Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

pretty sure i spent more time playing baseball than i did in kamurocho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i've been doing a quest in unlimited saga a day. laura's campaign. i feel like i mostly know what i'm doing now aside from blacksmithing. i've read a lot about it so like i know the damascus formula by heart but aside from that i'm still not sure what i should be looking for in shops, or what i should be trying to make. having the entire inventory of every shop change after completing quests gives me some fomo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I spent the weekend playing a lot of QUESTER, which recently got an English translation patched in. It's a super minimal dungeon crawler like Dungeon Encounters, with a similar amount of story in it (none). There aren't any obscure math puzzles and exploring its flat dungeon isn't as cool as jumping up and down floors in DE, but the character building and battle systems are definitely more interesting. Every daily excursion into the dungeon is limited by an energy supply, which decreases with every step you take and action you perform. Energy is also spent to fully recover your party after battles, and raising characters from the dead costs a lot of it. When you run out, you're automatically returned to your current base camp and the day ends. As you explore you need to collect food, which is put toward a "food quota" you're required to meet every 10 days.

With equipment and abilities gained from leveling up, you build your characters out with what are essentially decks of actions they can perform in battle. Each of your party members can take up to 3 actions in a round, but each costs action points and resources to be used. You've got 5 party members each taking up to 3 actions per round, plus some number of enemies also taking multiple actions each. Targeting is handled automatically, and once a round starts there are so many things flying back and forth it kind of ends up feeling like you're entering a program and then just setting it loose to see how it performs. Not too tough up to where I'm at, but satisfying to try and optimize.

You don't build a party when you start the game, it just hands you a preset one made up of the usual archetypes. As you discover base camps sometimes new characters will be randomly chosen from the pool and given to you. There are 24 characters spread across 8 classes, but characters of the same class have their own stats and don't always learn the same abilities as one another, or at least do so in a different order.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

xuan yuan sword 3 came out on steam. it's a bad mobile port/remake with some ugly gameplay changes and the english translation is a mess, which all sucks because it's apparently a beloved classic, but i do appreciate that every few minutes i walk into a math problem

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Unlimited saga remaster let's goooo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

GrandpaPants posted:

Where's my indie 7th Saga-like?

This

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

New saga and vanillaware ogre battle oh baby

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh poo poo!!!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1702346769336787252

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The 7th Guest posted:

important saga detail: one of your party members is just a cat. literally just a large black cat

One of the other characters looks just like Macha, one of the major gods from Scarlet Grace, who inexplicably showed up as an optional boss with a turn limit in a random quest or two. 🤔

Her music was good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pquTpiKPt4c

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

so is wandering sword good, whats up

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

GOTY 2022 Astlibra Revision comes out on Switch today.

Wow this game must be really good, you should probably play it, especially if you like Ys games, satisfying progression, and plots that just never stop escalating.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zaggitz posted:

Any beginner tips for Astlibra? I've gotten up to the Arena unlocking and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the mechanics and am completely unsure how to allocate my stats.

Should I be clearing arena tiers as they unlock? Is there any miss able content? Help me gamers.

You're not committed to your stats, you can redistribute the points every time you level up or visit one of those little blue gems that show up in stores and the arena lobby.

Attack speed is more important than anything else. Your equipped weapon's weight stat gets plugged into some formula behind the scenes and you end up with your "gross weight", which is shown at the bottom of the equip screen. No idea what the math is, but all you need to know is that putting points into your Speed stat increases agility, which reduces gross weight, which makes weapons swing faster. I usually aim for about 50 gross weight with whatever weapon I'm using.

Other things that increase attack speed:
* Equipping accessories with agility bonuses
* Putting items with Weight Reduction on your scales in the Libra menu
* There's a Karon skill that bumps weapons up to the next handling class, so they attack faster.

Once you've reached a speed you like, you can just put the rest of your points wherever you like. They do what they say they do, you don't need to think that much about it. Magic only makes spells and the projectiles fired by magic rod weapons stronger. Don't bother with Adaptability until you need it. You'll know when you need it. Boost Luck when you're grinding for rare drops, but take those points out of Luck and put them somewhere else when you're doing the arena. Respecing is free so just do it all the time!

You can clear arena quests as they appear. You don't have to, so if you're getting frustrated it's OK to come back later. Just don't forget to do them, you're going to want those rewards.

