Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

nuru posted:

Persona Q seems kind of adorable so far, even if the combat system is even more prone to abuse than Persona 4.

Yeah that'll wear off pretty fast and then your just left with a repetitive dungeon crawler with a poo poo battle system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

Recommend games where I get to kill gods but are not shooters/FPS or horror.

Depending on your definition of God. Shadow hearts and Bloodborne are perfect for you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow hearts is probably the best jrpg on ps2. The second game play a hell of a lot better though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Danakir posted:

Speaking of the Raidou games... way back in the day, I bounced super hard off the first game. See, I can't button mash to save my life. Like, at all. So when it turned out I needed to button mash to recruit demons that was a problem to say the least. Which sucked cause I was really digging pretty much everything else about the game. Is there any way to cheese/get around that bullshit?

Cause I'd really like to play but I physically can't otherwise.

They replaced that system with a negotiation system for the sequel. Otherwise but a turbo controller I guess

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should craft Witcher gear it's extremely good and makes nearly everything else obsolete

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah if you're not a completionist. Go look at pictures of Geralt wearing all the witcher armors and choose the best looking one. Just grab the diagrams for that set and you'll save yourself from having to do a bunch of samey pretty dull quests.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Persona hasn't had an adult party member since Eternal Punishment. Which I think is the only Persona game to have adults as party members. And even then only because it was something of a sequel to a game where the characters were teenagers.

It's prequel innocent sin also had Adult party members, not as many but they were there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zore posted:

Cass is 37 based on her backstory and they were asking for women older than 35 :shrug:

Really? She doesn't seem it. I would've guessed late twenties.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

I've been filling in the gaps of Final Fantasy games I haven't beaten and I only have 3 more to go. I'm currently playing through FF3 and I actively want to kill myself.

Stop while your ahead and instead play DQ a series that deserves to be played in it's entirety.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Here's a suikoden trope I'm pretty tired of: in every single game, the tactician is a mysterious rear end in a top hat who doesn't tell you poo poo about the plans until literally the very moment they happen. I understand this is a very simple trick to keep the narrative tension going, but seeing it so often is really making it fall apart for me.

Zhuge Liang pulls that poo poo constantly in the romance of the three kingdoms, so I just assume it's a cultural thing in the places influenced by that piece of Chinese media.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please at least watch an lp of the first shadow hearts. The series is one of the few rpgs a great story and to waste so much of the setup for covenant by skipping the first one would be a shame.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Morpheus posted:

It's wild that Etrian Odyssey Nexus's release was so quiet that as someone who is a huge fan of the series, I didn't even realize it had been released.

Wait what

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bring Matsumoto back and let him make another Tactic's ogre

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"attack and dethrone god"

How many of these games involve specifically killing God? I know SMT for like, the SNES, involves killing Yahweh(YWVH) but most of the other "gods" come off in the demiurge-style diety

Like capital G God? Cause even smt doesn't qualify then.

If your thinking like lesser judeo Christian analogues then final fantasy tactics qualifys

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah just to be clear to those not aware:

Demiurge Style is usually a powerful entity, that would be like a god, but did not create the universe and isn't really omnipotent.

For the record this is almost exactly wrong. In platonic thought the demiurge is the creator god of the world we inhabit but he's still subordinate to the supreme creator, it's imperfection is why everything is merely a representation of the perfect platonic form. Gnostics use the same term for their creator and depending on the sect it can be a sort of antagonistic entity that is lashing out at it's imperfection or a more neutral one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Leraika posted:

oh no what happened in the ffxv novel

apparently tidus get blown up by a bomb disguised as a blitzball

I wouldn't have believed it but someone I trust confirmed it.

Edit: poo poo FFX spoiler

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 24, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My bad dude I can't read clearly

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Use more archers. They shoot farther than the game tells you. That's the secret. They're op as gently caress in luct. Canopus should be your mvp. He's an archer who can ignore terrain.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

breath of fire seems like a series that just... spent its entire life getting mismanaged by capcom

You're absolutely not wrong. So much potential wasted

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

3d is disgusting and a mistake. In fifty years people will look at using 3d models like we do at people using asbestos to insulate their homes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow hearts two does pick up in the later half of disc one and disc two. But yeah it can. Be a bit dissapointing at the first glance

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man the opening of Caligula Effect is nearly incoherent, just a string of scenes of things happening. The battle system seems pretty cool once I managed to wrap my brain around it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I know they're incredibly expensive and I really regret not picking up the whole series at the local game shop for seven dollars each.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Finished Strange Journey last night. I got to Mem Aleph, ground and tried for 2 hours, then said screw it and looked up the endings on YouTube. I had a ton of fun for 75 hours and I didn’t really feel like spending any more time just to deal with their BS last boss. No regrets. Great game except for some BS bosses that required specific builds.

You can just grab a bunch of low level demons who reflect every element. They're defense is so low mem aleph does a ton of damage all of which is reflected onto her.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Play the genesis game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The lag on lcd TV's might gently caress up your timing on the hits in mario, but both games are incredibly easy. Just go try and fine some obscure game that's even easier so you guys don't have to argue about cult classics.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes the games he finds seem pretty cool. Most the time not so much

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's crazy that they updated luna, and atlus just let the only english translation of smt1 rot on the old apple store.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i really really really hope the switch ultimately becomes the nexus for official translations of weird old games. there's so much cool poo poo on the ps1 and ps2 that deserve tls...

Those games tend to look like garbage on LCD's though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

babypolis posted:

does the japanese prison system just consist of throwing someone inside a dark locker for years or what? how the hell would you have no idea of the basic going ons of the world outside

It's honestly not that far off. Japanese prisons are pretty notoriously awful for a first world country.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I still stand by my belief that the slowdown is unnoticeable if you've never played the game, if nobody points it out to you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The ps1 version is still a top tier game. The PSPs translation is better, but the originals isn't incomprehensible. And all the other guest characters and classes added aren't all that interesting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you queue a heal before taking a fatal hit and then it pops after you take a fatal hit do you not die in earthbound. I think that's what happened when I fought the ant but I'm not entirely sure.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Basically. The character isn't KO'd until the HP counter finishes rolling to zero, so if you already had healing queued (or are quick) you can keep the KO from ever happening

Thanks. That's what I thought happened but I wanted to make sure I didn't just gently caress up the mental math in the moment. Pretty good mechanic it's nice when rpgs incentivize you to play fast. I kind of wish every game had a chess timer and forced you to move in a few seconds. It would really kill some of the drudgery people feel when playing rpgs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

would also make it much harder for disabled people, when turn-based rpgs are a genre thats usually very accommodating for physical limitations

Yeah I feel that, I'd like it as a difficulty mode/modifier though, a lot of rpgs that have them are just less money more hp. That's pretty boring, forcing you to make quick tactical decisions is way more my jam. Sorta like a sekiro x dragon quest type deal.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I loved Talos but the game started to lose me when it started introducing all the puzzles where you had to time the jump pads with the reflectors. I hate having to time things right in puzzle games. Baba is you lost me with the same thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Starting to think these people in happy happy village aren't all that happy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The girls bad at cooking p4 jokes are the worst thing. Not just in the game, just in general.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

tales of symphonia does the same joke with raine but it actually manages to make it kinda funny just because of the game having an actual cooking mechanic and if you make raine do it shes terrible at it, and if you grind her to max level at it anyway you get a funny skit.

The only reason I ever beat Symphonia was I had the guide and was compelled to cook as many recipes as possible, absolutely not worth it. And I love me a cooking system in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't check out. Golden boy came out in the ninties and that's the pinnacle of anime humor