Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Levantine posted:

I picked up Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker cheaply yesterday. Anything that would be good to know before going in?

It's been a while since I played it but make sure you prioritize story missions since party members can die if you don't do them fast enough which can gently caress you over if you save often. Once you do that then you can work on the social stuff.

[e] Oh, and try to fate level 2 on your dudes as quickly as possible. It makes getting skills way easier and allows you to get more than one on an enemy (which is really good for bosses since they usually have advance or unique stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jimmy and the pulsating mass is pretty dope you guys. If you like 'quirky' JRPGs like earthbound and lisa and can stand janky RPGmaker engine give it a shot. It started off slow and the 3rd dungeon was obnoxious as hell but the game kept getting better and better. The jokes hit more than they miss, the locations and enemy designs are varied and cool and the soundtrack is great.

I'm normally weary of games that bandy about earthbound as an inspiration, but I feel like it's one of the few indie games that live up to it. Jimmy and the pulsating mass is also pretty heavy content-wise. Steam has me at 25 hour and that's without me doing any of the big sidequests or optional dungeons.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man next month is going to be insane RPG-wise no matter what you dig.

Dragon Quest 11, Bard's Tale 4, Pathfinder King Maker, Metal Max Xeno, and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dragon quest has some of the best monster designs of the entire genre. I think I wasted 30 minutes looking at all the animations in the log book.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Really Pants posted:

so hey I know I fed a whole bunch of people to a demon but I'm like real sorry about it

my b y'all

Yeah I like dq 11’s story but it lets people who’ve done heinous poo poo just skate consequence free a few times in the game in a way that took me out of the story a bit.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I want refrain but I’ve been burnt by so many Japanese dungeon crawlers. Also so many games I want are coming out on the 25th

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pathfinder is pretty good so far (of the 2.5 ish hours I played). I was worried when they forgot to include the .exe when it released.

I just wish it had PoE's speed controls and that the text wasn't so light because it's hard to read with my lovely eyesight.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think they were supposed to be putting out a HD texture/tile pack too

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

One thing I like about the pathfinder game is the character screen that neatly and clearly tells you what each class gets every level.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Metal Max Xeno is really bad you guys. Like, I'm not going to pretend the series as a whole is a masterpiece but they did their own thing and I enjoyed Saga and Returns. It's a super niche series so I jump at the chance to support it since we havne't got anything since the ps2 one and it might be the only game purchase I actually regret this year.

Xeno strips everything unique and good about the series and looks and plays like a vita launch title.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Can you say anything positive about it?

Not much honestly? Getting unique weapon drops from the bosses if you do enough elemental damage (that's separate from the boss' actually weakness) is kinda neat. Tank customization seems to be intact and the game seems pretty generous with the parts at the start.

I think the biggest sin the game commits is it's version of wanted sucks

[e] The preemptive strike system is pretty cool becasue it takes your tank's actual weapon into account. So if you have a gun that does aoe damage it can hit all the enemies before battle if you aim it right. it also takes distance and line of sight so you can't hit a enemy if it's too far out of a weapon's range.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 29, 2018

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How is Labyrinth of Refrain?

As someone who bounces off a lot of Japanese dungeon crawlers I like it a lot. The party buildings reminds me of soul nomad where the room is more important than the actual characters.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What are the chances it gets broken to poo poo like the s/nes classic? That list isn’t worth it to me for $100 but if I can made my own jrpg box...

[e] speaking of jrpgs all this star ocean 2 talk made me want to play the remake on my vita but apparently it’s another one of many psp games that’s not on the PlayStation store for some reason. God, all versions of psn are loving dogshit. I still remember the only way to get Z.H.P on my vita was buying an online code from gamestop.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 29, 2018

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It’s a drat shame since pillars 2 is drastically better than the first in pretty much every way.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

YIIK is bad right?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It’s a shame Y2K turned out bad because I love jrpgs set in the modern day. The one thing you don’t people to say about your earthbound inspired game is the writing sucks and the characters are unlikeable.