There's nothing permanently missable.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

15 minutes of Unicorn Overlord. Looks like parts of the beginning of the game and then some clips from later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQIc2tUCA98

Sure looks like an Ogre Battle but you can wander around the map, talk to people, and do side quests in between stages.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone hear anything about this or try it out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0BKmgKen4

drat it's November could everyone stop releasing games I might want to play for a while

Knuckle Sandwich is out in a couple of days too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Amppelix posted:

isn't that like 2008?

you know what, yeah it counts, we can't be discounting the very few examples of this that actually exist lol

They put Shiren 3 out in English, also in 2008.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

another long-awaited yiik-like out today https://store.steampowered.com/app/1012570/Knuckle_Sandwich/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

I tried the Astlibra demo (I bought the full game, but it encourages you to do the demo first) and it was fine, but I don’t feel like I have enough mobility to actually avoid boss attacks, and I can’t figure out how to aim the arrows upward to hit targets, so I’m concerned that as things get more difficult I will basically just be stuck button-mashing and occasionally popping off a special power if I remember the combo for it

not the end of the world, but I’m used to feeling like I have more agency over RPG combat or something

You've got a shield that blocks everything until your guard breaks, a back dodge (unlockable in ch.1) that's 100% iframes but has a cooldown, and while casting spells you're invincible for some amount of time but hey that costs mp. Since they each have a limitation you end up cycling through your defensive options all the time.

It's a good idea to keep a cheap spell with lots of iframes equipped. The first dark spell throws you really far in the direction you're facing, while the first water spell lets you move around freely while invincible. They both cost very little to cast.

The Karon skill that makes blocking with the shield instant + let's you do it while jumping is nice to have equipped too.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 25, 2023

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Poppers posted:

Wots a good action rpg on switch. I have begrudgingly accepted they won't port phantasy star 1

astlibra

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They announced yesterday that Crystal Project is coming out on Switch on 1/12 if anyone was waiting for that

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

More rpg soccer moms

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

store page for the Astlibra roguelike mode DLC went up, supposed to be out soon https://store.steampowered.com/app/2669360/ASTLIBRA_Gaiden_The_Cave_of_Phantom_Mist/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you've been doing the arena you probably have a bunch of usable ranged weapons in your inventory. don't ignore those things, they do crazy damage

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

upping your speed enough to let you swing long rear end weapons is a great way to not get owned by enemies that don't always have clear attack windups. i just respec for whichever weapon i'm using at the time

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Einander posted:

The mean thing about that is that they don't tell you until like 5 dungeons in that you can change your in-dungeon party display to a split party/mini-map set-up with the Alt key. And there's no key remapping, so you can't even see that it's an option in that menu. Even when your Phone menu map doesn't work in darkness, the mini-map still works fine. Basically no occasion where you don't want the mini-map up.

I recently saw a message for that in the Sakuya FOE section. maybe it was patched in after release

Ofecks posted:

Ran across this yesterday: https://archive.org/details/Popixel-PhantasyStar/mode/2up

It's a fan-made strategy guide for the first Phantasy Star! I guess that's not all that exciting nowadays but I flipped through it and it really looks like something that might have been published in the '90s. You can tell the makers really love the game. Look at the bottom corners of each page - if you get it printed and flip through it, it's the walking animation for the party. That's just :3:

Was looking up information about BUSIN 0, one of the ps2 Wizardry games that never came out here, and found that someone has created an enormous 600 page strategy/translation guide for it in the same vein. In awe at the effort.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Crystal Project is out on Switch today

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kingsvein, from the Horizon's Gate dev, comes out on Tuesday. Some YouTubers have gotten their hands on it and it's sounding good.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2276830/Kingsvein/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HQkJQrDC7o

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Shiren 4 english patch came out today!

https://twitter.com/keke_094/status/1746698119386194421

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/7175/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The people working on Linda Cubed were apparently aiming for Christmas and just missed it so: soon, maybe

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Got a real unicorn smorgasbord of good games coming out this year, what the hell

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

great thing about the steam version of astlibra gaiden is keizo more than doubled the length of the old freeware version which meant he got to shove in a bunch more hot royalty free jams

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can explore the entire starting country but it won't let you leave. Rescuing Scarlett ends the demo immediately.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

GateOfD posted:

What’s going to be most anticipated jrpg to be released for the rest of the year after most people are done with Rebirth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MppOBbkq6Dw

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I also like what I've heard of the dub. Can't remember the last time I heard a Scottish lady in a game. Probably in a Dragon Quest.

There's almost no voice acting after each character's intro anyway.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I like all the SaGa’s, but RS 3 I think might be my favorite SNES game. It’s not even obtuse feeling or anything.

I think if RS3 had been released in the West at the time it would just be one of those classic SNES games everyone knows.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 6, 2024

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't care what they're called so long as i know what you're talking about when you call them that. i'm cool and above it all

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Secret plays the best because it doesn't slow your movement to a crawl any time enemies are around. Also you don't need to charge all the time, just hitting the button at 100% is enough for most of the game. :cheers:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's like dragon's dogma 1

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Delsaber posted:

I wish all fast travel in video games worked like Viki in the Suikodens. 75% of the time you get where you wanted to go, 20% chance she sneezes and sends you someplace random, 5% you end up on the closed top floor of an inn with a chest containing, I dunno, an old book or a window pane or whatever

metal max games usually have a location that you can only reach for the first time by random teleporter accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What game channels Cromartie, where everyone looks like a hardened badass, but in reality the entire cast is completely inept and rock-stupid except for the robot.

that's yakuza