Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love Tales of Vesperia :allears:.

edit: Holy poo poo, Yuri just straight-up murdered Ragou in the dead of night :munch:

Vesperia has its flaws, but man did they get the protagonist right. Yuri's probably one of my all-time favorite JRPG heroes, mostly because he's so refreshingly competent (and has a really nice voice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Does your ranking actually matter, or is it something you can safely ignore if you don't care about score and such?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

My computer ended up dying, so I admittedly never finished it, but what I've played of A Very Long Rope to the Top of the Sky seemed pretty enjoyable. The gameplay and custom assets are admittedly basic, but I really enjoyed its writing. The central characters are all very likable, and it's one of those games where even the nameless NPCs usually have something interesting to say.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 6, 2014

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I was actually kind of enjoying the game (for what it is) until Lymle showed up, pretty much tanking my interest.

"Edgey. Rei-Rei." :geno:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

Nevermind I found it and patched it. Thanks for the heads up.

Would you kindly provide a link anyway? Did some searching, but all I found was an expired wikia. :smith:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Thank you!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Shakugan posted:

So I'm in the mood for a good sci-fi RPG. It's really quite disappointing how rare sci-fi settings are compared to fantasy settings.

I've finished (I'm sure I'm going to forget a bunch):
Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade
Anachronox
Deus Ex
KOTOR games
Mass Effect
Star Ocean games
Final Fantasy games

Are there any good sci-fi RPGs that I'm missing?

Shadowrun Dragonfall is what you're looking for. (Make sure to get the directors cut edition and not Shadowrun Returns)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

I've never touched the Suikoden series outside of the first half-hour of 5 and a good chunk of Exit Fate (assuming that counts), so I want to try my hand at 1 and 2. I know they're on PSN, but I've also heard talk of them being bad ports I think? What's the best way to play them?

Suikoden 2's port has some minor issues with a version of the war music not playing, but the game is still fully playable and there's not really any other way to get the fixed version without emulation.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

The similarity to Rune Factory is the exact reason why I didn't ever get Fantasy Life, actually. I got the first RF because in theory i would love the poo poo out of that kind of game, but it turned out to be pretty half baked and I really didn't enjoy it at all. I take it the series improved by the third game?

The first two RF games are more proof-of-concepts more than anything else, and there's no real reason to play either of them. By the time of RF3, the series found its stride, and both RF3 and RF4 are definitely worth playing if you're still interested in FARM COMBAT. (RF4 has the best mechanics, but RF3 is still very playable and probably has the best cast of the series)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

Is SMTIV a good entry point into the mainline SMT series? I'm getting a New 3DS XL tomorrow and I want some good RPGs for the system. The only SMT game I've played before was Persona 3 Portable and while I enjoyed the gameplay and the high school sim stuff (I know SMTIV doesn't have that) I thought the dungeons were pretty lame.

SMTIV's easily the most accessible of the mainline games. It has its issues, but at the current sale price it's definitely worth picking up.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Semper Fudge posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to force you to do all of the side quests in SMT4 before you could finish the Neutral ending.

The same people who thought it was a good idea to let you be too neutral for the neutral ending.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

How does recruitment even work in Suiko 3 with the three different protagonists? Do the people you recruit with one character just stick with them until the routes all come together, or do you ever have to recruit someone more than once?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm struggling to think of a Fire Emblem game that didn't have incest.
Fire Emblem 4 and 8 had full on blood related incest too though it was more subtly implied in 8, I think every other game does the "not blood related siblings so it's still weird as gently caress but you won't end up with retard babies" shtick.

4. That's the game with incest. Explicitly hosed-up incest for the villain's purposes.

If you look at 8 and see "hm these siblings who show familial love obvs wanna bone" that's on you, dude.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Drawing a blank on any jrpgs other than Suikoden 2 that had good sibling portrayal and I am being generous about Suikoden 2 since you have a silent protagonist.

I'd like to say Nier but I have no idea what all they changed when they made the Old Man special edition just for us.

[e] NO. Not ff13.

Trails in the Sky? Joshua and Estelle have a pretty good dynamic.

