Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Harrow posted:

Well that is the most baffling possible pronunciation

it's so lazy I kinda love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lmao

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Aurora posted:

yes, the series known for being gay, persona

Man I wish :(

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dmboogie posted:

crossposting because i'm excited

I can never get into these games but Jeff Vogel is super cool and it rules that he's just out there doing his thing.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Getsuya posted:

Noticeably absent is the dog.

what's the loving point then

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

a sanrio RPG sounds ridiculously rad and I was so mad when I got the website and saw that it was for phones

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Fuckin play opoona

no

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Really Pants posted:

Dragon Quest XI is an excellent game despite having no standout qualities whatsoever

nothing stands out because everything is extremely good (except the music situation)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DrManiac posted:

Yeah I like dq 11’s story but it lets people who’ve done heinous poo poo just skate consequence free a few times in the game in a way that took me out of the story a bit.

did you miss the letter from your father teaching you live without hate in your heart

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Andrast posted:

I should probably try Pillars 2 at some point.

I really disliked Pillars 1 but everyone is saying that 2 is a lot better

Pillars 2 is a lot better than 1 but it's not like it's some must play game, I was kinda meh on it. There's a couple of standout locations and ideas but also a lot of stuff that just kinda whimpers out.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

unfortunately there's a lot of RNG in recruitment so you just have to keep trying until it sticks. giving the "right" answers and handing over items increases your odds but never quite to 100%. demons' specific recruitment skills can be effective; the "brainwash" demon skill is pretty good if your demon is significantly stronger than the target.

It's not unfortunate it's really fun. It's the best capture mechanic in any RPG lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The way people play these things is to like, load up a few games once to be like "woah... this is how gaming use to be..." then never play it again. It doesn't really matter if it's the less good Syphon Filter and Twisted Metal games on there lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I didn't see sylvando really as stereotypical in part because I feel like the game respected his theatricality, on like a deep level. It all fit in with the rest of the game and I love his arc a lot.

The only thing I had an issue was like, one or two lines with gay panic jokes, which I will sigh about and then continue on gaming. I refuse to media studies him further.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This is my experience talking, but I see so many gay men suppress their femininity that I can't get mad at sylvando for being rad lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

hahahahahahahaha

This loving series lmao

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

unlikely

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

PC ports are ideal for me, too. Put P4G and SMTIVA on Steam and I will be very. very happy.

They have to do it someday...right?

Yakuza is on PC anything is possible

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I picked up an Xbox 360 to play Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon cause I missed those back in the day and it was a good call LO rules. I'm only like four hours in but pretty much everything is rad, I like how the formations work and how it lays very lightly on top of the classic turn based stuff. I like how the themes of the story are very tightly woven into how it plays.

From what I've heard it eventually gets heavy but so far it's this brisk, like Keanu Reeves adventure movie with some interesting stuff just under the surface. Tho yea the Thousand Years of Dreams stuff gives off these huge gut punches on a regular basis.

I'm really pumped to play more and see where it goes!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lost Odyssey is extremely good, but you should keep a guide handy for finding all the Dreams. Some of them are obnoxiously obscure and missable.

I double checked and it looks like I can go back and grab the ones I missed at the end so I won't stress.

I just finished disk one and there's a part of me that wishes I didn't get it digital so I could do the swap, tho I think if I bought it used there would be a good chance something was scratched and that's terrifying.

Barudak posted:

The items do, but there are two spells that you can miss since the areas they are part of still technically exist even if the shops that sell them updated their inventory due to story progression, so you can miss them forever.

Should I worry about this for any reason other than completionism?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Barudak posted:

They're pretty good mid-tier spells that also are needed for combination magics. You don't technically need them for beating the game or post-game, but you probably wouldn't want to be without them.

The two spells are Shieldus and Barricadus and are available in the towns of Saman and Ghotza, but only the first times through.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Terper posted:

Berseria is the best one cus it's the only one I've played more than 50% of, and also because it's really good.

