Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Demonicon
http://store.steampowered.com/app/215630/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wqqEnL8Fk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I bought ff132 today so I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ff132 is already better than 13 because hope isn't in it

OneDeadman posted:

FF12 gambits are basically perfect and it's incredible that they only managed to bleed into Dragon Age Origins and no other RPGs.

The only real issue with FF12's gambit system is that in the regular game, most of them are blocked off by location.

It's retarded that important gambits like "when hurt" have to be found in missable chests

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Morpheus posted:

People bitched and moaned about the game 'playing itself' when FFXII came out, but every game where I've had to babysit some lovely AI would be made 100x better if I could 'program' their AI routines like I did in that game.

Well, it's better than the original. I liked it, dumb as it was in many parts.

How is FF133 WAIFU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Due to being an overachiever in junior high/high school, I skipped straight from the SNES to the PS2, so I missed out on the vast majority of PSX games. I've finally got some time to play some of the monstrous PSX-era games, so what do I absolutely owe it to myself to play?

I will say that I have played through all the FF PSX games (including Tactics) and Suikoden 1 & 2. Oh, also Koudelka because what is wrong with me. I'm not at all opposed to playing games that feel a little dated and I have a fairly high anime tolerance, if that matters for this era.

On an unrelated note, I lurk the thread occasionally, and I can't remember ever seeing any discussion about one of my hands-down favorte games: Lufia 2. Is it a much worse game than I remember it being, or is it just that uncommon?

If you liked Suikoden check out Saga Frontier 2, its similar thematically and also has really gorgeous 2d art.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

My only experience with Xenogears is having a friend tell me about it regularly when he was playing through it right after it came out. He went from "man this game is amazing" to "what the gently caress just happened on the last disc" or something similar. I've always been curious. Plus giant robots, can't go wrong.

They ran out of money and, instead of just shortening the game's plot, just gave it all to NPCs as endless dialog scenes interspersed with the worst, most boring dungeons in any jrpg ever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

How is the first SaGa Frontier? If I only played one of them, is 2 the better choice?

Apart from the combat, they're just very different. SF1 tries to be a weird, nonlinear jrpg experience; SF2 tries to be Suikoden, complete with top-down strategic battles at various points.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 had a bizarrely good plot for a game called 'Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2'

Including a stone motherfucking cold Drowzee

mystery dungeons are best

even this horrible fangame http://www.desura.com/games/voyage-to-farland has merit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mycot posted:

Dark Id's Let's Plays are like the only funny LPs where the jokes are good enough to be remembered separate from "man this game is so bad". I still remember stuff like that dolphin speech.

On the other hand, he's actually not very funny and also is a massive drama-whore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vaan sucks because he's annoying. At least bland guy from chrono cross is just bland and not actively a twit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Heavy neutrino posted:

Focus grouping shows that your protagonist has to be a teenager with the wits and maturity of a kid or else your JRPG will have negative sales and everyone at your company will commit suicide

this... is my story

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gonna return ff13-2 for a copy of two worlds

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Considering how much poo poo they cut for time from Saga Frontier, they probably just did that so they wouldn't have to animate an ending. Other things cut include an entire other playable character, who was supposed to explain how the other characters' quests were connected and lead to a true ending. But they got their budget slashed so here we are :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mill Village posted:

You guys are making me want to watch some mecha anime so I can understand what the heck was going on in Xenogears. I didn't know much about anime back when it came out.

Alternatively, don't.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Going to play the lightning returns demo now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lightning's return is hilarious

it's like these outfits are designed by retarded children

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dude789 posted:

I'd imagine Amano's outfits look better when not attempting to be recreated using garish colors.

this is supposed to be kain's outfit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zereth posted:

Do you have a higher quality screenshot? The green stuff looks like a rendering error in that one.

that's the quality that the ingame screenshot function uses, because square enix are bastards :shrug:

e: here's someone's screencap

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 6, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zereth posted:

... What? Why does it shrink the thing and...