(of course I haven't made it through the whole thing yet and there is some very annoying romantic tension being shown between the two (adopted) siblings, so. :v:)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

goddammit

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah its really not weird. Cassius takes in Joshua 5 years before the game starts, and he has a crush on Estelle the entire time

Alright yeah, fair enough. :v:

Technically cousins, but the protag's relationship with Nanako in Persona 4 is pretty good.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tales games usually have fun characters and I enjoy seeing them interact, even if the main plot is forgettable

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

Wild Arms 2's localization goes beyond just being bad into being some kind of absurdist art piece. It belongs in a museum.

Especially whenever Liz is on-screen. Their very presence makes every other character break down, apparently. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pairing-up is pretty much what I did, I appreciated the extra movement spaces.

I mean other than Lucina no, it's not like I didn't have pair-ups constantly or people bunched up together in combat either, the support conversations just happened very few and far between. I got Tharja up to a B with Lon'qu and Libra, that's about it

maybe the reason it took you so quickly to finish is that you skipped like half the game

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Right now... the only paralogues open are 1-4 which I beat, 12, 17, and then some paralogues I got over spotpass, but the rest are still locked.

grinding for supports isn't really even that much of a pain, man

use a reeking box on an early map (the arena works really well, I've found), throw in the two units you want to support, have them pair up, press start during the enemy turn. it takes like a minute.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

persona Q isn't bad, but it is trivially easy to break and it overstays its welcome pretty badly. The writing has its moments, (Shinjiro is the singular character who gets better with each spinoff he appears in) but there's also a lot of "my single exaggerated character trait will bounce off your exaggerated character trait in the most obvious way possible". How far you get will probably be determined by how much of a Persona fan you are.

Music's great though. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

SO tales of symphonia is getting an HD edition to be released on the PC.

I liked tales of symphonia when it was new, I thought it was an interesting adventure tale with a decent story, but can someone tell me why THIS part of the series keeps being mentioned after all this time? I liked the combat system at the time, but other than the graphics and final boss I only finished it because I bought it and had nothing else to do.

Also, I've been super pumped up to dive into Front Mission 3, I heard from the video that recommended it that it has two very distinct paths, one that is much harder than the other with different story connotations, I only have time in my life to play one time, so which path is the 'true good' version of the stoy?

As someone who likes Tales games but has never played Symphonia, this makes me very happy. Now if only Xillia or Graces could get on pc...

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SMTIV had alignment characters that were pretty likable, I thought, even if Isabeau was pretty much a non-entity. Walter and Jonathon, bros for life.

Of course that still all goes down the shitter once you get a route. :v:

I picked Law my first playthrough just because I really liked Jonathon, I was so pissed when they killed him off right away and put an angel in his skin.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

How much do Jude and Millia's routes differ in Tales of Xillia? I've heard that Jude's route has some pretty important story stuff, but I just wanna play as the cool anime lady, man.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's practically the same until near the end where Milla does some stuff off on her own and then rejoins the team to find that like fifteen plot twists went by.

That actually sounds kind of neat (in a really dumb way) but I guess I'll be playing as Jude, then! Thanks y'all.

On a side note, man is the Heliord fight against the Tweedles in Vesperia some bullshit: Yes, game, I did want a surprisingly difficult boss fight after 20 minutes of cutscenes, alone and with absolutely no chance to save or get healing items.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Celery Face posted:

Thanks for all the advice. Those two on my list of PS2 games to buy. Gotta get around to playing more than an hour of Nocturne though. Good thing about the DDS games is that they're very cheap compared a lot of the other old RPGs. Just yesterday, I found out that Wild Arms got a PS2 remake. I looked up the prices and it was 100 bucks minimum.

the PS2 SMT games got another print run a while back, which is why they're a whole lot cheaper than most other JRPGs from that time period.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

Karol's fight with that one boss is really easy.

The boss itself sucks, but yeah, you don't even need to try to fight it with solo Karol. Running around in circles works just as well. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

smenj posted:

Well, to be honest, it's worth knowing whether a game "shows its age" or not, since not everyone's willing to put up with it, and not all games do it to the same degree. I can't speak for the PS1 Persona games since I've haven't played them, but something like the PS1 Spyro games still control really well, and only "show their age" in fairly minor ways, like bad voice acting and not having checkpoint saves, whereas many others can be really frustrating to get into nowadays, even if you're willing to deal with the age of the game. A pretty valid complaint, I think.