Berseria owns cause Velvet is hot

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

quote:

But the real disrespect comes from the errors and problems that made it through to the final build of the game. Let’s start with Alex. In general, I am not a fan of him. I don’t like his attitude and personal choices. (Two of the options to begin romantic relationships with other characters have him picking an option to "kiss" someone after they talk about a traumatic experience in their life, which feels predatory.) But the real reason I hate him is because I played 26 hours of this game and, throughout the duration of it, he routinely managed to only do between 1-3 damage to any enemy.

lmao

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

MY WIFE

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

his TWO BROTHERS thing is really bizarre because having the character talk about a pretentious obscure indie game could be a chance to have some humor and characterize him better. like, it's not hard to come up with a ridiculous pretentious obscure indie game idea and have Alex talk about it, and then it's clear to the reader that this is silly and Alex is supposed to come across as smug and pretentious. having him love the developer's own game makes it like... am I supposed to think Alex is really smart because he likes this? is he supposed to, like, be right?

this is a game with an Iwata grave in it. this is world where context means nothing

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Watching the video finally broke me. That's enough YIIK. I understand now. Lemonade

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CaptainScraps posted:

I broke down and bought YIIK so I can stream and mock it.

they're gonna bad rats their way to a billion dollars

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

One is a major historical event and the other is a private tragedy that people were already overly invasive about. Not even close to comparable.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The only thing that comes to mind is the slenderman movie, and even that isn't based on the actual event.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How is that game btw?

not good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CaptainScraps posted:

My wife once described it to me as this: "If the entire internet is mall, you're in the bathroom, pointing at the clogged toilet and claiming the entire place sucks. But you're laughing."

Us. That's us.

your wife sucks

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

With YIIK being inspired by him I feel it's worth bringing up that DFW abused a woman and no one cared.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Andrast posted:

Every game needs a fishing minigame.

No exceptions.

ESPECIALLY fishing games

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Getsuya posted:

Trying to pick between
Crosscode
Hollow Knight
Slay the Spire
Into the Breach
Heartbeat
Subnautica
Dead Cells
Wargroove

get that BREACH

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cephas posted:

i don't really know how people die in the tutorial on normal mode since the game autoheals you, but it supposedly can happen. I guess play a bit cautiously against the tutorial boss and heal early? if you really want you could set the difficulty to easy for the tutorial just in case. ignore hard mode for a first playthrough even if you like difficult action games--the game is balanced around normal difficulty.

I did lol. It was just being unlucky and getting hit with two saw blades at the same time.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Octopath has a structural problem that goes beyond just the lack of party banter in that every story is told in chunks of about the same size, with the same kind of gameplay, with the same number of banters, etc. The only time they mix it up is a single tournament chapter that happens to be one of the best.

I don't want like dungeon puzzles necessarily but even like a non-linear dungeon would have been a breath of fresh air.

It's still a really good game though, largely cause the battle system is really fun and there's good writing in a lot of places. I find the lack of party interaction easier to deal with cause I thought putting the characters you're not using in the pub was cute. There's a lot of little things in the game that keep things feeling solid even if it does boil down to something repetitive.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The main problem with Octopath is it leans a little too hard in 16-bit RPG's at the expense of sane modernized advances.

Once you get more than four party members, the excess should be sitting in reserve and able to be swapped out freely at any time while earning full XP. The level gaps between some Chapters for certain characters can really jump.

I actually really liked that, the game is balanced around having weaker and stronger party members and means you have to understand every character. It's definitely not right for every rpg but it's good for Octopath.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Andrast posted:

Is it? My overleveled MC demolished a ton of content that would have been fun to fight at a more reasonable level.

I never had that issue but I also played with the encounter rate low

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dmboogie posted:

as much as i love cold steel im not sure i'd call it "big budget"

It's big budget for a vita game lol. The level of polish and attention to detail is very high so I'd say it feels like a bigger budget game than it is.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Taear posted:

Cold Steel I'm put off by because I hated the Trails In The Sky game (the first one) so very, very much. The combat there is too slow, everything takes goddamn ages and I want to just get on with it.

Did you use the turbo button? Cold Steel is a huge improvement on pacing even if you never touch the turbo button so you might want to take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

OddObserver posted:

LOL, the ESRB description of L&S is nonsense:

lmao oh no