Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Hello RPG thread, I have a question for you all

What are some games with really good world maps? I would like to submit FFIX, thanks to the chocobo minigame, and Skies of Arcadia, mostly thanks to the discovery system despite the map's relative emptiness. Honorable mention goes to Chrono Trigger for looking really pretty and not having random encounters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Amppelix posted:

If I say Terranigma, is it cheating?

Never played it, how is it cheating?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I would unironically play a Vanillaware walking simulator

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Super Mario RPG
Super Paper Mario :twisted:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I ordered Shining Force Neo and Arc the Lad Twilight. After these two the next ones I might get are Valkyrie Profile 2 and Metal Saga. Gotta catch em all

also I might look into Dual Hearts because apparently it's not-Alundra by the alundra devs

Metal Saga is really cool, but I found myself struggling to want to finish it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

5) Changing a unit's Alignment is an involved long-term process. To raise a unit's ALI, they need to fight enemies who have higher levels than they do, and enemies with low ALI. To lower a unit's ALI, they need to fight enemies who have lower levels than they do, and enemies with high ALI. This is an extremely slow process that uses a really obscure formula, but you can expect to shift your alignment by like 10 maximum per battle, and that's if you dedicate the unit solely to fighting enemies that will change their ALI in the direction you want it to move.
To expand on this, deliberately changing a character's alignment through the game's rules is dumb and bad and don't do it. There's a really easy to do item multiplication glitch. There are also consumable items that can change alignment. Do not use this glitch on stat boosters because that's lame and for losers. Do use this glitch on the alignment changers, because OB64 is really loving good once you have some control over the alignment system

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

removign weapon durability worked in FE14 because they made it so every weapon had upsides and downsides, meaning there was choice in what you equipped. If they had just kept weapons a straight upgrade of mt, it would have been bad.

I would've also been fine if weapon durability were restored between battles (soldiers maintaining their stuff) but yeah I like what FE is doing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

Most RPGs are inevitable victories. Limitless items would actually promote some variety because hoarding is a human instinct. Hell, Pokemon of all franchises made the major change to make TM's unlimited because even they know it's tedium ultimately to transfer and save for those specific moves.

This same series still features mandatory roadblock clearing moves like cut and waterfall that you need to visit a specific npc to remove so let's not pretend pokemon is a paragon of good design

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

to me there is a barrier I can't get past, which is, "In order for me to do this in the first place, someone wrote it into the game." also it's a lot harder (impossible) for me to suspend enough disbelief for the remorse emotion to kick in cause, idk, it's not real. the last time I felt bad about video game decisions was when I robbed the bank in Megaman Legends at age 7

it's pretty far out that a game is able to make a lot of people that play it feel shame though. someone should use this power for good

mmm yes tell me more

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mycot posted:

What's there left to say? That's their opinion and they explained why they felt that way.

I mean I'd like to know more about this barrier and whether he can feel anything from fiction or if that barrier only applied to remorse, but okay guy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

well yeah. undertale is possibly a bad example since I just laughed at some of the jokes, but I have cried over several video games. I just can't imagine feeling guilty or bad over anything in them. like I said I feel 'it's not real' is both a good and bad articulation of why this is, since that's certainly part of it but doesn't stop other emotional reactions from happening. possibly I am just a mutant though.
Nah, that's really interesting

mycot posted:

I don't know if you were following the whole conversation, but the context was the idea that inducing guilt is different from "just" sadness.
I wasn't

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

could've been kinda neat, but wasn't

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

I rented Quest 64 because I thought it was Ogre Battle for some reason.

That's my story with it.

I'm sorry for your loss

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Is the PSP Tactics Ogre one of those games where you just keep a guide open at all times? I seem to remember that it has some really obscure mechanics.

Actually thanks to the Chariot/World mechanic, it's pretty much impossible to miss out on stuff if that's what you're worried about. The skills can be pretty obtuse in what exactly they do and how they benefit you though, so you should look those up because it takes loving forever to grind out their levels

E: actually also yeah look up how the chaos frame and loyalty mechanics work, too. Characters will leave you if they don't trust you, and there's one character it can be really easy to lose through World trickery

Looper fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 7, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The short answer is "SoonTM", the long answer is that the goons working on it burned out for a bit, but are still plugging away at its insane amount of text that needs translating. So the real answer is probably more like, "SooaaaAAARRRGHH :suicide:".

