radically changed. Only other things I want are something to fix the open mouth thing and the ReMako upscaled background, but it sounds like those should be compatible.

Does the modpack disable achievements? The forum post says it does, but I've seen other posts online saying that achievements still work with mods. I know it's dumb to care about achievements, but I like having a little timestamp of when I accomplished something in a game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So after getting FF7 set up on Steam, and playing through the opening, I played the Final Fantasy 7 Remake demo. It was...pretty good!

Some things I noted:

• They did a pretty good job of replicating the areas of the reactor you run through, while also adding in new areas that link each area together (not sure why a reactor has a ticket booth, though). I do miss the more grungy look of the original though.
  • In connection, the demo overall feels like it runs a lot longer than the opening of the original does. Encounters in the original are over pretty fast, since most of the enemies take one or two hits. Here, the enemies take a lot hits.
  • Combat feels pretty good, but I don't know if I just didn't grasp it that well, or if there's an issue with how it flows (I was playing on Normal difficulty). As Cloud, I ended up taking a lot of damage, and burned through a lot of the potions I collected. As Barrett, one small issue I had is that when you first gain control of him, hitting those turrets up above was a little awkward because the camera doesn't rotate all the way up to show them in full view (you can only see the bottom half).
  • The boss fight against the Guard Scorpion is where I had the most trouble. The fight itself wasn't hard, but I felt like I was supposed to have done it faster. The game says to hit it with lightning magic and hit the thing on the back to destroy the shield, but the lightning magic didn't seem to work sometimes, and getting behind it to hit the shielding device felt awkward. The fight was where I burned through most of my potions (mostly for Cloud). My strategy was to try to get into close range and beat the boss in Punisher Mode, but I get the feeling you're supposed to spend more time blocking and dodging. I think my issue is that I was trying to rush it because of the timer, but obviously the timer doesn't start until after you beat the boss.
  • I probably missed this during the tutorial message, but I realized when fighting the slashing guys during the escape, blocking at the last moment will counter attack.
  • I wish that you could switch from Operator to Punisher during a combo, because the ideal method of attack seems to be to close the distance with Operator, than immediately switch to Punisher to deal damage fast. One annoyance I have is that ATB won't let you use potions unless you have a bar, but I suppose the original game is like that. I guess maybe in the remake demo, it came across like you just need ATB to do the special moves.
  • Story/Writing-wise, they translate the little spats between Cloud and Barrett pretty well (highlight was the bit with Barrett making the joke with rank and age). I'm still disappointed that they didn't bring Steve Burton back to play Cloud, but the new voice actors fine. Dunno if Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse are fleshed out better here or in the original. One thing I took note of while playing the opening of the original last night is how the characters physically emote a lot. which adds a lot.
  • I don't know if this is just me being dense or what, but in the cutscene where Heidegger and President Shinra have the bots start shooting up the plant after the bomb goes off, I wasn't sure if that was implied that the bomb failed and they were making it look like it had worked, or if they were causing additional damage to try and kill AVALANCHE by bringing the plant down faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I've thought about playing a Star Ocean game.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Technically it is if you use the Pause mode, or whatever it was called. I absolutely did, because getting smacked with attacks while you're just scrolling to find the right item in your inventory is not my idea of fun.

Doesn't FF7 Classic have an choice in Options to set Active Time Battle to 'Wait'?

The White Dragon posted:

that's because you're supposed to use this against the enemies instead of queueing a billion things and using it against yourself :ssh:

:confused: It's been a long time since I played FF9, so I'm not clear what this is referring to.