Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

alcharagia posted:

kid characters in rpgs of any nationality are 80% garbage let's be real here

Tita is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

doesn't that show reference anime constantly

Probably, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people working on it watch anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

he did an episode of wakfu too

It's, like, the only episode I've seen and it's really loving good, too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
new vegas had fun, goofy aspects to its characters, too. the character writing in the game was generally pretty dry, but it still had plenty of goofy, fun stuff

i mean, maybe there's less if you play without wild wasteland, but if you do that then you're a loser in my eyes...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ceaser and anything to do with the legion is not what I would call good or natural characterization on any level. Everything about that was half baked as hell.

yeah, iirc ropekid's gone on record saying they suffered from their super tight time constraints and that's a large part of why they're presented in such a lopsided way compared to everyone else

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

alcharagia posted:

i've never played a fallout game

they're pretty good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just want to say that I stand with the people saying Ys Origin is the one to start with. Oath in Felghana is the second best and has more open, RPG-ish world design but Origin is the most polished one in that style and the best for just jumping in and getting to feel what makes it fun, and it has just plain better boss design that relies less on "wait for the boss to finish this pattern so you can start attacking him again"

Only ever play Ys 1&2 if you're really interested in the story of the series afterwards, Ys Origin has a lot of neat little hooks with them you'll notice when you play them and they've actually got neat writing as far as PC-88 RPGs go but gameplay-wise they're not as fun as modern Ys

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 31, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I really like some WRPGs, Fallout: New Vegas is def one of my favorite games ever, but I think generally unless it's a game that takes place in a really cool setting I wanna roleplay in, I prefer JRPGs for just having entertaining characters I have a fun time watching.

I really should finish playing Skies of Arcadia, it was an awesome game from what I played and wasn't actually too difficult but I managed to get stuck on the ship combat thing on the sky desert

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hsQDpCqxIg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the character interaction in tits is the best part but i also have fun with ouroboros because they're literally big fire from giant robo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man posted:

Cold Steel looks like boring sludge to me it just screams, "We can't write anything thing that isn't lovely high school anime tropes, so we're going to waste an entire interesting world by just having you be kids at school."

that's kind of a big judgement to pass based on the barest amount of knowledge of the game's story

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
jade is fun, and natalia is cute

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
personally i think it's kind of silly to imply that falcom is any less 'anime' than gust, but i guess a lot of that might have to do with not having any official english release of nayuta no kiseki for the psp

http://i.imgur.com/jgoFOUB.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
though even outside of nayuta no kiseki, i'm pretty sure falcom has a long history with putting tons of homages to anime they like in their games. i mean, based on what i've heard, the main villains of trails in the sky sc exist because they really liked big fire from giant robo. and one of the characters in gurumin is a big smiling cat named motoro. and the president of falcom in an interview even just said "yeah, the starting harmonica bit of whereabouts of light is an homage to the castle in the sky theme."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
falcom is a company that is secretly full of huge anime nerds who can't help but put in big references to things they like on a constant basis, and i love them for it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Forest Thief Pud posted:

She's a bit of a bitch in the beginning, and outside of that, it's hard to be an rear end in a top hat when the only time she's engaged with the plot is going "Brother..." in a very weak attempt to stop him from doing something or by being the reason Luke's bitching this time around. Tear's just very weak as a character and is honestly the worst Tales main female out there, losing out to characters such as half of a goddess split off and on the run that manipulates a dumb kid into following her and then berating him when he's not the chosen one, the original healbot 9000, and water girl sad that she can't get to first base that get possessed by an angry water god.

i like tear more than colette

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
literally the first thing tear does after she accidentally teleports luke into a different country away from his home is say "okay, i hosed up, sorry, i'll take you back"

tear in the beginning of the game is just a person who's trying to stop bad poo poo from happening and the moment she accidentally fucks up she accepts the blame and tries to fix it, even if the guy she's helping get back home is a whiny rear end in a top hat

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 2, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Man how do you guys manage to remember all this poo poo about a game that was released a decade ago? Abyss to me is just a total blur of Jade being kind of ace and there was a stupid blue thing that Luke kicked a lot until he stopped being a dumb kid which was a negative of his character development in my view.

i played twenty hours of it some time within the last half a year

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Morpheus posted:

All I remember about Abyss is some lower world map that has like two things in it, wasting time travelling from point to point just to activate a single cutscene, then travel back to another location over and over again, and everyone being a complete and utter rear end in a top hat when Luke makes a mistake that most people would've made anyway (something about trusting a mentor of his or something). Also that useless system where you slot in some sort of gems?

luke made a mistake that killed hundreds of people because he was a snobbish prick who became enamored with the idea of being a hero and gaining the respect of the same people who had previously been giving him poo poo for acting like a whiny rear end in a top hat, and believed his master in being told that doing something he himself was clueless about would allow him to become one, and then he lost his poo poo and tried to defend himself for making a mistake that, again, killed hundreds of people when it backfired