It's already done, just going through final qa stuff, I heard

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

Having never played The World Ends with You, should I get the DS or iOS version? Also, are there any hidden gems for the original DS that I missed?

I can safely say Luminous Arc is not a hidden gem but does have titty witches

Get Knights in the Nightmare

Looper fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 18, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I just started FC, too. poo poo gotta power through this.

Please take your time to enjoy a great game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

From what I heard, your first battle isn't for like 7 hours.

That first dungeon is the best part of DQ7

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hubris.height posted:

i like random encounters

Are you okay?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I've played more games with random encounters than without so unless I want to say some of my favorite RPG's are poo poo, I can deal. True, they can be annoying while playing, but you forget about them afterward. Well, I do.

There are tons of great rpgs with random encounters, but they're still an archaic, lazy, and unnecessary mechanic

hubris.height posted:

i haven't encountered any problems

:)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So uh...I just won a Vita, it looks like. Any recommendations for games? Demon Gaze I guess, and Ys Celceta. Tales of Hearts R maybe?

Don't say P4 Golden. At this point, any more P4 is like a kind of torture.

Buy it anyway. And Trails in the Sky 1 and 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

People have been telling me that V-2 is actually a genuinely good game. I don't think I believe them.

I see this and baselessly hope it's for Final Fantasy and just upset myself

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

lets hang out posted:

i was more focused on her spooky face but i like her clothes. the creepy doll people and the textures and the lighting all come together to give that game a weird diorama look that i'm kind of into

Star Ocean 5, presented by Wes Anderson?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

Basically, you should be aware that this is how Lightning treats the entire game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Pretend Geralt's hair is pink in that video and it's like a doppleganger.

That some uh, some quality voice direction right there

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I still haven't played Lightning Returns yet despite feeling extremely :allears: towards the entire 13 thing, it's one of my greatest shames

Don't feel ashamed to enjoy video games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Terper posted:

You must not consume much media at all if you consider something like that the worst romantic subplot you've ever encountered.

Romeo and Juliet is a pretty bad romantic subplot, tbh

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

It looks like they want to be Vanilla Ware.
what does this even mean

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

you may recall this image: maybe :nws:, hairy dudes

that's vanillware

bof6 would be way less disappointing with these bad boys around

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

Literally nothing.

they meant the wings, not the clothes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
people gonna buy that thinking you stay in midgar the whole time...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rascyc posted:

In other random shower thoughts, I really want to try Xenoblade X but I am afraid it's going to be the greatest disappointment of my life. Like Disgaea 3 levels of afraid.

I've never played Xenoblade, but the part at the very beginning of the game where you run to the city for the first time is really cool, as is the part at whenever you want where you walk/swim into new continents

I can't really speak on the story because I haven't progressed it at all after leaving the three chapter tutorial. Exploring is fun

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
how exactly did Nomura manage to go so quickly from character artist to big project director anyway?

al-azad posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles looks neat but regarding the music I'm watching my sister play and there's a 10 minute cutscene of characters standing around a map while droning guitars drown out any dialog. I like the soundtrack as a separate thing but it's used so inappropriately in the game.

hi this is from several days ago from hurdling around Noctilum in the day time is loving amazing but yeah it's a bummer whenever the ambush music ruins the mood

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

Are you talking about recently, or back in the early 00s, when he became the director of Kingdom Hearts?

Kingdom Hearts p much. His wikipedia credits jumping from character designer to director of a huge multi-company crossover project seems kinda crazy imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Xenoblade X is really great. Wish these two story characters weren't so forced on me so often.

They're probably the least interesting too, especially Elma

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

SRPGs:
FF Tactics
Tactics Ogre: LUCT
Jeanne D'Arc
Wild Arms XF

and Yggdra Union!!

I picked up Jeanne D'Arc a while ago but I'm not really feeling it so far :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

gently caress all sting games :colbert:

someone's a completionist :smuggo:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

I can't believe you're blowing through these games so quickly. Somebody get Dragon Quest VII in his hands, he might break a speedrun record.

Alternatively, convince him that there's nothing between 6 and 8

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Okay, remind me to never play Sting games again.

Who's your riviera waifu

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

I really enjoyed Riviera on the PSP. At its core it feels like a choose your own adventure with anime tropes.

It's really cool but I feel like they could've tried to design it without the training mode or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

The fire witch, I can't remember her name

I prefer the bat lady but fire witch is respectable