Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wendell posted:

This is such an oddly common complaint. There ain't no grind, bro! Unless you're playing the NES originals you're good to go.
I think there are a few grindy spots. Off the top of my head, I was underleveled before Kandar 2 and the Pyramid in the DQ3 GBC port, and in 7 I got brick-walled by the fight right before wolf-boy joins (where you can't use magic) and the evil cloud thing in the temple when your party was split up.

Ended up solving all of those with some grinding. While not too much, it was still grinding. There may have been easier ways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nate RFB posted:

The Tales series' main claim to fame is its battle system, which is unlike any other JRPG series that I can think of at the moment.
Eternal Sonata is like turn-based Tales? I just wanted to namedrop that awful/awesome game. Total shame about its awful parts, because there were parts of it (like the scenery) that are just so incredible :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So, how is Bravely Default, anyway? The name doesn't give me much confidence, and I wanted to complete my Dragon Quest remake collection.
Holy poo poo, is this for real? Mind you, I'm ecstatic that we're actually getting Bravely Default, and DQ7 had just enough dragging points (two - fight with no magic before wolfboy and evil cloud in the tower) that I would hesitate briefly before spending all my money on it... but god, when it came down to it, I'd buy both of them release day. Haven't DQ games always been solid-but-not-exceptional sellers in America?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaneda215 posted:

Any recommendations for the PS3 if we really enjoyed the challenge/in depth story/interesting characters (IMO) in the RPGs of the past? No voice acting is essential as well.
There aren't any. I mean, I was going to say Ni No Kuni, since it's incredible. Or at least something like Valkyria Chronicles or Resonance of Fate, which are good enough (RoF is way worse, though)... but voice acting.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Lost Odyssey has been on my backlog for nearly a year now and I decided I'm finally going to get around to it today. Anything permanently missable I should be warned about in advance?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
God, it's that bad? Should I be asking someone to talk me out of it instead?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

This is basically the perfect summary. It was a Final Fantasy game with one rather good scene about immortality and excellent short stories written by someone who should have written the main story. There were also a bunch of loose ends and unexplored ideas in the game which was honestly frustrating because they constantly teased you with interesting concepts for the immortals.

Oh and combat was a blast even if the hardest boss fight in the game was the first one.
Was looking forward to it, then my disc 1 wouldn't get read in my 360 :(

Gonna give it a buff or something and try again.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Blue Dragon has the best boss fight theme.

Out of all games ever.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Levantine posted:

This was true until Metal Gear Rising came out but yes, it's amazing and must be experienced. In that way the game was a true trailblazer!
Yet another thing I missed by not having picked up Revengeance yet? poo poo, I gotta get on that.

On-topic: How the hell did Hyperdimension Neptunia sell well enough to justify a sequel?!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ImpAtom posted:

That is what makes it worth playing. That poo poo is pure comedy gold.

Seriously, the mechanics are so-so and the plot is goofy but "I guess the devil must be beating his wife! :D" makes it all worthwhile.
Apparently that's an actual expression which I had never heard before, like, a week ago. Talk about synchronicity that I keep seeing it lately.

...and while we're mentioning Wii RPGs, tell me about Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon, with the caveat that I actually enjoyed Eternal Sonata.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT: And I'm guessing that the best way to play Dragon Quest/Warrior III would actually be to play a translated SNES rom rather than the official English translation on the Gameboy Colour? How is the general vibe of DQIII - is it very similar to 4,6 and 9? These are the only ones I played. Loved them though.
The GBC remake added an extra dungeon at the end. Nothing special, just pointing out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nate RFB posted:

I got VP2 to run mostly fine to my recollection after using the GSdx-Cutie plugin suggested here and cycling through some of the interlacing options with F5. It is a very finicky game to get to work though.
Was VP2 the game where you were absolutely not supposed to save state, since the process of saving and loading let the game fix the minor corruptions that came up over time, so if you just save stated you'd eventually get to a point where it crashed 100% of the time?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fronz posted:

That's definitely how VP1 worked, so I'd expect VP2 to be similar.

e: You could totally savestate in VP1 but doing it to the exclusion of hard saving would lead the game to crashing unavoidably.
That was what I meant, must have been thinking of VP1. It wasn't "can't savestate" so much as "don't, because you'll end up doing it all the time out of laziness, and then have no outs."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Renoistic posted:

Does the story go anywhere? Might it be worth playing through if you put the game on easy?
I bet you can guess literally every single twist.

There's a bonus "this game was expanded from the original, where Shadar is the final boss" scene where it looks like everything is ending but then oh no plot twist, too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Prism posted:

You're a horrible person and I laughed anyway.