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the thing that causes it isn't even just luke being trusting of his master, it's because master van gives him an image of doing this elevating him so far above everyone else that they no longer have the right to tell him how much of a big loser he is anymore, and his fame and respect will force his parents to let him go wherever he wants without being locked up in his home for the rest of time, and luke falls in love with the idea of this so much that he ignores fon master ion's worries about how it might actually not be a good idea and even kind of pressures ion into letting him do it

the problem goes so far beyond him trusting van, luke's mistake is entirely his fault because it came about out of entirely selfish reasons. even if it had worked, and it had saved everyone, luke would only have done it for his own gain

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 2, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Because it is one game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the new xanadu game that falcom made, has a fictional idol group prominently featured in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_webx_PCsps

one of the cutscenes in the game is a cg-animated idol concert

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to use this argument to plug the opening to zwei 2 cause i like it even though the sound quality in this video is garbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD_0BQhdgDM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

From what I've heard the game is one of the best action RPGs out there. It rivals Ys Origin and Oath in Felghana.

xanadu next is loving awesome but its similarities with ys are just in bits of boss and enemy design, mechanically the game plays like diablo without classes or loot randomization, with level design and loot drops more in the spirit of castlevania. there are special zelda-style items you have to find and equip to use abilities that let you bypass certain obstacles and access more areas of the world, and every weapon in the game has a special attribute that you can learn through using it and then apply freely to any other weapon, combining it with that weapon's attribute and any others you've learned.

it also has some of falcom's most brilliant ambient music ever and combined with the plot, where you play as a fatally injured, exiled and shamed knight desperately searching for the secret to acquiring a powerful sword that will restore you from your crippled state, it gives the game an amazing, mysterious and terrifying atmosphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDWjSbuA44

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 3, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

oh there's already an english patch for xanadu next, that makes me really wish they were just doing tokyo xanadu instead

having an official release will make it easier to actually get the game, though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the wild arms writer is too busy writing multiple seasons of the best musical action anime ever made, and i wouldn't rather see them do anything else

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 10, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
and anybody who wants a new Brave Fencer Musashi or Threads of Fate should play Nayuta: Endless Trails cause it's not really actually related to the other Trails games at all, instead it is that game and it owns

or, if you played gurumin, it's like that but without all of the glaring design flaws and control issues

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 10, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
even if xseed for some reason never translates the crossbell arc, there at least seem to be fans translating 3rd and crossbell so you'll probably be able to experience them in some form with time

and really, as long as ao gets a pc port, there's no reason xseed couldn't come back to it some day since 3rd and zero are already covered, and zero's port was an official job released by falcom in 2013

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the way i hear it is that xenosaga episode 1 is exactly as planned, then for xenosaga episode 2 the lead guy on development and story stuff got kicked off and it focused on a random side character, and by the time they got back on for episode 3 poo poo was all hosed and they had no real hope of ever finishing things the way they set out to

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eopia posted:

Isn't that the one with the terrible fan translation?

the fan translation is awkward and bad, but it's comprehensible enough to understand what's going on and the strength of the game isn't really in the writing, it's in the gameplay and atmosphere and level design and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8upj1kflB74

in short, it's worth dealing with to play A Really Good Game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah if you're talking about his xenogears lp and implying the trippiness in xenogears is not the most beautiful amazing poo poo ever, then i'm sorry, but You're Wrong

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no game with rico banderaz can be weird in a not good way

the xenosaga wiki posted:

"My... town? Hmph, don't make me laugh. Who gives a drat about this crap town... I'm crap too." —Rico on the crappiness of Nortune, Kislev

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xenogears loving owns

there's a part where two homages to Giant Robo fight each other on a platform of a giant sky city while the little girl commanding one of them receives the horrible revelation that her father turned himself into an evil robot and she has to destroy him with a rocket punch, and then there's a part where a cowboy priest in a giant robot has to defeat a giant monster by shooting his dad at him while said dad states an awkwardly translated saying about guns, and then there's a part where the main transportation vehicle turns out to actually be the super dimensional fortress macross. hell, even beyond the crazy poo poo there are parts of its world and characters i really like, and i only really played it myself last year

It's A Good Game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Xenogears might be really stripped down, but that's only in the last chunk

pretty much everything in disc 1 is super packed, which in fact is probably what caused the issue

anyway even if it did kinda poo poo the bed that didn't stop me from loving loving so much of it on average that i didn't really mind in the end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
SUPER DIMENSIONAL GEAR YGGDRASIL IV

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rascyc posted:

God I forgot all about Billy shooting his Dad literally from the mech gun in Xenogears

the best part was the scene immediately following it

where billy's dad suddenly reveals that he's still okay because he made modifications to the design, and then he gives citan poo poo for making such a lovely design in the first place

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NikkolasKing posted:

Music in Xensaga is really good at least. It'ps funny how "at least the soundtrack is good" is pretty much the fallback position of every JRPG I've ever heard of. Don't like FFXIII/Xenosaga/whatever? At least the music is good.

tales of legendia has a lot of issues, but at the very least tomorrow will surely be sunny

Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PetEZ_ahg-Q

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if we're talking tales of zestiria then on the bright side, right now, flaming bonds are being tested

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CugyaQzmx8

The weirdest thing about this song is that the rap is apparently part of some audio sample library, because it appears in at least one completely unrelated game.

WAIT A SECOND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW1rgaxsjfo

(2:20)

i honestly hope this really is pulling from the same pool as hideki naganuma because oh my god that would be beautiful

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8