The combat in the PS1 Persona games (especially 1, but also the 2's to a lesser extent) is a complete slog even for PS1-era games, and the encounter rate was way too high from what I remember. The story and characters are still fantastic, though, so I'd say they're still worth a try if you can stomach the gameplay.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Prism posted:

Depends on the game but usually the majority (60+ in the case of Suikoden 5, 76 for Suikoden 1).

A bunch of them are bad enough you wouldn't want to, though. There's usually about 30-40 that are worth anything at all and about 15-20 that are clearly the best options.

There may be 76 characters in Suikoden 1, but who knows if you'll ever use them all because like half your party is composed of plot locked characters for pretty much the entire game. :v:

The convoy was the single greatest improvement the series implemented.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Any fun non-Squeenix RPGs on the iPad (and don't rely on audio for game mechanics) that people can recommend? It's the only way I can get away with playing games at work and I've played about as much DQ as I can handle.

War of Eustrath is a pretty good Super Robot Wars clone, though the battle animations are kinda poo poo. If you're looking for a more action-RPG feel, Mage Gauntlet and Wayward Souls are both fantastic.

The Sorcery games are more like gamecocks than traditional RPGs, but they're also a really good time. There's tons of branching paths, and your save carries over between games.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh man, I forgot about Wayward Sould, thanks for that. And I'll look into War of Eustrath.

Also it's been a while since I lurked the thread, but I seem to remember that the general opinion of Agarest games was not high. Is that true, or am I thinking of something else?

Also also, any opinions on Spectral Souls?

Agarest games aren't the greatest, yeah. They aren't anywhere near as fanservicy as their marketing would like you to think, but from what I've seen the gameplay is grindy and the writing is generic and boring.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

'lady's man who is awful at it' is such an archetype by now that i cant imagine someone seeing it as sexist

there is at least one person on the something awful dot com forums who thinks Ringabel from Bravely Default is similarly sexist, because he flirts with women

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Haven't gotten further in Celestian Tales than going through all the prologues (except the elf girl's, because I can't stand characters who refer to themselves in the third person) but I have to say I did not expect one of the player characters to flat out murder an unarmed man and steal his identity in his first five minutes of screentime. :ohdear:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Well I know the TO chat hasn't been the most flattering, but I still want to play through the game at least once in my life. I take it, based on the complaints about it, that I should avoid the PSP remake and play the PSX version?

The complaints are really about the game in general, the PSP remake is still a better version overall, I think.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The "choose your player character" mechanic of Celestian Tales reminded me of a game with a similar mechanic that I had completely forgotten about, The Spirit Engine 2. Has anyone else here played it? You choose a party of three out of nine possible player characters, and while there is understandably a fair amount of canned dialogue, it still has a surprising amount of unique events for specific characters and combinations.

I didn't finish it because I sucked at the combat system, but from what I remember the plot was pretty interesting. Also, it is one of the only RPGs I know where you can have a cool old lady as one of your main characters. It's available for free, so I'd say it's worth checking out.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

More Celestian Tales impressions, now that I'm further in:

The music is fantastic and the backgrounds are pretty, though I'm still feeling kind of iffy on the character sprites. I like the party's dynamic thus far, and it definitely helps that each character has their own distinct motivations. The quality of life stuff like full HP regen after a battle and shared XP is great, too.

Minor complaints: Though it's alright most of the time, your movement speed is way too slow for some of the larger maps. It takes a good few minutes just to get around the starting city. Also, it hits a personal pet peeve of mine by making loot a component in crafting but failing to inform you of this, meaning that it's easy to mistake it as vendor trash until it becomes relevant.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

knights in the nightmare is epic

The gameplay is really fun but I never had any idea what was actually going on in the story

Confusing even for a sting game

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

DA3 has one of the best Bioware parties (discounting Sera) and the main plotline's pretty fun.

The standard disclaimer is that you should ignore any quest that doesn't sound interesting to you, because there are a lot of worthless MMO-style quests, especially in the Hinterlands.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Are there any JRPGs that aren't about either racism metaphor or religion metaphor

there is fire emblem: radiant dawn, which is about racism and religion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

It definitely helps that you can just turn random encounters off to speed things along.