Anyway, I guess it was an error since that shot doesn't have any neon green in it.

no, this guy just didn't pick the green cape is all. you can change all the outfits' colors if you want, and also there are hats to collect as well because it's an entire game based around the director's desire to play dressup with his beautiful waifu

the combat in the demo owned though so i'm gonna buy it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bought ff13-3

its pretty fun

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think having a time limit isn't bad since it means they don't pad it out to 100 hours, also the combat is good

Also, the story is so bad enough to be funny, which is an improvement over ff13 which was just boring

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

Someone mentioned Langrisser IV a few pages ago, mentioned that it has a fan translation now so all us nerds could play it if we wanted. I'm wondering if anyone has played it? Aesthetically it looks like the kind of thing I very much like and seems to have some interesting gameplay. From what I can tell it has some sort of war combat a bit like Suikoden II, anime as heck character portraits and very classic 16-32 bit sprites and maps. It ticks boxes for me but it could still be very bad, I just don't know

It's quite good. The portraits are extremely anime, which is a weird change from the first few games, but it's interesting because the Langrisser games specialize in SRPG with heroes AND lots of units -- each hero can hire certain units, and you can set them to follow and defend your hero. This means you can move across the map easily and then control them manually in difficult situations.

Pro tip: killing an enemy hero removes his units, but actually killing them before the hero nets you more exp overall. So you have to plan accordingly. Good game design. The turn times can be slow though so if you're emulating you might want to fast forward through those.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's hilarious that in ff13-3 hope is a kid again, for literally no reason

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pandora's Tower was cooler than Xenoblade.

Of course, they hosed that up in America where Pandora's Tower is unbeatable thanks to gamebreaking bugs. At least the Euro release works fine :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Codiekitty posted:

poo poo, seriously? I bought that game on release and still haven't played it, and now I find out it's broken?

For some reason, some save files end up with a gamebreaking hard freeze at a specific point. Nobody knows why, especially since it's not in the JP or EU releases. You can maybe work around it, or never encounter it at all, but it's also possible you'll never be able to complete the game. So there's that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

foutre posted:

I have all three Gothics in my backlog, which one is best to try first? Is it important to go chronologically?

Both 1 and 2 are good, though it's tough to go back to 1 after you've played 2. But if you're going to play Gothic 1, try and find the FPS unlocking mod. By default it's capped to something like 15fps, and uncapping it has no negative effects so there's no reason not to.

If you want the optimal experience, map the controls to a gamepad and play it that way. They were designed with a PS1-era gamepad and don't make a lot of sense on a keyboard or with a mouse. I don't remember if they have official gamepad support but since you don't need analog or anything you can just use joy2key or whatever and do it that way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Xenoblade was poo poo so who cares if it's "anime"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Moms confirmed to be TOUGH

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

What is vanillas weapon even supposed to be, its like she waves a stick and rocks appear?

Lollin at Hope's badass boomerang skills

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mostly I'm finding it hilarious that people rag on how stupid Lightning's Return is when this is so much worse

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

One clever thing I noticed: when you control Vanille early on, she has 3 ap even though everyone else has 2, and they get the third once they get branded. Which is a clever way of hinting that she already is branded a lcie without outright saying it until later!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite part of FFXIII is the trained police officer giving a child suffering from a very visible psychotic break a large knife and encouraging him to commit homicide.

mine is lightning punching snow in the face over and over

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tae posted:

Considering the story length of XS1 and 2 and how crammed XS3 was, I can easily see 6 games.

We must assume that budget cuts forced them to condense the four tedious pieces of poo poo they planned to make into one actually enjoyable game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

If I recall my first play through of Xenosaga 1 was like 9 hours without rushing. So yeah they were gonna stretch that garbage out for 6 games. At least the .hack games were fun for their 7 or so hours of game.

The .hack/GU also had bullshit jrpg deviantart. You could download horrible fanart of yourself and set it as your menu background, and it was great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Langrisser 4 isn't hard enough that missing minmax stuff will screw it up for you. Don't worry about it unless you are autistic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stelas posted:

What the gently caress, I just spotted Way of the Samurai 4 on Steam's upcoming games list.

I'm SO loving EXCITED

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Star Ocean 4 making me lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

EDGE MAVERICK

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

World War III led to space faring people who still use swords and armor to fight. Because of course it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oblomov posted:

To be fair, Dune used that as a setup. It was, of course, one of the great scifi book series. This in itself did not make SO4 possibly the worst RPG I have played (story wise, not because of technical reasons).

Is it so bad that I shouldn't play it? because so far the story is so bad that it makes me laugh every time