More seriously: There is absolutely no need to do that, though her Limit Breaks are really good. But the most important one is Fury Brand, and that's a level 2 one.
There's an achievement for getting her last one! And 4.1% of users have it, apparently... while 2.9% have "beat the game", heh.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have Radiant Historia sitting in a 3DS less than ten feet from me... and if I can tear myself away from these drat Ys games I might even get around to playing it.

This is looking like a good couple of months for my backlog-working-through so far.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have also just started Radiant Historia. It's super fun so far, but I am kind of sad to see that this branching timeline thing never really gets more complicated than two apparently?

I don't hate the main character. This is a significant step up. I'm used to being one of those self-loathing protagonists.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Anyone have any opinions on any of the thirteen games in this bundle?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Finished Radiant Historia. A few questions about the stuff near the end...

Why didn't Lippiti and Teo try to engineer a situation where Heiss got the White Chronicle? After their little talk about how Black looked back on all past Sacrifices and White looked forward to the future, wouldn't that have changed his mind about everything?

What does Stocke say if you tell them his name is Ernst at the end? I liked "My name is Stocke. I'm just a man who wants to return to his friends." a lot, and I'm wondering what he says in the other case.

e: also, what the hell was up with Field Marshal Viola? It almost seemed like they changed their mind about her midway through writing. Making it seem like you killed her off in Granorg was dumb, then they redeemed it with the Black Chronicle scene right at the end having some good dialogue and being reasonable, and then they ruined it by retconning you into not killing her and her getting better through Sonja

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

alcharagia posted:

This actually only happens if you do the sidequest about her journal. She'd been keeping the details of her disease under wraps and getting her journal public got them enough details to actually assist her with it.
That makes sense, because the dude was there and talked about the journal, but the existence of that point still feels awful to me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Vittles posted:

I demand you unlock PlatKing on at least one character without using the heart.
That's, what, 1200 battles? I know it's 300 and 310 for the prereqs, which have prereqs of like 2x150 each...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cardiovorax posted:

It probably won't, fair warning. Etrian Odyssey games are super simplistic when you get right down to it and the "draw your own map" gimmick is more of a bother than enjoyable. I keep trying to like them, but I just can't bring it over myself, and I play roguelikes. Strange Journey does the same thing, but a lot better.
This would be the one reason to pick EO Untold - the automap feature in it also draws walls for you! And you can move twice as fast, and autosave every time you rest at the inn, and make text go super fast, and a thousand other little things.

(But EO4 is still better so far.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Super Jay Mann posted:

Also it's pretty refreshing when (very mild spoilers I guess?) Stocke's reaction to one of the bigger obvious twists in the game is "Yeah I figured that out a while ago, thanks for confirming it for me though."
Yeah, if you mean the one I think you mean I was prepared to be yelling at the DS "Dammit Stocke, you've been smarter than this all game!" and then he was just like "yes, I know, moving on".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Baldbeard posted:

Yeah, I played a lot of Dragon Warrior growing up, there's where I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from. I'm thinking something along the lines of a game that is like a simple RPG bot almost. Like you do some management stuff, and then set it to grind a map, and then check back on it to do more management stuff to prepare for the next map. That way it would be even simpler than a Dragon Warrior game, but less monotonous as well.
There's a game called Battle Without End on Kongregate that you might want to check out. The only idle rpg I've played that I didn't totally hate.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Okage was great. Ridiculous in a million ways, some of which were shining examples of bad game design (instant game over if the main character dies, really?), but great. Charming is the right word. Hilarious at points, too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dragon's Crown is a fun side-scrolling beat-em-up. Think Odin Sphere, but with the egregious Sorceress boobs. Game itself is pretty fun, but utterly straightforward - no plot twists, only seven stages to play, although each have two paths there's no randomization at all, it's just bashing and smashing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
And don't forget to talk to the chump in bed to get the super important item without which you cannot beat that next boss fight!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Catts posted:

:10bux: says the first half of BD2 is the second half of BD1 again (again).
Says a lot about that game that I'm not willing to actually take this bet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dragonatrix posted:

...Besides, at least its not as bad as at least one chest in the International remake being straight up invisible and in a place you would never think to try and check anyway.
Sorry, which of the invisible chests with ultimate weapons do you mean?

(Assuming it's the one that's like 1% to spawn on the deck of the airship. gently caress that one.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dragonatrix posted:

And the... bow, I think it is, that you want from it doesn't even have a model either. That's just a cavalcade of dumb gently caress ups really.
That's not even a fuckup. They deliberately made all those ultimate weapons have no sprite. That's beyond fuckup, that's just someone really dumb high in the chain of command!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lotish posted:

:psyduck: What? Why would... why!?
I wish I knew. Here's the first random Yiazmat fight I found on youtube. Balthier is wielding the bow we're talking about, while Ashe has the invisible... sword? Probably the knife, actually, I seem to recall Hunter's Blade F being the most in demand and also dropping from that gently caress Larva Eater.