Good thing knuckle sandwich comes out this year, it’s demo was pretty good.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 17, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hearing how bad it YIIK is kinda makes me want to get it. I just can’t do 10+ minute for non-boss battles though

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dragon’s dogma was apparently good enough to get ported to every console in existence but not enough to ever localize the online game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Did Alex have a heated gamer moment or something?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Those mini games seemed way too long for the effect they had. Also lol at the idea of losing at the end and ending up not doing anything.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Where are all the indie games of wildly varying quality based on Live A Live?

I always wondered this too. Just have a bunch of indie devs do a bunch of short scenarios that have the same mechanics and somehow tie them together.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm playing travis strikes again and I cracked up when I saw YIIK as one of the shirts you can buy.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man you sure can tell Another EDEN was made by the chrono trigger dude.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dehry posted:

If you need to buy a Vita or memory card, I suggest you do that ASAP

https://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/hardware/pch2000za11.html

gently caress proprietary parts forever. I had to buy a $40 third party cord for my vita because Sony wanted to be greedy only to stop giving a poo poo about the thing anyway.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

My problem with the last fire emblem is the story and characters were clearly hurt by the multiple version gimmick so I hope FE:Harry Potter can avoid that problem.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

apparently the grimrock dudes are making a strategy RPG called DruidStone who's combat is like enter the breech (more of a puzzle where you have to use you abilities as effienctly as possible).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

My interest in Dissidia Dissidiassipated when it was revealed to be a 3v3 clusterfuck teamfighting game instead of just a normal FG with Final Fantasy characters.

That’s what did it for me too. I tried the beta and didn’t know what the gently caress was going on.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody try Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark? it's a indie game aping final fantasy tactics and it looks like it's coming out of EA soon.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Did spirit armor ever finish the sakura wars 1 lp? It's hilarious if it went on long enough to us to get a English version of a reboot first.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

credburn posted:

I've been playing a bunch of old games that RPG Maker kind of emulates. Does anyone know of any, if there are any really good RPG Maker games, on the level of FF6, etc. ?

Edit to add: I've played a few, To The Moon, and others. I'm seeking something that has a lot of mechanics thrown in, like a materia system or monster catching or whatever. I mean, that and also a good story.

It’s more earthbound than final fantasy, but jimmy and the pulsating mass was only of my favorite games of last year and got like, no attention.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If you enjoyed Lisa the painful also check out Lisa the pointless. It’s a fan game that’s almost as high of quality.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is it weird that I love mama khemia but have never been able to get into any mainline Atelier game?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I didn't play YIIK, but it seemed like you were genuinely supposed to think Alex was cool on some level from what I've seen.I have a gut feeling that he's pulling a tommy wiseau and acting like Alex was supposed to be unlikable after everybody universally dumped on the game for how much he sucks.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just hope it has as much love for the franchise poured in as the Zelda one. I normally ignore dlc, but if we can get non-persona characters I would eat that poo poo up.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I hope that rumor of the ps5 having bc up to the ps1 is true because there’s a ton of ps2 rpgs that I want to replay that aren’t on the store and don’t play well with emulation.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Druidstone is pretty dope so far. The combat definitely has that in to the breach feel and even the leveling system works the same (doing well on missions gets you gems that you can freely slot into abilities to make them better).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm more amazed you haven't come across Gymnopedie no 1 being used as generic sad music before now since it's been in about a billion things

The same thing happened to me when I played mother 3 a billion years ago.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Druidstone is dope. If you want something that plays like into the breach but a bit less tight it's definitely worth it's asking price. I just unlocked items and they are really opening up my options tactically.

The story is fine but I almost wish they'd just inserted the game in a rouge-like frame.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what was your very first, your perfect virginal rpg?

mine was phantasy star because i'm very old

The first rpg I can ever remember playing was super Mario rpg. I think my brother rented it and I distinctly remember not understanding anything because I couldn’t read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just hope they can nail the writing. OS 1 and 2 had great turn based combat, but I just didn’t give a poo poo about anything story-wise in either game.