There's one of each type, and they have the same name as one of the best weapons in that category but with an extra letter at the end, and the letters spell FINAL FANTASY. You can't make this poo poo up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mill Village posted:

The invisible weapons are not the weapons that spell Final Fantasy, those are completely different. The invisible sword Ashe is using in that video is the Trango Tower.
...Right. It's been too long. My bad!

They had two completely different ridiculous ideas :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Catts posted:

So re: FF12, can someone explain this Highlander poo poo to me without going into spoilery detail? I feel like I'm missing out on a bunch of stuff on the sphere license grid because I don't want to permanently poo poo up this playthrough any worse than I have already. It seems like the designers of this game get a chubby whenever a player makes a bad choice that they can't revert.

On a similar note, what's with all the floating licenses on the edges of the job grids? I assume I get some kind of bridge(s) later on to reach these? I'm afraid to delve into the internet wilds for the info because I'm one of the dozen JRPG fans who didn't play this game when it was released and would like to stay away from another Aeris dies scenario.
I'm assuming IZJS and not vanilla, from the questions about the floating licenses! When you get summons, those appear on the grid, and each one will bridge to one or two of those floating tiles. Some classes really benefit from some summons, while for others they're straight-up useless. You'll literally never use them for actual summoning, so go with whatever gives you the best of options.

e: also, thankfully, they fixed the stupid "limit breaks give you more MP bars" thing, you just get a lot more MP as you level, so you don't have to rush for those - but they can be useful to burn down bosses that do things at low percentage of HP. Like a certain piece of poo poo hunt who turns invincible repeatedly!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cake Attack posted:

tbh I can't think of any game where a strong story supports legitimately weak gameplay. And I'm a weeb who likes his JRPG stories.

Like, I could give a couple of examples of games I think are excellent despite only having decent gameplay, but nothing where the gameplay is downright bad. That's why I could never get into Persona 2.
Spec Ops: The Line is the best I can do. Or the original Bioshock. Not JRPGs, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Erg posted:

So, for whatever reason, I want to try playing Ni No Kuni again. What do I have to do to make this less painful on myself?

I stalled out last time on the Alchemy pot boss because my partner kept dying by wandering into his attacks. Also, it felt like I was doing no damage, is the solution to grind more, or are there some really good monsters I should be focusing on?
Grind more or use more items until you get the ability to fly, then get two of the dinosaurs on the cliffs above the desert and just switch between them forever.

Don't rely on the AI, basically be prepared to have Oliver solo everything with his monsters (or his magic in the case of a few gimmick bosses) and anything else is gravy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zaggitz posted:

Dark Cloud 2 was so loving good. Great soundtrack, fun setpieces, hilariously stupid looking weapons. I've wanted Dark Cloud 3 for a decade :(.
Am I the only person who actually enjoyed Dark Cloud 1 more? It was way less polished as a game, but for some reason I just liked it better.

(partially because I hated the camera system gently caress you Maxwell or whatever your name is)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

Do you mean you won't play the earlier ones? Because for all intents and purposes, each FF number is basically a comlpetely separate JPRG with the same main title.
Yeah, I don't know what disliking 13 (a.k.a. the majority opinion) has to do with playing the other FFs - X even has a HD remake and everything!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Variant_Eris posted:

And I'm sure it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to grind levels until Eruca is up to par. If I could do it, I'm sure everyone else could as well. :colbert:

You do have a point about her missing those two dungeons though.
That's the reason it sucks to grind with her too, the best spot for her is worse than the best spot for literally anyone else. That said, it's not so bad, because I did it. But man, Atlus.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Quest For Glory II posted:

- I'm not sure if I should care about evolving my familiars. I've tried to do it maybe one per person at a time so that they stay out of battle and level up quickly, but I dunno that I really need 20 skill choices to choose from either. Shrug!!!
Mostly no. Exception are those monolith guys near the port, who have really nice defense, and whatever random crap you happen to max before you can fly, at which point they're all obsolete and you want those badass dinosaurs on the cliffs just north of the temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Levantine posted:

Suikoden V is one of the few games where the start is so bad and not indicative of the rest of the game that I believe is worth getting through. Once you finally do the game opens up and is arguably the second best in the series but you really have to get there.
Does the list of those few games begin with DQVII? What a loving slog that was until you, you know, fought a single Slime.